TD on Verge of Epic Fail at FA

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying I should be content with just getting there? That's a losers mentality...

32 teams and only one winner each year. Either the NFL need to lower the amount of teams to one so that the same team wins every year or wait until the end of the year and jump on the winning team's bandwagon. The Falcons was a losing organization for years and TD and Smitty are trying to change that image and has been doing a very good job of it for the past three years. If building a losing organization to a yearly playoff team and possible contender and not making it to the Super Bowl is a loser mentality then your statement proves you wasn't a Falcon's fan before they got here. If you wasn't a fan of Green Bay last year, New Orleans before them, Pittsburgh before them, Giants before them, Colts before them, Pittsburgh before them, New England before them,... then you have a losers mentality yourself. Since your team is obviously going to be this years Super Bowl winner (since you don't have a losers mentality) who is it so the rest of us losers can go place our bets now?

:D

We have been bounced from the playoffs in the first game twice in the last three seasons. This is because the defense has been suspect in both those playoff games. No moves made on D in FA and none of significance in the draft this off-season, so I can comprehend what the FO has done also. Just that I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not trusting TD anymore. :angry: He told us 4 years ago, after releasing Brookings/Malloy (spelling?), that the organization was committed to putting playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. Either TD was intentionally misleading the fans, during a time when we were stricken with grief and anger and needed some reassurance that things would get better, or he cannot evaluate talent. I'm starting to believe that it’s the latter of the two. Case in point- with the exception of Abraham, and lately Grimes, we do not have game changers on the defensive side of the ball.

Even more, what really irks me about this organization is that TD thinks he is smarter than other GMs and the Falcons are too good for certain players. (i.e. Moss/Haynesworth/Owens). Do not get me wrong, I can appreciate a person who has confidence in himself. However, what I do not like is when you are often wrong in your assessment of talent.

Meanwhile, other organizations like the Patriots, NY, and Dallas are not afraid to take chances. For instance, the Patriots signed Haynesworth this afternoon and took a chance on Moss when most would’ve been afraid to sign him. So what does it say about this organization and mindset to take chances? To me, it appears as if we are more concern with image than winning. We prefer to go with the boy scouts. That is fine, but we saw where it got us when we needed players with a certain toughness and leadership abilities.

Bottom-line -If AB is serious about bringing home the SB trophy, he has to change the mindset and strategy of the organization…or at least have a plan B when things don’t go as planned.

Our owner is probably too image conscious for his own good… a good guy, but has failed to surround himself with the right football personnel.

32 teams and only one winner each year. Either the NFL need to lower the amount of teams to one so that the same team wins every year or wait until the end of the year and jump on the winning team's bandwagon. The Falcons was a losing organization for years and TD and Smitty are trying to change that image and has been doing a very good job of it for the past three years. If building a losing organization to a yearly playoff team and possible contender and not making it to the Super Bowl is a loser mentality then your statement proves you wasn't a Falcon's fan before they got here. If you wasn't a fan of Green Bay last year, New Orleans before them, Pittsburgh before them, Giants before them, Colts before them, Pittsburgh before them, New England before them,... then you have a losers mentality yourself. Since your team is obviously going to be this years Super Bowl winner (since you don't have a losers mentality) who is it so the rest of us losers can go place our bets now?

:D

The ole, you aren't a fan chestnut. Was waiting for that one... Just because I question the strategy that is being employed this off season? Not once have I criticized TD for the moves he has made in the past three off seasons. What I am pointing out is that there seems to be a lack of urgency around making the defense better and my reasons for this needing to be a priority.

Brilliant.

Just Brilliant.

Mr. Right just may have to give up his moniker.

The core of the board has come over to Dtan's side of the giant game of red rover we all play.

TD will be gone in 1 or 2 years.

MV7 will be back much sooner.

The Great Revolution has begun.

I had to see what funny, Vick brain washed, comment you had for this thread when I saw you edited it last. Dtan you never fail dude to bring humor to my day, Thanks!

I've always thought TD was in over his head as GM. If we don't improve the defense this month by acquiring real playmakers, then we won't go far in the playoffs, if at all.

My prediction for 2012.

1. TD and/or MS will be on the hot-seat
  2. We will be selecting a QB in the 2012 draft.

AB knows the only way he will get a new stadium, with the support of state funds and approved by tax payers, will be for his team to make an appearance in the SB.

Sorry Matt Ryan fans, but he will get exposed this year with the addition of JJ. He CAN NOT stretch the field and does not consistently throw good routes; more importantly, he and Smith will no longer be able to use the excuse of not having enough offensive weapons. So wasting 4 picks on JJ, I think, will be the final straw for Thomas and/or Mike. As a result, there will be some major changes and new faces in FO before the start of the 2012 season. At that point, the current FO personnel will have been in office for 5 years and no playoff wins.

Something will have to drastically change to get fans excited, again, about the team. Typically these type of changes start at the top and work themselves down.

