Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

'Game of Thrones' author on budget limits: 'I'm greedy, I want more'

George R R Martin has admitted that he is sometimes frustrated by the budget limitations on Game of Thrones.

The author praised showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, but admitted that he is "greedy" and always wants more visual spectacle.

"The show is quite faithful to the books, for the most part," he told Vulture. "But David Benioff and Dan Weiss... it's really their baby.

"They have a very difficult job of trying to tell my story within ten hours [per season], with the limitations of budget. So I understand why many of the changes that are made are made."

Martin described the action-packed episode 'Blackwater' as "spectacular" but admitted that it did not quite match his expectations.

"I'm very, very pleased by the way that episode came out," he insisted. "Nonetheless, would I have liked more? Sure, I would have liked more. I'm very greedy.

"But if we had added [more] to the Battle of Blackwater Bay, we'd still be shooting it! It would've been impossible - you have to take reality into account."

Martin recently expressed concerns that HBO is producing Game of Thrones faster than he can write his novels, calling the adaptation a "locomotive... bearing down".

lol @ the sticker. I'm REALLY looking forward to this World of Ice and Fire book, particularly the artwork. I'd love to see a full illustration of all of Dany's visions from the HotU.

I know that Torrhen Stark gathered the North and marched to the Riverlands to engage Aegon, but once he got there and saw 3 giant dragons and an army that stretched as far as he could see he bent the knee right there on the spot. I'm assuming that the Vale reacted similarly.

Dorne is the only Kingdom that wasn't conquered by Aegon. They refused to engage in open warfare with them and instead used guerilla tactics, hitting supply lines while the Targaryen host was marching through the Red Mountains, and then retreating back through mountain passes before the dragons could find them. Aegon lost so many men that he retreated and left Dorne as a seperate nation. Those little desert dwellers are badasses.

I'm definitely going to get "The World of Ice and Fire." Martin mentioned it briefly in this interview I posted here a few weeks ago. I really loved the "Complete Guide to Westeros" that was part of the Blu-ray features. And with its lavish illustrations, I hope they format the book like a giant coffee table book.

GAME OF THRONES Season 3 Production Update: Directors, Writers and Locations

Here are some Game of Thrones updates that don’t include George W. Bush’s head – HBO has released a list of the writers, directors and shooting locations for the show’s third season.

Sadly, Alan Taylor will be out of the mix for directing the upcoming season (which will be based on the first half of the third and potentially best book so far of the novel series, A Storm of Swords). Taylor, who directed some of the most memorable episodes of Thrones so far (including the final two episodes of the first season and a slew of great episodes this past season) will be busy shooting Thor 2 (bless him), which means that showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will take the helm directing in his absence. For more on who is returning to Westeros next year, hit the jump.

Also directing episodes for the third season are Alex Graves, Michelle MacLaren, as well as veteran Thrones directors Dan Minahan, David Nutter and Alik Sakharov. Of the new guard, it appears MacLaren is well known to AMC, where she has directed a number of Breaking Bad episodes (which has me sold), as well as a few episodes of The Walking Dead and **** on Wheels (the titles of which, it should be noted, could actually all describe various aspects Game of Thrones).

As for the writing staff, Benioff and Weiss will continue to be joined by Bryan Cogman and Vanessa Taylor, along with George R.R. Martin, who has said he will write the seventh of the rumored ten episodes, “Autumn Storms.” Martin-penned episodes are usually the best, but of course he really needs to be finishing up The Winds of Winter…

Westeros itself will still be represented by Belfast, Croatia and (beyond the Wall) Iceland, but a new locale – Morocco – has been added presumably as the backdrop for Dany’s (totally badass) exploits across the narrow sea.

Production on the third season, which will mostly likely cover the first half of A Storm of Swords (and likely end with one of two rouge-colored events. That’s not a spoiler, that’s a three-eyed raven), begins next month. The series will return in April of 2013.

[Production information via EW]

I'm wondering what made him add "(totally badass)" to Dany's exploits across the Narrow Sea. I'm not sure I know anyone who thinks that.

