Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

I just got to a point in ACoK I had been meaning to ask about back when season 2 was airing. The character of Quaithe

the shadowbinder
was introduced on pg 320 ACoK when Dany enters Qarth. I'm not even sure if they named her on the show.. to me she was just the weirdo lady in the mask who knew too much about Jorah.

I never understood the purpose of her character on the show.. the only scenes of hers I remember were at the garden party and then later when she was painting some naked dude and tells Jorah who has the dragons.

I guess if shadowbinder is in her name, she must practice some of the same stuff as Melisandre.
But to me this past season, the Qarth lady in the mask was the biggest "WTF is this ****?!?" of the season. I guess she must come back into play in later books, otherwise I don't understand.

sRhoa.png

*** Again sorry for the brief diversion, but since all my college football bros read this thread anyway and I already touched on this here the other day in my conversation with Shot...***

I formally quit college forum yesterday in epic fashion. I would send you a link to the thread, but of course you know who eventually came along and deleted it.

I basically told them that everybody who knew anything had already left the forum and all that remained was the delusional Mark Richt Fan Club.

I'm not even going back to lurk anymore, much less post. Let the Richt homers have the place to themselves, I say.

So when will I return to college forum?

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry, when the mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When Mark Richt wins a national championship. Then I will return, and not before.

mdrake34 likes this

*** Again sorry for the brief diversion, but since all my college football bros read this thread anyway and I already touched on this here the other day in my conversation with Shot...***

I formally quit college forum yesterday in epic fashion. I would send you a link to the thread, but of course you know who eventually came along and deleted it.

I basically told them that everybody who knew anything had already left the forum and all that remained was the delusional Mark Richt Fan Club.

I'm not even going back to lurk anymore, much less post. Let the Richt homers have the place to themselves, I say.

So when will I return to college forum?

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry, when the mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When Mark Richt wins a national championship. Then I will return, and not before.

It's pretty awful. I called one guy out on a spiteful, totally conjecture-based comment on players at all other schools besides Georgia (literally, apparently) getting away with murder while poor old UGA plays get arrested for farting and burping at the same time. I asked if he had proof of particular instances in which Tuscaloosa police let players get away with illegal activities. He basically E-Come-At-Me-Bro'd and said I was trolling him, and he would troll me and other anti-UGA posters 10x's harder.

It's pretty awful. I called one guy out on a spiteful, totally conjecture-based comment on players at all other schools besides Georgia (literally, apparently) getting away with murder while poor old UGA plays get arrested for farting and burping at the same time. I asked if he had proof of particular instances in which Tuscaloosa police let players get away with illegal activities. He basically E-Come-At-Me-Bro'd and said I was trolling him, and he would troll me and other anti-UGA posters 10x's harder.

I saw that. They always think that everybody else is cheating. Always. Over there, the UGA fans take pride in hoisting the crystal High Horse trophy every year.

UGA has 68 scholarship players right now. You are allowed 85. That means we are voluntarily operating at a 20% discount. USC isn't in as bad a shape as we are. We might as well have given Knowshon the Reggie Bush treatment and bought his folks a house.

"The high road is very pretty, but you'll have a hard time marching your army down it."

625604-roose_bolton_01_large.jpg

I saw that. They always think that everybody else is cheating. Always. Over there, the UGA fans take pride in hoisting the crystal High Horse trophy every year.

UGA has 68 scholarship players right now. You are allowed 85. That means we are voluntarily operating at a 20% discount. USC isn't in as bad a shape as we are. We might as well have given Knowshon the Reggie Bush treatment and bought his folks a house.

"The high road is very pretty, but you'll have a hard time marching your army down it."

I'm just glad Alabama won the national championship, so they have basically left Auburn alone and have gone back to Bama-bashing 24/7. Crimson Kat is a good dude, he puts up with their shenanigans remarkably well.

Also BO, this for you as a Jacksonville gentleman:

Billy Ocean likes this

Not sure when exactly Vargo Hoat shows up in that book, but it should be relatively soon if you're half-way through.

Have you gotten to Blackwater yet?

He could be any number of people.

The sellsword Vargo Hoat

Beric Dondarrion (They're recasting)

Edmure Tully

Vargo Hoat was introduced just one or two chapters after we talked about this.

And I think Mackenzie Crook will play Vargo.. mainly because Vargo is described as a tall, stick-thin man with a slobbering lisp, so it sounds like a character with comedic elements. I don't know if they'll keep the lisp for the show.. that might be a bit too much.

Also saw this about season 3 casting.. this was one of those things that got spoiled for me last year anyway...

**UPDATE** #113 (07/07):

Carne, a user at Winter-is-Coming had contact from Ian McElhinney's agent saying that McElhinney will be back in Season 3 of Game of Thrones. So it looks like we may be getting Arstan Whitebeard afterall! If not at least Barristan the Bold will be back!

