HBO: Game of Thrones

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most ******** thing I've heard today.

I've seen it too, although I think it's very much a minority opinion -- the small sample size here seems more reflective of most people thinking, "Holy cow that is epic!" Some people are going to be angry, but if you're only watching a TV program specifically because of one character/actor, then in my mind that program is a failure. Trust me though, like Headshot said, the story really starts moving only with Ned's death. Everything else has been set-up. And I don't know what people are talking about with battles...it's been a long time since I've read the series, but I don't recall there being any battles worth speaking of in the first book, except minor flashback scenes; warfare doesn't escalate until post-Ned's death as far as I recall so look for next season to be much bloodier.

The "decoy battle" is the one everyone is complaining about where Robb sends 2,000 men to be slaughtered while him and the 18,000 other men attack Jamie's forces. The battle with Tywin and 2,000 of Stark's bannermen was featured in the book from Tyrion's point of view, and he didn't get knocked out. Apparently he actually kicked a little bit of *** in the battle. The battle in which Jaime is actually captured happened just the way it happened last night, from Cat's point of view while she sat on a horse listening to the battle going on behind the tree line before Robb and his men return with Jaime.

People have also complained about The Hand's Tournament and the Dothraki raid on the "goat peoples" village seeming microscopic to the scope of those events that actually take place in the book. That and the fact that the wolves are a major presence in the book, and I've almost forgotten that they exist on the show.

That doesn't bother me much yet though, but it will next season when the whole country goes to war if they're still figuring out ways to get around filming it. Eventually they're gonna have to suck it up and realize it's going to cost a **** load of money to film this series.

SMH at the ridiculous amounts of backlash towards Ned's death, particularly over on the IMDb boards. Apparently there are a ton of people who only watched this show because of the fact that Sean Bean was in it.

Now I had a feeling Ned's death was coming, because while I was reading around on the internet about the show I came across something that said Sean Bean was only contracted through 9 episodes. When I first read it I just thought to myself "Oh well there just must be an episode that he's not featured in." As the weeks went on and on and he was a major part of every episode I thought it had to be a typo so I went to the IMDb boards and asked why he was only on contract for 9 episodes and the first response was in SPOILER tags so I immediately hit the back button and never returned to the thread, but I pretty much figured it was going to happen.

I just started reading the first book and haven't even caught up to the series yet and I'm almost halfway through, but it seems like a lot of the people that aren't interested in reading the books think it's the worst thing in the world and are threatening to cancel their HBO subscriptions. Nobody realizes that the execution of Ned Stark is a catalyst for the ENTIRE ******* storyline. A Game Of Thrones is an introductory novel and season 1 of the show is the same way obviously. It's an introduction to the characters and the world they inhabit. Stark's death is what turns all the gears and throws the entire continent of Westeros into war.

ABout 75% of people that post on imbd need to be neutered and never allowed to reproduce. We think we have ******* here, but falconsken would be an Albert Einstein over there.

I agree that HBO needs to pony up on the budget and have the battle scenes. I hope they don't get in over their heads and just cancel it like Rome and Deadwood.

Yeah, so I'm scared sh#tless to read any other GoT boards for fear of spoilers, but I have a question that maybe somebody who read the books could help with: Does the Kingslayer know that Joffrey and the other 2 towheaded kids are his? If telling me this is a spoiler and I should just be patient, then I'm cool with that.

SMH at the ridiculous amounts of backlash towards Ned's death, particularly over on the IMDb boards. Apparently there are a ton of people who only watched this show because of the fact that Sean Bean was in it.

Now I had a feeling Ned's death was coming, because while I was reading around on the internet about the show I came across something that said Sean Bean was only contracted through 9 episodes. When I first read it I just thought to myself "Oh well there just must be an episode that he's not featured in." As the weeks went on and on and he was a major part of every episode I thought it had to be a typo so I went to the IMDb boards and asked why he was only on contract for 9 episodes and the first response was in SPOILER tags so I immediately hit the back button and never returned to the thread, but I pretty much figured it was going to happen.

I just started reading the first book and haven't even caught up to the series yet and I'm almost halfway through, but it seems like a lot of the people that aren't interested in reading the books think it's the worst thing in the world and are threatening to cancel their HBO subscriptions. Nobody realizes that the execution of Ned Stark is a catalyst for the ENTIRE ******* storyline. A Game Of Thrones is an introductory novel and season 1 of the show is the same way obviously. It's an introduction to the characters and the world they inhabit. Stark's death is what turns all the gears and throws the entire continent of Westeros into war.

I think everyone's mistake was assuming that there are 'main' characters in this series. I mean, there are - but in essence Cersi Lanister is just as much of a main character as Ned Stark. And some that might seem like main characters truly aren't. The story in the book follows the POVs of several different characters (as I'm sure you know, but others that haven't touched the books haven't), not all of them are characters we might consider 'good', or 'bad'. And the book makes a point of not following other characters - you don't get to see this distinction in the TV show, so some of the later spoilers might truly be surprising. Not everyone is as they appear to be.

