TD on Verge of Epic Fail at FA

Is our schedule that much harder this year - all our games against the South are the same, we play Green Bay again, Seattle again, at home against Philly this time. Compare our games in 2010 to what would be roughly equivalent in 2011:

LAST YR THIS YEAR

WEEK GAME RESULT WEEK GAME

1 @PIT L 1 @CHI

2 ARI W 11 TEN

3 @NO W 16 @NO

4 SF W 12 MIN

5 @CLE W 13 @HOU

6 @PHI L 2 PHI

7 CIN W 15 JAC

8 BYE 8 BYE

9 TB W 17 TB

10 BAL W 9 @IND

11 @STL W 7 @DET

12 GB W 5 GB

13 @TB W 3 @TB

14 @CAR W 14 @CAR

15 @SEA W 4 @SEA

16 NO L 10 NO

17 CAR W 6 CAR

Good post

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

I don't know. I have to say that I think that the OP made a few valid points.

Finding a difference-making DE to bookend and compliment the aging John Abraham has been an ongoing issue for the Falcons for several years. Anderson was supposed to be that guy and has failed. It's been "Other DE By Committee" for years now.

I know people continually say "Give Biermann and Sidbury more time to develop..." and there might be some truth and value to that thought. Davis is an overpaid rotational end. He'll never be the other starting DE. He's simply not talented enough. Biermann definitely has the motor, drive and possibly the talent. He is playing the run better now so that's not a detriment like it was his first year or so. He seems to have trouble sealing the deal on QBs when it comes to getting them on the ground.....I freely admit that I have no idea what or who we have in Sidbury. Kid certainly has the frame of a prototypical NFL DE.....

I know I'm rambling, but it just might be that Dimitroff drafts and signs FAs better on the offensive side of the ball than for the defense....or maybe he overvalues our own guys on D too much....

We went into the '09 campaign knowing that we had very shaky play from our corners. The Chargers lighting us up at will in that preseason game nearly melted this board down.....and yet it took a late B. Williams pickup from the Jags to bring a bit of stability to that position.

I'm confused right now about what our philosophy/plan is for DE play and development this year and for the next couple of years down the road.

I have lost faith in Biermann,, he will need to have a breakout season this year,

otherwise Biermann will have simply reached his full potential and that will be that.

Do you remember when we signed Turner.

Turner had 3 teams on his travel agenda.

Blank told TD that once Turner arrived at the Branch, he would not be allowed

to leave until a deal was in place.

I am thinking that if Edwards shows up to the Branch, the same thing is likely to happen.

wow just wow, so many burger flippin' experts here. I personally am glad we arent throwing away big money on one or two players. Ihave ran the numbers and there is no way that the Jets can do what they are try'n to do without dumping a TON of talent. This is a hard cap year and the numbers just dont work. Besides cant sign these deals til tomorow anyway.

As a long-time Falcon fan I have become accustomed to a string of disappointments throughout the years. This season's acquisitions through the draft and free agency have certainly left this fan disappointed.

Any level headed fan can evaluate the loss in the playoffs to the Packers and can come to the conclusion that our pass defense has some serious deficiencies. There are two elements to pass defense, apart from scheme, and they are a pass rush and pass coverage. So looking to the draft, I was convinced that the route to go was to find help on the defensive side of the ball, specifically a pass rushing defensive end. To me this seemed to be the logical path to follow. The Falcons ended up with a 13-3 regular season record with the number one seed in the playoffs. You don't get there without doing things right, but playoff football is a different caliber all together. We found that out real quick while watching our defense get picked apart with surgical precision against the Packers. Playoff football requires defensive excellence in order to excel. That is a fact. Teams that have done it with offensive prowess are an aberration and have not been able to sustain that level of excellence. Teams with excellent defenses and defensive schemes have been able to sustain that caliber of play. In order to get to that level of excellence the Falcons need to improvement at LDE, DT, LB, and Corner.

To my surprise, the front office gave up a good portion of the available draft picks this year and a 1st round pick next year to grab Julio Jones. Now, I like the pick, don't get me wrong here, but it really comes down to what kind of philosophy that you want to build your team around. The Falcons had a very serviceable wide receiver in Michael Jenkins and there is a good supply of wide receivers in the free agent market. So why invest so much in someone that will not provide the impact necessary to get the Falcons to the next level in the palyoffs? It is a head scratcher, but alas, after the draft was over, I dusted myself off, got up, and picked up the Falcons flag again, carrying it with eager anticipation for this off season's free agent signing period. The Falcons have to improve the pass rush and I was sure that they would be players for a quality defensive end in the free agent market. In my opinion, getting a premier DE opposite JA55 is the only option. If Abraham gets hurt, and let's face it, he has had an injury bug, the Falcons are screwed. In building for the future, not having another premier DE on the team is short sighted at best. I give JA55 2 more years after this season. Would be nice not to enter the draft next season needing two premier DE's without a first round pick.

Standing pat on the defensive side of the ball is not an option in my opinion, getting Ray Edwards or making a trade for a DE that other teams have made available through the GM grapevine is one very important piece. If not, TD has failed, in a major way this off season. Unthinkable with a young team on the cusp....

:lol: ur dumb af !

As a long-time Falcon fan I have become accustomed to a string of disappointments throughout the years. This season's acquisitions through the draft and free agency have certainly left this fan disappointed.

