From a Republican's Viewpoint: Rick Perry

Newt has a long way to go just to be respectively in last place at this point. Bachman makes people nervous and Romney looked to win by default before Perry. Obama is at the mercy of the economy from here on out, it doesnt matter much who the opponent will be.

Sidenote: If Chris Christy ever gets into the race it will be the equivalent of Elvis walking onto the stage.

Yeah, I've heard that from both sides of the arena.

Is that comparison to Elvis a good or bad thing?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Republican, but I feel like throwing out a response anyways.

He believes that a single thought in his head (in this case, a prayer) can influence the national economy. This alone disqualifies him for me.

True. His "Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas" didn't exactly do anything but allow the problem to get worse. Much worse.

Please don't put that joke in the same category as Paul. Perry is as crooked of a politician as I've ever seen.

No....I didn't intend to. I just find them both interesting.

I like certain things about Perry, but there are other things that bother me a lot.

I like just about everything about Ron Paul. It's too bad he is ignored and shunned by the big machine.

I just know that when Karl Rove says a comment is over the top.......... that says something.

He was a master at having way over the top statements to help bush get elected.

So for him to denounce comments made by the right....... about a guy originally appointed by a republican president... IMO that says volumes.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/conservative-opinion-makers-voice-protest-over-rick-perry-211221596.html

I just know that when Karl Rove says a comment is over the top.......... that says something.

So for him to denounce comments made by the right....... about a guy originally appointed by a republican president... IMO that says volumes.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/conservative-opinion-makers-voice-protest-over-rick-perry-211221596.html

Haha Karl Rove was nickname Turd Blossom by Bush.

No kidding. I don't know that I've ever seen so many presidential bids stumbling so badly during their inaugural weeks. And Perry is considered a heavy weight contender for the nomination. I've often said that party primaries today are basically contests to out-stupid the other candidates. One candidate proposes lowering corporate taxes by 10%. Another counters with a plan to cut them in half. Yet another says we should cut them to 0%.

And here you have Rick Perry essentially eliminating his general election chances the first week of his campaign with this stupid chest-thumping. Seriously, WTF is wrong with these people? Why can't they understand that they are ignoring the few candidates who have a serious chance of winning against Obama in November?

Who would that be?

Jon Huntsman, for one. Tim Pawlenty could have if he hadn't gone full blown tea party with the economic policies. Rudy Guilliani would give him a run if he had a chance at the nomination. There are plenty of candidates and potential candidates that are getting ignored by these side-show tea party favorites. It's just sad to watch.

Huntsman endorsed Paul Ryan's plan.

He didn't exactly endorse it, at least not that I've heard. What I heard him say was that it was one of many options he would consider. It's unfortunate that he feels the need to pander to the tea party wing of the GOP (see debate question about 10-to-1 deficit deal) and he's tacking too much to the right in order to appeal to primary voters. And that is the problem with the modern GOP in a nutshell--they take their most electable candidates and force them to take non-serious, fringe positions that ruin their general election chances.

They did it to McCain, they did it to Newt, they did it to Pawlenty, they're in the process of doing it to Huntsman and Romney, and they're doing it to every candidate who can be called "serious". And while forcing serious candidates to the fringe, they're supporting as their front-runners people who are certifiable whack jobs.

Pawlenty didn't just endorse the Ryan plan. He put up his own, even more radical plan, and hence jumped the tea party shark.

He didn't exactly endorse it, at least not that I've heard. What I heard him say was that it was one of many options he would consider. It's unfortunate that he feels the need to pander to the tea party wing of the GOP (see debate question about 10-to-1 deficit deal) and he's tacking too much to the right in order to appeal to primary voters. And that is the problem with the modern GOP in a nutshell--they take their most electable candidates and force them to take non-serious, fringe positions that ruin their general election chances.

Maybe he's not pandering. Maybe he believes it actually is a good plan.