Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

I was reading some background on the Targaryen dynasty and had a question: what does it mean to "legitimize" one's bastar.ds? Does it grant them the right to titles (ser) and lands? Does it mean they will be eligible to receive an inheritance?

Trying so hard not to get completely spoiled by everything, my wife has finished all the books and is mouthy about it. so here is what i know unfortunately

Do not read this section unless you are done with the books

I know Jon Snow becomes pretty important and become a lord, I know Rob and Catelyn die, I know Sansa and Tyrion get together, and now it's posted up here that Jon potentially dies? WTF, In the most general terms can someone spoil this for me so I do not go looking around and make it worse for myself

Do the Starks EVER get any kind of retribution, Power or vengeance for anything? Are they simply Martin's punching bag throughout the whole series? Seems they are doomed to never be anything other than fodder for the other houses to abuse

Trying so hard not to get completely spoiled by everything, my wife has finished all the books and is mouthy about it. so here is what i know unfortunately

I know Jon Snow becomes pretty important and become a lord, I know Rob and Catelyn die, I know Sansa and Tyrion get together, and now it's posted up here that Jon potentially dies? WTF, In the most general terms can someone spoil this for me so I do not go looking around and make it worse for myself

Do the Starks EVER get any kind of retribution, Power or vengeance for anything? Are they simply Martin's punching bag throughout the whole series? Seems they are doomed to never be anything other than fodder for the other houses to abuse

cut and paste one

I was reading some background on the Targaryen dynasty and had a question: what does it mean to "legitimize" one's bastar.ds? Does it grant them the right to titles (ser) and lands? Does it mean they will be eligible to receive an inheritance?

If a lord didn't have any legitmate heirs, the king could legitimize a b@stard to that status

Billy Ocean likes this

Can anyone answer this question in vague terms so I don't spoiler myself any further?

Do not read this section unless you are done with the books

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the prologues in Feast and Dance were.

Maybe he just needed someone to stand in for the character in the prologue always dies bit lol. Your right though up till the point I've read (got another 100 pages in Dance of Dragons) I'm still trying to figure out what was up with the Prologue in Feast was about.

Was that Jaqen H'ghar who killed Pate?

Yikes!! Most of these spoilers are fairly subtle so I don't have issue with reading but this is one I had to close before I got too far.

No harm no foul though.

Can anyone answer this question in vague terms so I don't spoiler myself any further?

I'm almost 98% sure that they will. George RR Martin likes to knock off or act like he's knocking off his main characters but he doesn't seem like the type to let the bad guys get away without having their comeuppance by the end of the story.

I think a few

Lannisters (minus a the good ones I hope), Frey's and Boltons

with either be ruined or be short a head by story's end

Yikes!! Most of these spoilers are fairly subtle so I don't have issue with reading but this is one I had to close before I got too far.

No harm no foul though.

Sorry I added another warning to the text, these spoilers my wife gave me and I accidentally ran across looking up info on a character.

Maybe he just needed someone to stand in for the character in the prologue always dies bit lol. Your right though up till the point I've read (got another 100 pages in Dance of Dragons) I'm still trying to figure out what was up with the Prologue in Feast was about.

Was that Jaqen H'ghar who killed Pate?

I'm fairly sure it was. He's got the same description as the person Jaqen becomes after face-changing. I'm just not sure what his mission is. It seems as though some people think the Citadel is in possession of a dragon egg and that's what the key was for, but I'm not sure what the Faceless Men would want with a dragon egg.

Finished Game of Thrones last night- ******* wow! Great stuff. Can't wait to pick up the next one this weekend.

So, just to confirm: Is it safe for me to watch the first season at this point?

Finished Game of Thrones last night- ******* wow! Great stuff. Can't wait to pick up the next one this weekend.

So, just to confirm: Is it safe for me to watch the first season at this point?

yes

Thanks. And big ups to everyone being so thoughtful as to using these spoiler box things.

People in this thread are good about spoilers, but the vast majority of this thread is about season 2 of the show. So I assume you already know that you don't want to see most of what's in this thread till you get caught-up.

Somebody asked about Martin's intentions for the Starks earlier in this thread and I just don't feel like going back and looking for it even though it's probably not that far back.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to like any of the Starks outside of Bran. They are Westeros' version of the Kardashians. They do things and you're just left wondering why they ever even managed to exist as long as they did. Waking themselves up in the morning without doing something monumentally stupid becomes a resounding victory for the remaining Stark children as the books progress.

House Stark is a giant nebulous of failure and I hope none of them ever get the sort of vengeance that most book readers think they deserve. Stupidity should never be rewarded.

Somebody asked about Martin's intentions for the Starks earlier in this thread and I just don't feel like going back and looking for it even though it's probably not that far back.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to like any of the Starks outside of Bran. They are Westeros' version of the Kardashians. They do things and you're just left wondering why they ever even managed to exist as long as they did. Waking themselves up in the morning without doing something monumentally stupid becomes a resounding victory for the remaining Stark children as the books progress.

House Stark is a giant nebulous of failure and I hope none of them ever get the sort of vengeance that most book readers think they deserve. Stupidity should never be rewarded.

I agree. I believe that House Stark represents the epitome of abject stupidity and that their entire clan if full of honorable but idiotic characters. The natural path for all of them is to walk into death in their utter stupidity, like Ned Stark did.

Arya Stark......that is all.

Arya.jpg