I'm not trying to defend the show since I'm fairly skeptical about how good it will be, but note that the rate of large meteor strikes back then is the same that it is now. The various eras of dinosaurs made up about 100 million years. You could start a small society with our current level of knowledge, and turn it into a society advanced enough to redirect an asteroid within a thousand years or so.

Guest Absconditus

I watched some previews of FOX's new show titled: Terra Nova and it got me thinking.. Why in the h3ll did they go back to the days where dinos ruled? Did they forget that a huge asteroid will wipe out the dinos?

Do you mean in the show or do you mean by the scientific theory?

If they already spoiled the fact that they're gonna have an asteroid wipe out the dinos then this show is pointless.

Edited by Absconditus

If they already spoiled the fact that they're gonna have an asteroid wipe out the dinos then this show is pointless.

How would this effect their religon? Noah's Ark? Jesus? Adam and Eve? The fact their actions would have already altered the course of the future?

Edited by pdawg29

Well the dinos were wiped out due to the asteroid, if we went back in time and stopped it, we will still be dealing with T-rex's today I would say.

Guest Absconditus

Well the dinos were wiped out due to the asteroid, if we went back in time and stopped it, we will still be dealing with T-rex's today I would say.

I don't think the whole dino being wiped out with a single asteroid thing is accepted as scientific fact though.

I agree that it's likely the main cause, but I don't think that it's proven.

Perhaps man going back in time, in this television show, is the extinction of dinosaurs. Did I just blow your mind?

I don't think the whole dino being wiped out with a single asteroid thing is accepted as scientific fact though.

I agree that it's likely the main cause, but I don't think that it's proven.

Perhaps man going back in time, in this television show, is the extinction of dinosaurs. Did I just blow your mind?

Or the inspiration for The Flintstones!

I saw that trailer. The earth is poisoned by burning fossil fuels so a bunch of people go back millions of years to start over. I'm not up on my science, but if their society's problem was reliance on fossil fuels, presumably they never found a solution. Now that far in the past, nature hasn't finished cooking oil/natural gas deposits, so how do these people run their hummers?

I saw that trailer. The earth is poisoned by burning fossil fuels so a bunch of people go back millions of years to start over. I'm not up on my science, but if their society's problem was reliance on fossil fuels, presumably they never found a solution. Now that far in the past, nature hasn't finished cooking oil/natural gas deposits, so how do these people run their hummers?

That's an easy one:

Portable_Air_Compressor_with_25L_Tank.jpg

I watched some previews of FOX's new show titled: Terra Nova and it got me thinking.. Why in the h3ll did they go back to the days where dinos ruled? Did they forget that a huge asteroid will wipe out the dinos?

If they go back 85 million years, they'll have approximately 20 million years before the Chicxulub impact. Keep in mind, Homo sapiens have only been around for about 175,000 years. I think the asteroid impact is the least of their worries.

If they go back 85 million years, they'll have approximately 20 million years before the Chicxulub impact. Keep in mind, Homo sapiens have only been around for about 175,000 years. I think the asteroid impact is the least of their worries.

20 million years of T-rex, rapters, etc.. sounds fun for humanity in that show lol.

Edited by Skar

Was anyone else reminded of Avatar? One of the main characters seems to be playing a similar role as he did in that movie. Maybe they should have picked someone else.

Even so, I will be watching along with everyone else. Hopefully its a good series.

I was reminded of Earth 2. The popular sci-fi formula of remote location shoots and cheap effects.

Was anyone else reminded of Avatar? One of the main characters seems to be playing a similar role as he did in that movie. Maybe they should have picked someone else.

Even so, I will be watching along with everyone else. Hopefully its a good series.

it reminded me a LOT of Jurassic Park meets Avatar. i'll definitely be giving this show a chance though as i've always had a fascination with dinosaurs.

Wait so you are telling me that instead of just switching to a cleaner energy source we invent a time machine that can transport a bunch of people.... Thats the easier option.

We are F*cked....