Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

It's a shame they didn't give Rory this scene with Sansa. Such a missed opportunity.

Also, you might want to prepare yourself around the :55 mark so you don't dook your pants.

I turned it down at 0:55 and it was still loud. hah

It's a shame they didn't give Rory this scene with Sansa. Such a missed opportunity.

Also, you might want to prepare yourself around the :55 mark so you don't dook your pants.

I turned it down at 0:55 and it was still loud. hah

Wow I nearly fell out of my seat that took took me by such surprise.

Seriously, Holy... Freaking... Christ. It shouldn't be humanly possible to change from that range of emotion in that short amount of time. Like at 59.1 secs he's got an easy grin and by 59.5 I'm scared he's going to come crashing through screen to bash my head in.

I watched that video earlier, I thought it was pretty cool how they added that small detail there. I've said it before and I'll say it again I love that song.

I've been singing "Rains of Castamere" in the shower, in the car, and around the house these past few weeks. Sh-t is catchy!

Plus I love how the song is all about how Tywin = Keyser Soze..

"He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money."

Tywin-Lannister-house-lannister-24541837-500-280.png

Something I didn't understand from the first book..

Shortly after leaving Winterfell, Ned and King Robert have a discussion on the Kingsroad about who will serve as Warden of the East after Jon Arryn's death. Ned is afraid that Robert plans to name Jaime as Warden to the East. Ned fears this would give Jaime and the Lannisters too much power because he says that Jaime is already in-line to be named Warden of the West after Tywin dies.

I thought the King's Guard was a lifetime appointment that came with the renunciation of all lands and titles. That was even part of the reason Jaime was originally named to the King's Guard by King Aerys - because Aerys was jealous of his Hand, Tywin, and wanted to rob Tywin of his heir.

Something I didn't understand from the first book..

Shortly after leaving Winterfell, Ned and King Robert have a discussion on the Kingsroad about who will serve as Warden of the East after Jon Arryn's death. Ned is afraid that Robert plans to name Jaime as Warden to the East. Ned fears this would give Jaime and the Lannisters too much power because he says that Jaime is already in-line to be named Warden of the West after Tywin dies.

I thought the King's Guard was a lifetime appointment that came with the renunciation of all lands and titles. That was even part of the reason Jaime was originally named to the King's Guard by King Aerys - because Aerys was jealous of his Hand, Tywin, and wanted to rob Tywin of his heir.

I'd be interested to read the actual passage.

The way I recall that conversation is Ned tells Robert that with Tywin already Warden in the West, naming Jaime Warden in the East would give House Lannister entirely too much power. Not to mention it would be a slap in the face to the Vale, who traditionally has had the Lord of the Eyrie named by the King as Warden in the East.

Jaime's Kingsguard duties prevent him from being the heir to any lands unless otherwise named by the King (The king makes the rules, if he want to name a Kingsguard as an heir to lands he can). This is a constant point of contention amongst Tywin and Jaime.

Deleted on account of possible spoilers. Don't know how far into the book you are.

Billy Ocean likes this

Literally just read that part in the book. Such a good scene.

You on the 2nd book already?

That's from the first book, no? I have a good red wine buzz, but I'm fairly certain I just read that scene where he takes Sansa back to her chambers after the first night of the Hand's Tournament.

Billy Ocean likes this

That's from the first book, no? I have a good red wine buzz, but I'm fairly certain I just read that scene where he takes Sansa back to her chambers after the first night of the Hand's Tournament.

Home on a Thursday, drunk on Merlot, reading, and probably snuggling with your new tiny dog.

Being engaged has already ruined you....

Billy Ocean and Jimsmusic™ like this

Home on a Thursday, drunk on Merlot, reading, and probably snuggling with your new tiny dog.

Being engaged has already ruined you....

Was in Atlanta all day for a deposition, tired, drunk on cabernet (I DO NOT ******* DRINK MERLOT - Sideways), don't have the dog yet.

Being engaged sucks. I just want to go to the ******* courthouse and get it over with already. Wedding planning sucks an AIDS, not HIV, but full-blown AIDS, infected ****.

Hm, I don't remember now. Everything kind of blends together on account of me reading all these back to back.

Yeah, I just came to the scene from the audition video today.. it's like you described.. around page 250.

And I only read in the evenings and weekends, so I'm always at least somewhat high when I'm reading, but I still got a pachyderm memory though.

Another thing.. after seeing that audition tape, the show giving all the Hound's best lines to Littlefinger makes even less sense.

Yeah, I just came to the scene from the audition video today.. it's like you described.. around page 250.

And I only read in the evenings and weekends, so I'm always at least somewhat high when I'm reading, but I still got a pachyderm memory though.

Another thing.. after seeing that audition tape, the show giving all the Hound's best lines to Littlefinger makes even less sense.

I also read during the evenings and weekends, and generally under the influence of red wine or beer.

I know, right? The first season stuck to the books pretty carefully, but the second season seems to have gone off script a lot more. I understand them completely rewriting the Battle of Blackwater Bay. That makes sense. But some of the decisions seems kind of random to me.

On a related side note, I just started reading "The Walking Dead" graphic novel. Holy crap, there's a show that completely rewrote the canon. I feel bad reading ahead of "Game of Thrones" because I know that I'm going to get spoilers along the way, but I don't feel bad whatsoever reading "The Walking Dead" because the storyline was virtually completely rewritten from the books.

Walking Dead graphic novel >>>> Walking Dead TV show

Okay, so admittedly I'm less than a quarter way into the first compendium, but I disagree. With Game of Thrones, there is a definite canon that would be hard to rewrite.

Daenerys Targaryen must go into the House of the Undying alone and burn the place down. Ned Stark must die. Cersei and Jaime must knock boots together and throw poor Bran from the tower.
Things must happen a certain way in that show. But with The Walking Dead, it's okay for things to happen out of sequence as long as the core conflicts and drama are preserved.
Does it matter that Shane freaks out at camp and Rick's son kills him versus Carl watching Rick kill Shane and then kill him again when he comes back as a zombie on Hershel's farm? The exact same dynamic is at work--Shane is jealous and forces a confrontation with Rick over Lori and his decisions about the group.
There was only a couple of additions to "A Game of Thrones" that I appreciated, such as...
Tywin Lannister and Arya Stark's interactions
...whereas I appreciate and respect a lot of what was added to "The Walking Dead". I think that it's easier to rewrite and rework scenes from a graphic novel, which let's face it, is really just a glorified comic book, than it is to change things from an honest-to-God series of novels that are (slightly flawed) modern day classics.

I also read during the evenings and weekends, and generally under the influence of red wine or beer. Don't get high anymore, gave that up a while ago.

Yeah, I really don't drink all that regularly anymore.

Ninjas wanna creep, got ta watch my back

Think the Cognac and indo sack make me slack?

I switches all that, ****-sucker G's up

One false move, get swiss cheesed up

I know, right? The first season stuck to the books pretty carefully, but the second season seems to have gone off script a lot more. I understand them completely rewriting the Battle of Blackwater Bay. That makes sense. But some of the decisions seems kind of random to me.

On a related side note, I just started reading "The Walking Dead" graphic novel. Holy crap, there's a show that completely rewrote the canon. I feel bad reading ahead of "Game of Thrones" because I know that I'm going to get spoilers along the way, but I don't feel bad whatsoever reading "The Walking Dead" because the storyline was virtually completely rewritten from the books.

I understand consolidating and eliminating characters.. when I talk to people in real life about the show, they can't even keep up with all the names as is. A girl the other day referenced Theon decapitating "sideburns guy".. but what I don't get is giving lines of established characters to other established characters.