Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

Great season ending, from what my wife says several changes from the book and I like how Dany is being built up in the series as opposed to what she said happened in the book.

Why did Winterfell get burnt??

I thought there were 500 northmen outside and 20 Iron Islanders inside who were free to leave? Did the Iron Islanders decide to burn the place and fight to their deaths?

WTF AM I MISSING???

I thought there were 500 northmen outside and 20 Iron Islanders inside who were free to leave? Did the Iron Islanders decide to burn the place and fight to their deaths?

WTF AM I MISSING???

Yeah I definitely don't get it. Maybe those pirates live up to their reputation. I also want to see Theon's (hopefully gruesome and prolonged) fate.

WTF AM I MISSING???

You'll have to wait but if they stick by the book this whole thing is not really what it seemed as far as the battle goes for Winterfell. definitely something they will have to touch on next season one way or another. So yes you are missing something that should be explained later.

So...

A) they bagged Theon... presumably to turn him over to the 500 northmen waiting outside and "go home"

B )???

C) Everybody = dead or gone. Winterfell = ashes.

I mean I understand the children are children + they were upset. And Hodor is Hodor. But Osha couldn't have been like "hey, maester Luwin, what happened?" The writers/director presented that whole part weird.. not like it was a mystery, but like a scene or piece of information was missing.

I mean I understand the children are children + they were upset. And Hodor is Hodor. But Osha couldn't have been like "hey, maester Luwin, what happened?" The writers/director presented that whole part weird.. not like it was a mystery, but like a scene or piece of information was missing.

This is true, it was a bit frustrating to have no idea what happened/going on. Now they're headed to the wall....bad place to be about now. Man this show is amazing.

This is true, it was a bit frustrating to have no idea what happened/going on. Now they're headed to the wall....bad place to be about now. Man this show is amazing.

I kind of thought they were hiding out not far from the place where they burnt the boys bodies and everything else. I just thought the fire damage was from that. Also there's no way things could be burnt down to charred remains and old baldy still be alive bleeding out.

WOW that was a great episode i was also really confused about the burning of Winterfell it seems like the northmen would of stayed

WOW that was a great episode i was also really confused about the burning of Winterfell it seems like the northmen would of stayed

I'm going to assume that they will better explain it next season. If not, then it was piss poor writing.

Basically there isn't enough info in the show for anyone to know what happened as you have pointed, but something different happens that has it all make sense. Of course if your really curious you can spoiler yourself and search for the "sack of winterfell" on google. In my case my mouthy wife decided to blurt it out as we were watching.

tipp78 likes this

I'm going to assume that they will better explain it next season. If not, then it was piss poor writing.

It was not a gaf, or bad writing they just did not reveal what really happened on the show yet. If you were reading the book you'd flip the page, here we just have to wait 10 months. It is the nature of TV show adaptations of books

Yeah, there's a lot going on in the books that they don't have time to put into the TV show. I don't think that I'm about to tell you is any kind of spoiler--it's something that was left out of the book but doesn't give anything away--but I'm going to err on the side of caution:

In the book, Bran is a "warg" or "skinchanger"...someone who can control animals with his mind. So he often goes into a trance and "dreams" things that eventually become true. He dreamed or tranced a vision of Winterfell in ruins and when he woke, the people hiding out (there are more of them in the book than the TV show) went to the surface and found it like that.

My thoughts on the episode, and this IS a spoiler if you haven't seen the show:

F*** yeah! It's "The Walking Dead" meets "A Song of Ice and Fire"! Zombie apocalypse comes to Westeros...combining my two all-time favorite shows into one. I'm plunging ahead now to finish the next three books. I strongly suspect, based on how few chapters there are left in "A Clash of Kings", that they're already well into the third book's material. The whole "King Beyond the Wall" thing combined with the zombie army marching towards the wall and the sudden fight between Jon Snow and Halfhand tell me there's much more in the books. That whole thing seemed kind of rushed to me and I've noticed over the past two seasons that they will speed up the narrative to squeeze it into an hour-long episode. Just a guess, but I'm betting that there's a longer story that spills into the third book.

It was not a gaf, or bad writing they just did not reveal what really happened on the show yet. If you were reading the book you'd flip the page, here we just have to wait 10 months. It is the nature of TV show adaptations of books

I loved the rest of the episode but I'm chalking that part up to bad presentation.

I loved the rest of the episode but I'm chalking that part up to bad presentation.

It would have taken up to much of this episode to go into, much better to have held it over and be able to go into better detail.

It would have taken up to much of this episode to go into, much better to have held it over and be able to go into better detail.

I doubt that we get more detail on that next season. They are clearly hurrying through some of the parts of Book 2 in order to gear up to Book 3. It's a legitimate trade-off that they have to make with television, even when it's stretched out 10 episodes. But it seems to me that starting with Martin's re-write of the Battle of Blackwater Bay to a lot of the other "non-canon" changes they have made this season that the focus is on getting to the "holy s***" moments sooner rather than developing the characters and story in the next season. I'm really surprised at how closely the first season followed the book and how much this season has deviated from it. They've added some significant things not in the books:

Tywin Lannister and Arya Stark's interactions were added but a lot of the journey by Jaime Lannister back to King's Landing and Arya's flight from Harrenhal along with her interactions with Jaqen H'ghar were nothing like what were in the book. Clearly, all of these were re-written to fit into the context of the TV show because they developed far too slowly in the books to translate into TV.

THAT is how you end a ******* season.

House of the Undying, while it was nothing close to what it was in the book, still came across really good on screen.

The visual of the throne room destroyed and filled with snow was one of the more incredible images I've seen. It looked like winter finally came. Scene with Drogo and Rhaego was nice too. Really disappointed that we didn't get to see Rhaegar and Aerys Targaryen.

The Winterfell thing will eventually be explained. If they would have told the story the way it was meant to be told it would have made a lot more sense and be a lot clearer what happened.

I got a partial for the WHITE walker and the zombie horde.

I got a woody when the dragon decided to burn a b*tch.

the zombie/white walkers made me do a stone cold He*l yeah!

Jon snow not being a p*ssy for once and decided to kill someone.

Awesome finale. Gets you really excited for next season. I think they missed out on the whole prophetic (foreshadowing) purpose of her visit to the House of the Undying other than "hey look how badass my dragons are getting" but the execution was great and I think they really covered the mystery and magic aspect pretty well.

Not going to lie, that last ten minutes had me thinking of The Walking Dead as well. (seriously combine Zombies and Swords does it get any better?) So freaking awesome we finally got to see a White Walker. Even having read the book it was hard for me to guess exactly what they looked like.

Awesome finale. Gets you really excited for next season. I think they missed out on the whole prophetic (foreshadowing) purpose of her visit to the House of the Undying other than "hey look how badass my dragons are getting" but the execution was great and I think they really covered the mystery and magic aspect pretty well.

Yeah I don't get why the HotU was so short. The visions and prophecies that she sees while there are what haunt all of her decisions in the later books.