Dent Projects to Strong Side

By: Jay Adams | June 2nd, 2011

When the Falcons selected Georgia linebacker Akeem Dent in the third round of April’s NFL Draft, there was some question as to where the rookie might spend most of his time. That’s not a bad thing. Dent is a versatile linebacker who can play any of the positions behind the defensive line and in front of the secondary. According to FoxSports.com’s Adam Caplan, Dent projects to be the heir apparent to Mike Peterson

When the Falcons took Georgia linebacker Akeem Dent in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft, my first reaction was, “Wow, that’s a steal.” After thinking about things for a moment, I began to think, “Where in the world will be line up?”

The third round seemed to be too high to take Curtis Lofton’s backup at the middle linebacker position — which was basically what Dent played his senior year at UGA when he was moved inside for the Bulldogs’ switch to the 3-4. With second-year player Sean Weatherspoon on the weak side, there was no chance Dent would be over there either. So, I had a hunch that the Falcons might bring him in as the potential down-the-line replacement of veteran strong side linebacker Mike Peterson.

FoxSports.com’s Adam Caplan reported this week that Dent projects to play on the strong side. With Peterson coming into his 13th season and also being a free agent who may or may not be back with the Falcons for 2011, Dent is in good position to become a stalwart on the strong side pretty early.

The best case scenario, however, might be to have him learn for a while under Peterson — a veteran who has done wonders in taking younger players under his wing, including Weatherspoon last season. If that’s not the case, however, Dent has three years of strong side experience at UGA to lean on if he should go into the season as the starting linebacker on that side.

What do you think?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people got so hung up on him being an ILB in a 3-4 they just couldn't see him as anything but a MLB which of course would not make sense for a 3rd round to back up Lofton. I think while some say his pass coverage could be better the SLB strong suit is shedding blockers and making tacklers which is a shared trait with ILB's in a 3-4.

By no means do I say blindly trust any person but some should give an ounce of consideration as to why those that get paid the big bucks made the decision they did.

Honestly though, I kind of wandered on the Falcons site and saw an actual football topic that some might want to discuss.

In the best of all possible worlds, Dent makes some measurable improvement to his coverage skills and plays well at SLB, while 5-0 stays healthy and works the middle. But I think the Dent pick was about Lofton's knees as much as anything. Curtis missed a boatload of practices last season and had both knees scoped recently. There are legitimate concerns about his long-term durability. I believe that Dent is seen as a possible replacement if things go south, and that a strong effort will be made to retain Nicholas as depth and as a situational player.

When the Falcons selected Georgia linebacker Akeem Dent in the third round of April’s NFL Draft, there was some question as to where the rookie might spend most of his time. That’s not a bad thing. Dent is a versatile linebacker who can play any of the positions behind the defensive line and in front of the secondary. According to FoxSports.com’s Adam Caplan, Dent projects to be the heir apparent to Mike Peterson

When the Falcons took Georgia linebacker Akeem Dent in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft, my first reaction was, “Wow, that’s a steal.” After thinking about things for a moment, I began to think, “Where in the world will be line up?”

The third round seemed to be too high to take Curtis Lofton’s backup at the middle linebacker position — which was basically what Dent played his senior year at UGA when he was moved inside for the Bulldogs’ switch to the 3-4. With second-year player Sean Weatherspoon on the weak side, there was no chance Dent would be over there either. So, I had a hunch that the Falcons might bring him in as the potential down-the-line replacement of veteran strong side linebacker Mike Peterson.

FoxSports.com’s Adam Caplan reported this week that Dent projects to play on the strong side. With Peterson coming into his 13th season and also being a free agent who may or may not be back with the Falcons for 2011, Dent is in good position to become a stalwart on the strong side pretty early.

The best case scenario, however, might be to have him learn for a while under Peterson — a veteran who has done wonders in taking younger players under his wing, including Weatherspoon last season. If that’s not the case, however, Dent has three years of strong side experience at UGA to lean on if he should go into the season as the starting linebacker on that side.

What do you think?

That makes the most sense. B)

When the Falcons selected Georgia linebacker Akeem Dent in the third round of April's NFL Draft, there was some question as to where the rookie might spend most of his time. That's not a bad thing. Dent is a versatile linebacker who can play any of the positions behind the defensive line and in front of the secondary. According to FoxSports.com's Adam Caplan, Dent projects to be the heir apparent to Mike Peterson

When the Falcons took Georgia linebacker Akeem Dent in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft, my first reaction was, "Wow, that's a steal." After thinking about things for a moment, I began to think, "Where in the world will be line up?"

