I don't need media to tell me what is obvious, and that is that the Falcons don't have the money to make a big splash in free agency: Either the cap money or the real money.

The Falcons have something like 100 million in commited salary for 2011, but only 41 or 42 players under contract. Maybe less.

Even if they don't resign the FA, which include Clabo, Dahl, Blalock, Snelling, Matt Bryant, Peterson, Nicholas, Weems, and Grimes, they are going to have to sign veteran FA to replace most of these guys.

Then, the Falcons are going to have to sign their draft picks, and even with the rookie wage scale, Julio Jones is going to get a big contract and a big bonus.

Then, after all that, Blank has to stroke a 22 million dollar bonus check to Matt Ryan, in addition to his 10 million salary.

So....no...I don't think the Falcons will make a big splash in FA either, but I don't need somebody from the media to tell me that.

you lookin @ da books?:]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

frankly i dont understand how someone can claim to know what blank has in the bank. I understand the salary cap part of it but its simply impossible for you to know what the team can afford or can not afford with its bottom line. sounds like an assumption ( at least partially) to me. you act as if even if the brass wanted to make a move we couldn't because our owners hands are tied financially. I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

frankly i dont understand how someone can claim to know what blank has in the bank. I understand the salary cap part of it but its simply impossible for you to know what the team can afford or can not afford with its bottom line. sounds like assumptions are being made to me. you act as if even if the brass wanted to make a move we couldn't because our owners hands are tied financially. I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Blank's net worth, the team's worth, the team's debt load, and the Falcons net profit for the last decade are all readily available.

That's more than enough to form a reasoned opinion on the subject.

so basically you really dont think we can afford a ray edwards or charles johnson? cuz i was under the impression we still had some flexibility. clearly you know more about this part than I but i feel like teams have absorbed salaries before when its looked like they couldn't. I just cant imagine them not making the move if they really want the guy. Also between the salaries of JA98 and Chauncey Davis alone couldn't they MAKE the salary cap space by cutting them?(at least for the most part)

i feel like the fact that abe wont be costing nearly as much going into the future can also help. Thats assuming he even stays after his contract is up.(at the very least i expect a pay cut) Between abe chauncy and jamaal it seems like we can make some changes that while at the same time upgrading our pass rush, streamline our spending on the D line. By the way these are assumptions. :)

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

so basically you really dont think we can afford a ray edwards or charles johnson? cuz i was under the impression we still had some flexibility. clearly you know more about this part than I but i feel like teams have absorbed salaries before when its looked like they couldn't. I just cant imagine them not making the move if they really want the guy. Also between the salaries of JA98 and Chauncey Davis alone couldn't they MAKE the salary cap space by cutting them?(at least for the most part)

If the Falcons decide to go with 3 unproven commodities on the OL, then they probably will be in the running for one of those guys.

I kind of expect the Falcons to go a different route and kill two birds with one stone. I expect them to go after a FA OLB who is a proven pass rusher.

Jenkins cap hit is a lot higher than Davis or JA98, he is the guy I'd expect to be a cap casualty. Not that those other two guys aren't good candidates to be cut.

Jason La Canfora is a GOD. I mean you guys take the word of one of the sexiest, smartest most intelligent men alive on this earth today. Women love him, and Men want to be him. Every one BOW DOWN when he comes to your TOWN.

JASON LA CANFORA!!!!

Screen-shot-2011-05-03-at-10.30.13-PM.png

Everyone, we can sleep well at night because Jason La Canfora has got our news! The same guy who s**t* on the Falcons and Matt Ryan his whole life. I wish i could punch him right in the face.

Edited by sivivan

If the Falcons decide to go with 3 unproven commodities on the OL, then they probably will be in the running for one of those guys.

I kind of expect the Falcons to go a different route and kill two birds with one stone. I expect them to go after a FA OLB who is a proven pass rusher.

Jenkins cap hit is a lot higher than Davis or JA98, he is the guy I'd expect to be a cap casualty. Not that those other two guys aren't good candidates to be cut.

i actually agree with this, i think OLB is a very real possibility