TD on Verge of Epic Fail at FA

what pieces are falling off the board?

Charles Johnson?

Yeah, I agree he would have been great, but it was WAAAAY too much $$$$

Jason Babin?

He was a poor scheme fit and he's too old at 30 to give a 5yr deal

Nnamdi Asoumugha?

Do you really think Falcons were ever going after him with $14mm/yr demands while Falcons have lots of money tied up in Dunta Robinson and soon Brent Grimes.

Ray Edwards is still out there

Mathias Kiwanuka is still out there

We still have opportunity to re-sign some O-Linemen

WTH?

If Falcons don't get a legit D-End, I admit I'm gonna be pizzed. But I'm not pizzed now - they still might get one.

Exactly, and I really do feel that we will land Edwards or Kiwanuka. The market doesn't seem to be too hot on Edwards, so I don't think we would end up overpaying him.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what pieces are falling off the board?

Charles Johnson?

Yeah, I agree he would have been great, but it was WAAAAY too much $$$$

Jason Babin?

He was a poor scheme fit and he's too old at 30 to give a 5yr deal

Nnamdi Asoumugha?

Do you really think Falcons were ever going after him with $14mm/yr demands while Falcons have lots of money tied up in Dunta Robinson and soon Brent Grimes.

Ray Edwards is still out there

Mathias Kiwanuka is still out there

We still have opportunity to re-sign some O-Linemen

WTH?

If Falcons don't get a legit D-End, I admit I'm gonna be pizzed. But I'm not pizzed now - they still might get one.

Babbin is not a good fit, but don't discount the importance of him falling off the board. It just gave Edwards leverage in negotiating. With a handful of lineman to re-sign and Grimey, having Babbin sign with the Eagles may have pushed him out of range. Kiwanuka? Really? C'mon he is a walking injury settlement waiting to happen.

Is it just me ,or did FA just get started ? .......... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

THANK YOU. Jesus. We go through this every friggin summer.... 48 hours into free agency, half of the board is ready to jump ship. Thank God none of these people are running this team.... Take a look at the Redskins if you want to see a good example of what happens when an impulsive/incompetent GM or owner let their emotions get the best of them and overspend... The successful GM's go into the FA period with a plan and a limit on what they will spend to address a specific position.... I mean, the guy has been our GM for.....what......three seasons? He has been the NFL Executive of the Year TWICE already.... He has taken a team that had never seen back-to-back winning seasons, and we haven't had a losing season since he took over. He has definitely earned my trust.

Sometimes I wonder how long some of these people have been following the Falcons... Because having followed them since 1982, I can say that life under the Blank/TD regime has been roughly 1000% better than it ever was in the past. I have absolutely no doubt that he will field the most competitive product he can possibly field without handcuffing the team in future seasons....

Patience, people.... ****!

LMAO...wow the chicken littles of the message board are in full swing. If you mentally took what everyone on the message board wanted as opposed to what we are willing to do you might not get disappointed.

We are defiantly in the age of the girl from Willy Wonka..." I want it now! "

Babbin is not a good fit, but don't discount the importance of him falling off the board. It just gave Edwards leverage in negotiating. With a handful of lineman to re-sign and Grimey, having Babbin sign with the Eagles may have pushed him out of range. Kiwanuka? Really? C'mon he is a walking injury settlement waiting to happen.

I think Edwards is losing leverage, not gaining. Falcons main competition is the Browns and Titans now - really?

Eagles were a viable and attractive destination for Edwards - Titans and Browns, not so much...

If teams were so "HOT" for Ray Edwards, he would be signed by now - everyday that goes by, I think he gets less and less money.

I don't know if Falcons even want him, but if they do, it will be at their number - not some outrageous number.

Kiwanuka is a good player. 4 sacks in 3 games last year before he got hurt. Does the neck injury thing bother me? Yeah, it does...Would I pay him top dollar? No, I wouldn't. But here's the thing - you sign Kiwanuka to a shorter deal for less money with more incentives and you only do it if Falcons doctors sign off on the player. Its a gamble - I agree - but a calculated one with a high payoff. Kiwanuka is excellent pass rusher.

