really? Michael turner regress?

Guest fibonacci

Guest mashburn

NFL: Michael Turner and 6 Other Players Likely to Regress in 2011‎

Michael Turner recorded 1,371 yards and 12 touchdowns on the ground for a very good Atlanta Falcons team in 2010.

The Falcons practically traded their souls to Cleveland for the sixth pick in the 2011 NFL Draft so they could select star Alabama receiver Julio Jones. With Jones across from Roddy White, quarterback Matt Ryan should have a career year.

Normally this would lead to better stats for Turner, as defenses will not be able to key in on him as much. However, a couple of things are working against the 5'10", 244 pound back in 2011.

First, Turner led the league in carries last season, and Walter Cherepinsky of WalterFootball.com points out that the league leader in carries usually regresses the next season.

A great example of this is Turner himself, who had only 871 yards in 11 games in 2009 after toting the rock a whopping 376 times in 2008.

Turner averaged 3.3, 2.8, 3.9 and 3.9 yards per carry in each of his final four 2010 games, respectively. This could be an omen of things to come in 2011.

The second reason is the NFL lockout. Julio Jones won't have near as much time to learn the offense before the season begins, and this could indirectly affect Turner. If Jones isn't effective early in the season, defenses will be able to focus more on Turner anyway.

The Falcon's star back is a stud, but he's set to take a step back in 2011.

Guest mashburn

It really depends on Matt Ryan. If Matt Ryan has another sensational year of converting 3rd downs, Turner probably will have another good year.

good point. I do think we will cause now with Julio opening it, it means we have a better chance then we did last season.

I see Turner's carries going down but his aypc going up. Hopefuly that means a fresher Turner come playoff time.

Time to let Ryan carry more of the load on his shoulders. He has the expierence and the weapons around him to do it now.

The second reason is the NFL lockout. Julio Jones won't have near as much time to learn the offense before the season begins, and this could indirectly affect Turner. If Jones isn't effective early in the season, defenses will be able to focus more on Turner anyway.

I guess he doesn't know all Julio and Matt have been doing is working together. Who else does he need to teach him the offense? Matt seems to know it better than MM himself.

Turner is 29 and showed signs of regression last season. A rather unimpressive year for him. Couple his regression with the Falcons supposed new passing focus, sure I can see him regress some more.

Michael Turner recorded 1,371 yards and 12 touchdowns on the ground

If you guys can get that from Ingram, you would be very happy. Ha unimpressive! Yes he didn't get 1700yds and 17 TDs like 08 but he also didn't get 400 carries.

Maybe we should expect 400yds rushing since that's the norm for guys like Bush over in AintLand

A great example of this is Turner himself, who had only 871 yards in 11 games in 2009 after toting the rock a whopping 376 times in 2008.

I hate reading stuff like this. I understand you have to try and back your argument, but it's so dishonest to spin something to support your claim.

What the writer doesn't say is 871 yards, in 11 games, averaging 4.9 yards per carry and notching 10 touchdowns. He also doesn't point out that while Turner DID appear in 11 games, one was the game he got hurt in (at Carolina), and the game he attempted to start but couldn't (at New York Jets).

i really don't see any say Turners statistics go up at this point in time in his career. actually (as crazy as this sounds) I only want to see on stat go up, and that is yards per carry. The ball should be spread around more with quiz taking on some carries if he comes thru for us. snelling, norwood, johnoson, ovie, whoever, getting their share.

i soooooooo want to see the ball spread around to all the talent that I really don't expect turner to get the number of calls he has gotten in the last three seasons.

I see Turner's carries going down but his aypc going up. Hopefuly that means a fresher Turner come playoff time.

Time to let Ryan carry more of the load on his shoulders. He has the expierence and the weapons around him to do it now.

Exactly!

Turner is 29 and showed signs of regression last season. A rather unimpressive year for him. Couple his regression with the Falcons supposed new passing focus, sure I can see him regress some more.

if that season by turner is unimpressive you really dont kno what ur b#tching about. 3rd or maybe 4th at worst in the leage is a great season whatever way you slice it. If your looking for the perfect example of an unimpressive running game look no further than your own horrible running game. With that passing attack and o line those backs probably have the easiest jobs in the league and still find ways to screw it up.

There is one constant in Turner's success with the

Falcons and that is Mike Mularkey's tendency, indeed,

preference to pound the ball. Even when Norwood was

healthy he got few touches because that is not Mularkey's

style. Even with all the new toys and everybody's expectation

that he will use them, I think we can stand by for a similar

approach.

We can expect to hear howling from the peanut gallery as long

as Mularkey is around. I did it myself when Norwood was available

and not being used. Now, I just enjoy it because I like the running

game very well.

He may or may not, but actually having a scat back that can come in and catch passes and run on 1st down every now and then is going to already lessen his load. If we don't re-sign Snelling, and it looks like he would like to be a starter somewhere, then we will need another bruiser to back Turner up.

if that season by turner is unimpressive you really dont kno what ur b#tching about. 3rd or maybe 4th at worst in the leage is a great season whatever way you slice it. If your looking for the perfect example of an unimpressive running game look no further than your own horrible running game. With that passing attack and o line those backs probably have the easiest jobs in the league and still find ways to screw it up.

+1

He may or may not, but actually having a scat back that can come in and catch passes and run on 1st down every now and then is going to already lessen his load. If we don't re-sign Snelling, and it looks like he would like to be a starter somewhere, then we will need another bruiser to back Turner up.

Turner regressing may actually be a good thing for the Falcons. First of all, it gives you guys more opportunities to get the ball to guys like Roddy, Julio, Gonzo, Snelling, etc. Second of all, it means Turner will get less carries which could add some time to his career. Think LT, he's regressed but is still going strong.

Man Exactly. I just want to know, how many yards that boi Bush going to rack up this year? Fake azz Barry Sanders. :lol:

If you guys can get that from Ingram, you would be very happy. Ha unimpressive! Yes he didn't get 1700yds and 17 TDs like 08 but he also didn't get 400 carries.

Maybe we should expect 400yds rushing since that's the norm for guys like Bush over in AintLand

22 carries a game for only 86 yards is not impressive for a guy that is supposed to be a top 5 back in the NFL. A top 5 back in the NFL should be averaging over 100 yards per game if he's getting 22 carries.

For comparisons sake, in 08 he had 24 carries for 106 yards per game, and in 09 he had 16 carries a game for 79 yards per game. Those are impressive numbers.