Rest In Peace Amy Winehouse

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent choice there D......I guess Parker was an idiot too.....

Lenny Bruce

John Belushi

Dorothy Dandridge

Mitch Hedberg

Jimi Hendrix

Michael Jackson

Jack Kerouac

Heath Ledger

Man. Try as I might I don't see an idiot in that entire group. :rolleyes:

I do....several. Different definitions I guess.

Guest Gritz

I do....several. Different definitions I guess.

It's pretty clear that you see addiction in people as either a character flaw or a sign of low intelligence....or some combination I guess.

Yeah, we are going to vehemently disagree on this.

Guest Gritz

And then there's these two!!!

How they managed to survive for so long is amazing?!? Keith is obviously still with us thankfully. :D

keith-richards.jpg

hunter1.jpg

I was really disappointed when Thompson took his own life.

It's pretty clear that you see addiction in people as either a character flaw or a sign of low intelligence....or some combination I guess.

Can you get addicted to crack or herione without doing it a first time? I'm not sure, but I don't think you can.

Agreed Gritz. Addiction is a powerful POWERFUL thing. Creative genious is trancendent and can never die.

How's the saying go...

Better to burn out than fade away.

Guest Gritz

Can you get addicted to crack or herione without doing it a first time? I'm not sure, but I don't think you can.

No offense but I see you do this all of the time with other posters.....get into these semantically circular arguments that have no exit ramp. I'm not really interested.

I know where you stand and you know where I stand. Let's leave it at that.

No offense but I see you do this all of the time with other posters.....get into these semantically circular arguments that have no exit ramp. I'm not really interested.

I know where you stand and you know where I stand. Let's leave it at that.

No problem, I'll make the point I was trying to get at, then be done with it. Everybody knows heroin and cocaine, especially crack cocaine, are highly addictive. You can't get addicted to them unless you start using them.

In my opinion, anybody who starts taking those drugs is an idiot...before they get addicted.

The girl had problems and issues. She wasn't an idiot and that is not the way that we as humans should react to this type of thing. Its a sad day for the boards and a stark reminder of things I will not post!

I wasn't a fan, but she was a person!

this........ and then this again....

The girl had problems and issues. She wasn't an idiot and that is not the way that we as humans should react to this type of thing. Its a sad day for the boards and a stark reminder of things I will not post!

I wasn't a fan, but she was a person!

So were those 90+ people in Norway. But this nation is so obsessed with gossip that the things that we should really be concerned about get swept under the rug. I will not apologize for not feeling remorse for someone who would selfishly end their own life by giving into drugs and alcohol, when there are people on the other side of the world that had their lives taken from them in such a violent and brutish manner.

So were those 90+ people in Norway. But this nation is so obsessed with gossip that the things that we should really be concerned about get swept under the rug. I will not apologize for not feeling remorse for someone who would selfishly end their own life by giving into drugs and alcohol, when there are people on the other side of the world that had their lives taken from them in such a violent and brutish manner.

What on Earth gives you the right to judge someone like that with a problem? Is that your excuse? Norway? That's sickening man. Throw your humanity on one side then use 90 some odd deaths as your excuse to be cold hearted.

not sure why 90 deaths make one other one not matter...

also not sure why I am surprised by the lack of sensitivity when substance abuse is involved.

to each their own......both are pretty sad to me...

What on Earth gives you the right to judge someone like that with a problem? Is that your excuse? Norway? That's sickening man. Throw your humanity on one side then use 90 some odd deaths as your excuse to be cold hearted.

The people that lost their lives in Norway is not an excuse. I would feel the same way even if that tragedy did not happen. Call me cold hearted if you want. I have seen first hand what drugs abuse can do to one's family. People who recklessly and selfishly throw their lives away without any regard to how they affect those around them deserve no empathy. My personal experiences have shaped my thoughts and feelings on this matter. I can tell by your post, and your handle, that you are a man of faith. I respect you greatly for your beliefs and admit that you are a bigger man than I for showing compassion where I cannot.

The people that lost their lives in Norway is not an excuse. I would feel the same way even if that tragedy did not happen. Call me cold hearted if you want. I have seen first hand what drugs abuse can do to one's family. People who recklessly and selfishly throw their lives away without any regard to how they affect those around them deserve no empathy. My personal experiences have shaped my thoughts and feelings on this matter. I can tell by your post, and your handle, that you are a man of faith. I respect you greatly for your beliefs and admit that you are a bigger man than I for showing compassion where I cannot.

I'm sorry for posting in anger, but my family has been nearly torn apart due to drugs and alcohol. Crack all on my mother's side of the family and even an uncle who was on crack and murdered at the age of 50 something. Man I know drugs all too well being from the Southside of Chicago and having family all in the Delta of Mississippi where crack runs as free as weed, but when a person loses their life no matter why...its sad. Its so very sad and what's worse is how she lived and not how she died.

