Blalock: 6 years, 38 million.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the craze for left guards a few years ago you can't get out of paying a player at Blalock's position, especially a younger player coming off a big year, you're either invested in him until he's past 30 or someone else is. Considering how much teams were paying for players that aren't any more effective than Blalock was last year we got him at about the right price.

If it is true Clabo got the higher guarantee amount at 25. Because Blalock is only guaranteed at 16 he has to work his rear off to make sure he gets the rest.

You guys are getting too hung up on the bigger figure. That amount is only the contract's potential and will only be paid if the player earns it. Guarantees and signing bonuses are the real dollars.

There is no way of looking at this contract as him being overpaid. After his season last year and what we have invested in him 16 is not that much of a gamble. I hope he does earn 38 though because that would mean he was a beast for 6 years.

I'm glad to see the people not agreeing with the contract and saying "over paid." It's always nice to see which fans are clueless about the players.

Fair contract. Clabo got his deal because he is on the wrong side of 30, but still has plenty left in the tank. Blalock is now entering into his prime and is becoming a top guard.

Deal with it.

If it is true Clabo got the higher guarantee amount at 25. Because Blalock is only guaranteed at 16 he has to work his rear off to make sure he gets the rest.

You guys are getting too hung up on the bigger figure. That amount is only the contract's potential and will only be paid if the player earns it. Guarantees and signing bonuses are the real dollars.

There is no way of looking at this contract as him being overpaid. After his season last year and what we have invested in him 16 is not that much of a gamble. I hope he does earn 38 though because that would mean he was a beast for 6 years.

Only 11.5 mil of Clabo's contract is guaranteed.

As far as Blalock goes, I guess they decided he is worth it. I guess we know now that the Falcons considered Dahl the weak spot.

Im really starting to get tired of posters on here whining and crying about every single move TD makes. I tell you what, since all of you guys seem to think TD is doing the wrong job, we can go back to Rich McKay as our GM and we can bring back the Smith's as owners and we will just suck for the next 40 years. And before you say a **** thing about not having a playoff win, were a young team and I would rather be in the playoffs every year than to never even have a chance to get there and be last in our division. I swear, some of you must have just became falcon fans because you sure as **** couldn't have known the falcons of the last few decades.

SMH!!

So basically, after spending a 2nd on him, and spending years developing him, the smart thing to do is just let him walk now that he's a great player? Right.... :wacko:

When you've acquired depth, yes. You get the comp pick, you plug in your depth, and then you allocate the resources elsewhere. ie Re Up someone really good like Lofton instead of an above average guard.

Only 11.5 mil of Clabo's contract is guaranteed.

As far as Blalock goes, I guess they decided he is worth it. I guess we know now that the Falcons considered Dahl the weak spot.

I thought I read somewhere it was higher but numbers are flying around so much I might have misremembered.

When you've acquired depth, yes. You get the comp pick, you plug in your depth, and then you allocate the resources elsewhere. ie Re Up someone really good like Lofton instead of an above average guard.

Share with us your credentials for evaluating Justin Blaylock, Curtis Lofton, and most importantly, Thomas Dimitroff. Just curious what your background in football is.

I thought I read somewhere it was higher but numbers are flying around so much I might have misremembered.

I don't have an opinion on what Blaylock was paid, because as a casual viewer, I find Guards the hardest to evaluate.

I assume if the Falcons paid him that much it's because he's turned into a d*mn good player and the guys behind him aren't at all ready yet.

We have depth at the QB position too. Maybe TD should trade Ryan for some picks. Why are we keeping Abe around when we have Sid?

I don't have an opinion on what Blaylock was paid, because as a casual viewer, I find Guards the hardest to evaluate.

I assume if the Falcons paid him that much it's because he's turned into a d*mn good player and the guys behind him aren't at all ready yet.

^^^ this. Guards are very difficult to evaluate. All I know is if you never hear their name called, then theyre doing their job. There are no stats to judge a Guard by other than Penalties. They play more of a support role for the Center and Tackle. Rarely are they ever matched up 1 on 1 with a Defender.

Share with us your credentials for evaluating Justin Blaylock, Curtis Lofton, and most importantly, Thomas Dimitroff. Just curious what your background in football is.

So let me get this straight. You have to be a pro to evaluate players and criticize moves? What's the point of this board then?

We have depth at the QB position too. Maybe TD should trade Ryan for some picks. Why are we keeping Abe around when we have Sid?

Because a LG is as important as QB and the #1 pass rusher, right? Come on. And tell me there's no a major difference between Ryan's and Abraham's quality of play as compared to Blalock?

I was all for bringing Blalock back. I don't ever recall saying I didn't, or that he was even a bad player. But it's just too much for a team that is pushing the cap.

Because a LG is as important as QB and the #1 pass rusher, right? Come on. And tell me there's no a major difference between Ryan's and Abraham's quality of play as compared to Blalock?

I was all for bringing Blalock back. I don't ever recall saying I didn't, or that he was even a bad player. But it's just too much for a team that is pushing the cap.

If they had tried to renew his contract last season we could have signed him for cheaper. But since he became a FA it cost a little more. Thats why I cant understand how we let 3 starting O Linemen become FAs all at the same time. But we got a deal re-signing Clabo for pretty cheap, so it all offset.

It's 16 mil guaranteed, and you have no idea of the cap hit yet. It's probably a sizable bonus combined with low salary the first couple of years, Blalock's happy cause he got a big check, Falcons are happy because they get a reasonable cap hit, with a big chunk of the guaranteed money in the bonus.

McKay missed on some picks, but he writes one h#ll of a cap friendly contract.