That would happen to us on tour all the time. They'd give the bands cheap beer & A.) you'd have to drink 10 of them just to feel like you were even drinking beer, B.) then you'd be super hungover the next day. I was constantly having to pay out of my own pocket for a slightly better beer that wouldn't make me feel like crap. So, now we have it in our rider than rather than a case of PBR, Bud, etc. we get 12 "premium" beers... preferably a local brew. I can drink 3 decent beers and have the same effect of twice as many of the lesser beers, and without the massive headache the next day.

I deal w/ beer reps on a daily basis at my job & I had one guy telling me some interesting stuff about PBR. I'm not sure how much of what he was saying was b.s., but he said that because they sell SO much PBR, they can't brew it fast enough. So, they actualy use a beer concentrate & add it to water to make PBR these days.

That sounds very far fetched. I think that was just a story. It does not sound very logical. I could understand making a higher concentrated batch of PBR, then diluting it back to 5%, but going through the extraction process seems crazy in such large volumes. The machinery would cost a small fortune and you would probably end up with 70-80% extraction if lucky.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds very far fetched. I think that was just a story. It does not sound very logical. I could understand making a higher concentrated batch of PBR, then diluting it back to 5%, but going through the extraction process seems crazy in such large volumes. The machinery would cost a small fortune and you would probably end up with 70-80% extraction if lucky.

My thoughts, too. He was trying to sell me on carrying Utica Club (a cheap beer from upstate NY), so he was pulling stuff out of his azz to push it. I explained to him that even if what he was saying was totally true, people in Chapel Hill aren't gonna stop drinking PBR & suddenly switch to Utica Club. We sell more PBR than anything, because it is cheap... and like JDave said earlier, not a fan personally of cheap beer, but Pabst is probably the best of the bunch when it comes to cheap beer available in these parts.

Edited by k-train

Black & Tan is so much better than the Traditional Lager in my opinion, have you tried that one?

I love black & tan! Yum.

Yuengling original is my favorite non-dark beer. I enjoy a good lager. It's easy to drink, but doesn't taste like urine. Goes well with a movie or sporting event.

I admit, I'm fairly new to beer. I have grown a love for it over the past year or so, being only 20 years old. I don't drink to get drunk, I drink for taste, and for pure interest in the art of beer. I'm counting down the months until I'm able to go in a store myself and stare at the different beers to choose from for hours before making a decision. I hate having to get my friends to pick up beer for me.

Edited by CoolUsernameHere

That would happen to us on tour all the time. They'd give the bands cheap beer & A.) you'd have to drink 10 of them just to feel like you were even drinking beer, B.) then you'd be super hungover the next day. I was constantly having to pay out of my own pocket for a slightly better beer that wouldn't make me feel like crap. So, now we have it in our rider than rather than a case of PBR, Bud, etc. we get 12 "premium" beers... preferably a local brew. I can drink 3 decent beers and have the same effect of twice as many of the lesser beers, and without the massive headache the next day.

I deal w/ beer reps on a daily basis at my job & I had one guy telling me some interesting stuff about PBR. I'm not sure how much of what he was saying was b.s., but he said that because they sell SO much PBR, they can't brew it fast enough. So, they actualy use a beer concentrate & add it to water to make PBR these days.

Probably because of hipster douches like this who think it's cool and ironic to drink the cheapest beer at the bar while wearing their $300 skull hoodie and constantly pushing their swoop out of their horn-rimmed glasses, while discussing the finer point of radiohead's newest album.

Hipsters are terrible, terrible people, and are probably the cause of global warming and landslides.

I just got back from a week up in Boston and out on Cape Cod and I drank a bunch of good beers I've never had before:

Watchusetts Country Ale

Mayflower IPA

Lost Sailor

Sam Adams Brick Red (only available in Boston) and Colonial Ale (only available @ Union Oyster House in Boston)

Grey Lady's Cisco Ale

Naggachusetts (sp?) Ale

John Durgin (microbrew @ Durgin Park @ Fanuiel Hall)

and a couple others I can't remember...

The Stone Levitation ale might be one of the worst things I've personally ever tasted. I brought it to a little get together and let a few people who are far more educated about beer than I am try it and everyone had the same twisted expression on their face.

I have nicknamed it The Devil's A** Juice.

Bought this last night and thought it was quite tasty! Lots of hoppy/floral character...nice and crisp with loads of flavor.

The hoppyness got me in my jaw sockets after a while though. B)

365032369_ec98edb063.jpg

You are too fast.. i went to look for a picture of crips and you had already fixed it :P

Hey, its good...I'm a jack daniels man anyways

Just f'n with you, man. Actually, I'm not really into really hoppy beer or super cheap stuff, so sometimes if a place had a weak selection, I gotta roll with a Blue Moon or Red Stripe myself. I gotta say though, Blue Moon was 100 times better about 10-15 years ago, before Coors took them over.

Getting ready to put a 6-pack of each of these in the cooler for a trip to the beach tomorrow

38572.jpg

An awesome 8% Golden Belgian Ale brewed by Triangle Brewing Co. about 5-10 miles down the street in Durham, NC

6518.jpg

A smooth, not too hoppy 6.5% Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Brewery in Colorado

tiger.jpg

A good, solid 5% Lager from Singapore that goes does nice and easy

With all of the various types/styles of beers and ales, with all of the wonderful goodness from malt, hops, and assorted flavorings, and with all of the recipes for beer followed by thousands of brewers around the world, there is one thing that is certain: there is something for everyone to enjoy.

"He was a wise man who invented beer" Plato

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. " Frank Zappa

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

Cheers Everyone!!

Two more from a hidden package store right down the road from where I work that I stumbled across today:

samuel_smiths_oatmeal_stout.jpg

This is without question one of the best things I've ever tasted. Wow. Super smooth and creamy. Sweet but not too sweet and some coffee and chocolate and vanilla undertones to it. May have to start being a regular buy for me.

Shipyard+IPA.jpg

Picked this up from the dry rack so so I've got it in the freezer. Heard good things about it but never tried it.