Any level headed fan can evaluate the loss in the playoffs to the Packers and can come to the conclusion that our pass defense has some serious deficiencies. There are two elements to pass defense, apart from scheme, and they are a pass rush and pass coverage. So looking to the draft, I was convinced that the route to go was to find help on the defensive side of the ball, specifically a pass rushing defensive end. To me this seemed to be the logical path to follow. The Falcons ended up with a 13-3 regular season record with the number one seed in the playoffs. You don't get there without doing things right, but playoff football is a different caliber all together. We found that out real quick while watching our defense get picked apart with surgical precision against the Packers. Playoff football requires defensive excellence in order to excel. That is a fact. Teams that have done it with offensive prowess are an aberration and have not been able to sustain that level of excellence. Teams with excellent defenses and defensive schemes have been able to sustain that caliber of play. In order to get to that level of excellence the Falcons need to improvement at LDE, DT, LB, and Corner.

To my surprise, the front office gave up a good portion of the available draft picks this year and a 1st round pick next year to grab Julio Jones. Now, I like the pick, don't get me wrong here, but it really comes down to what kind of philosophy that you want to build your team around. The Falcons had a very serviceable wide receiver in Michael Jenkins and there is a good supply of wide receivers in the free agent market. So why invest so much in someone that will not provide the impact necessary to get the Falcons to the next level in the palyoffs? It is a head scratcher, but alas, after the draft was over, I dusted myself off, got up, and picked up the Falcons flag again, carrying it with eager anticipation for this off season's free agent signing period. The Falcons have to improve the pass rush and I was sure that they would be players for a quality defensive end in the free agent market. In my opinion, getting a premier DE opposite JA55 is the only option. If Abraham gets hurt, and let's face it, he has had an injury bug, the Falcons are screwed. In building for the future, not having another premier DE on the team is short sighted at best. I give JA55 2 more years after this season. Would be nice not to enter the draft next season needing two premier DE's without a first round pick.

Standing pat on the defensive side of the ball is not an option in my opinion, getting Ray Edwards or making a trade for a DE that other teams have made available through the GM grapevine is one very important piece. If not, TD has failed, in a major way this off season. Unthinkable with a young team on the cusp....

I've always thought TD was in over his head as GM. If we don't improve the defense this month by acquiring real playmakers, then we won't go far in the playoffs, if at all.

My prediction for 2012.

1. TD and/or MS will be on the hot-seat
  2. We will be selecting a QB in the 2012 draft.

AB knows the only way he will get a new stadium, with the support of state funds and approved by tax payers, will be for his team to make an appearance in the SB.

Sorry Matt Ryan fans, but he will get exposed this year with the addition of JJ. He CAN NOT stretch the field and does not consistently throw good routes; more importantly, he and Smith will no longer be able to use the excuse of not having enough offensive weapons. So wasting 4 picks on JJ, I think, will be the final straw for Thomas and/or Mike. As a result, there will be some major changes and new faces in FO before the start of the 2012 season. At that point, the current FO personnel will have been in office for 5 years and no playoff wins.

Something will have to drastically change to get fans excited, again, about the team. Typically these type of changes start at the top and work themselves down.

Guest Gritz

I've always thought TD was in over his head as GM. If we don't improve the defense this month by acquiring real playmakers, then we won't go far in the playoffs, if at all.

My prediction for 2012.

AB knows the only way he will get a new stadium, with the support of state funds and approved by tax payers, will be for his team to make an appearance in the SB.

Sorry Matt Ryan fans, but he will get exposed this year with the addition of JJ. He CAN NOT stretch the field and does not consistently throw good routes; more importantly, he and Smith will no longer be able to use the excuse of not having enough offensive weapons. So wasting 4 picks on JJ, I think, will be the final straw for Thomas and/or Mike. As a result, there will be some major changes and new faces in FO before the start of the 2012 season. At that point, the current FO personnel will have been in office for 5 years and no playoff wins.

Something will have to drastically change to get fans excited, again, about the team. Typically these type of changes start at the top and work themselves down.

Lord knows I have some concerns about this team (particularly on defense)...but seriously dude, drafting a new QB in 2012?

congratulationsy.jpg

Congratulations. You have made the stupidest post I have ever read on this message board....

Lord knows I have some concerns about this team (particularly on defense)...but seriously dude, drafting a new QB in 2012?

congratulationsy.jpg

Congratulations. You have made the stupidest post I have ever read on this message board....

really? - It doesn't sound too stupid to the rest of the nfl world, excluding Falcon fans who refuse to take-off the red/black shades. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, considering you probably have selected memory and would prefer to forget the Jan 15th, 2011 massacre :ph34r: that took place at the Ga Dome.

Guest Gritz

really? - It doesn't sound too stupid to the rest of the nfl world, excluding Falcon fans who refuse to take-off the red/black shades. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, considering you probably have selected memory and would prefer to forget the Jan 15th, 2011 massacre :ph34r: that took place at the Ga Dome.

If I thought you had even the amount of gray matter that a recently backed over his head in the driveway rhesus monkey possessed I would take you to school.

But you're either Shat on Dan, Mr. Blight, or one of the other countless mouth-breathing, window-licking morons who infect this board....so you aren't worth the time.

If I thought you had even the amount of gray matter that a recently backed over his head in the driveway rhesus monkey possessed I would take you to school.

But you're either Shat on Dan, Mr. Blight, or one of the other countless mouth-breathing, window-licking morons who infect this board....so you aren't worth the time.

Hey Gritz you feel better! lol

My prediction for 2012.

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg