A TDWII Observation: Pressure is on Mularkey

Most of us layman fans can visibly see the limitations of Jenkins in the passing game and while Gonzalez is still a tremendously dependable pass catcher in critical situations, from a personnel standpoint, the Falcons are not a sudden/quick twitch type of offense.

You sir are no layman... If only the AJC had this kind of coverage!

Great read!

Thanks!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt that Mularkey will be bulls-eyed this year, in large part because of the shiny new toy that's been handed to him. But there's a fundamental flaw in the OP's logic regarding YAC, and the notion that bigger, stronger receivers necessarily improve YAC stats.

In 2010, 10 of the top 11 YAC guys were running backs. Only Santana Moss cracked the list as a receiver. The reason? Running backs with receiving skills receive the ball in open space far more frequently than WRs, and are generally better at breaking tackles and dragging tacklers than even the most physical WRs.

If you're looking for a reason why the Falcons YAC was low, look no farther than Michael Turner's hands, Jerious Norwood's injury and the limited roles of Jason Snelling and Ovie Mughelli. The acquisition of Jacquizz Rodgers may help, but only if he shows he can handle pass-protect assignments. If not, his entry into the lineup would be an instant cue to the defense.

In any case, the Julio Jones pick in no way guarantees improved YAC.

Nice post.

There's no doubt that Mularkey will be bulls-eyed this year, in large part because of the shiny new toy that's been handed to him. But there's a fundamental flaw in the OP's logic regarding YAC, and the notion that bigger, stronger receivers necessarily improve YAC stats.

In 2010, 10 of the top 11 YAC guys were running backs. Only Santana Moss cracked the list as a receiver. The reason? Running backs with receiving skills receive the ball in open space far more frequently than WRs, and are generally better at breaking tackles and dragging tacklers than even the most physical WRs.

If you're looking for a reason why the Falcons YAC was low, look no farther than Michael Turner's hands, Jerious Norwood's injury and the limited roles of Jason Snelling and Ovie Mughelli. The acquisition of Jacquizz Rodgers may help, but only if he shows he can handle pass-protect assignments. If not, his entry into the lineup would be an instant cue to the defense.

Posters have such a hard on for Jenkins that they will ignore the real facts while making something up to create an illusion that there is some type of indictment against his play...The argument this time is its o.k. for Gonzales to be last amongst tight ends in YAK because he is Tony G...Its O.k. for Roddy White to top 5 worse in YAK amongst receivers because he is Roddy White but Jenkins low JAK yards further proves his uselessness! :blink:

MM did very well with the Steelers offense in the past. It went through a sudden change of philosophy, so I'm sure he can handle it. Our team was young (still is) when he implemented his initial game planning style, and it seemed to do just fine... (back-to-back-to-back winning seasons) so I'm not worried.

I have full faith in our coaching staff to get the job done.

MM did very well with the Steelers offense in the past. It went through a sudden change of philosophy, so I'm sure he can handle it. Our team was young (still is) when he implemented his initial game planning style, and it seemed to do just fine... (back-to-back-to-back winning seasons) so I'm not worried.

I have full faith in our coaching staff to get the job done.

Be careful. Showing optimism, regardless of it being warranted or not, can quickly get oneself labeled a homer.

Sincerely,

falken (Self anointed Kool-Ade drinker)

If I may jump in here...

Great thread. Here's a wrinkle to MM offense that I haven't seen brought up yet. I hope I can articulate this correctly...

watching NFLN last year, they had MM during a segment in which he was explaining some of his stuff. The MM offense goes something like this:

Each pass package has multiple route options for the receivers. The premise is that the receiver can run one of the routes designed according to where the defense lines up. If the defense lines up one way, the qb and receiver know the route the receiver should run. Mularkey claims that this way the defense is always out of position, as long as the qb and wr make the correct reads.

The problem is, as we saw last year, that defenses pick all that stuff up on tape, so by the end of the year, defenses are lining up in order to direct the offensive reads where they want them. Mularkey's scheme allows the defense to dictate where the ball goes. Defenses start noticing the offense's read tendencies by studying film, then when they see that formation in games, they line up correctly and know which routes the wr and qb are going to "read."

IMO, Mularkey needs to get away from this "multiple route read" offense and just attack other teams according to their individual weaknesses; design specific routes to free up receivers, and go a little deeper than installing a basic football offense.

