Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

Still haven't watched passed the Pilot of SoA. I might catch a couple more episodes tonight. Does that show get really good too?

It takes a few episodes to get its ground in season 1, but ends really strong. Season 2 is one of the best seasons of TV ever. Things get more uneven in season's 3 and 4. After Mad Men's finale next Sunday, I don't know of a single thing on TV that I'll watch till Breaking Bad.

Non Book Readers (and just-started book readers):

Now that you know what "Jaqen H'ghar" is, I'm interested to see if any of you have the same theory that a lot of book readers did when first reading about him (I personally never made the connection, I only read about it on the internet). So, anyone have any theories on who he is?

Now that you know what "Jaqen H'ghar" is, I'm interested to see if any of you have the same theory that a lot of book readers did when first reading about him (I personally never made the connection, I only read about it on the internet). So, anyone have any theories on who he is?

I was thinking that since Jaqen is a Braavosi who was in the dungeons of King's Landing, that he might be Syrio Forel. But Syrio looked like he was in a situation where he wasn't gonna be captured alive last time we saw him.

syrio-forel-respect.jpg

Non Book Readers (and just-started book readers): Now that you know what "Jaqen H'ghar" is, I'm interested to see if any of you have the same theory that a lot of book readers did when first reading about him (I personally never made the connection, I only read about it on the internet). So, anyone have any theories on who he is?

I have no idea... when I saw that my 1st thought was... go with him Arya become a badass... and then when he shapeshifted I was just like wtf...

I guess I had left the room to get something to drink but I completely missed that Robb/Talisa marriage scene the first time. Why was Robb getting married under The Seven? Starks keep the Old Gods.

Robb-And-Lady-Stark-1338798283.jpg

i think he was arya's fencing teacher.

I know this is GOT, but speaking of Son's of Anarchy, does anyone know when the new season is coming out? I'm too lazy to look, also I need something to keep my sanity while I wait for the new GOT season.

The more I see of Varys, the more I like. Seems like a decent person.

And Tyrion is officially Omar Little/Chalky White-status now.

Omar-Chalky.jpg

I know this is GOT, but speaking of Son's of Anarchy, does anyone know when the new season is coming out? I'm too lazy to look, also I need something to keep my sanity while I wait for the new GOT season.

Every season so far has started in September. Jimmy Smitts and Harold Perrineau have been announced as season 5 cast additions.

I was thinking that since Jaqen is a Braavosi who was in the dungeons of King's Landing, that he might be Syrio Forel. But Syrio looked like he was in a situation where he wasn't gonna be captured alive last time we saw him.

syrio-forel-respect.jpg

I literally didn't think of "who he really is" until this post. I obviously realized he had some sort of magical power in last night's episode, but just figured he was an assassin very good at his job before. I did think it was weird he asked Arya to come with him, but if he really is Florio it would make more sense. Well, it would still have shades of pedophile, but would make more sense.

I'm assuming there will be an eventual relationship between Arya and Gendry when she comes of age, but I think she's maybe 10 at the end of this season? Way too young.

syrio-forel-respect.jpg

I actually thought this to, actually after the instructor was supssongly killed I kept thinking of a neat way for him to have not died since we never saw the death and Jaqen fits the bill. Jaqen is able change identity to follow arya and pretends to get captured so he can keep a close eye on her and the rest pretty much is self explanitory.

I actually thought this to, actually after the instructor was supssongly killed I kept thinking of a neat way for him to have not died since we never saw the death and Jaqen fits the bill. Jaqen is able change identity to follow arya and pretends to get captured so he can keep a close eye on her and the rest pretty much is self explanitory.

Not just that but I find it sort of odd that someone with the title of First Sword of Braavos, a title that I assume is relatively important, perhaps militarily so, would find himself in King's Landing teaching a northern lord's skinny little daughter how to play with swords. I would think that he has more important things to attend to.

The only logical explanation I can come up with for why a high-ranking Braavosi would be teaching a little girl in King's Landing how to Waterdance is if a man was not a high-ranking Braavosi.

FWIW I can think of reasons Jaqen might not be Syrio, as well.

He knew Arya was a girl all along, but as Tywin proved, most intelligent people would have realized that.

