I just wanted clarification on a new rule change. The rule I don't understand is this one:

Rule 12-2-9 - Incorporates all rules regarding “defenseless players” into new article and standardizes their protection. Extends the protection for a receiver who has completed a catch so that he is a “defenseless player” until he has had time to protect himself or has clearly become a runner.

Does this mean that defenders will no longer be able to break up a pass? Sure sounds like it to me. Given that we're switching to a more pass oriented offense this year it might be a good thing. But it just sounds like it's going a little too far.

Does that mean you can't hit a receiver when they jump to catch the ball? Do you have to wait for them to catch it then come down and touch the field? I understand the NFL is only trying to protect their players and for good reason, they have a vested interest. But, on the other hand they are wussifying the game.

I Have no problem with making rules to protect guys but if there is a chance the have as many bad calls as they did last year then any penalties called need to be challengable on every occurance. After all these bad calls may not only change the outcome of the game but also the season if a key player gets fined and suspended for several games.

Man, a lot of old Safety's (Ronnie Lott) wouldn't make it in todays league, or at least not without getting a lot of penalties. Love it when a big hit breaks up a pass. However, future health of the players is more important. Just difficult for a player to change the way they have been playing their whole life.

Does that mean you can't hit a receiver when they jump to catch the ball? Do you have to wait for them to catch it then come down and touch the field? I understand the NFL is only trying to protect their players and for good reason, they have a vested interest. But, on the other hand they are wussifying the game.

In part. Yes.

In part, No.

1. If you are a WR going for the Ball, and get killed in the process of doing so, that is and always was an unfair edge to the defenders.

2. Once the Ball is in the Air, the defender has the same rights to catch the ball as the WR does, and that is why you see Offensive pass interference penalties. If the defender cant play the game to catch the ball he has no business playing as a DB, Period.

3. If the WR catches the ball (catch, both feet down) he is now fair game.

The days of slaughter are thankfully over.

Sure there will be some brutal tackles, but these will no longer be deliberate.

This IMO only serves to improve the quality of the game.

Rule changes that stand out.

Spearing,,,,,,,,,,,,This took far too long to implement.

Clothesline

Horse Collar

Helmet to Helmet, Helmets were never meant to be used as a weapon.

They were implemented to protect the player.

Unprotected or defenseless player, Long over due.

Contact to the QB.

My God, How many could have been Great QB's had their knees and careers

taken out from under them? this is a book of names, not a list.

I could go on and on, but I wont, However I will tell you this.

This year will be my 50th year of watching the NFL.

Almost every rule or rule change has improved the game, and the level of play in the NFL will never be sissyfied.

The players at that level are just too dammmm good.

The worst rule in the NFL was the tuck rule..

In part. Yes.

In part, No.

1. If you are a WR going for the Ball, and get killed in the process of doing so, that is and always was an unfair edge to the defenders.

2. Once the Ball is in the Air, the defender has the same rights to catch the ball as the WR does, and that is why you see Offensive pass interference penalties. If the defender cant play the game to catch the ball he has no business playing as a DB, Period.

3. If the WR catches the ball (catch, both feet down) he is now fair game.

The days of slaughter are thankfully over.

Sure there will be some brutal tackles, but these will no longer be deliberate.

This IMO only serves to improve the quality of the game.

Rule changes that stand out.

Spearing,,,,,,,,,,,,This took far too long to implement.

Clothesline

Horse Collar

Helmet to Helmet, Helmets were never meant to be used as a weapon.

They were implemented to protect the player.

Unprotected or defenseless player, Long over due.

Contact to the QB.

My God, How many could have been Great QB's had their knees and careers

taken out from under them? this is a book of names, not a list.

I could go on and on, but I wont, However I will tell you this.

This year will be my 50th year of watching the NFL.

Almost every rule or rule change has improved the game, and the level of play in the NFL will never be sissyfied.

The players at that level are just too dammmm good.

The worst rule in the NFL was the tuck rule..

This. You can still play the ball and play defense. Just can't light him up as soon he catches it.

So you can't break up a pass? So now a wide receiver has "pass interference" and "hitting a defenseless player" to protect them? I don't see this as improving the quality of the game. I'm sorry, but a receiver like Jeremy Maclin, who weighs all of 125 lbs has to have some sort of fear going over the middle. The onus needs to be on offensive coordinators and quarterbacks for making sure a receiver doesn't get killed by having to go up high for a pass or through the heart of a defense. In my opinion, if you draft a guy that weighs a buck fifty and send him over the middle to catch a pass, you take your chances that a linebacker that weighs 250 doesn't take his head off.

Save for the occasional drop - catches are now more or less automatic?

Sounds like it to me. The sudden hit to break up a pass is one of the reasons I watch... this is frustrating. Ronnie Lott is my all time favorite player, and I think those days are officially over. :(

Edited by Bob Ðigital

I think it refers to wrs jumping for balls and getting jacked midair. Or getting popped the second the ball arrives. Kind of makes sense to me.

Agree. In other words, it lets the receiver actually catch the ball before being hit, rather than being able to be hit upon merely touching the ball. Kinda sucks, cause it's like the runner from third trying to dislodge the ball from the catcher - if he does, he's gonna be safe. If the defender can slam the receiver upon touching the ball, he might be able to interrupt the catch.

But, regarding all the 'touch football' comments - seriously - some of these guys who played and are now 50-60 y.o. were seriously harmed by all the hard hits and are now having lifetime medical issues as a result. That's over the top. They need to try to eliminate damaging hits.

JMO...................;)