If I may jump in here...

Great thread. Here's a wrinkle to MM offense that I haven't seen brought up yet. I hope I can articulate this correctly...

watching NFLN last year, they had MM during a segment in which he was explaining some of his stuff. The MM offense goes something like this:

Each pass package has multiple route options for the receivers. The premise is that the receiver can run one of the routes designed according to where the defense lines up. If the defense lines up one way, the qb and receiver know the route the receiver should run. Mularkey claims that this way the defense is always out of position, as long as the qb and wr make the correct reads.

The problem is, as we saw last year, that defenses pick all that stuff up on tape, so by the end of the year, defenses are lining up in order to direct the offensive reads where they want them. Mularkey's scheme allows the defense to dictate where the ball goes. Defenses start noticing the offense's read tendencies by studying film, then when they see that formation in games, they line up correctly and know which routes the wr and qb are going to "read."

IMO, Mularkey needs to get away from this "multiple route read" offense and just attack other teams according to their individual weaknesses; design specific routes to free up receivers, and go a little deeper than installing a basic football offense.

I bet when Ryan and Bratkowski start working together, they will point this out and just straight out go at the defense. We have too much talent to be dictated by the defense. There aren't 5 secondaries in the league that can shut down the pass attack we now have. MM is the reason we get shut down.

defenses pick all that stuff up on tape, so by the end of the year, defenses are lining up in order to direct the offensive reads where they want them. Mularkey's scheme allows the defense to dictate where the ball goes. Defenses start noticing the offense's read tendencies by studying film, then when they see that formation in games, they line up correctly and know which routes the wr and qb are going to "read."

I don't even get paid millions of dollars but I wasted quite a bit of time showing what defenses were giving us and even posted pictures. we rarely ran screen passes, we rarely got the receiver the ball in motion, rarely ran quick slants, rarely passed to Ovie, & continuously ran Turner into stacked boxes. people are so quick to post up stats to show how well MM is doing but at the same time claim that the Oline sucks, but didn't that line help contribute to the stats? no. it's because Ryan's quick release hides problems with the line. I watched some of Ryan's highlights and saw a few BC games and Ryan is fully capable of running a high powered offense. Turner has a lot left in the tank, spread defenses out and let him punish them. Ovie is always open in the flats, get him the ball. Weems didn't drop anything thrown his way, design some plays for him. why didn't we use Finneran's height advantage over smaller NBs? HD was getting separation all season but instead of throwing him the ball we forced passes to Roddy & TG. I understand we want to run a ball control offense but how controlling the ball after we're up by 3 TDs

I don't even get paid millions of dollars but I wasted quite a bit of time showing what defenses were giving us and even posted pictures. we rarely ran screen passes, we rarely got the receiver the ball in motion, rarely ran quick slants, rarely passed to Ovie, & continuously ran Turner into stacked boxes. people are so quick to post up stats to show how well MM is doing but at the same time claim that the Oline sucks, but didn't that line help contribute to the stats? no. it's because Ryan's quick release hides problems with the line. I watched some of Ryan's highlights and saw a few BC games and Ryan is fully capable of running a high powered offense. Turner has a lot left in the tank, spread defenses out and let him punish them. Ovie is always open in the flats, get him the ball. Weems didn't drop anything thrown his way, design some plays for him. why didn't we use Finneran's height advantage over smaller NBs? HD was getting separation all season but instead of throwing him the ball we forced passes to Roddy & TG. I understand we want to run a ball control offense but how controlling the ball after we're up by 3 TDs

Amen brother!

I bet when Ryan and Bratkowski start working together, they will point this out and just straight out go at the defense. We have too much talent to be dictated by the defense. There aren't 5 secondaries in the league that can shut down the pass attack we now have. MM is the reason we get shut down.

Yep. We need more spread offense. Opens running lanes and pass routes.

You have some sound points, but I think the limited use of Ovie and Snelling points to Mularkey. The Norwood loss was huge but I thought we could have nursed that loss with Snelling, Ovie, and throw in Weems and HD.

We pound the ball so much to RW, TG, and MT(rushing)and rightly so, but it under utilizes some of the potential we all ready have. Mularkey having Quizz could be the catalyst to a more explosive(YAC) offense, but he needs more imagination. IMHO.