I did think it was weird he asked Arya to come with him, but if he really is Florio it would make more sense.
I think Jaqen had gotten to know Arya well enough on the Kingsroad and at Harrenhall that he would have felt comfortable taking her on as his protege. Arya proved her mettle and her potential in numerous ways this season, independent of what she did last year.

Also when Jaqen changed last night, just his face and hair changed. His build and voice remained the same. Syrio had a very different overall appearance + voice.

jh_combined.gif

His voice didn't stay the same. At least not to my ears.

Plus he says "Farewell Arya Stark."

I never recall her telling him her name.

His voice didn't stay the same. At least not to my ears.

Plus he says "Farewell Arya Stark."

I never recall her telling him her name.

She didn't, but I just chalked it up to him being a sort-of all knowing badass.

She didn't, but I just chalked it up to him being a sort-of all knowing badass.

most assassins know pretty much everything especially names

Jaqen was in the dungeons at the same time as Ned. But the only way Syrio would have ended up in the dungeons is if he some how defeated/escaped from those Lannister men with only a wooden sword, and then let himself be captured by other authorities for something else, who then threw him in the dungeon. Those Lannister men weren't taking any prisoners.

I could swear the voice didn't change, but I had a strong buzz going last night so I can't say I recall for sure.

Also Jaqen laughed when Arya mentioned her "dance instructor." So I guess that's another for the "Jaqen is Syrio" column.

Also after the murders I assumed Jaqen was some kinda ninja who could bend the laws of space and time or something. Not a face-changer or whatever... didn't know that was even an option.

Jaqen was in the dungeons at the same time as Ned. But the only way Syrio would have ended up in the dungeons is if he some how defeated/escaped from those Lannister men with only a wooden sword, and then let himself be captured by other authorities for something else, who then threw him in the dungeon. Those Lannister men weren't taking any prisoners.

Yeah that's true. Just re-watched that scene and after Syrio knocks one of the Lannister guards out, Ser Meryn orders the Lannister guards to "Kill the Braavosi."

I've always thought about the last thing he says to Arya though. After Ser Meryn breaks Syrio's sword and looks like he has no chance, he asks her "What do we say to the God of Death?" and she responds with "Not today."

I've always thought that was supposed to mean something.

Yeah he is supposed to be Lorathi, but perhaps he was just born there and grew up in Braavos. He and Syrio talk the same with the whole "A girl" and "A man" instead of "you" and "me" but perhaps that's just a Braavosi colloquialism.

Yeah that's true. Just re-watched that scene and after Syrio knocks one of the Lannister guards out, Ser Meryn orders the Lannister guards to "Kill the Braavosi."

I've always thought about the last thing he says to Arya though. After Ser Meryn breaks Syrio's sword and looks like he has no chance, he asks her "What do we say to the God of Death?" and she responds with "Not today."

I've always thought that was supposed to mean something.

The biggest piece of proof pointing toward the fact that Syrio is still alive is the simple fact that we didn’t see him die, nor have had any proof that he is dead. When we last left him on GoT, page 534, Syrio was preparing to face down Meryn Trant after his wooden sword was broken. Since we see Meryn appear after the encounter but not Syrio, we assume that Syrio was killed. Meryn doesn’t seem like the type to mess around, and he did order his men to kill Syrio.

But one can doubt this. We never hear any report that he is dead. The closest confirmation that we have is something Cersei tells Tyrion on CoK, pg. 58:

“I sent Meryn Trant to take her {Arya} in hand when Robert died, but her wretched dancing master interfered and the girl fled.”

Note that Cersei says nothing to imply that Syrio was killed in the encounter. Syrio ‘interfered,’ not ‘sacrificed himself.’ Some readers have taken this to mean that Syrio did not die at Meryn’s hands, and, in fact, was placed in the black cells.

Who is Jaqen H’ghar? Is he Syrio Forel?

I could swear the voice didn't change, but I had a strong buzz going last night so I can't say I recall for sure.

Also Jaqen laughed when Arya mentioned her "dance instructor." So I guess that's another for the "Jaqen is Syrio" column.

Well he is shape shifting badass so I do not doubt he could escape with only a wooden sword. In the episode last night he pretty up disappeared and then appeared yards apart different heights in an instant.

Really could be him and at least even in the books that idea is left open which is kind of all I wanted out of it, it was a running joke with my wife that I kept saying that fencing teacher is not dead I bet he shows up at some point.