Vargo Hoat was introduced just one or two chapters after we talked about this.

And I think Mackenzie Crook will play Vargo.. mainly because Vargo is described as a tall, stick-thin man with a slobbering lisp, so it sounds like a character with comedic elements. I don't know if they'll keep the lisp for the show.. that might be a bit too much.

Also saw this about season 3 casting.. this was one of those things that got spoiled for me last year anyway...

**UPDATE** #113 (07/07):

Carne, a user at Winter-is-Coming had contact from Ian McElhinney's agent saying that McElhinney will be back in Season 3 of Game of Thrones. So it looks like we may be getting Arstan Whitebeard afterall! If not at least Barristan the Bold will be back!

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

Doesn't Barristan the Bold show up helping the Queen of Dragons in the third book? Or is that the fourth book? I"m on A Dance with Dragons, so they're starting to all run together.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

Doesn't Barristan the Bold show up helping the Queen of Dragons in the third book? Or is that the fourth book? I"m on A Dance with Dragons, so they're starting to all run together.

Not sure when he reappears because I'm only half way through ACoK, myself. His reappearance was just one of a handful of things that got spoiled for me last year when the show first came out.. before I really knew how to avoid GoT spoilers.

It seems that in the books, he is re-introduced, but you don't know it's actually Barristan until he's been around a while. I guess he's in disguise, or maybe just nobody in Essos knows what he looks like. Which might be the sorta thing that doesn't translate too well to TV. Somebody else could tell it better than me, cause like I said, I haven't even read that far yet.

Also I would imagine he shows back up in ASoS.. is Dany even a POV in AFfC?

Yeah, Greatjon Umber. I've missed that dude. He was a lot of fun.

tumblr_lxstwkRhF81qcigjto1_500.gif

Rumor #3:

This is more un-casting news and a bit sad. It appears that Clive Mantel who played the bombastic Greatjon Umber in Season 1 (and who many hoped would appear in Season 3 after his absence in Season 2) will not be appearing in Season 3 according to his agent.

"Sadly, when filming series 2 came about, Clive was pre booked to appear in another television series and was not free for the shooting dates for Game of Thrones as the dates clashed.

He has not been asked back for series three sadly."

:(

That really sucks. All of Robb's main advisors should have been regulars from the beginning. Greatjon Umber, Roose Bolton, and Rickard Karstark.

Yeah, Robb's lack of a visible war council in the second season was what we were talking about last month in that previous Greatjon post I quoted.

The Karstark's are a good bit more prominent in the books.. on the show, after Jaime killed Lord Karstark's son (the guy guarding him when he offed his cousin) and Lord Karstark was demanding blood, I was like "Who is this guy and why is he so important?"

According to this, it seems Rickard Karstark was portrayed by a featured extra in season 1, then they recast for the second season..

http://gameofthrones...ickard_Karstark

8-Rickard-Karstark-Game-of-Thrones-season-2.jpg

http://www.independe...es-3162227.html

Liam Cunningham signs up for next six series of ‘Game of Thrones’

0907-liam-cunningh_1074371a.jpg

Actor Liam Cunningham is set to remain on the hit HBO series, ‘Game of Thrones’, according to sources.

The show, which is partly filmed in Belfast also stars Irish actors Aidan Gillen as brothel-keeper Lord Baelish and Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon.

Liam, 51, is playing Davos Seaworth, a former smuggler. The actor had previously auditioned for roles in the first series but was unable to take up any because of clashing work schedules.

According to ‘The Irish Daily Mirror’, the actor is thrilled with the news. A source said: “Liam’s delighted, he’s a great actor. It’s a great show so he’s happy to be part of it.”

Read more: http://www.independe...l#ixzz20GYgi7MD

Jimsmusic™ likes this

This one's more than a little convoluted but I guess it makes some sense..

**UPDATE** #15 (07/10):

Rumor #:

According to a very unusual source for casting, /TV (chan site), Dame Diana Rigg has been cast in Thrones. The source is dubious, but supposedly a friend of a relative of the source works on the Thrones set and said Rigg was cast.

Diana-Rigg_415.jpg

Rumor#2:

This could possibly relate to rumor #1..... An anonymous IMDB (message has since been deleted by IMDB) posted that their friend (an actor on Thrones) told them a a "big name" was cast in Season 3. They described the cast actor as "old school big" and a "bit of a legend". Their friend told the poster that "You could hear a pin drop when [this person] talked," but they would not give a name. Dianna Rigg certainly could fit this rumor as well.

The assumption is Rigg would play the Queen of Thorns. Here is a recent photo of Rigg and a side-by-side of Rigg with her would-be granddaughter Nathalie Dormer. They certainly look like they could be related!

http://www.independe...es-3162227.html

Liam Cunningham signs up for next six series of ‘Game of Thrones’

0907-liam-cunningh_1074371a.jpg

Actor Liam Cunningham is set to remain on the hit HBO series, ‘Game of Thrones’, according to sources.

