THE SECONDARY!

caveman

Go ahead and berate me for bringing up a subject that has been discussed many times before, but then is then

and now is now. We already have to assume certian things on defense -- That Edwards will improve the pass rush

and that Jerry and/or Peters will become an impact player. Thank God we resigned Nicolas at LB, or this position would be a major concern.

The secondary is the area that is already thin (at best), and an injury or two from becoming a total disaster.

I think it's the same hammy bothering Daunta as before. He is our best CB and he 'must' be able to play!

I'm not going to re-open the debate on Grime's size -- he has great abilities for a guy 5'8". There are some

match-ups that he simply can't overcome the differential. Can he really be expected to cover a Calvin Johnson

type -- or even a type like our own Julio Jones? It's established that the Falcons run the nickel on the majority of their total defensive plays. So, even if Robinson and Grimes stay healthy, are we confident that

Owens and Franks are starting caliber players for a Super Bowl team? A team should be 4 deep at CB and 3 deep

at safety, assuming that the 3rd safety can play free or strong (like Coleman could do). Another defensive assumption is that Moore and DeCoud will stay healthy, and continue to improve.

And my 'final' ASSUMPTION, is that TD will do what is necessary to make the secondary strong enough to compete

for a championship!!

Go ahead and berate me for bringing up a subject that has been discussed many times before, but then is then

and now is now. We already have to assume certian things on defense -- That Edwards will improve the pass rush

and that Jerry and/or Peters will become an impact player. Thank God we resigned Nicolas at LB, or this position would be a major concern.

The secondary is the area that is already thin (at best), and an injury or two from becoming a total disaster.

I think it's the same hammy bothering Daunta as before. He is our best CB and he 'must' be able to play!

I'm not going to re-open the debate on Grime's size -- he has great abilities for a guy 5'8". There are some

match-ups that he simply can't overcome the differential. Can he really be expected to cover a Calvin Johnson

type -- or even a type like our own Julio Jones? It's established that the Falcons run the nickel on the majority of their total defensive plays. So, even if Robinson and Grimes stay healthy, are we confident that

Owens and Franks are starting caliber players for a Super Bowl team? A team should be 4 deep at CB and 3 deep

at safety, assuming that the 3rd safety can play free or strong (like Coleman could do). Another defensive assumption is that Moore and DeCoud will stay healthy, and continue to improve.

And my 'final' ASSUMPTION, is that TD will do what is necessary to make the secondary strong enough to compete

for a championship!!

i agree totally..we need to pick up a good nickel. seeing that Franks could cover a 4th wr with easy

Edited by dirtydirty10984

nope. with the exception Christopher Owens, who may just be having brain farts our secondary ain't that bad. one thing I've noticed about our secondary is that they whiff on a lot of sacks. BVG has to keep putting pressure on the QBs because our DBs are good to cover 4 or 5 seconds. Grimes is our only corner that plays well in zone coverage, so maybe we should try shadow coverage in preseason and see how our defense responds.

I agree, it is a HUGE concern. Dunta is an injury waiting to happen, Owens is terribad, Grimes is opportunistic but certainly didn't deserve to be in the probowl (reminds me of DHall with out the additude) and Franks hasn't done anything....

We're putting out the same unit that didn't force a punt in the entire GB game....facepalm

I agree, it is a HUGE concern. Dunta is an injury waiting to happen, Owens is terribad, Grimes is opportunistic but certainly didn't deserve to be in the probowl (reminds me of DHall with out the additude) and Franks hasn't done anything....

We're putting out the same unit that didn't force a punt in the entire GB game....facepalm

huh :blink:

for a championship!!

So let's say TD sitting still with what he has is what he feels is necessary for the secondary? Would you still feel the secondary is inadequate?

If you give Aaron Rogers 3 seconds or more to look for a reciever just about every play, of course he's gonna carve up our secondary. Hence why we upgraded our pass rush over the offseason. If edwards performs as expected, our corners jobs will be much easier.

If you give Aaron Rogers 3 seconds or more to look for a reciever just about every play, of course he's gonna carve up our secondary. Hence why we upgraded our pass rush over the offseason. If edwards performs as expected, our corners jobs will be much easier.

Fair point, but who's to say that Abe is going to keep it up this year? He is getting up in age and probably won't be able to be the same player as he was last year.

That being said, I think that our defence is going to be very heavily dependent on the play of the interior line. They seem like the unit that is ripe for improvement on the pass rushing front, so hopefully they'll be the answer to the secondary's problems.

for a championship!!

I believe Franks will be a pleasant surprise, and from what I hear, Walls will be a contributor. We'll be fine.

CB

1-Robinson

2-Grimes

3-Franks

4-Owens

5-Walls

S

1-DeCoud

2-Moore

3-Shillinger

4-Bush

LB

1-Weatherspoon

2-Lofton

3-Nicholas

4-Peterson

5-Wire

6-Dent

DE

1-Abraham

2-Edwards

3-Biermann

4-Davis

5-Sidbury

6-Matthews

DT

1-Babinaux

2-Peters

3-Jerry

4-Walker

That is 25 which is generally what you have on each side of the ball. I dont see us adding a man to the secondary. I hope Peters and Walker are healthy for the final cut. If we are forced to keep 5 DT's because half of the regular rotation is banged up, I think that player will come from another team. If we add a DT, I think we subtract a DE. That could be Davis because of money, but I think he would be hard to trade because he would still count against the cap. Sidbury would have more trade value than Matthews based on experience. I think Sidbury might fit better with a 3-4 team. I am concerned about his play vs the run. As a 3-4 edge rusher, I think his ability to cover would be a bigger deal than run defense, and I think he actually drops back into coverage ok. Then again, we may have plans for him in that role on nickel blitzes.

So your the trash can where they store the skin left over from circumcision. Thanks bud be tough keep my peter clean all these years if you didn't handle all the left over peter skin from peeps.

your mind is telling you no, but your heart says yes. i will be there week 2. Be patient my son, the end is near.

Edited by YKW

Fair point, but who's to say that Abe is going to keep it up this year? He is getting up in age and probably won't be able to be the same player as he was last year.

That being said, I think that our defence is going to be very heavily dependent on the play of the interior line. They seem like the unit that is ripe for improvement on the pass rushing front, so hopefully they'll be the answer to the secondary's problems.

You are a friggin saints fan aren't ya!