Furthermore, this isn't LOTR. This isn't a battle between the ultimate good and ultimate evil. A good part of the series creates the reality that whatever happens in Westeros means very little for the people outside of it - no one is saving the world here. Looking for righteous victory in A Song of Ice and Fire will leave you searching. The story seems less about who gets what in the end and more about how they get there. Lives end, and new lives begin in this game of thrones.

I agree that HBO needs to pony up on the budget and have the battle scenes. I hope they don't get in over their heads and just cancel it like Rome and Deadwood.

Like others have said, I am going along with the thinking that HBO didn't want to invest a lot of money into a first season of a show in case it didn't do well. I hope this is true and now that it had a successful first season, HBO will ante up and put some big battle scenes in the rest of the seasons.

Yeah, so I'm scared sh#tless to read any other GoT boards for fear of spoilers, but I have a question that maybe somebody who read the books could help with: Does the Kingslayer know that Joffrey and the other 2 towheaded kids are his? If telling me this is a spoiler and I should just be patient, then I'm cool with that.

The answer is under the tag, but I don't think it's that much a spoiler to be honest.

Yes.

Who is the more fraudulent king? Joffrey or LeBron

Lebron. That would also be the same answer for the following questions:

1. Which king has the bigger weiner?

2. Which king will lose his virginity first?

3. Which king has had his salad tossed by Chris Bosh?

4. Which king has had his salad tossed with ranch dressing by Chris Bosh?

You get the drift . . .

If I did start reading the books should I just skip Game of Thrones and start at Clash of the Kings because I dont know how excited I can get reading 700 odd pages if it is mostly the same as the tv series so far with a little more detail...

I thought about doing the same thing but I think the extra details are worth it. There's even more character development in the book, and the fight scenes are longer and more descriptive.

The problem, which I don't really consider it to be, is that there's no way for you to visualize how anyone looks for yourself. I envision all of the characters how they were shown to me in the series.

The book does things better than the show, like making the wolves a major part of the story, and the show does some things better than the book, particularly with the aging of a lot of the characters. At Martin's request, the show aged all the children considerably because he has admitted that he made a mistake in writing some of the characters so young. In the books, Danaerys is only 13 when she marries Drogo, Jon Snow is 14, Robb Stark is 17, Joffrey is only 12, Sansa is 11 and Arya is 9.

Edited by Headshot Rising

I thought about doing the same thing but I think the extra details are worth it. There's even more character development in the book, and the fight scenes are longer and more descriptive.

The problem, which I don't really consider it to be, is that there's no way for you to visualize how anyone looks for yourself. I envision all of the characters how they were shown to me in the series.

The book does things better than the show, like making the wolves a major part of the story, and the show does some things better than the book, particularly with the aging of a lot of the characters. At Martin's request, the show aged all the children considerably because he has admitted that he made a mistake in writing some of the characters so young. In the books, Danaerys is only 13 when she marries Drogo, Jon Snow is 14, Robb Stark is 17, Joffrey is only 12, Sansa is 11 and Arya is 9.

So in the book Dany is a pre-teen getting bent over and taken to pound town by Drogo in the book? :o

So in the book Dany is a pre-teen getting bent over and taken to pound town by Drogo in the book? :o

This show is disturbing... I think when that (like 10 year old) kid is breastfeeding off his mom... halfway through that scene I remembered they were actors and it made it worse..

I plan on starting the book series in about a month or so. Just by habit I'm gonna have to start with a Game of Thrones. I'd hate for any of the other books to reference something that the show didn't cover in the first season and being stuck out of the loop.

Bluntly put, yes :lol:. But you have to understand the setting of the book is basically England circa the Wars of the Roses, e.g. Late Middle Age when girls were married -- often forcibly -- at an increasingly younger age. They were seen as little more than brood mares and to a Medieval father a girl's value was highest as soon as they were capable of bearing children. It's harsh but it was the reality. Viserys never saw Dany as anything but a dowry to be paid to get Drogo to do what he wanted.

One of the biggest criticisms of the book is it's graphic sexuality, Martin pulls no punches.

Also, I think the revelation at the end of the Killing is another Red Herring. Richmond was obviously involved, but I don't know if he was the actual killer. My odds are it's someone in his camp and he helped cover it up. Maybe his lady friend, she might have gotten jealous of his extra-curricular affairs. Or maybe it was him, and they'll devote the entire hour to trying to pin the evidence on him with a big confession in the last minute. I dunno.

Have they mentioned how Richmond's wife died? Maybe she drowned, hence his obsession with it.

Might bet is Gwen did the deed.

Have they mentioned how Richmond's wife died? Maybe she drowned, hence his obsession with it.

Might bet is Gwen did the deed.

I'm thinking her, and I'm also thinking her father was involved. I read a good theory that Richmond was involved with Terry, Gwen and/or her dad put a contract on Terry, and Rosie was wearing Terry's clothes the night she was murdered and was mistaken for Terry.

I also think Drexler is involved somehow, he has been given way too much air time and said way too many creepy things not to have some involvement. I think he's involved with Richmond meeting Terry and/or Rosie.

The wildcard is Jaime. He was looking at the girls in the pool pretty longingly last episode.