TD on Verge of Epic Fail at FA

As a long-time Falcon fan I have become accustomed to a string of disappointments throughout the years. This season's acquisitions through the draft and free agency have certainly left this fan disappointed.

Any level headed fan can evaluate the loss in the playoffs to the Packers and can come to the conclusion that our pass defense has some serious deficiencies. There are two elements to pass defense, apart from scheme, and they are a pass rush and pass coverage. So looking to the draft, I was convinced that the route to go was to find help on the defensive side of the ball, specifically a pass rushing defensive end. To me this seemed to be the logical path to follow. The Falcons ended up with a 13-3 regular season record with the number one seed in the playoffs. You don't get there without doing things right, but playoff football is a different caliber all together. We found that out real quick while watching our defense get picked apart with surgical precision against the Packers. Playoff football requires defensive excellence in order to excel. That is a fact. Teams that have done it with offensive prowess are an aberration and have not been able to sustain that level of excellence. Teams with excellent defenses and defensive schemes have been able to sustain that caliber of play. In order to get to that level of excellence the Falcons need to improvement at LDE, DT, LB, and Corner.

To my surprise, the front office gave up a good portion of the available draft picks this year and a 1st round pick next year to grab Julio Jones. Now, I like the pick, don't get me wrong here, but it really comes down to what kind of philosophy that you want to build your team around. The Falcons had a very serviceable wide receiver in Michael Jenkins and there is a good supply of wide receivers in the free agent market. So why invest so much in someone that will not provide the impact necessary to get the Falcons to the next level in the palyoffs? It is a head scratcher, but alas, after the draft was over, I dusted myself off, got up, and picked up the Falcons flag again, carrying it with eager anticipation for this off season's free agent signing period. The Falcons have to improve the pass rush and I was sure that they would be players for a quality defensive end in the free agent market. In my opinion, getting a premier DE opposite JA55 is the only option. If Abraham gets hurt, and let's face it, he has had an injury bug, the Falcons are screwed. In building for the future, not having another premier DE on the team is short sighted at best. I give JA55 2 more years after this season. Would be nice not to enter the draft next season needing two premier DE's without a first round pick.

Standing pat on the defensive side of the ball is not an option in my opinion, getting Ray Edwards or making a trade for a DE that other teams have made available through the GM grapevine is one very important piece. If not, TD has failed, in a major way this off season. Unthinkable with a young team on the cusp....

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i did not need to read your 1,000 word diatribe - the title was enough.

we are all anxious to find out how free agency shakes out but it has just started. Passing on Charles Johnson at $12mil/yr for 6 years was a good move - CJ is a very good player and may "earn the contract" but it would have been a huge risk. I desperately wanted CJ myself but not at those figures - it was "stupid money".

there are still plenty of options out there. relax.

Man I sure hope this guy whos turned our team into a consistent winner, something any fan would know we have never been, knows what hes doing. smh

Your condescension is noted, I must not be near the fan that your are. Just as a side note, would like to know what your evaluation of the loss to Green Bay identified as the weakness of this team and what was done in the off season to fix that deficiency?

Your condescension is noted, I must not be near the fan that your are. Just as a side note, would like to know what your evaluation of the loss to Green Bay identified as the weakness of this team and what was done in the off season to fix that deficiency?

the offseason has consisted of two days. sheesh! make your comments in 1-2 weeks when the roster is set. You are making yourself out to look idiotic right now.

Quit jumping the sharkgreat-white-helicopter.jpg

News hasnt been wonderful so far, but epic fail is a huge reach. Maybe if we were dropping players like flies, then it was reported td and company were on a fishing trip in canada.. I'd say yea this might be an epic free agency fail. But they are working deals, resigning players, and most importantly, not hitting the panic button and shuffling out 70 mil to one guy just for the sake of doing it.. I'd say so far, we've seen success, and soon we'll see "epic" success

Everyone is blaming it on Ryan or our DE's I'm blaming it on our DT's who got no push whatsoever and allowed Rodgers a field day to elude the edge rush and to step up and wing it all nite. I blame BVG for having 3 lbers on the field when GB was 4 wide ....and most of all I blame Aaron Mfkng Rodgers for being just too dam good .......

We had a bad game indeed. However, you seem to forget us going 13-3 last year. It was the Packers time, and nobody was going to stop them.

my personal opinion and one that i noted all season was that the offense lacked the big play punch. the defense largely played respectably and i don't think pointing to the GB game alone is the right way to evaluate a team's strengths and weaknesses.

also, the offense sh!t themselves against GB and never helped pick up the defense. one hand washes the other - the offense and defense. so, personally, i like that the front office attempted to upgrade it's explosiveness even before looking for defensive help.

go back and review the drafts since TD's inception - once he obtained matt ryan and sam baker, he has been 80% defensive in his picks. how about we let his picks develop and mature instead of freak out over one game and invest heavily in one player?

i think TD is going about his business quite well, and for once in this franchise's history, Atlanta is a rock-solid team with a strong foundation. a far cry from the prior ownership's reign.

I may be jumping the shark, a bit, but pieces are falling off the board....

what pieces are falling off the board?

Charles Johnson?

Yeah, I agree he would have been great, but it was WAAAAY too much $$$$

Jason Babin?

He was a poor scheme fit and he's too old at 30 to give a 5yr deal

Nnamdi Asoumugha?

Do you really think Falcons were ever going after him with $14mm/yr demands while Falcons have lots of money tied up in Dunta Robinson and soon Brent Grimes.

Ray Edwards is still out there

Mathias Kiwanuka is still out there

We still have opportunity to re-sign some O-Linemen

WTH?

If Falcons don't get a legit D-End, I admit I'm gonna be pizzed. But I'm not pizzed now - they still might get one.

Yep. Epic fail. You know blowing up a 13-3 team is needed. Or maybe reaching and overpaying a player will make us that much better.

the fact that we were 13-3 shows we are a good team and can score...the fact that we got exposed after 2 weeks to prepare for a team we just beat and got demolished proves the ops point...we traded up to the 6th pick for a pos we didnt need when in fact we could have traded up to the 14th-16th pick and got a player of need,saved some future draft picks,and took a chance on a proven wr in fa...we chose to try to upgrade de in fa,and cj(i know he got paid alot,but he might be worth it)is gone,babin is gone,and edwards is the best left,and theres not a whole lot of vaible options after that...if you look at it logically,the op makes a good point and shouldnt be dismissed so easily...we will see how it all turns out

Standing pat on the defensive side of the ball is not an option in my opinion, getting Ray Edwards or making a trade for a DE that other teams have made available through the GM grapevine is one very important piece. If not, TD has failed, in a major way this off season. Unthinkable with a young team on the cusp....

Agree. The move for JJ is validated not by JJ's performance, but how the "D" performs in 2011-2012. Our schedule is way too tough to venture with last years defense IMHO. TD sent out a win now message to me with the JJ move...Edwards or a solid NB/CB DB is a must.

Last time I checked it wasnt my job, or yours, to identify the weaknesses of this team and make a plan as how to correct said weaknesses. Can I sit at home or at the Dome and say that this or that was bad or so and so didnt or isnt performing as well as they should be? Yes I can but all that qualifies me to do is make senseless post on a message board.....