Judge convicted of sentencing kids to jail..... for profit

I heard about this. Kids would be sent to this center for BS charges, so the state would pay the private corrections center. I heard one kid threw a steak at his dad and got 3 months sentence.

Im with the judge on that one. If you waste a good steak they should toss your *** in the slammer. :lol:

Yes let's privatize everything because the free market always knows best.

The last I checked, the person handing down the sentence was a corrupt public official.

And also please note, even as an advocate for capitalism, I do not want a privatized criminal justice system (courts, police, or prisons). The solution to overcrowded prisons is to free the prisoners who never violated the rights of anyone else.

The last I checked, the person handing down the sentence was a corrupt public official.

A corrupt public official that was bought out by a private business. That's like blaming the government for the Gulf Oil Spill because corruption in the government allowed these oil companies to get around regulations. The source of the problem lies in the corporation responsible, not the "government."

A corrupt public official that was bought out by a private business. That's like blaming the government for the Gulf Oil Spill because corruption in the government allowed these oil companies to get around regulations. The source of the problem lies in the corporation responsible, not the "government."

I would consider the actual source of the problem to be not just the corporation that profited from unethical practices, not just the public official who illegally condemned minors to what amounts to slave labor prison, but primarily the people who enabled such actions by allowing the judge to do this for so long.

There's no way he could have done this for any meaningful amount of time without bailiffs, clerks, prosecutors, accountants, prison workers, and police all looking the other way. They evade reality because they know that the only way to get along in their professions in that industry (as it is today) is to "play ball" and politic your way to the top.

edit: misunderstood the allegations, I thought this was a prison labor for private interest deal. That's what I get for replying right after watching Shawshank Redemption. :D

There's a superior court judge down in Glynn County on the GA coast (Brunswick, Saint Simons) who has gained a lot of negative attention for the ridiculous sentences she hands out in drug court. Indefinite sentences, kids doing 5 years for minor offenses, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if she was getting her wheels greased by a rehab program or privatized probation office or something.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/430/very-tough-love

So explain how this "private business" would have convicted and sentenced the kids in this case?

So explain how this "private business" would have convicted and sentenced the kids in this case?

They paid for it. Do you believe the corporation responsible for the bribing should be held just as responsible as the judge?

Edited by Radical 2.0

They paid for it Do you believe the corporation responsible for the bribing should be held just as responsible as the judge?

Whichever individuals that facilitated the bribe or engaged someone to go do so should indeed be held criminally responsible. The company itself should receive a fine equal to their profit margin in constructing the kiddy jail.

Someone confused "free market" with public corruption.

You want to privatize everything? sure no problem but you also need oversight and regulations to control human greed basically, just look at wall street and the banking industry.

Those regualtions and oversight comes from what some of you think is the big bad government. ^_^

You want to privatize everything? sure no problem but you also need oversight and regulations to control human greed basically, just look at wall street and the banking industry.

Those regualtions and oversight comes from what some of you think is the big bad government. ^_^

I can't really find where ATL Bear suggested that everything should be privatized. Can you cite the source please?