HBO: Game of Thrones

They put him behind the rest of the fleet since the nobles didn't trust a pirate leading the vanguard.

This season has done a **** job at explaining things to the viewer and I haven't really noticed it that much until today when I did a full-season re-watch. I understand that POV chapters in a book can give you a lot more insight into a character's feelings on a certain thing, but just the overall story that has taken place has been poorly executed in a few ways this year. I'm CONSTANTLY having to answer my brother's and friends' questions where I really didn't have to do that in Season 1 unless they just wanted to know the background story of a character or a House.

I have had to answer "Why didn't Stannis just make more shadow copies to go after Cersei and Joffrey and Tywin?" a million times. The show just doesn't explain to you that creating one of those things literally drains Stannis' lifeforce and after 2 of them in the books, he looks 10 years older and grows really weak.

I'm hoping now that they've filmed the biggest battle of the book and spent a whole season setting it up, they can kind of get back on the tracks and go back to giving us great subplots (So many that they missed out on this season it's depressing) and book dialogue and historical exposition.

Even the dialogue at certain points makes me angry. They use certain pieces of dialogue from the book when they shouldn't, and they don't when they should. Especially last episode when Cersei is telling Sansa that she would have a better chance of seducing Stannis' horse than seducing him.

That is a piece of dialogue taken right from the book, except for the little fact that we saw Stannis being seduced 7 episodes ago, so that comment is just completely meaningless. Maybe a minor annoyance, but it's still something that should have been caught beforehand. Someone should have been like "Hey guys, this doesn't really make sense now that we've seen Stannis banging Melisandre on top of Westeros."

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season has done a **** job at explaining things to the viewer and I haven't really noticed it that much until today when I did a full-season re-watch. I understand that POV chapters in a book can give you a lot more insight into a character's feelings on a certain thing, but just the overall story that has taken place has been poorly executed in a few ways this year. I'm CONSTANTLY having to answer my brother's and friends' questions where I really didn't have to do that in Season 1 unless they just wanted to know the background story of a character or a House.

I have had to answer "Why didn't Stannis just make more shadow copies to go after Cersei and Joffrey and Tywin?" a million times. The show just doesn't explain to you that creating one of those things literally drains Stannis' lifeforce and after 2 of them in the books, he looks 10 years older and grows really weak.

I'm hoping now that they've filmed the biggest battle of the book and spent a whole season setting it up, they can kind of get back on the tracks and go back to giving us great subplots (So many that they missed out on this season it's depressing) and book dialogue and historical exposition.

Even the dialogue at certain points makes me angry. They use certain pieces of dialogue from the book when they shouldn't, and they don't when they should. Especially last episode when Cersei is telling Sansa that she would have a better chance of seducing Stannis' horse than seducing him.

That is a piece of dialogue taken right from the book, except for the little fact that we saw Stannis being seduced 7 episodes ago, so that comment is just completely meaningless. Maybe a minor annoyance, but it's still something that should have been caught beforehand. Someone should have been like "Hey guys, this doesn't really make sense now that we've seen Stannis banging Melisandre on top of Westeros."

LOL.

Another question I've had to answer more times than I can remember:

"Why did Sandor flip his **** and how come he went to see Sansa before deserting the Lannisters?"

I have no doubts in my mind that people remember the story Littlefinger told Sansa about how Gregor shoved Sandor's face into burning coals as children and can now safely assume that he has a deep-seeded fear of fire. The problem I have with it, and one that ties into the second part of that question, is that Littlefinger isn't the one that tells Sansa that story in the books. Sandor tells Sansa himself, and it's a defining moment for the Hound's character when you realize Ok, this dude isn't just a mindless killing machine that obeys Joffrey like a dog, he actually has a story and a reason for opening up to someone like Sansa.

I think the biggest reason why Sandor takes such a liking to Sansa, outside of just pure human pity and decency at the way she's treated, is the fact that she still manages to needle Joffrey every chance she gets while maintaining her obedience. I think he admires her for that, especially due to how often it ends in Ser Meryn slapping her teeth down her throat, and she ends up showing him how hypocritical his own obedience and loyalty is. The first time he calls her "Little Bird" it has such an impact because he's so angry at her when he says it. He's disgusted by how disillusioned she is with the reality of their world and how she's always playing the part of the perfect little princess and tells her that she's nothing but a little bird who squawks on command.

