Miami @ Atlanta Thoughts

IMO the Falcon Organization should be happy with the starters and individual personnel they were watching. We put up points fast which I think was the whole ideal of our draft. Defense looked solid for the most part Chris Owens is not the answer. But here are some opinions:

1. Eric Weems is not happy with JPW-the second quarter triple coverage from JPW to Weems would have any WR upset with their QB.

2. Blitzing the NB is a good thing.

3. Weems return the freaking punt when no1 is around you! Weems "Coach told me to fair catch." Ok I understand :rolleyes:

4. Julio dangerous? He** yeah!

5. Doubt JA55 is going to be in coverage, but nice versatility from "Johnny Thunder" I heard that on here before. I didn't even know who that was. lol B)

6. Special Team coverage was not impressive at all.

7. Bear Woods :)

8. Antoine Smith for #4 RB? Great catches with YAC and two standout runs.

9. I WANNA SEE KERRY MIER CATCH MORE BALLS!

10. Matt Bryant = consistency. Good FA sign back.

11. Matt Bosher sticks the returner on kick off. ROFLMAO.

12. We have some coverage communication problems. :angry:

13. RW84 with no catches? Actually good to see, take some attention off of him, makes him a bigger threat.

14. Spoon + Healty = Dangerous :wub:

15. Wanna see more of the Quizz.

16. Cliff Matthews is a steal.

17. Franks will hopefully be our NB and he is a solid PR. Proud of him.

Ok to be honest I didnt really didn't pay that much attention to the Dolphins but a couple of things that stood out.

1. Bennie Sapp is going to be a ball hawk.

2. Chad Henne? Really? Come on. $100 Moore has starting job by Game 6.

3. Moore to Moore=Success.

4. Phillip Livis will also be dangerous.

This morning I wrote an article that said the Falcons have the best starters in the league, but the drop off from 1st team to 2nd team is the worst drop off in the league.

My thoughts are that I was on to something.

Definately agree. I do believe we have good back up WRs. But we need JPW to connect, he was getting into a rhythem until the injury hope he is ok.

Julio showed me in a hour way more than Jenkins showed me in 7 years.

Our depth is scary bad.

Douglas, Meier and my boo Weems looked good.

Ryan was kinda shaky in the beginning but settled down at the end.

Garrett Reynolds scares me.

Turner was running with purpose, not tip toeing.

Rogers looked good on his kickoff

Owens needs to just go

We need a vet NB and we need one NOW!

Defense looked good.

This morning I wrote an article that said the Falcons have the best starters in the league, but the drop off from 1st team to 2nd team is the worst drop off in the league.

Do you think the drop off was apparent tonight?

I think if we have injuries to our starting team, we are in trouble. I was not impressed with our backups. And that has always been this team's problem, is lack of talent behind the starters. Nickleback is still a problem, and QBs are going to target that with 3 WR sets. Peria Jerry did nothing to inspire faith in him. Sam Baker is still getting beat by speed rushers, still false-starting, not focusing.

What I did like was Julio Jones. He is the real deal. I also liked seeing Turner burst through the line. I also liked seeing HD make a tough catch in the endzone in double coverage. Ryan looked sharp after he settled down.

Julio showed me in a hour way more than Jenkins showed me in 7 years.

Our depth is scary bad.

Douglas, Meier and my boo Weems looked good.

Ryan was kinda shaky in the beginning but settled down at the end.

Garrett Reynolds scares me.

Turner was running with purpose, not tip toeing.

Rogers looked good on his kickoff

Owens needs to just go

We need a vet NB and we need one NOW!

Defense looked good.

Reynolds that guy is the answer.

Come on man. The Dolphins backup was Matt Moore, who has plenty of starting experience. Our backups were JPW and Adam Froman....

I think if we have injuries to our starting team, we are in trouble. I was not impressed with our backups. And that has always been this team's problem, is lack of talent behind the starters. Nickleback is still a problem, and QBs are going to target that with 3 WR sets. Peria Jerry did nothing to inspire faith in him. Sam Baker is still getting beat by speed rushers, still false-starting, not focusing.

What I did like was Julio Jones. He is the real deal. I also liked seeing Turner burst through the line. I also liked seeing HD make a tough catch in the endzone in double coverage. Ryan looked sharp after he settled down.

Baker that guy, is it bad I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the Steelers game last season. False start on 3rd and 3 in OVERTIME. Jeez..

On defense, I can't argue with that. Of course, I don't know the depth chart for a lot of other teams, but I have a good hunch that their drop offs aren't quite as deep. The secondary is definitely a problem once you get past the starters. It could turn to a grease fire if we start having injuries back there.

My thoughts I posted on another forum. We were at the game for the 1st half and about 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter (kids were tired so we had to leave):

1) Julio Jones is for real. 1st pass of the game, he beat his man. Bad. If they connect on that pass it's a touchdown. Ryan threw it a bit early and a bit far, and Julio didn't adjust to it well. But when they get their timing down, he'll be ridiculous. The underneath drag route and the reverse were electric. When the ball gets in his hands, he makes things happen. This kid is really, really good.

2) The WR corps as a whole is in good shape. Meier, Douglas and Weems all had quality touches. Roddy didn't do much, but I suspect that was by design.

3) The o-line better not suffer any injuries. Even before he got hurt, JPW was getting killed on nearly every play. I don't know if it was our 2nd stringers versus their 1st or what, but the 2nd string o-line looked awful.

4) We're still thin at backup CB. The starting defense looked fantastic, but the backup secondary was not good. At all. Got burned on several deep routes that were not thrown or they missed on, and got burned on a couple of TDs. I hope we pick up a veteran nickel back, or Franks steps up. It was ugly out there in the 2nd quarter.

5) New punter looks pretty good, and Bryant is solid as always. ST was not really good other than that. Field position was a problem even during the 1st quarter. We need to do better here.

6) Deep routes will be there. The fly route to Julio 1st pass of the game would have been huge. Douglas was beating people deep a lot. They'll have to pick their poison this season -- stop the run and we'll throw it over your head. Stop the pass and we'll run it right down your throat.

7) Did I mention the starting defense looked fantastic? Very aggressive, attacking, opportunistic defense. When Ray Edwards gets on that line, watch out.

I think we have a lot of great depth at certain groups, like wide receivers, tight ends (we dont have another tony g but I really like palmer and peele), we are stacked at line backers I thought spoon and the rest of the guys played great (if we can limit peterson's snaps he will be a beast all yr), I actually liked our d line as a whole think about it we were missing RAY EDWARDS who will cover up some of our problems when it comes to CB depth. Also RB's we got in spades, turner looked great, snelling looked great, rodgers looked good and so did smith. oh and at safteys we got bush who can play at nickle if need be too

The only thing I think we really need is a vet nickel back and we will be set.

So as a whole team I dont think we have huge depth problems at all

Our backups have been s**t for awhile. They seem to miss a lot in drafts over the last 10 years where depth could have been solved. Our backups on defense seems to be more special teams and less potential starters or quality backups. Outside of QB, I like our backups on offense.

Edited by #1 pick