Jim Tressel out

Just because I don't choose to tell people on a message board exactly what I know doesn't mean I don't have stone cold facts bout what I'm saying. I know exactly how recruits think and exactly what a student athlete faces. Sac these aren't things I would make up. But if you are anyone else think I'm lying than that's cool.

man you should know me better than that, i would not accuse you of lying , but i don't agree with your premise. you aren't the only one who has been involved with college football and I know plenty of athletes and coaches myself. there are no facts even if you have seen cheating that back up that most college programs have the type of rampant cheating that has went on with ohio state. we just won't agree here man on this subject.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story broke right before the Sugar Bowl and the AP said Ohio State told the NCAA about it. I really don't think they will get worse than SC. They might get something close. But USC got a huge penalty. What the NCAA gonna give them a 4 year ban on bowl play and a reduction of 30 'ships? That's a death penalty and I just don't see it. I would be shocked if they did.

The story broke right before the Sugar Bowl and the AP said Ohio State told the NCAA about it. I really don't think they will get worse than SC. They might get something close. But USC got a huge penalty. What the NCAA gonna give them a 4 year ban on bowl play and a reduction of 30 'ships? That's a death penalty and I just don't see it. I would be shocked if they did.

All OSU told the NCAA about was just those 5 players. What will hurt OSU is that they didn't say anything about what happened prior to last year. IMO I think OSU will get hit harder than USC. You can kind of say USC's was just an isolated incident that involved 2 players over 2 - 3 years. With OSU you now have 20 + players over an 8 year time frame. To me OSU gets hit harder b/c it's about how long it was happening and the amount of players that were involved.

Edited by Cable Guy

True cable. I can see that and how the NCAA will look at it. But they will basically have to give them the death penalty to one of it's premiere schools for it to be worse than SC. And I just don't think they will do it. I could be wrong though.

I would really like to see that National Championship given back to Miami. Then I would like to see "THE" taken from the schools acronym, so it would be OSU instead of tOSU. On top of that, I would like to see sweater vests banned from NCAA sporting events. If they can ban certain tournaments from South Carolina for the Confederate battle flag, why not also go after the Sweater Vest as a remnant of the "past" cheating? I like all of those measures on top of the 30 scholarship reduction. Heck, after those punishments, maybe reduce the penalty to 20 scholarships...

True cable. I can see that and how the NCAA will look at it. But they will basically have to give them the death penalty to one of it's premiere schools for it to be worse than SC. And I just don't think they will do it. I could be wrong though.

From what they have done they do deserve to get a death penalty like sentence, but I don't think that is the way to go. If the NCAA wants to make a statement they need to hurt OSU where it would hurt most. And that is in the pocket book. The NCAA will reduce their scholarships and probably ban them from bowl games too. Now if the NCAA can do this it will hurt OSU more than anything. They should take away all payouts that OSU gets for 2 - 3 years. I'm talking TV contracts, Conference payouts and Bowl payouts. You take that money away and I bet OSU will become very atentative of what is going on with their program.

Edited by Cable Guy

yep smalls did indeed say that and people need to stop with the pay player's stuff when it comes to this situation. this is about a program that was soo dirty that it's compliance officer was involved in setting up deals for players and it's head coach lied to not only the ncaa once, but twice and did it in writing. he knew the rules and he did one of the worst things a coach could do by knowingly playing ineligible players and lying about it. even after everything came out in march tressel lied during his press conference with comments that he didn't send any emails on and yet we find out he sent this info he received to pryor's mentor (a buckeye booster). tressel's history of cheating goes back to youngstown state so this is no surprise to anyone who knows about tressel and his history. tressel is no hero for quitting. he was given the option to quit or be fired so he quit. he didn't have a leg to stand on and he knew it. another si piece should be coming out soon with further information and possible allegations. also this type of rampant cheating does not happen at most schools.

Hey Sac, with all due respect I've felt like players should get some extra cash for a long time; it's got nothing to do with Ohio State.

I don't know how many schools and to what degree players are getting extra perks, but I know it happens. You got all those players and all those appreciative fans, odds are some of them will gravitate to each other. But I think we can agree on one thing--this is where the coach has to decide what kind of program he's going to run and set the tone. We know what Tressel decided.

Hey Sac, with all due respect I've felt like players should get some extra cash for a long time; it's got nothing to do with Ohio State.

