Two more from a hidden package store right down the road from where I work that I stumbled across today:

samuel_smiths_oatmeal_stout.jpg

This is without question one of the best things I've ever tasted. Wow. Super smooth and creamy. Sweet but not too sweet and some coffee and chocolate and vanilla undertones to it. May have to start being a regular buy for me.

Shipyard+IPA.jpg

Picked this up from the dry rack so so I've got it in the freezer. Heard good things about it but never tried it.

you can't go wrong with Samuel Smith beers

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if this is a normal thing or not but I've never seen it before. One of the dry racks at this particular package store was filled with single bottles and on the top shelf they had cardboard empty 6-packs and you were allowed to mix and match your own 6 pack. Definitely doing that next time.

if you really want to taste something great, give this a try

old-engine-oil.jpg

and if you really want something exotic (and a tad pricey), give this a try. It is a stronger version of Old Engine Oil that is fermented in casks formerly used to age Highland Park Scotch. It comes in 12 yr, 16 yr, 18 yr, 30 yr, and 40 yr variety

harviestoun_ola_dubh_30_bottle_box.jpg

I don't know if this is a normal thing or not but I've never seen it before. One of the dry racks at this particular package store was filled with single bottles and on the top shelf they had cardboard empty 6-packs and you were allowed to mix and match your own 6 pack. Definitely doing that next time.

You've never seen a make your own 6 pack? It's the greatest thing ever! My special lady-friend and I make them all the time. Great way to try out new beers, and if one of them sucks, you still have 5 different ones to try.

You've never seen a make your own 6 pack? It's the greatest thing ever! My special lady-friend and I make them all the time. Great way to try out new beers, and if one of them sucks, you still have 5 different ones to try.

Nope, I've only recently got into going to the big time package stores that have stuff from all over the world. Apparently it's ridiculously common though, as it's called a 'Mix your own Six.' Noob moment for sure, but trying it out Friday so I'll let y'all know what I got and give a quick review.

Review of the Shipyard IPA:

Meh. It's got a bitter bite of a finish to it and I don't particularly like that. I don't mind a bitter taste but if I'm still tasting bitterness a minute after drinking it then I'm not much of a fan. It's got a very similar finish to the Sam Adams Noble Pils if you've ever had it, but it's not quite as strong. It tastes well enough but it's not distinctive. Definitely a spring/summer lounging on the back porch or the beach kind of beer that's really smooth but just not great in any way. I'd drink it again but only if it was the best thing available.

Edited by Headshot Rising

Nope, I've only recently got into going to the big time package stores that have stuff from all over the world. Apparently it's ridiculously common though, as it's called a 'Mix your own Six.' Noob moment for sure, but trying it out Friday so I'll let y'all know what I got and give a quick review.

Review of the Shipyard IPA:

Meh. It's got a bitter bite of a finish to it and I don't particularly like that. I don't mind a bitter taste but if I'm still tasting bitterness a minute after drinking it then I'm not much of a fan. It's got a very similar finish to the Sam Adams Noble Pils if you've ever had it. It tastes well enough but it's not distinctive. Definitely a spring/summer lounging on the back porch or the beach kind of beer that's really smooth but just not great in any way. I'd drink it again but only if it was the best thing available.

Nicer grocery stores have them too. Some publix's, world market, fresh market, etc . . .

Holy ****, that picture makes me want to drink that out of a stone mug with a b*stard sword strapped to my back.

that is because it is scottish but it is actually a smooth drinking beer. great stuff

now this one will actually make you FEEL like going to town on somebody with a b*stard sword

skull_splitter_ale.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just tried this one last night

beer-201.jpg

this is must for any beer lover. absolutely loved it. It's a collaboration between Sierra Nevada and and the Abbey of New Clairvaux to raise money for a restoration project

http://www.ovila.com/#/home

I haven't found the Saison yet, but am looking forward to it as well as the Quad when it is released

On your suggestion I went and picked up the Ovila. Drinking on the Oatmeal Stout while it chills.

On your suggestion I went and picked up the Ovila. Drinking on the Oatmeal Stout while it chills.

Sam Smith>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I picked up a boxed 3 pack that came with a very nice pint glass this weekend.

the Ovila is really good. damned shame it is a one time thing. I am going to go buy a few of them to have