I'm still convinced that garrow is someone from the shop, and it's getting ******* old. Quit being a ******* **** head whoever you are.

Keep ignoring him and he'll go back to poking frogs with a stick.

The Big Lebowski is hands down my all time favorite movie, but I can't help but imagine this is going to be disappointing. I just don't see how they can recapture the magic of the original.

even if it's not as good as the first.. it'll still be better than 1/2 the crap these days

5753-27652.gif

Tara Fitzgerald is the first cast choice announced. From the looks of her, I'm gonna go with her playing Stannis' wife, Selyse Baratheon.

‘Game of Thrones’ Season 3 Casts a New Lady

120524-ep19-sansa-joffrey-hound-1920.jpg

HBO / CV

Chances are, it’ll be a good long while before we start seeing anything truly substantial from ‘Game of Thrones‘ season 3, even this summer in San Diego at Comic-Con 2012. Earlier today we learned that a new location had been added to the epic George R.R. Martin series’ international production, and now we’ve gotten confirmation that a young actress has been cast to play a well-known book character. Who is this mysterious lady, and what might her casting mean for the series?

SpoilerTV has gotten wind of the fact that young actress Charlotte Hope has been cast in the third season of HBO’s ‘Game of Thrones,’ which will begin production this July in Belfast, Ireland. Hope will play a character named “Myranda,” which is speculated to be that of “Myranda Royce,” daughter of Lord Nestor Royce, and keeper of the Gates of the Moon for her father.

It’s also been speculated that her character may be combined with that of Mya Stone, who was excised from the first season of ‘Game of Thrones,’ and might be more age-appropriate for Charlotte Hope. Season 3 of ‘Game of Thrones’ will adapt its material from George R.R. Martin’s third book in the ‘Song of Ice and Fire Series,’ entitled ‘A Storm of Swords,’ which was long enough to merit dividing into the HBO program’s fourth season as well. In ‘A Storm of Swords,’ Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) thinks about being banished from Kings’ Landing to the Gates of the Moon, having heard that Myranda keeps a lively household.

What say you, , ‘Game of Thrones’ fans? Is Charlotte Hope right for the part of Myranda? What are you hoping to see from ‘Game of Thrones’ season 3 when the it arrives next spring, or even at Comic-Con 2012? Speak up in the comments below!

‘Game of Thrones’ Season 3 Casts a New Lady

120524-ep19-sansa-joffrey-hound-1920.jpg

HBO / CV

Chances are, it’ll be a good long while before we start seeing anything truly substantial from ‘Game of Thrones‘ season 3, even this summer in San Diego at Comic-Con 2012. Earlier today we learned that a new location had been added to the epic George R.R. Martin series’ international production, and now we’ve gotten confirmation that a young actress has been cast to play a well-known book character. Who is this mysterious lady, and what might her casting mean for the series?

SpoilerTV has gotten wind of the fact that young actress Charlotte Hope has been cast in the third season of HBO’s ‘Game of Thrones,’ which will begin production this July in Belfast, Ireland. Hope will play a character named “Myranda,” which is speculated to be that of “Myranda Royce,” daughter of Lord Nestor Royce, and keeper of the Gates of the Moon for her father.

It’s also been speculated that her character may be combined with that of Mya Stone, who was excised from the first season of ‘Game of Thrones,’ and might be more age-appropriate for Charlotte Hope. Season 3 of ‘Game of Thrones’ will adapt its material from George R.R. Martin’s third book in the ‘Song of Ice and Fire Series,’ entitled ‘A Storm of Swords,’ which was long enough to merit dividing into the HBO program’s fourth season as well. In ‘A Storm of Swords,’ Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) thinks about being banished from Kings’ Landing to the Gates of the Moon, having heard that Myranda keeps a lively household.

What say you, , ‘Game of Thrones’ fans? Is Charlotte Hope right for the part of Myranda? What are you hoping to see from ‘Game of Thrones’ season 3 when the it arrives next spring, or even at Comic-Con 2012? Speak up in the comments below!

Why not Meera Reed?

