Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

And why doesn't Rob seem to have a council of advisors?... just Roose Bolton and his mother, who has made nothing but bad decisions ever since we met her.

Joffrey has shown he only wants to lead/rule in name, rather than in deed, and is happy to pass the reins. Tywin Lannister is the smartest man in Westeros and the richest man in Westeros. The Tyrell's are one of the wealthiest families in Westeros.

Robb Stark doesn't give a **** about the Iron Throne, and the Iron Throne is the only thing Stannis gives a **** about.

Robb and Stannis need to form an alliance.. it's their only hope the way I see it.

"This war has just begun. It will last for years."

1h19O.png

Also after the murders I assumed Jaqen was some kinda ninja who could bend the laws of space and time or something. Not a face-changer or whatever... didn't know that was even an option.

What was a shape-shifting bada$$ faceless man like Jaqen doing in a cage with 2 other miscreants, headed for the Wall?

What was a shape-shifting bada$$ faceless man like Jaqen doing in a cage with 2 other miscreants, headed for the Wall?

Leads you to believe he was there by choice obviously, to follow Arya and make sure things turned out ok for her, which then leads you back to why? He was her fencing teacher and spending alot time with her did not want to see her harmed and probably thought she was a talented student.

Leads you to believe he was there by choice obviously, to follow Arya and make sure things turned out ok for her, which then leads you back to why? He was her fencing teacher and spending alot time with her did not want to see her harmed and probably thought she was a talented student.

That course of action assumes Jaqen knows that Yoren is going to intercept Arya and try to smuggle her back to Winterfell.

That course of action assumes Jaqen knows that Yoren is going to intercept Arya and try to smuggle her back to Winterfell.

As long as he sticks close to her trail he does not have to assume anything, just keep following her and shape shifting along the way.

As long as he sticks close to her trail he does not have to assume anything, just keep following her and shape shifting along the way.

Yeah, I don't think he's her dancing instructor. There are a lot of people who talk like him and who have those skills (magic?) in Braavos and that area of Westeros. I think it's reading too much into the story to make that connection.

Yeah, I don't think he's her dancing instructor. There are a lot of people who talk like him and who have those skills (magic?) in Braavos and that area of Westeros. I think it's reading too much into the story to make that connection.

Yea could be but given what we have right now it at least presents a valid reason for him to show up and follow her around after the crap hit the fan at Kings landing. It is an open issue right now so it's fun to speculate but it certainly cannot be ruled out at this point.

How much time expires between Yoren intercepting Arya at her father's execution, cutting her hair and taking her back to his caravan, where Jaqen has already been identified as suitable for the wall, re-caged for travel and left to sit/wait?

Jaqen's voice doesn't change after his face does. But nice pickup, Shot. I never picked up on him changing his face in the book, so was surprised by that. There is a lot of evidence supporting your theory though, as I don't think the way they speak is really a colloquialism. Good authors put things like that in a book to be used as subtle hints.

Yea could be but given what we have right now it at least presents a valid reason for him to show up and follow her around after the crap hit the fan at Kings landing. It is an open issue right now so it's fun to speculate but it certainly cannot be ruled out at this point.

Sure it's fun to speculate, but I think it can be ruled out for a couple of reasons.

First, what is the purpose of the characters? Syrio's role was to teach her how to use a sword and how to be strong emotionally. The sneaking around part in the books (e.g., catching cats) was to teach her how to use her feet in a swordfight. It wasn't to teach her stealth killing. If Syrio were Jagen, why didn't he use the stealth to easily deal with all of the soldiers when they came for Arya? A few darts would have taken them down, right

Second, related to the purpose of the characters, why wouldn't Jagen tell Arya who he is/was as Syrio once they were free? There's no reason for him to keep that from her now as he invited her to Braavos to be her new instructor. Syrio would be more likely to follow her as she tries to find her way back to her family, and then continue the lessons. He was hired by Ned Stark and would be welcome by the Starks for defending Arya. Why would he up and abandon Arya now?

Finally, Jagen represents a natural progression for Arya's character. She learned emotional strength and self-restraint from Syrio as well as how to use a sword. Jagen's instruction (I assume they'll meet again because of the coin) would round out her fighting skills with a broader skill set and is a more natural development for her to become a warrior as opposed to some maiden to be married off to another family.