In 08 Ryan was a top ten QB in 20+ and 40+ yard passes. Last year, on passes that went 40+ yards in the air, Ryan had a better QB rating than Brees, Peyton, Brady, Rivers and Rodgers. Oh, and Vick too.

Arm strength isn't his problem.

Oh, and , if you're still here in 12, I'll be happy to pull this up.

Brilliant.

Just Brilliant.

Mr. Right just may have to give up his moniker.

The core of the board has come over to Dtan's side of the giant game of red rover we all play.

TD will be gone in 1 or 2 years.

MV7 will be back much sooner.

The Great Revolution has begun.

The core of the board? Delusional much? Well, since you're convinced that Vick is coming back, yes you are.

There are about 6-10 posters on this board that want Vick back, out of over 50,000 registered users. That's not the core, that's the lunatic fringe of the lunatic fringe.

Where' d your first thread end up? Anything but logic, and it wound up there for a reason.

In 08 Ryan was a top ten QB in 20+ and 40+ yard passes. Last year, on passes that went 40+ yards in the air, Ryan had a better QB rating than Brees, Peyton, Brady, Rivers and Rodgers. Oh, and Vick too.

Arm strength isn't his problem.

Oh, and , if you're still here in 12, I'll be happy to pull this up.

No disrespect- but you lost points in your attempt to compare Ryan's arm strength with above mentioned QBs. Sorry :wacko:

No disrespect- but you lost points in your attempt to compare Ryan's arm strength with above mentioned QBs. Sorry :wacko:

Check out the splits at ESPN and tell me which of them had a better QB rating than Ryan on passes over 40+ yards in the air. Check out the stats from 08 and see where Ryan ranked in 20+ and 40+ yard passes.

The core of the board? Delusional much? Well, since you're convinced that Vick is coming back, yes you are.

There are about 6-10 posters on this board that want Vick back, out of over 50,000 registered users. That's not the core, that's the lunatic fringe of the lunatic fringe.

Where' d your first thread end up? Anything but logic, and it wound up there for a reason.

Oh no, now he will go make 49,994 more accounts so things will be "even"

As a long-time Falcon fan I have become accustomed to a string of disappointments throughout the years. This season's acquisitions through the draft and free agency have certainly left this fan disappointed.

Any level headed fan can evaluate the loss in the playoffs to the Packers and can come to the conclusion that our pass defense has some serious deficiencies. There are two elements to pass defense, apart from scheme, and they are a pass rush and pass coverage. So looking to the draft, I was convinced that the route to go was to find help on the defensive side of the ball, specifically a pass rushing defensive end. To me this seemed to be the logical path to follow. The Falcons ended up with a 13-3 regular season record with the number one seed in the playoffs. You don't get there without doing things right, but playoff football is a different caliber all together. We found that out real quick while watching our defense get picked apart with surgical precision against the Packers. Playoff football requires defensive excellence in order to excel. That is a fact. Teams that have done it with offensive prowess are an aberration and have not been able to sustain that level of excellence. Teams with excellent defenses and defensive schemes have been able to sustain that caliber of play. In order to get to that level of excellence the Falcons need to improvement at LDE, DT, LB, and Corner.

To my surprise, the front office gave up a good portion of the available draft picks this year and a 1st round pick next year to grab Julio Jones. Now, I like the pick, don't get me wrong here, but it really comes down to what kind of philosophy that you want to build your team around. The Falcons had a very serviceable wide receiver in Michael Jenkins and there is a good supply of wide receivers in the free agent market. So why invest so much in someone that will not provide the impact necessary to get the Falcons to the next level in the palyoffs? It is a head scratcher, but alas, after the draft was over, I dusted myself off, got up, and picked up the Falcons flag again, carrying it with eager anticipation for this off season's free agent signing period. The Falcons have to improve the pass rush and I was sure that they would be players for a quality defensive end in the free agent market. In my opinion, getting a premier DE opposite JA55 is the only option. If Abraham gets hurt, and let's face it, he has had an injury bug, the Falcons are screwed. In building for the future, not having another premier DE on the team is short sighted at best. I give JA55 2 more years after this season. Would be nice not to enter the draft next season needing two premier DE's without a first round pick.

Standing pat on the defensive side of the ball is not an option in my opinion, getting Ray Edwards or making a trade for a DE that other teams have made available through the GM grapevine is one very important piece. If not, TD has failed, in a major way this off season. Unthinkable with a young team on the cusp....

Ummm...how's this diatribe working out for you? Part of making sound decisions is not rushing to make them...

People roll their eyes when I say patience and trust during the TD era. Just another year and another reason why. I'm not guaranteeing Edwards is the answer but at least they finally were able to address this issue. You also have to lend the guy some credit on the price tags he is negotiating. Just do a quick comparison around the league and you will understand.

Thank you OP. It looks like Dimitroff finally saw the light, all credit given to you. Dimitroff is so great because he listens to others opinions and I'm sure he never would have wanted to sign ray edwards but this thread applied enough pressure on that hack to do the smart move. Again, thanks OP, god knows where this team would be without you.