Myranda Royce was in one **** chapter the entire series, and it was at the end of A Feast for Crows. And she was a fat chick. This casting makes no sense.

Myranda Royce was in one **** chapter the entire series, and it was at the end of A Feast for Crows. And she was a fat chick. This casting makes no sense.

Maybe the writer on the site I linked to (Screencrush) went in the wrong direction with his speculations. SpoilerTV is the first link below and the one Screencrush referenced..

Game of Thrones - Season 3 - Casting News - Charlotte Hope is "Myranda"

Earlier today their was epculation via Twitter than Charlotte Hope had been cast as Myranda for Season 3. Thanks to Rabbit at Winter-is-Coming, now it appears her CV has confirmed the rumors.

Her CV is here (but has code protection and will not link normally): http://www.spotlight.../1/F134702.html

Myranda could be Myranda Royce, the daughter of Lord Nestor Royce of the Vale.

Perhaps she could be a combination of Myranda Royce and Mya Stone who was absent in Season 1 at The Eyrie.... or are D&D playing more name games with us?

My first thought was she could be Meera Reed with those eyes and she would be about the right age too.... Regardless of the role she will play, welcome to Game of Thrones Charlotte Hope!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlotte Hope joins the cast

According to her CV on Spotlight.com, actress Charlotte Hope has been cast in the role of “Myranda” for season 3.

This is not likely to be Myranda Royce from the ASOIAF books, since Hope is too young, appearing to be in her late teens, and Royce doesn’t even turn up until A Feast For Crows. We’re guessing they’ve borrowed the name Myranda to use on a small role, such as one of Margaery’s cousins.

Also they could be playing around with names again.. Oona Chaplin was listed as "Jeyne" when she was cast last summer..

Originally, Oona Chaplin was announced as playing 'Jeyne', leading to fan speculation that she would be playing either Jeyne Westerling or Jeyne Poole, a friend and companion of Sansa Stark's who accompanies her to King's Landing.[1] It was later announced to be Jeyne Westerling.[2] However Chaplin's character introduces herself as Talisa when she first appears. She goes on to say that she is from the Free City of Volantis.

http://gameofthrones...eyne_Westerling

August 12, 2011

Oona Chaplin is Jeyne

This article is from March 6 and Oona and the interviewer both were still referring to her character as "Jeyne"..

Game Of Thrones Season 2: Jeyne Westerling is different from the book

Also they could be playing around with names again.. Oona Chaplin was listed as "Jeyne" when she was cast last summer..

August 12, 2011

Oona Chaplin is Jeyne

This article is from March 6 and Oona and the interviewer both were still referring to her character as "Jeyne"..

Game Of Thrones Season 2: Jeyne Westerling is different from the book

Another change that made no sense. Why change Jeyne Westerling to this made up Talisa Maeger or whatever the **** her last name was.

Another change that made no sense. Why change Jeyne Westerling to this made up Talisa Maeger or whatever the **** her last name was.

From what I was told, Robb just sorta showed back up in camp one day and announced "Hey guys, I got married to this Jeyne Westerling chick." So given that and the fact that Robb wasn't a POV charcater in ACoK, I guess they used the Talisa character in order to make viewers more invested in Robb. Having said that, I have no clue how prominent Jeyne is in ASoS.

I just don't see the need for the name change, just call her Jeyne Westerling, it's not like it's any harder to pronounce than Talisa Maegr.

I just wish they would have stuck to the same format as the books. If Robb wasn't visually prominent in the books, then don't make him visually prominent in the show. If Dany didn't do much until the House of the Undying, then don't have her doing much until then in the show, that way you don't have to make drastic, sweeping changes to the story.

I haven't read the books so i didn't notice the name change until reading about it and it really doesn't bother me that they did change it but i still don't get why they did change her name

Good question. Maybe the creators are just looking for opportunitys to flex their creative muscles. Their biggest liberty in season 1 was Roslyn (or whatever her name is) who they just made up and added to the series. Fast forward a year and David Benioff and D.B Weiss are far more famous and wealthy than they used to be and sometimes that goes to your head. But I guess it doesn't matter because despite their best efforts the most popular characters are still Martin creations (ie Jamie, Bronn, Tyrion, Tywin etc)

I wouldn't mind so much but they've thrown out some golden dialogue lines from Clash of Kings, I hope they don't go too out there as the series continues.