I really thought that one of this season's focuses would be on Sandor and Sansa's relationship and that the bedroom scene that took place last Sunday would really resonate with viewers but it kinda fell flat. That scene was about 3 minutes too short and didn't have enough build up.

Edited by Heisenberg

"Why did Sandor flip his **** and how come he went to see Sansa before deserting the Lannisters?"

I have no doubts in my mind that people remember the story Littlefinger told Sansa about how Gregor shoved Sandor's face into burning coals as children. The problem I have with it, and one that ties into the second part of that question, is that Littlefinger isn't the one that tells Sansa that story in the books. Sandor tells Sansa himself, and it's a defining moment for the Hound's character when you realize Ok, this dude isn't just a mindless killing machine that obeys Joffrey like a dog, he actually has a story and a reason for opening up to someone like Sansa.

I think the biggest reason why Sandor takes such a liking to Sansa, outside of just pure human pity and decency at the way she's treated, is the fact that she still manages to needle Joffrey every chance she gets while maintaining her obedience. I think he admires her for that, especially due to how often it ends in Ser Meryn slapping her teeth down her throat, and she ends up showing him how hypocritical his own obedience and loyalty is. The first time he calls her "Little Bird" it has such an impact because he's so angry at her when he says it. He's disgusted by how disillusioned she is with the reality of their world and how she's always playing the part of the perfect little princess and tells her that she's nothing but a little bird who squawks on command.

I really thought that this season would focus on Sandor and Sansa's relationship and that the bedroom scene that took place last Sunday would really resonate with viewers but it kinda fell flat. That scene was about 3 minutes too short and didn't have enough build up.

I'm sure people have told you this before, but you should review books/movies (for money I mean). You have an impressive memory for small details and you routinely offer solid insight.

I have no doubts in my mind that people remember the story Littlefinger told Sansa about how Gregor shoved Sandor's face into burning coals as children and can now safely assume that he has a deep-seeded fear of fire. The problem I have with it, and one that ties into the second part of that question, is that Littlefinger isn't the one that tells Sansa that story in the books. Sandor tells Sansa himself, and it's a defining moment for the Hound's character when you realize Ok, this dude isn't just a mindless killing machine that obeys Joffrey like a dog, he actually has a story and a reason for opening up to someone like Sansa.

I really thought that this season would focus on Sandor and Sansa's relationship and that the bedroom scene that took place last Sunday would really resonate with viewers but it kinda fell flat. That scene was about 3 minutes too short and didn't have enough build up.

I've heard that the lines about liars that Littlefinger says to Sansa in the finale preview were lines spoken by The Hound in the book.

I've heard that the lines about liars that Littlefinger says to Sansa in the finale preview were lines spoken by The Hound in the book.

Can't remember that one off the top of my head but it wouldn't surprise me. They've already given WAY too many scenes to Littlefinger not just this season but last season as well.

Part of the reason why I end up liking him so much in the books is that he kind of comes out of nowhere once he really hits the scene. Yeah he always has a presence and always has motives, but you don't find out what they are until later after you've forgotten that he even exists.

I try REALLY hard not to be "The book guy" who has a gripe and complaint about every little thing that is different from the books, and I usually am pretty good about separating the two mediums. The only time I get pissed off about it is when things are changed that don't need to be changed and when things are added that don't need to be added, and when I say that I'm ignoring things like budget restraints.

Example:

I wasn't mad that the giant chain Tyrion had commissioned throughout the entirety of book 2 was omitted in the show. CGI cost and filming logistics have to be taken into account, I get that. It also doesn't hurt that the wildfire explosion was the most badass thing I've ever seen on TV. Plenty effective for the story.

However, I was completely pissed off by Arya's Harrenhal story arc. Ignoring the fact that she gives Jaqen different names in the book because it ultimately leads to the same result, she is treated horribly during her stay there. Without spoiling the story for people who haven't read the books but do eventually plan to, her escape from Harrenhal is A LOT more satisfying and A LOT bloodier. In the show she was basically the star football player who got a free pass through college and you don't even really feel that sorry for her because she's got it ******* made. Other people are being tortured in an attempt to find out the identity of the mysterious "Brotherhood" while she's just chillaxin' and getting piggy-back rides from Tywin Lannister while he laughs at her intellect. None of this NEEDED to be changed, it just was, regardless of rhyme or reason. Yes, Dance and Williams had fantastic chemistry and delivered great scenes in spite of the events that take place in the books, but those scenes took SO MUCH away from Arya's character development. Especially her sputtering fart of an escape from Harrenhal.

