Send down Heyward!

Borat

I'm a pretty superstitious sports fan so if you think it can work...... SEND DOWN HAYWARD!!!!! Seriously though, I think J-Hey is going to be just fine. He's still very young and is having a bit of a sophomore slump. I really think, and hope, that's all it is. Last year he showed a level of patience and discipline at the plate rarely seen among rookies. He's got the natural ability and the eye to be great. He's just got to find himself at the plate again. No reason to think it won't happen. Let's just hope it happens soon and lasts until about Halloween time or so this year.

I'm hoping, but anyone actually think this time off will help his swing?

No, because you only get better at hitting by hitting.

If Heyward still has lingering injuries, however, the time off may be helpful.

For the record, no the Braves should not send him down, and Heyward should not be benched (assuming he's healthy) against lefties or righties. He should not be playing behind Constanza or Hinske (or McLouth, when McLouth comes off the DL). If players have the talent to do well, but are slumping, you have to let them play through the slump, again assuming that the player is healthy.

No, because you only get better at hitting by hitting.

If Heyward still has lingering injuries, however, the time off may be helpful.

For the record, no the Braves should not send him down, and Heyward should not be benched (assuming he's healthy) against lefties or righties. He should not be playing behind Constanza or Hinske (or McLouth, when McLouth comes off the DL). If players have the talent to do well, but are slumping, you have to let them play through the slump, again assuming that the player is healthy.

He's been slumping this entire season and most of last years second half. It's more than a slump.

He's been slumping this entire season and most of last years second half. It's more than a slump.

So what is it then? Is it your contention that he just sucks, and the Braves should abandon him?

He was superb last season, with the exception of a three-week span after he came off the disabled list. He was one of the only Braves to come out this season hitting well before he started falling off around the beginning of May. He's been injured. He has almost unmeasurable talent.

There is absolutely no reason not to let Heyward work his way through this. They let Uggla work through his issues, and it's paying off huge now. Heyward has only had about 70% of the plate appearances that Uggla has gotten -- and Uggla's worst was far worse than Heyward has been.

In the end, Heyward is far more likely to contribute more this season than the alternative outfielders. His contributions to future seasons can be huge.

So what is it then? Is it your contention that he just sucks, and the Braves should abandon him?

He was superb last season, with the exception of a three-week span after he came off the disabled list. He was one of the only Braves to come out this season hitting well before he started falling off around the beginning of May. He's been injured. He has almost unmeasurable talent.

There is absolutely no reason not to let Heyward work his way through this. They let Uggla work through his issues, and it's paying off huge now. Heyward has only had about 70% of the plate appearances that Uggla has gotten -- and Uggla's worst was far worse than Heyward has been.

In the end, Heyward is far more likely to contribute more this season than the alternative outfielders. His contributions to future seasons can be huge.

I don't know what to tell you man, his lack of hustle has rubbed me the wrong way this season. Half the time he looks like he just rolled out of bed, tossed on his uni, ate a bowl of fruit loops and hit the field.

I don't know what to tell you man, his lack of hustle has rubbed me the wrong way this season. Half the time he looks like he just rolled out of bed, tossed on his uni, ate a bowl of fruit loops and hit the field.

Maybe it's all new baby mental. What I mean is, we got new rookies that are media darlings: Freeman and Kimbrell. Heyward's no longer the new baby rookie like he was last year . . . so he's having trouble seeing other young players get all the attention.

It's just a thought people. After all, there are many kinds of things a new player has to get used to in the pro leagues. And I wonder if he's ever had this kind of athletic adversity in his career before.

I haven't seen this "lack of hustle". I've seen a kid who's gotten hurt, then got his mechanics at the plate screwed up. He runs out every grounder, and he's made some good plays in the field.

He's also seems to be friendly and easy-going, which some folks seem to interpret as having a lack of hustle/heart/care/unicorns. Andruw Jones had the same perception issues.