The third round seemed to be too high to take Curtis Lofton's backup at the middle linebacker position — which was basically what Dent played his senior year at UGA when he was moved inside for the Bulldogs' switch to the 3-4. With second-year player Sean Weatherspoon on the weak side, there was no chance Dent would be over there either. So, I had a hunch that the Falcons might bring him in as the potential down-the-line replacement of veteran strong side linebacker Mike Peterson.

FoxSports.com's Adam Caplan reported this week that Dent projects to play on the strong side. With Peterson coming into his 13th season and also being a free agent who may or may not be back with the Falcons for 2011, Dent is in good position to become a stalwart on the strong side pretty early.

The best case scenario, however, might be to have him learn for a while under Peterson — a veteran who has done wonders in taking younger players under his wing, including Weatherspoon last season. If that's not the case, however, Dent has three years of strong side experience at UGA to lean on if he should go into the season as the starting linebacker on that side.

What do you think?

Something I already knew and I'm good with.

I think the purpose was to kill multiple birds with one stone.

He could very well be a good starter at SLB. He has the athleticism and length to become solid in coverage, although I think he's a little too tight in the hips to ever be "great."

He could be a very good starting MLB. He can be a capable backup to all 3 positions, with his size and quick twitch ability.

He's very good on special teams.

It was a very good pick, and really improves our depth at multiple positions and areas.

I think the purpose was to kill multiple birds with one stone.

He could very well be a good starter at SLB. He has the athleticism and length to become solid in coverage, although I think he's a little too tight in the hips to ever be "great."

He could be a very good starting MLB. He can be a capable backup to all 3 positions, with his size and quick twitch ability.

He's very good on special teams.

It was a very good pick, and really improves our depth at multiple positions and areas.

^^^This...

Falcons have two plans for him:

Plan A)Give him a look at SLB as possible starter

Plan B)Takes over for an injured Lofton as thumper in the middle

Either way, its a good pick if Dent plays up to Dimitroff/Smith's expectations.

When the Falcons selected Georgia linebacker Akeem Dent in the third round of April's NFL Draft, there was some question as to where the rookie might spend most of his time.

Oh..........................:huh:

Richard+Dent.jpg

I thought we were bringing back Richard Dent...........:blink:

^^^This...

Falcons have two plans for him:

Plan A)Give him a look at SLB as possible starter

Plan B)Takes over for an injured Lofton as thumper in the middle

Either way, its a good pick if Dent plays up to Dimitroff/Smith's expectations.

MLB ? Not in his first year.

He would get forced into coverage and burned alive !

However I could see this in short yardage situation near the goal line when the opponent is

looking to pick up a fresh set of downs.

LOL@too tight in the hips.

You know I have only heard talking heads and MB guys say that type of things. Never coaches, scouts, players, or anyone else. Its amazing how a little bit of knowledge can be so dangerous.

Pardon me. I actually see coaches and analysts(including former players/coaches) say stuff like that all the time. It's called the NFL Network. Probably just dumbing it down for us fans though, instead of using words like "transitional flexor utilization." Or whatever the **** they call it.

Not to be rude, but you are aware that a player can have trouble transititioning because he's not flexible/balanced in the hip area? I can personally feel it in myself, whenever I try(emphasis on try) to dance.

Pardon me. I actually see coaches and analysts(including former players/coaches) say stuff like that all the time. It's called the NFL Network. Probably just dumbing it down for us fans though, instead of using words like "transitional flexor utilization." Or whatever the **** they call it.

Not to be rude, but you are aware that a player can have trouble transititioning because he's not flexible/balanced in the hip area? I can personally feel it in myself, whenever I try(emphasis on try) to dance.

LOL!!! LOL!!! Oh man! Talking heads say this thing all of the time. Coaches on T.V. say these things sometimes....SOMETIMES...its not common in the field though to say it with the idea that a person is just going to stay that way or that they won't have a career because of it...LOL!!!

Its called, "Being coached up." Coaching is more than just talking man. Its training. In that training you learn how to overcome these obstacles and become a football player.

If you trained in dancing enough, you'll get better in spite of your "issues". Same in MA (I still actively teach). You train and they get better, more fluid. This is not some static genetic trait that never goes away and for those who are fluid, they can become stiff. Outside of T.V. (which seems to have become the end all be all of information...not reading or experience) I never hear this stuff...THUS the talking heads comment.

A little bit of knowledge...yeesh!