Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

Might as well. Post #1585 and #1586 could be big time spoilers for fans of the show.

That's why they're in spoiler tags, mang.

Serious spoiler alert here, but I'm dying to get an answer from one of the book readers who has finished Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragons:

Just a simple yes or no question...do we see Tyrion again after Joffrey's death?

Serious spoiler alert here, but I'm dying to get an answer from one of the book readers who has finished Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragons:

Just a simple yes or no question...do we see Tyrion again after Joffrey's death?

Simply yes

I've heard people say they weren't happy with the splitting of Feast and Dance.

Have you guys ever heard of anybody reading those 2 books simultaneously? Is there any (practical) way to read Feast and Dance as one book?

Given the reaction to your decision to split these two books, and the controversy over the wait between them, would you make the same decision again?

You know, given the realities, I would. If the publishing world was different—if we could publish a physical book that was 3,000 pages long that wouldn't fall apart, and if my fans and editors and publishers had wanted to wait—then I might have made a different decision. If I hadn't split the books, it still might only be coming out this year, and people would have waited 10 years for the book instead of waiting five. It was a difficult decision, but I think given the realities of what I was faced with, it was the best decision.

http://www.theatlant...dragons/241738/

*** I found out about the above link at another site and I was warned that there were spoilers in the intro to the article, so I just read the GRRM interview portion and skipped the intro ***

Have you guys ever heard of anybody reading those 2 books simultaneously? Is there any (practical) way to read Feast and Dance as one book?

*** I found out about the above link at another site and I was warned that there were spoilers in the intro to the article, so I just read the GRRM interview portion and skipped the intro ***

I didn't like the approach because it took away from the flow of the story. Add to that, Feast spent a lot of time dealing with lesser characters, so it kind of felt like a filler book.

Yeah someone on the internet did something called A Feast for Dragons where they attempted to combine the two books chronologically.

Billy Ocean likes this

Yeah someone on the internet did something called A Feast for Dragons where they attempted to combine the two books chronologically.

I'll look into this.

Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords should probably keep me busy till August.

The most surprising thing for me about reading Game of Thrones was that..

By the end of the first book, Robb is at Riverrun and we've already met all the Tully's. In the context of the show, I wasn't even sure who held Riverrun.. from the time The Mountain started his raiding in season 1 and all through season 2.. I just thought/assumed that Riverrun remained under the control of Cat's family.

But the casting news for the third season means that we'll finally see all that and it probably would have been difficult to introduce them earlier in the series because of all the other characters & locations that had to be presented. And it was around this time last year that casting announcements were made, so we should be hearing about the new additions pretty soon.

Thanks!

I flipped ahead through half the book and didn't see a chapter with his name, so I wasn't sure.

Feast and Dance (as you've likely heard) split characters between them (to Feast's detriment IMO)

Feast and Dance (as you've likely heard) split characters between them (to Feast's detriment IMO)

Yeah, I saw a list of chapters in Dance and I'm WAY more excited about reading it than I am with finishing Feast. I'll take them in order, but Dance seems far and away more of what I was expecting Feast to be. For some reason, I can't bring myself to give a tinker's d*** about the Iron Islands and their kingsmoot.

Yeah, I saw a list of chapters in Dance and I'm WAY more excited about reading it than I am with finishing Feast. I'll take them in order, but Dance seems far and away more of what I was expecting Feast to be. For some reason, I can't bring myself to give a tinker's d*** about the Iron Islands and their kingsmoot.

Me either. It felt like Martin was milking the series at that point.

Well this appears to be one of the more definitive articles on a combined reading of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons...

A proposed A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons merged reading order, with explanation [uPDATED x3.5]

...and that site and the others I've looked at have all pretty much echoed the latter part of the following..

This post is intended for people who have already read both books, as are its recommendations for the combined order.

...so I guess I'll just read them as 2 separate books. It'd probably be a hassle constantly going back and forth between the two anyway.

Really? I LOVE the Greyjoy stuff. They're the most interesting story for me right now outside of all the stuff happening north of The Wall. Euron and Victarion Greyjoy >>>>>>>>>

June 26, 2012

GRRM on World of Ice and Fire and More

Over at “Not a Blog”, George has posted a lengthy update on various projects, from those that are done (The Lands of Ice and Fire poster map collection [Preorder: Amazon US, Amazon UK]) to those in-progress (such as The Winds of Winter, Dangerous Women and the fourth Dunk & Egg novella, the latest Wild Cards novel Lowball, and Old Mars), and on to those just in the planning stages (Old Venus).