THANK YOU. Jesus. We go through this every friggin summer.... 48 hours into free agency, half of the board is ready to jump ship. Thank God none of these people are running this team.... Take a look at the Redskins if you want to see a good example of what happens when an impulsive/incompetent GM or owner let their emotions get the best of them and overspend... The successful GM's go into the FA period with a plan and a limit on what they will spend to address a specific position.... I mean, the guy has been our GM for.....what......three seasons? He has been the NFL Executive of the Year TWICE already.... He has taken a team that had never seen back-to-back winning seasons, and we haven't had a losing season since he took over. He has definitely earned my trust.

Sometimes I wonder how long some of these people have been following the Falcons... Because having followed them since 1982, I can say that life under the Blank/TD regime has been roughly 1000% better than it ever was in the past. I have absolutely no doubt that he will field the most competitive product he can possibly field without handcuffing the team in future seasons....

^^^^ This.

Every year we get to hear "Oh No...0-16 is staring us in the face!!! We have a much tougher schedule this year and we are not going to get back to _____ (enter team's previous win total since TD's tenure here) without signing _____ (enter the premier player at DE/WR/DT/CB/LB/OL, you can have fun with this one) by today!!!!"

And somehow, TD finds a way to make the team better. I'm in the same boat guys. I was really jacked to look at the board in the hopes it would say "Edwards is a Falcon!!!" but I also know that TD has a track record of letting the crazy dollars fly around first, and then swoops in. Patience...patience.

I think Edwards is losing leverage, not gaining. Falcons main competition is the Browns and Titans now - really?

Eagles were a viable and attractive destination for Edwards - Titans and Browns, not so much...

If teams were so "HOT" for Ray Edwards, he would be signed by now - everyday that goes by, I think he gets less and less money.

I don't know if Falcons even want him, but if they do, it will be at their number - not some outrageous number.

Kiwanuka is a good player. 4 sacks in 3 games last year before he got hurt. Does the neck injury thing bother me? Yeah, it does...Would I pay him top dollar? No, I wouldn't. But here's the thing - you sign Kiwanuka to a shorter deal for less money with more incentives and you only do it if Falcons doctors sign off on the player. Its a gamble - I agree - but a calculated one with a high payoff. Kiwanuka is excellent pass rusher.

I agree with this g-dawg. The FO probably isn't fully sold on Ray Edwards at his price but they know it is either the Falcons at their price or the Browns/Titans at his price. And he is on record saying he wants to come here so we know he doesn't want to go to a loser. So either come for a reasonable price, as TD knows he is better than the LEs we currently have, or go to a loser.

I appreciate a thoughtful, well written, heartfelt post at least as much as the next guy. But 'epic fail' is way over the top. I was disappointed by TDs draft strategy, and some needed things haven't yet happened in free agency. They may not happen at all - that's the nature of the beast when 32 teams are all scrambling for a handful of talented FAs.

If 33-15 over the last three years isn't enough to make a guy happy, I don't know what is. A few playoff wins would make us all happier, but the way I see it, that just gives us more to look forward to.

You just can't throw around money, they have to stay fiscally responsible. They liked Charles Johnson, but they were not going to over pay for him...that's cool. Babin was available, but you can't go after a guy just because he is a DE, he has to be what they want...that's cool. FA just started they'll make their move on somebody they really like.

I agree with this g-dawg. The FO probably isn't fully sold on Ray Edwards at his price but they know it is either the Falcons at their price or the Browns/Titans at his price. And he is on record saying he wants to come here so we know he doesn't want to go to a loser. So either come for a reasonable price, as TD knows he is better than the LEs we currently have, or go to a loser.

yep....I predict he will go to the loser for more money but y'never know. I think if the spread is less than $1mil/yr he probably picks Falcons but more than that and he probably goes Browns/Titans.

G-Dawg's Falcon Offer to Ray Edwards:

5yrs, $35million, $14million guaranteed - take it or leave it Ray

I just love how some people who might watch a quarter here maybe a half there during the regular season come on here and say our defense sucks after watching the only game they've probably seen from start to finish.

The defense finished 5th in the most important defensive stat of all, points allowed. There were only 3 of the 17 games played were the defense gave up more than 30 points. Including that play-off debacle with GB.

Hardly grounds of blowing up the entire defense and starting over.

I was going to write a long point-by-point reply, but I'll just distill it into two points.

First, if the offence had not gone PUNT, TD, PICK, PICK, PUNT on its first five possessions against Green Bay, maybe we wouldn't have lost the time of possession battle by 17 minutes and the defence would have had some time to regroup.