I don't know how many schools and to what degree players are getting extra perks, but I know it happens. You got all those players and all those appreciative fans, odds are some of them will gravitate to each other. But I think we can agree on one thing--this is where the coach has to decide what kind of program he's going to run and set the tone. We know what Tressel decided.

i understand your opinion, but imo that has very little to do with this situation. bringing that up takes away from what exactly is going on here. this ohio state situation is much bigger than just that and with pryor driving around in his 7th car now a brand new one tonight he is getting stuff out of want not need and even if you gave him some extra money that isn't going to stop him from getting extra benefits like he has done. this is an entire ohio state program from the compliance officer to the head coach and staff along with now 28 players who believe the rules do not apply to them. they are about to learn it does.

Ok Sac, I won't talk about paying players here but let me just say in self defense that I don't think for one second that paying players would stop the Pryors of the world.

Well FWIW here's where I'm at with car #7. Gotta wonder, have they ever told Terrelle he's gotta stop with the dealer cars? There's a compliance guy signing off and a coach looking the other way so it doesn't appear so. But somehow we're supposed to believe an assistant coach who was being groomed by Tressel is going to suddenly change that culture...and he's going to do it when he's auditining for a permanent job. Well Ohio State sent Tressel packing, but so far it's just window dressing.....

I would really like to see that National Championship given back to Miami. Then I would like to see "THE" taken from the schools acronym, so it would be OSU instead of tOSU. On top of that, I would like to see sweater vests banned from NCAA sporting events. If they can ban certain tournaments from South Carolina for the Confederate battle flag, why not also go after the Sweater Vest as a remnant of the "past" cheating? I like all of those measures on top of the 30 scholarship reduction. Heck, after those punishments, maybe reduce the penalty to 20 scholarships...

It's kind of crazy. Back in 2001 there were "rumors" of Clarett having money and new cars as a freshman. I say "rumors" because they players weren't shy about showing off their "extra benefits". I know people might be more likely to turn their heads when a programs winning, but come on! It's hard to believe that it took this long for OSU downfall to occur. I didn't think it would ever happen. 100% sure there is more to come. Unfortunately, the investigation into Clarett was woefully inadequate. That NC should have been removed years ago, IMO.

It's kind of crazy. Back in 2001 there were "rumors" of Clarett having money and new cars as a freshman. I say "rumors" because they players weren't shy about showing off their "extra benefits". I know people might be more likely to turn their heads when a programs winning, but come on! It's hard to believe that it took this long for OSU downfall to occur. I didn't think it would ever happen. 100% sure there is more to come. Unfortunately, the investigation into Clarett was woefully inadequate. That NC should have been removed years ago, IMO.

The NCAA is worthless. They knew about Ohio State for years. All they do is react to news stories once they hit, and never have I seen them act on other school's complaints to them.

You know Michigan and the others in the conference lit up the emails and letters for years to the NCAA about tOSU. It took a reporter and a fan warning Tressel to break this story open.

Always "Hear Speak and See no evil" with the NCAA (and I might add Conference Officials) until they are slapped into acting by the media and the outrage of the public.

ha ha ha ha, sweater vests :lol:

Ok Sac, I won't talk about paying players here but let me just say in self defense that I don't think for one second that paying players would stop the Pryors of the world.

Well FWIW here's where I'm at with car #7. Gotta wonder, have they ever told Terrelle he's gotta stop with the dealer cars? There's a compliance guy signing off and a coach looking the other way so it doesn't appear so. But somehow we're supposed to believe an assistant coach who was being groomed by Tressel is going to suddenly change that culture...and he's going to do it when he's auditining for a permanent job. Well Ohio State sent Tressel packing, but so far it's just window dressing.....

i wasn't really directing my comment to any one poster on here.. just talking about bringing that up in general terms. i will reply more.. i am reading https://twitter.com/#!/georgedohrmann now.. great stuff.

If you think Ohio State is the only school cheating than you are wrong. I have my facts. It's nothing for boosters to give players $100 handshakes. You think USC was the only school paying for players families houses? First it was SC and now Ohio State. Even Auburn and Miss State were accused of trying to do shady dealings. You really think all the recruits are choosing these schools based on what a coach tells him on his official visit? Lol. Even Marcus Dupree was telling espn about those things. It's right there in front of you.

OSU isn't the only school. That's obvious.

I'm not saying that paying the players will solve the problem, but there are lots of players out there who are justifying their taking of illegal benefits because they see the millions the school rakes in and they feel they are entitled to a taste.

As long as that attitude prevails, then the cheating will continue.