And of course, he's also black, which runs some people in this town the wrong way. Not saying you specifically, but it seems like struggling black athletes in this town get far less rope than white athletes when things go squirrelly for awhile.

I haven't seen this "lack of hustle". I've seen a kid who's gotten hurt, then got his mechanics at the plate screwed up. He runs out every grounder, and he's made some good plays in the field.

He's also seems to be friendly and easy-going, which some folks seem to interpret as having a lack of hustle/heart/care/unicorns. Andruw Jones had the same perception issues.

And of course, he's also black, which runs some people in this town the wrong way. Not saying you specifically, but it seems like struggling black athletes in this town get far less rope than white athletes when things go squirrelly for awhile.

Kelly Johnson, Jo-Jo Reyes, Jeff Francouer, Charlie Morton, and Nate McLouth would all like to have a word with you

Kelly Johnson, Jo-Jo Reyes, Jeff Francouer, Charlie Morton, and Nate McLouth would all like to have a word with you

The difference being that with the exception of Kelly Johnson, there was no particular reason to think the others would be successful.

And I'm not referring to anyone particularly on this MB either. Most of the folks here seem to be equally negative on pretty much everyone.

The difference being that with the exception of Kelly Johnson, there was no particular reason to think the others would be successful.

And I'm not referring to anyone particularly on this MB either. Most of the folks here seem to be equally negative on pretty much everyone.

No reason to think Francouer and McLouth would be successful? Ok dude. And did you just really use the ******* race card. That was one of the most ******** comments I have ever seen on here.

Edited by Lou_Dog

No reason to think Francouer and McLouth would be successful? Ok dude. And did you just really use the ******* race card. That was one of the most ******** comments I have ever seen on here.

Everyone loved both of those guys when the first joined the team. After time, it became apparent that they weren't going to work out, and their past record gave plenty of evidence that it shouldn't have been a surprise.

As for the "race card", I've already seen and heard comments about Heyward seeming "lazy", not have "heart", having a "lack of hustle", and even a couple of comments about him being a "thug". Again, I'm not necessarily talking about here on this message board, but it's out there. Do you really need to be drawn a picture?

Everyone loved both of those guys when the first joined the team. After time, it became apparent that they weren't going to work out, and their past record gave plenty of evidence that it shouldn't have been a surprise.

As for the "race card", I've already seen and heard comments about Heyward seeming "lazy", not have "heart", having a "lack of hustle", and even a couple of comments about him being a "thug". Again, I'm not necessarily talking about here on this message board, but it's out there. Do you really need to be drawn a picture?

I have never once heard someone refer to him as a thug. And if you take him being lazy, not having heart, and lacking hustle as a knock on his race maybe you are the one beging racist. Plus how did Francouers past record give anymore proof that he wasnt going to succedd than Heyward did? Incase you havent noticed they both started out super hot and then did very little afterwards. If anything, Francouers first 2 years showed more promise than heywards.

Edited by Lou_Dog

Because his minor league numbers were a very good indication of Francoeur not being that good. I'll even admit to being a fan of the kid and not looking at it objectively. If you go and look up his stats, he never had a great OBP, and his OPS outside of 1 season was never that great. There were plenty of signs there.

You people do realize that he is allowed to swing a bat when he isnt in a game also correct? Ya'll act like there is no chance of him fixing his swing because he isnt playing. Dude is more than capable of fixing his swing through BP and coaching.

Sure, he can fix his swing in the cages or with coaches, but he would have to play in real games if we want to see results.... Consistently play, not play when someone needs a day off or something...

I have never once heard someone refer to him as a thug. And if you take him being lazy, not having heart, and lacking hustle as a knock on his race maybe you are the one beging racist.

Well, I don't think he's lazy, has no heart, and lacks hustle. I think he works very hard and hustles every time I watch him. I have no idea about his "heart" because I'm not a psychiatrist or a mind reader. I do notice that those types of epithets tend to get thrown at black players a lot more than white players.