The last fits into my theory that Arya could become one of the most bada** fighters in Westeros.

demotivational-posters-arya-stark.jpg

‘Game of Thrones’ gift alert: The Iron Throne can be yours for $30,000

452858.jpg

For the past two seasons on HBO’s Game of Thrones, we’ve watched the families of Westeros battle for the questionable privilege of sitting on the Iron Throne. Have you ever found yourself thinking, “Man, I wish someone sold that really uncomfortable looking chair in real life! It would look great in my sitting room.” Well, crazy person, I’ve got good news for you.

The New York Times’ Arts Beat blog reports that HBO will now sell 350-pound replicas of the throne. Yes, for the very reasonable price of $30,000, you can rule over your own private Westeros.

HBO’s official announcement is expected for today, according to the Times, and I will update with the shop link when it’s live. Update: The replica is now available for sale on HBO.com.Please note that shipping costs an additional $1,800.

If the seven-foot-tall throne’s price is a little too steep, Iron Throne paperweights are available for $59.99.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to call my bank about a loan and my landlord about the structural integrity of my third-floor apartment.

Second, related to the purpose of the characters, why wouldn't Jagen tell Arya who he is/was as Syrio once they were free? There's no reason for him to keep that from her now as he invited her to Braavos to be her new instructor. Syrio would be more likely to follow her as she tries to find her way back to her family, and then continue the lessons. He was hired by Ned Stark and would be welcome by the Starks for defending Arya. Why would he up and abandon Arya now?

Remember Jaqen is a member of the Faceless men, hence the constant references in 3rd person, "a man" &"the girl". He wouldn't make some sweeping identity revelation to Arya.

BTW Billy, Jaqen does not worship the same God as Melisandre, he just recognizes all of the different Gods of the world.

He mentioned Arya stealing 3 deaths from the Red God because if not for her intervention, they would have burned alive, and the Red God / Lord of Light / R'hllor (in the books) is said to be found in all forms of fire.

tumblr_m43gff09pV1rtyzp1o1_1280.png

Question about Jon Snow and Qhorin. I thought Qhorin was faking a quarrel with Jon a few episodes back to fool the raiders, but did it go too far and Jon got pissed, or did Qhorin sacrifice himself so Jon could talk to Mance Raydar?

Question about Jon Snow and Qhorin. I thought Qhorin was faking a quarrel with Jon a few episodes back to fool the raiders, but did it go too far and Jon got pissed, or did Qhorin sacrifice himself so Jon could talk to Mance Raydar?

i think it's the latter.. it was to have jon be trusted by them so he can get into their HQ and learn info about them.

This thread has been derailed. But back to the point about revisionist history. Its funny how John Brown is taught as an antagonist in school when the point of his raid was to end slavery.

220px-John_Brown_daguerreotype_c1856.png

EDIT: Obviously meant for another thread. haha. I'll keep it up just kicks and giggles.

This thread has been derailed. But back to the point about revisionist history. Its funny how John Brown is taught as an antagonist in school when the point of his raid was to end slavery.

220px-John_Brown_daguerreotype_c1856.png

lol

In The Prince of Winterfell episode Qhorin tells Jon something like "When Mance marches his army, one man on the inside is worth a thousand on the Wall." That might be way off but I know for a fact he says something about having a man on the inside.

The show did a pretty bad job of conveying that Qhorin knew he was going to die at the hands of the Wildlings and wanted a man of the Night's Watch to do it before they had the chance. The actual fight played out pretty much the same way in both the book and the show. Jon realizes halfway through their fight that Qhorin isn't ******* around and will kill him if Jon doesn't kill him first. At that point they had gone too far and put on too much of a show to just be like "LOL jk"

I just got to the part in the book where Syrio was introduced

"... Nine years Syrio Forel was first sword to the Sealord of Braavos, he knows these things. Listen to him, boy." ~ Syrio, Game of Thrones p. 189

So I guess first sword was a position he used to hold but no longer did, sometime prior to his arriving in King's Landing.

Back when the rangers first captured Ygritte and Jon Snow was questioning killing her, Halfhand had her say that she knew his identity. Then he asked her what they (wildlings) would do to him if he were their prisoner.. she said something like "hand you your head, if they were feeling kind."

Jon Snow is an asset to the wildlings as Ned Stark's son. Remember when Osha and the other 2 wildlings jumped Bran on his horse ride through the Wolfswood last season, they mentioned turning him over to Mance Rayder just because he was Benjen Stark's nephew.

And Jon is a prospect for flipping to their cause.

However, the best fate the Halfhand can hope for is a brief interrogation + execution. Better to die by Jon Snow's hand, both for the cause of the Night's Watch and so that he could go out on something closer to his own terms. And the Halfhand did die hard.

"We Are the Watchers on the Wall"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyn7WOJfq8o