So I guess mentioning that Amy checking out won me this year's dead pool would be completely inappropriate then. Oops.

Seriously, 150,000 people die in the world every day, and most of the don't do it to themselves. I'm not going to feel bad for pointing out that she did it to herself, something everybody in the world knows anyway.

Seriously? I haven't been keeping up with this but you're making this sound like a suicide, all the while feeling no pity for her over something she can't control (the media). In essence, if you're blaming her for the media reporting on this first, you're implying this was an act for attention. Absolutely ridiculous.

It's stupid to have neither a little bit of empathy or sympathy for this woman. Drug addicts experience sickening withdrawals that cripple their motivation to overcome their addiction. I'm not an addict but I imagine overcoming an addiction is insanely difficult.

Really, what you're ignoring is that this was a struggle that she lost. Are you going to say you have never had to struggle through something and cannot feel a slight bit of empathy for a young woman who couldn't perservere through a difficult time in her life?

So I guess mentioning that Amy checking out won me this year's dead pool would be completely inappropriate then. Oops.

Seriously, 150,000 people die in the world every day, and most of the don't do it to themselves. I'm not going to feel bad for pointing out that she did it to herself, something everybody in the world knows anyway.

Its not her man, its what she represents. Do you want to talk about the one's that I know who I have lost? Would that make it any better. No, its not about being sad for HER, its being sad for the whole thing and remembering that this is a reality and that she is not an anomaly.

No problem, I'll make the point I was trying to get at, then be done with it. Everybody knows heroin and cocaine, especially crack cocaine, are highly addictive. You can't get addicted to them unless you start using them.

In my opinion, anybody who starts taking those drugs is an idiot...before they get addicted.

There's some logic in your post, but you also seem to be assuming that all addicts were perfectly happy and healthy before they discovered drugs and then they ruined their lives. But many, MANY people turn to drugs or any number of other things in an attempt to fix something inside them that they haven't been able to fix through their own efforts. It's like there is a hole in them and they try to fill it up with anything they can in order to make things right.

Seriously? I haven't been keeping up with this but you're making this sound like a suicide, all the while feeling no pity for her over something she can't control (the media). In essence, if you're blaming her for the media reporting on this first, you're implying this was an act for attention. Absolutely ridiculous.

It's stupid to have neither a little bit of empathy or sympathy for this woman. Drug addicts experience sickening withdrawals that cripple their motivation to overcome their addiction. I'm not an addict but I imagine overcoming an addiction is insanely difficult.

Really, what you're ignoring is that this was a struggle that she lost. Are you going to say you have never had to struggle through something and cannot feel a slight bit of empathy for a young woman who couldn't perservere through a difficult time in her life?

You are right, the media cannot be controlled, to an extent. I do have to disagree with you, dying from drug abuse IS suicide. You know the risk every time you pick up that pipe. But I digress.

Everyone has struggles in their lives. But most struggles are caused by things beyond one's control. She made the choice to pick that pipe up the first time, and therefore must face the consequences.

As I said in my post above, anyone who can show sympathy for someone who struggles with addiction, I respect. But because of my own experiences in my life, I cannot.

What the he!! is wrong with our society? Why can't people just know when to keep their mouths shut? It's fine if you didn't like her, or how she chose to live her life, but why do you just HAVE to come into a thread that is very obviously for people who did like her to pay their respects? I don't personally know anything about her other than she had serious drug problems. I have very strong feelings and experiences on those things, but this isn't the place for that. I'd rather just let others who were touched in some way by this person have their place to show their respects. It blows my mind that so many others can't be civilized enough to do the same. It's like the internet, blogs, Twitter, forums, Facebook, etc. has allowed EVERYONE to think that they have to put in their 2 cents just because they can. Well, just because you CAN do something often doesn't mean you sSHOULD.

As was said earlier, junkie and/or genius, this was a human being first and foremost. Show your respects, and if you don't have any, don't say a word and show yourself the door.

What the he!! is wrong with our society? Why can't people just know when to keep their mouths shut? It's fine if you didn't like her, or how she chose to live her life, but why do you just HAVE to come into a thread that is very obviously for people who did like her to pay their respects? I don't personally know anything about her other than she had serious drug problems. I have very strong feelings and experiences on those things, but this isn't the place for that. I'd rather just let others who were touched in some way by this person have their place to show their respects. It blows my mind that so many others can't be civilized enough to do the same. It's like the internet, blogs, Twitter, forums, Facebook, etc. has allowed EVERYONE to think that they have to put in their 2 cents just because they can. Well, just because you CAN do something often doesn't mean you sSHOULD.

As was said earlier, junkie and/or genius, this was a human being first and foremost. Show your respects, and if you don't have any, don't say a word and show yourself the door.

This!