The show, which is partly filmed in Belfast also stars Irish actors Aidan Gillen as brothel-keeper Lord Baelish and Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon.

Liam, 51, is playing Davos Seaworth, a former smuggler. The actor had previously auditioned for roles in the first series but was unable to take up any because of clashing work schedules.

According to ‘The Irish Daily Mirror’, the actor is thrilled with the news. A source said: “Liam’s delighted, he’s a great actor. It’s a great show so he’s happy to be part of it.”

Read more: http://www.independe...l#ixzz20GYgi7MD

F*CK YES

Season Three of ‘Game of Thrones’ Begins Filming In Northern Ireland

This one's more than a little convoluted but I guess it makes some sense..

**UPDATE** #15 (07/10):

Rumor #:

According to a very unusual source for casting, /TV (chan site), Dame Diana Rigg has been cast in Thrones. The source is dubious, but supposedly a friend of a relative of the source works on the Thrones set and said Rigg was cast.

Rumor#2:

This could possibly relate to rumor #1..... An anonymous IMDB (message has since been deleted by IMDB) posted that their friend (an actor on Thrones) told them a a "big name" was cast in Season 3. They described the cast actor as "old school big" and a "bit of a legend". Their friend told the poster that "You could hear a pin drop when [this person] talked," but they would not give a name. Dianna Rigg certainly could fit this rumor as well.

The assumption is Rigg would play the Queen of Thorns. Here is a recent photo of Rigg and a side-by-side of Rigg with her would-be granddaughter Nathalie Dormer. They certainly look like they could be related!

^^Confirmed..

Dame Diana Rigg Joins Season 3 Of HBO's 'Game Of Thrones'

Season 3 cast additions announced. HBO has just announced a number of additions to the Game of Thrones cast for season 3.

Diana Rigg joins the cast as Lady Olenna Tyrell, the grandmother of Loras and Margaery, and often called the "Queen of Thorns." Rigg is best known as a 1960s sex symbol, playing Emma Peel in The Avengers TV series and a Bond girl in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. She has since maintained a long and distinguished career in film and television.

Mackenzie Crook joins the cast as Orell, one of Mance Rayder's wildlings who is also a skinchanger. The British actor/comedian is best known as Gareth Keenan in Ricky Gervais' The Office, but he's also had memorable roles in the Pirates of the Caribbean films, as well as TV's Merlin and Skins.

Clive Russell joins the cast as Ser Brynden Tully, Catelyn's uncle and Robb's most stalwart general. Better known as the Blackfish, Brynden will make his first appearance in season 3, even though his character was originally introduced in the first book. The British actor is credited with numerous films and TV shows, most recently appearing as Captain Tanner in the Sherlock Holmes movies and as MacQueen in The Wolfman.

Nathalie Emmanuel joins the cast as Missandei, a servant of Dany who helps Daenerys negotiate in Slaver's Bay (Dany is in desperate need of some new handmaidens). The British actress has had roles in Hollyoaks and Misfits, and has also appeared in the West End.

Kerry Ingram has been confirmed as Shireen Baratheon, the only daughter of Stannis Baratheon. Kerry has few credits, but they're noteworthy: she won an Olivier award for her role in the musical Matilda, and she will appear in the upcoming film Les Miserables (which shares Game of Thronescasting director Nina Gold).

Paul Kaye joins the cast as Thoros of Myr, a red priest who serves the outlaws of the Brotherhood Without Banners. Thoros will make his first appearance in season 3, even though his character was originally introduced in the first book. The British actor/comedian has several TV show credits, including roles in Being Human and Shameless, among numerous other British productions.

We'll continue to update this post with pictures and bio. Here's EW with the remaining cast additions and roles:

Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Jojen Reed, a mysterious and enigmatic young man who becomes an important ally to Bran Stark.

Ellie Kendirck as Meera Reed. The eldest daughter of Howland Reed and a staunch Stark loyalist, Meera and her younger brother Jojen seek out Bran Stark to protect him on his hard journey north.

Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion. Once the lord of Blackhaven and a celebrated warrior, Lord Beric has now become the leader of the Brotherhood Without Banners, a band of vigilante outlaws.

Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane. A famed wildling warrior and chief lieutenant of the "King Beyond the Wall," Mance Rayder, Tormund is fearsome and strong, with a large build and a beard to match.

Philip McGinley as Anguy, an extremely skilled archer and key member of the outlaw band known as the Brotherhood Without Banners.

Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse Baratheon. The wife of Stannis Baratheon, Selyse spends much of her life in seclusion, shut away in a gloomy tower.

Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully. The younger brother of Catelyn Stark, Edmure has recently become Lord of Riverrun in the wake of his father's death.

Anton Lesser as Qyburn, a former maester of the Citadel, who was stripped of his chain many years ago.

Jimsmusic™ and Heisenberg like this