One in particular might be of special interest to followers of Westeros.org, since it’s The World of Ice and Fire, the world book that we’re are co-authoring with George. Here’s what George has to say:

THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE. The concordance. Elio and Linda are my partners on this one, a compendium of the history and legends of the world of Westeros. A coffee table book, lots of gorgeous art from such talents as Ted Nasmith, Justin Sweet, and others. Making good progress on this one of late, lots of great historical stuff that I think my readers will enjoy. Never before revealed details of Aegon’s Conquest, the War With the Faith, The Dance of the Dragons, the Paramours of Aegon the Unworthy, etc.

Speaking of that last stuff… yeah, there’s some really neat details in there, and perhaps a new mystery or two for fans to ponder. Some fans have long wondered just how Aegon’s Conquest was carried out, how the Vale of Arryn fell under their control, the status of Dorne in that time, even the order in which the Targaryens conquered each region… well, they’ll be wondering no more, on those topics, and quite a few others!

Filming for Season 3 begins July 9th with Morocco added to the filming locations. Likely Morocco will be used entirely for Daenerys' storyline.

I remember they filmed part of the pilot in Morocco.

Also FedEx delivered ACoK, ASoS, & AFfC today. The smartasses literally put this exact same sticker on the box they all came in..

Shipping-Labels-50693-ba.jpg

Filming for Season 3 begins July 9th with Morocco added to the filming locations. Likely Morocco will be used entirely for Daenerys' storyline.

Could be Dorne?

(But I've always maintained Dorne = Spain)

EDIT: stupid auto spell

Also, please do a review of Keira's lost sister Natalie Portman next. She is my own personal goddess. She recently supplanted Kate Beckinsale.

Starts here and doesn't end till here.

tumblr_lgcqyccimx1qd3jhlo1_500.gif

Could be Dorne?

(But I've always maintained Dorne = Spain)

EDIT: stupid auto spell

Dorne doesn't show up until A Feast For Crows, so Season 5 if the show makes it that far.

off-topic: http://superofficial...-to-washington/

Big Lebowski 2

bridges and goodman are returning.. and bill murray is the main villian.

F*CK YES!

The Big Lebowski is hands down my all time favorite movie, but I can't help but imagine this is going to be disappointing. I just don't see how they can recapture the magic of the original.

June 26, 2012

GRRM on World of Ice and Fire and More

Over at “Not a Blog”, George has posted a lengthy update on various projects, from those that are done (The Lands of Ice and Fire poster map collection [Preorder: Amazon US, Amazon UK]) to those in-progress (such as The Winds of Winter, Dangerous Women and the fourth Dunk & Egg novella, the latest Wild Cards novel Lowball, and Old Mars), and on to those just in the planning stages (Old Venus).

One in particular might be of special interest to followers of Westeros.org, since it’s The World of Ice and Fire, the world book that we’re are co-authoring with George. Here’s what George has to say:

Speaking of that last stuff… yeah, there’s some really neat details in there, and perhaps a new mystery or two for fans to ponder. Some fans have long wondered just how Aegon’s Conquest was carried out, how the Vale of Arryn fell under their control, the status of Dorne in that time, even the order in which the Targaryens conquered each region… well, they’ll be wondering no more, on those topics, and quite a few others!

I remember they filmed part of the pilot in Morocco.

Also FedEx delivered ACoK, ASoS, & AFfC today. The smartasses literally put this exact same sticker on the box they all came in..

Shipping-Labels-50693-ba.jpg

lol @ the sticker. I'm REALLY looking forward to this World of Ice and Fire book, particularly the artwork. I'd love to see a full illustration of all of Dany's visions from the HotU.

I know that Torrhen Stark gathered the North and marched to the Riverlands to engage Aegon, but once he got there and saw 3 giant dragons and an army that stretched as far as he could see he bent the knee right there on the spot. I'm assuming that the Vale reacted similarly.

Dorne is the only Kingdom that wasn't conquered by Aegon. They refused to engage in open warfare with them and instead used guerilla tactics, hitting supply lines while the Targaryen host was marching through the Red Mountains, and then retreating back through mountain passes before the dragons could find them. Aegon lost so many men that he retreated and left Dorne as a seperate nation. Those little desert dwellers are badasses.

I'm still convinced that garrow is someone from the shop, and it's getting ******* old. Quit being a ******* **** head whoever you are.