Good question. Maybe the creators are just looking for opportunitys to flex their creative muscles. Their biggest liberty in season 1 was Roslyn (or whatever her name is) who they just made up and added to the series. Fast forward a year and David Benioff and D.B Weiss are far more famous and wealthy than they used to be and sometimes that goes to your head. But I guess it doesn't matter because despite their best efforts the most popular characters are still Martin creations (ie Jamie, Bronn, Tyrion, Tywin etc)

I wouldn't mind so much but they've thrown out some golden dialogue lines from Clash of Kings, I hope they don't go too out there as the series continues.

David Benioff's father is the former head of Goldman Sachs and David is married to Amanda Peet.

While working as an English teacher, Benioff wrote The 25th Hour. He later adapted the book into a screenplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V8EpLSl10s

Game of Thrones - Season 3 - Clive Russel is Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully

According to his management company, Clive Russell has been cast in one of the most anticipated roles for Season 3, The Blackfish!

6-30-2012%2B11-45-38%2BAM.jpg

No official confirmation from HBO yet, but it looks official...

Ser Brynden Tully, also known as Ser Brynden the Blackfish, is a member of House Tully. A skilled and experienced fighter who is invaluable to King Robb Stark as an adviser and captain of the outriders. His personal coat of arms consists of the traditional Tully colors, but with a black fish. He is tall and lean, with a hoarse, smoky voice. His features are lined and weathered. His once-auburn hair has gone to grey. He has bushy eyebrows and bright blue eyes.

Clive Russell is a familiar face on British television and has appeared in numerous television series including Boys from the Blackstuff (as a policeman), Hope and Glory, Neverwhere, Great Expectations, The Mists of Avalon, Heartburn Hotel, Roughnecks, Monarch of the Glen, Waking the Dead, Silent Witness, Rockface, Spaced, Still Game, Cracker as Robbie Coltrane's brother, Happiness and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. From 2005 - 2006 Russell played Phil Nail in ITV's Coronation Street.

He made an appearance in the 2009 film Sherlock Holmes as Captain Tanner and the 2010 film The Wolfman as MacQueen.

**** that's pretty spot-on casting. Literally looks exactly how I always pictured him.

Now if they could just get Tony Curran for Edmure Tully.

**** that's pretty spot-on casting. Literally looks exactly how I always pictured him.

Now if they could just get Tony Curran for Edmure Tully.

Special Note 1:

I have removed early fan suggestions like Ciaran Hinds, James Purefoy, Mads Mikkelsen, Ray Stevenson and Tony Curran since each has projects filming during the Thrones filming period and will be unavailable in all likelihood.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/05/game-of-thrones-season-3-casting-roles.html

Crossmaglen (pre-production)

Dermot McGarvey

I are sad.

He auditioned for season 1 and wasn't cast. They wanted him to audition for Season 2 but he was busy. Oh well. One thing I never have any problems with D&D about is their ability to cast based on visual appearance. Pretty much everyone on this show looks like their book descriptions.

Update: Noises are also being heard about The Office and Pirates of the Caribbean actor Mackenzie Crook having joined the show in some capacity, in addition to The Tudors' Sarah Bolger and Hollyoaks' Nathalie Emmanuel, but we'll wait to see what's confirmed.

http://www.denofgeek...-3-casting-news

Yeah, I've since read that Clive Russel is 6'5"... so he's even tall, as the Blackfish was described in the books.

I've heard some folks speculate that the Blackfish might have a Renly situation going on. I'm only like a 1/3 of the way through ACoK, but so far I'm not seeing it.

The only thing I recall is at the end of AGoT, Catelyn said to her father: "[the Blackfish] will never marry, you know that."

But so far he just seems like a dude who doesn't want to be tied down.