The Beer Thread

Shotty Ice

We've got a local brew that I suspect you would absolutely love, but I doubt you can get it without visiting this particular city and I'm not about to advertise that information on the interwebs. Suffice it to say, if you find yourself in the Rocky Mountain region then PM me and I'll hook you up.

Edit: JDaveG can back me up on this one. He wants me to drive a keg of this stuff to Atlanta so bad he can't stand it.

Yes, yes indeed. That stuff is nectar of the gods.

It's a porter, but it's the best porter I've ever had.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my dad lives in memphis, so this sounds like a good reason to visit.

Dude, seriously, the Flying Saucer is the awesomenest place ever other than the awesome Rocky Mountain bars with microbrews in my area. Many a good time was had at the Flying Saucer. They have over fifty microbrews on tap from around the world...stuff you can't even find bottled in your best liquor stores in the South. I refer to their selection as the "Great Wall of Goodness"...it's 50 great worldwide beers all on tap. There is literally only one place in Memphis that is better, and they have a cask ale that they tap once a week. If you don't make it to the Flying Saucer then definitely go to Bosco's on Tuesday night. Again, you're talking to a guy who lives in an area with literally three to four dozen microbrews, and that cask ale is among the top 5 beers I've ever had in my entire life. There is some seriously good brew in the Memphis area.

And just to tease JDaveG, I might be driving to the ATL this winter with a few kegs of that Porter Ale in tow instead of flying like I normally do. If that's how things work out then we'll have a small, informal AFMB get together for some serious microbrew sampling. Of course, that would also mean a stop-over at the "other" message board overseer, which might cut into the number of kegs that eventually makes it to the ATL. Not saying, just saying.

And just to tease JDaveG, I might be driving to the ATL this winter with a few kegs of that Porter Ale in tow instead of flying like I normally do. If that's how things work out then we'll have a small, informal AFMB get together for some serious microbrew sampling. Of course, that would also mean a stop-over at the "other" message board overseer, which might cut into the number of kegs that eventually makes it to the ATL. Not saying, just saying.

Just bring an extra keg for me. We won't have room in the fridge for food for about a month, but I can live with that.

I'm not going to go back and see if my posts were deleted, but I have stated multiple times in this thread that Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Porter is BY FAR my favorite beer of all time. I literally buy 4 of them every Thursday as some sort of weird, musguided tradition. Also, Sam Smith's Taddy Porter ain't far behind, in fact it might be a 1-A.

I have not tried the Young's Double Chocolate yet though, I might give that a shot next time.

FWIW, I loved the Sam Adams' Imperial Stout, which was heavy in chocolate and malt and coffee, does the Youngs Double Choc taste anything like that?

vince-young-shirtless.jpg

I'm not going to go back and see if my posts were deleted, but I have stated multiple times in this thread that Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Porter is BY FAR my favorite beer of all time. I literally buy 4 of them every Thursday as some sort of weird, musguided tradition. Also, Sam Smith's Taddy Porter ain't far behind, in fact it might be a 1-A.

I have not tried the Young's Double Chocolate yet though, I might give that a shot next time.

FWIW, I loved the Sam Adams' Imperial Stout, which was heavy in chocolate and malt and coffee, does the Youngs Double Choc taste anything like that?

No need to go back and check. I'm just saying that it seems as though you really like dark stouts and ales. I LOVE Sam Smith's oatmeal stout and I love double (and quadruple) IPAs. It's all a matter of taste. I wasn't knocking your choices, but instead was just clarifying that I understand why you don't like 120 minute IPA but love Oatmeal Stout by Sam Smith. Given your preferences, I'd bet that Young's Double Chocolate would top your list, especially if you ever tried it on draft at a place like the Flying Saucer. If I drive to Atlanta this Christmas then I'll set aside a glass of this amazing local brew Porter Ale for you. I'm guessing that you'll love it. The local place also has an even heavier, darker stout that I'll bet you'll love even more than JDaveG loves the Porter Ale. I'll probably have three to four kegs in the back of my Jeep full of local brews for everyone to try if I end up doing it instead of the airline route.

The local place also has an even heavier, darker stout that I'll bet you'll love even more than JDaveG loves the Porter Ale. I'll probably have three to four kegs in the back of my Jeep full of local brews for everyone to try if I end up doing it instead of the airline route.

I don't know -- I usually love stouts, but that stuff tasted like a chocolate hops milkshake with boiled wheat and bread in it. Too much of a good thing.

The porter was ridiculous, though.

Also, I'm not sure where in the Rocky Mountain region you live in, but I visit friends in Telluride, Colorado every year and when we hit the bars I always wake up the next morning with a complete inability to stop talking about how good the local beers they have on tap are.

Colorado has some SERIOUS ish coming out of there in the beer game.

I'm closer to the Front Range than Telluride, but this entire area is eat up with GREAT microbrews. You've literally got eight states worth of microbrews to experience when you're in the area. PM me next time you visit your friends and we might could arrange something. You're close enough that a beer crawl at Oskar Blues or a Denver run (I know a LOT of great places there) might be in the making.

Turbo Dog is one of the best beers I've ever tasted on tap. And I live in a part of the country that literally has five dozen microbrews in a 100 mile radius, all on tap at local bars. That said, Abita Andygator is a quick path to trouble--high octane pilsner that will eff you up quickly. Careful when that stuff is in season! But get a big plate of raw oysters and a couple of glasses of Andygator...nothing better in this world while sitting on a beach.

we get Andygator in 22oz bottles here as well as on tap. great stuff