Perfect example why money is the root of all evil in US politics.

Serendipity

The exchange below suggests otherwise.

I'm anti-nationalism and hardly think America is the best at everything, but don't try even attempt to act like your sh*t doesn't stink.

What in the world are you talking about? When Flip said "Money and politics naturally go hand in hand" I responded by saying "not really". There are actually countries in the world that have been able to remove money from politics. Then and only then will you have politicians actually work for the citizen that voted them in rather then the corp/special interest/union/big business whatever that finance there campaign.

What in the world are you talking about? When Flip said "Money and politics naturally go hand in hand" I responded by saying "not really". There are actually countries in the world that have been able to remove money from politics. Then and only then will you have politicians actually work for the citizen that voted them in rather then the corp/special interest/union/big business whatever that finance there campaign.

Might one of those countries be Canada?

It's still an exchange of favor. Votes for actions. de Tocqueville was right all those 175+ years ago.

If you believe that money is the basis of the problem of governance, then you should be more concerned about how much of it is under the dominion or regulation of government. That's what makes those in control of it's management valuable to coerce, whether by vote or campaign contribution.

It's still an exchange of favor. Votes for actions. de Tocqueville was right all those 175+ years ago.

If you believe that money is the basis of the problem of governance, then you should be more concerned about how much of it is under the dominion or regulation of government. That's what makes those in control of it's management valuable to coerce, whether by vote or campaign contribution.

Not unless they benefit from that coercion, which they certainly do from private contributions.

Hey bob in case you didn't figure this out, this isn't a Canada versus US thing. As an outsider I just pointed out what I think is the flagrant flaw in US politics and that is allowing outside money into the election process.

http://graphics.eiu.com/PDF/Democracy_Index_2010_web.pdf, Just to prove that this is neither a canada is awesome thing(in reality the scandavians are better and have been for a few years) and america is not the only country with issues (see United Kingdom or if we all want to feel better the Italians).

But i must disagree as money whilst being both a cause and a symptom, is also part of the greater problem of the entire nature of the political systems in and im using the two most familiar examples to me of the U.K and the U.S.

In both these countries the problem is as i see it two fold firstly there is a gap between the people and their representatives that is bordering on unbridgeable and secondly that politics itself has become less about decision making and the correct choices and more about "winning" that is to say there is an emphasis on bi-partisanship and redecutive thinking. In essence in both the U.K and U.S it's more about being the one to push the button than actually making sure the right button is pushed.

Edited by deja entendu

http://graphics.eiu.com/PDF/Democracy_Index_2010_web.pdf, Just to prove that this is neither a canada is awesome thing(in reality the scandavians are better and have been for a few years) and america is not the only country with issues (see United Kingdom or if we all want to feel better the Italians).

But i must disagree as money whilst being both a cause and a symptom, is also part of the greater problem of the entire nature of the political systems in and im using the two most familiar examples to me of the U.K and the U.S.

In both these countries the problem is as i see it two fold firstly there is a gap between the people and their representatives that is bordering on unbridgeable and secondly that politics itself has become less about decision making and the correct choices and more about "winning" that is to say there is an emphasis on bi-partisanship and redecutive thinking. In essence in both the U.K and U.S it's more about being the one to push the button than actually making sure the right button is pushed.

It's flagrant when it comes to US politics, most often then not you can trace what a congressman or senator or president for that matter votes on by following the money trail. Compared to Canada not so much.

"Corporations, trade unions, associations and groups may not make political contributions."

Individual Canadians can contribute a max of 1,100 $

Remove the money from the electral process and you will get a new government one that governs for the people instead of the corporations.

Edited by Serendipity

1. But i must disagree as money whilst being both a cause and a symptom, is also part of the greater problem of the entire nature of the political systems in and im using the two most familiar examples to me of the U.K and the U.S.

2. In both these countries the problem is as i see it two fold firstly there is a gap between the people and their representatives that is bordering on unbridgeable

1. No, it's money.

2. Right, there is a gap between the people and their representatives, because our representatives have been bought and paid for.

If you don't think money is the biggest problem in American politics, you aren't paying attention. It really is that simple.

It's flagrant when it comes to US politics, most often then not you can trace what a congressman or senator or president for that matter votes on by following the money trail. Compared to Canada not so much.

"Corporations, trade unions, associations and groups may not make political contributions."

Individual Canadians can contribute a max of 1,100 $

Remove the money from the electral process and you will get a new government one that governs for the people instead of the corporations.

Sorry, I meant to +1 you.

Maybe when some Americans stop thinking they're the center of the universe and actually watch and LEARN on("on" does not need to be here) how other countrys(when saying "country" in plural form, we delete the y and add ies) operate(add a comma) things might change. Or you can continue chatting (add quotations)we're number 1(add exclamation point & close quotes) over and over again(finish thought by adding a period) RAWR RAWR RAWR. :lol:

The Canadian school system must really suck. I've noted some helpful tips for future reference. :D

Anyways, governments all over the world are guilty of being driven by money. Always have been and always will be. Of course, Canada is the exception to that as they do everything they do because it is the polite thing to do. You guys and gals north of the border sure are swell.

The Canadian school system must really suck. I've noted some helpful tips for future reference. :D

Anyways, governments all over the world are guilty of being driven by money. Always have been and always will be. Of course, Canada is the exception to that as they do everything they do because it is the polite thing to do. You guys and gals north of the border sure are swell.

My God you're an idiot and I'm saying that in the most polite way possible.

You're unbelievably naive if you don't think there isn't any kind of under the table dealing inside the Canadian government.

:lol:

You do realize it's AGAINST the law for corps , unions and such to make contributions right?

You do realize that our system of government compare to the US is totally different right?

That our elections take no more then 6 weeks right?

Reading your post made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXxO95_z10s&feature=player_embedded#!