Secondly, in 2009 Green Bay gave up 51 points in the playoffs.

The "huge signings" that changed their team for 2010?

Charlie Peprah

Howard Green

Erik Walden

Yeah, huge signings and not letting your own players develop is the way to go...

Really? Remember when Vilma was there for the taking? We didn't go for him and he went to our biggest rival. I think it was a major mistake not taking him, as it turned out he played great for NO and still does. How about when Peppers was available last year. Do you think, looking back that if we had acquired him, we might have beat GB and maybe even won the SB? He absolutely would have made our pass rush better. There's no denying that So, when I see players that we could really use going to other teams, it's frustrating. That being said, I do have faith in TD and understand that he and his people are much better at these things than I am. It sounds like we have a good chance of getting Edwards and probably getting Clabo back, so that's a good thing. Not to mention we will have a healthy Peters and Jerry on the line. We'll see if that helps, too.

BTW, I've been following the Falcons since 1978 and I agree with you 100%, we are so much better with Mr. Blank as the owner and of course with TD and Smitty!!!

GO FALCONS!!!

I just love how some people who might watch a quarter here maybe a half there during the regular season come on here and say our defense sucks after watching the only game they've probably seen from start to finish.

The defense finished 5th in the most important defensive stat of all, points allowed. There were only 3 of the 17 games played were the defense gave up more than 30 points. Including that play-off debacle with GB.

Hardly grounds of blowing up the entire defense and starting over.

Something you should learn, assumption is the mother of all *&%$-ups

I was going to write a long point-by-point reply, but I'll just distill it into two points.

First, if the offence had not gone PUNT, TD, PICK, PICK, PUNT on its first five possessions against Green Bay, maybe we wouldn't have lost the time of possession battle by 17 minutes and the defence would have had some time to regroup.

Charlie Peprah

Howard Green

Erik Walden

Yeah, huge signings and not letting your own players develop is the way to go...

Good point. I still have faith in Beirmann and Sidbury. We just need to find another corner IMO.

We are not playing the NFC West this year. That 13-3 figure is not going to happen this year...

Is our schedule that much harder this year - all our games against the South are the same, we play Green Bay again, Seattle again, at home against Philly this time. Compare our games in 2010 to what would be roughly equivalent in 2011:

LAST YR THIS YEAR

WEEK GAME RESULT WEEK GAME

1 @PIT L 1 @CHI

2 ARI W 11 TEN

3 @NO W 16 @NO

4 SF W 12 MIN

5 @CLE W 13 @HOU

6 @PHI L 2 PHI

7 CIN W 15 JAC

8 BYE 8 BYE

9 TB W 17 TB

10 BAL W 9 @IND

11 @STL W 7 @DET

12 GB W 5 GB

13 @TB W 3 @TB

14 @CAR W 14 @CAR

15 @SEA W 4 @SEA

16 NO L 10 NO

17 CAR W 6 CAR

Edited by jlrfalcon

Really? Remember when Vilma was there for the taking? We didn't go for him and he went to our biggest rival. I think it was a major mistake not taking him, as it turned out he played great for NO and still does. How about when Peppers was available last year. Do you think, looking back that if we had acquired him, we might have beat GB and maybe even won the SB? He absolutely would have made our pass rush better. There's no denying that So, when I see players that we could really use going to other teams, it's frustrating. That being said, I do have faith in TD and understand that he and his people are much better at these things than I am. It sounds like we have a good chance of getting Edwards and probably getting Clabo back, so that's a good thing. Not to mention we will have a healthy Peters and Jerry on the line. We'll see if that helps, too.

BTW, I've been following the Falcons since 1978 and I agree with you 100%, we are so much better with Mr. Blank as the owner and of course with TD and Smitty!!!

GO FALCONS!!!

For 15 Mil a year, the bears got fewer sacks from Peppers than the year before, and as a team, they got fewer sacks per pass attempt than they did the year before.

In the playoffs, Biermann had better numbers than Peppers, Jamaal Anderson had as many tackles and Peppers didn't help the Bears beat GB.

Yeah, could have been different if he was here, but can't see 8 sacks is worth 15 million a year.

Charlie Peprah

Howard Green

Erik Walden

Yet New England continually adds free agents year after year. Seems that their track record is pretty good too...