HBO: Game of Thrones

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished book 2 last week and man, the whole Theon story was so much better. Loved the reveal at the end too. I knew who he was the whole time, but I like the way GRRM did it in the book. I think in the show too, they don't stress enough how other characters think the 2 boys are dead.

I'm about a quarter of the way through the 3rd book now. Just about every chapter has been really good.

I finished book 2 last week and man, the whole Theon story was so much better. Loved the reveal at the end too. I knew who he was the whole time, but I like the way GRRM did it in the book. I think in the show too, they don't stress enough how other characters think the 2 boys are dead.

I'm about a quarter of the way through the 3rd book now. Just about every chapter has been really good.

ASOS is insane. I've never read any other book like it.

I like how Jaime and Arya's paths crossed, sorta. smile.png

To me one of the major themes of ASOS is missed opportunities, especially with the Stark children. GRRM brilliantly sets up situations to give the readers hope that the Starks will be reunited, even briefly, but every time something happens to dash the readers hopes like the head of a Targaryen child at the hands of the Mountain. It's not just with the Starks, the other characters are set up in situations where the reader hopes for a certain outcome, but GRRM yanks the rug from beneath their feet every time.

About 300 pages into AFFC, some observations:

I don't know how I feel about Cersei being a POV character. Her chapters are good, but after Joffrey and Tywin's death she is such a bitter, miserable, paranoid ****, it can be a little hard to read.

I'm starting to see what you guys have discussed before about how AFFC shows how the rest of Westeros was affected by the war of the 5 kings. I'm assuming Brienne's (hopeless) journey will serve as a plot point later in the book, but I'm not seeing it right now. I liked that she found Pod though. I think on rare occassion GRRM is a little too cute with the writing, like when Brienne wonders a couple of times whether Sansa is in the Eeryie, then immediately gives up on that thought when learning of Lysa's death.

The Dornish storylines are interesting. Almost too many new characters to digest, but interesting nonetheless.

Can't say the same about the Ironborn. I'm just really not interested in them at all, though Euron sounds like a badass.

Can't ******* wait for some Lady Stoneheart.

On my re-read on Feast and Dance.

Found an interesting quote that further demonstrates that Cersei has no clue what the **** she is talking about when she sees her self as a "Tywin Lannister with teets"

"Robert should have scoured the isles after Balon Greyjoy rose against him...He smashed their fleet, burned their towns and broke their castles, but when he had them on their knees, he let them up again. He should have made another island of their skulls". That was what her father would have done, but Robert never had the stomach that a king requires if he hopes to keep peace in the realm -- Cersei

p. 676 AFFC

Which reminded me of.....

“Joffrey, when your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire. When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise no man will ever bend the knee to you. And any man who must say ‘I am the king’ is no true king at all.

Tyrion (VI)—Tywin Lannister

Oh Cersei you poor deluded revisionist b*tch. rolleyes.gif

And later on in that same chapter there is this little gem.....

Cersei talking about giving Robert the" ol' fashion".

"Ten thousand of your children perished in my palm, Your Grace. Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all pale sticky princes. You claimed your rights, my lord, but in the darkness I would eat your heirs."

wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2530.gif

and that's not even the most disturbing line on that page.....

"She sounds as if she is being gored, the queen thought. For a moment she let herself imagine that her fingers were a boar's tusks, ripping the Myrish woman from groin to throat."

“It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert’s heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son.” He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. “I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done, after the Trident.”

And later on in that same chapter there is this little gem.....

Cersei talking about giving Robert the" ol' fashion".

"Ten thousand of your children perished in my palm, Your Grace. Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all pale sticky princes. You claimed your rights, my lord, but in the darkness I would eat your heirs."

wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2530.gif

and that's not even the most disturbing line on that page.....

"She sounds as if she is being gored, the queen thought. For a moment she let herself imagine that her fingers were a boar's tusks, ripping the Myrish woman from groin to throat."

Yeah, Cersei goes batshit crazy in Feast. She also makes what I consider to be the biggest mistake in the series to this point by restoring the Faith Militant.

Edited by Judge Holden

Yeah, Cersei goes batshit crazy in Feast. She also makes what I consider to be the biggest mistake in the series to this point by restoring the Faith Militant.

agree that was the biggest mistake so far. I liked cersei's chapters because I always kinda suspected she was off, and they do a great job showing how insane she really is.