On the other hand, though- Daenerys' story in the show is a monumental improvement over her story in the books. The entire time I was reading the books I kept asking myself "Why the **** is nobody trying to steal this *****'s dragons?" She's a guest in your city that you begrudgingly let enter in the first place and nobody is going to mess with her because she's got 3 infantile creatures that you could easily just punt? and HBO Pyat Pree >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Book Pyat Pree.

Can't remember that one off the top of my head but it wouldn't surprise me. They've already given WAY too many scenes to Littlefinger not just this season but last season as well.

Sandor Clegane snorted. “Pretty thing, and such a bad liar. A dog can smell a lie, you know. Look around you, and take a good whiff. They’re all liars here… and every one better than you.”

A Clash of Kings, George R. R. Martin

"Look around you... we're all liars here and everyone of us better than you."

Littlefinger in Valar Morghulis

also doesn't hurt that the wildfire explosion was the most badass thing I've ever seen on TV.

breaking-bad-explosion.gif

Sandor Clegane snorted. “Pretty thing, and such a bad liar. A dog can smell a lie, you know. Look around you, and take a good whiff. They’re all liars here… and every one better than you.”

A Clash of Kings, George R. R. Martin

"Look around you... we're all liars here and everyone of us better than you."

Littlefinger in Valar Morghulis

...sigh

Just don't understand it. That's SO much more meaningful coming from Sandor. That's one of those meaningless changes that I'm talking about. There's NO logical reason to do that, yet it's done anyways.

It's the same complaint I had earlier this season when they seemingly completely flipped around a conversation that Robb and Catelyn had. They gave Catelyn Robb's lines from the book, and gave Robb Catelyn's lines. I don't understand what the ******* point is. It does nothing but create confusion.

Another thing we were talking about with the 3rd season casting news.. Roose Bolton has referenced his bast-rd, Ramsay, at least twice this season and I had been assuming we would see that bast-rd in the finale but I don't see the part listed on IMDB Valar Morghulis and I don't recall hearing that the part was cast when I was reading stuff before this season started.

Another thing we were talking about with the 3rd season casting news.. Roose Bolton has referenced his bast-rd, Ramsay, at least twice this season and I had been assuming we would see that bast-rd in the finale but I don't see the part listed on IMDB Valar Morghulis and I don't recall hearing that the part was cast when I was reading stuff before this season started.

Have you been spoiled at all about Ramsay Snow?

Yeah that's why I have pretty much lost faith in them portraying that whole ordeal accurately. The ingenious way that he arrives at that spoiler should have been shown throughout this whole season and they haven't even touched on it.

They can always show Ramsay doing what he eventually does in season 3 I guess, but without the build-up and completely HOLY **** WTF JUST HAPPENED?? moment that accompanies it I feel like it's going to lose a lot of its punch. I'm interested to see what happens this Sunday, then I'll be able to adjust my expectation accordingly.

Yeah that's why I have pretty much lost faith in them portraying that whole ordeal accurately. The ingenious way that he arrives at that spoiler should have been shown throughout this whole season and they haven't even touched on it.

They can always show Ramsay doing what he eventually does in season 3 I guess, but without the build-up and completely HOLY **** WTF JUST HAPPENED?? moment that accompanies it I feel like it's going to lose a lot of its punch. I'm interested to see what happens this Sunday, then I'll be able to adjust my expectation accordingly.

I mainly assumed we were going to see Ramsay in the finale because the show has set Theon up as such a tragic figure that I've always thought he was meant to die in the finale and that Ramsay would be the one to do it. Guess I'll just wait and see.

Heisenberg you're making me happy I haven't read the books. If I had, I know I'd be just as irritated as you are. I suppose ignorance is bliss in this case.

Believe me, if I had the will power I would have never started reading the books. I watched Season 1 and was so engrossed that I decided to start reading the books, even already knowing what was going to happen in the first one.

Then I just couldn't stop. I finished all 5 books in about 2 months.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't read them either. I blame Martin. If his books weren't so ******* great I would have never bothered finishing them and just kept on watching the show.