Pressure is on:

Mike Mularkey - because he seems to have a bullseye on his back :rolleyes:

Matt Ryan - better unlock from RW and TG, spread the ball and throw a better deep ball

Oline - need to play better against good defenses. They usually don't

Dline - still can't get to a QB. After three years. Jeez

BVG - had the weakest unit in the Smitty era. Keystone cops

Smitty - out coached in the playoffs both times

TD - his high draft picks better rise up

The team - as the great Dan Reeves would say "the players have to execute"

Blank - running out of time. Ain't no spring chicken. Needs rest. Trust me

You can't talk bad about ryan, you hypocrite. It makes you look silly and look like the most clueless negative poster

You can't talk bad about ryan, you hypocrite. It makes you look silly and look like the most clueless negative poster

I know you and your little girlfriends from the Barbershop like to come on over here and be such "radical, earth-shattering muckrakers"...but you ladies really need to come up with some more original takes.

You, for instance, are a one-note Sally. It may have been cute or clever the first 10,000 times you trotted it out (unlike that piece of crap Soul Man that C. Thomas Howell stunk in) but it's getting kind of old now.

I would suggest that you take a creative writing course or at least start buying a higher grade of ganja. What passes for clever or biting with you just ain't cutting it here.

I read the post and I don't see any where that pressure is being applied to MM.

I just see a lot of "We do not like the way he is winning, he should win the way we want him to." IE "DO IT OUR WAY or you are doing it wrong."

I really do not care how he does it but as long as he gets 13-3 I'm not complaining!

Edited by delaigle

I read the post and I don't see any where that pressure is being applied to MM.

I just see a lot of "We do not like the way he is winning, he should win the way we want him to." IE "DO IT OUR WAY or you are doing it wrong."

I really do not care how he does it but as long as he gets 13-3 I'm not complaining!

And 0-2 in the playoff by being out coached!

I would also like to point out that the teams that have won the Super Bowl lately have had at least one coach (HC, OC, DC) that is a top pick at his position. Packers: Dom Capers. Saints: Payton & Williams. Steelers: **** LeBeau. Patriots: The Hooded One. Colts: Dungy

Is Smitty going to separate himself? I hope because I definitely don't see MM or Bratkowski as an OC genius nor do I see BVG becoming a defensive force. They employ more passive-aggressive schemes. It worries me that it seems like Smitty doesn't have much input on the defense compared to the Ravens/Jaguars defenses he was associated with.

I would also like to point out that the teams that have won the Super Bowl lately have had at least one coach (HC, OC, DC) that is a top pick at his position. Packers: Dom Capers. Saints: Payton & Williams. Steelers: **** LeBeau. Patriots: The Hooded One. Colts: Dungy

Is Smitty going to separate himself? I hope because I definitely don't see MM or Bratkowski as an OC genius nor do I see BVG becoming a defensive force. They employ more passive-aggressive schemes. It worries me that it seems like Smitty doesn't have much input on the defense compared to the Ravens/Jaguars defenses he was associated with.

News flash...This is Smitty's Defense!

Would you say this is similar to the defense the Jags ran those years he was there. I don't. They were way more aggressive.

If Smitty wanted a coordinator to run the defense, he would have brought in a more established defensive coordinator. and certainly would have replaced Van Gorder after 3 mediocre seasons as the team DC.

Edited by peoriabird

How is he a hypocrite? He gives a legit criticism of Ryan but balances that out by praising his abilities.

That's a reasonable viewpoint, as opposed to you, who says things like:

"

he single handedly lost the gb game"

"ryan is a gumby armed computer nerd who trys not to make mistakes"

"ryans glass ceiling already reached at 25"

"Ryan just doesn't have "it" in the playoffs"

"i just dont see ryan leading us to a championship"

"He's a turd gargler"

and never balances that out with any positives.

How is he a hypocrite? He gives a legit criticism of Ryan but balances that out by praising his abilities.

That's a reasonable viewpoint, as opposed to you, who says things like:

"

he single handedly lost the gb game"

"ryan is a gumby armed computer nerd who trys not to make mistakes"

"ryans glass ceiling already reached at 25"

"Ryan just doesn't have "it" in the playoffs"

"i just dont see ryan leading us to a championship"

"He's a turd gargler"

and never balances that out with any positives.

+1 Fair and Balanced should be the TAFT way...it is possible. Plus, you can trust FFS70.