Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

Just watched the episode again, so good. Against, still confused why Cersei got so much screen time in that episode. Also, I did realize this go-round that you can clearly tell it's Tywin's army that rides up behind Stannis' troops on the beach.

Glad next week we'll finally see Dany go into the House of the Undying. I'm expecting some freaky ****. Dany's character has been a huge disappointment this season. I understand they're trying to develop her character from the scared little girl we met in the first episode, but she came a long way in season 1 alone. She hasn't done any real growing this season, and has only developed "targaryen tourettes" as shot so artfully put it. I guess she truly is the biggest threat to the throne now.

Did Stannis' men pull him away at the end, or was he captured by Lannister forces?

Just watched the episode again, so good. Against, still confused why Cersei got so much screen time in that episode. Also, I did realize this go-round that you can clearly tell it's Tywin's army that rides up behind Stannis' troops on the beach.

Glad next week we'll finally see Dany go into the House of the Undying. I'm expecting some freaky ****. Dany's character has been a huge disappointment this season. I understand they're trying to develop her character from the scared little girl we met in the first episode, but she came a long way in season 1 alone. She hasn't done any real growing this season, and has only developed "targaryen tourettes" as shot so artfully put it. I guess she truly is the biggest threat to the throne now.

Did Stannis' men pull him away at the end, or was he captured by Lannister forces?

he was pulled by his men.. you can tell by the helmets they were wearing

Billy Ocean likes this

I really liked the Cersei/Sansa scenes.

It's the first time throughout the first 2 seasons that I felt Cersei was accurately portrayed. Her apathetic cruelty, her bitterness at not having a **** between her legs, and an almost dangerous level of over-protection when it comes to her children, even when one of those children is a king who needs to be with his people. The scene with her and Tommen on the Iron Throne was almost heartbreaking.

Lena Headey has been the best actor on the show this season in my opinion.

re: Cersei and Sansa...

The first thing to say about this week’s episode, “Blackwater,” is that it was written by Martin himself. There’s no guarantee that the original creator of a story won’t fiddle with it to its detriment (just look at George Lucas), but in this case Martin does an exemplary job of adapting his tale to the screen, in a way that we hope will serve as a model for future episodes....

.... The changes from the books this week are fairly minor and consistently prudent, so there’s nowhere near as much for a book geek to complain about as there usually is. Rather than identify some of the biggest changes, as we usually do, we’ll cover the episode in a more chronological way this week....

....The scenes in Maegor’s holdfast, where Cersei is sequestered along with Sansa and other noblewomen, follow the books more closely than any other part of this episode: The dialog here is largely word-for-word from A Clash of Kings.Cersei’s characterization has seemed a bit wobbly this season, with her often coming across as uncharacteristically nice or vulnerable. No fear of that here, as she proceeds to get drunk and verbally torment Sansa in hilarious fashion...

http://www.wired.com...nes-blackwater/

I found this^^^ series of reviews today..

Each week on Wired.com, we break down the new episode in comparison to the books and try to gauge whether the changes constitute wise adaptation or pointless tampering. http://www.wired.com...ame-of-thrones/

.. it seems to just tell how what we see differs from book events, as opposed to informing the review with spoilers/references from future books.. so I don't consider it to be as "spoilery" as what I'm generally trying to avoid on the internet with GoT.

The review told how Varys was castrated and how the logistics of the battle differed from the book battle.

This seems to be the biggest change in the battle logistics..

(In the books, Tyrion also orders that a massive chain be built across the harbor mouth, which is then raised behind Stannis’ fleet, trapping them. It’s a cool idea and would have been nice to see, but the scene plays out just fine without it.)

Each week on Wired.com, we break down the new episode in comparison to the books and try to gauge whether the changes constitute wise adaptation or pointless tampering. http://www.wired.com...ame-of-thrones/

.. it seems to just tell how what we see differs from book events, as opposed to informing the review with spoilers/references from future books.. so I don't consider it to be as "spoilery" as what I'm generally trying to avoid on the internet with GoT.

The review told how Varys as castrated and how the logistics of the battle differed from the book battle.

(In the books, Tyrion also orders that a massive chain be built across the harbor mouth, which is then raised behind Stannis’ fleet, trapping them. It’s a cool idea and would have been nice to see, but the scene plays out just fine without it.)

I thought Martin did a masterful job re-writing the entire battle of Blackwater Bay without that and condensing it into a single epic scene with the wildfire. Easily one of the best scenes in all of TV history. This series is so freaking good that I'm wondering whether to finish the second book before the season finale next week. They really mixed up the timeline from the books and I'm no longer sure where to stop to let the TV series catch up now. In the books, the mother of dragons has already gone through the hall of the undying. No spoilers, just saying.

The review told how Varys was castrated and how the logistics of the battle differed from the book battle.

I thought they were going to work the spoiler into the story when Tyrion told the pyro-maester "now you work for me", but then when we saw Varys and Tyrion talking atop the castle looking out over a broad expanse of sea, I figured it was a dead concept.

Pre-ordered/ordered Breaking Bad Season 4 Blu-ray and A Game of Thrones: "A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1" [Paperback] on Amazon tonight.

There's literally nothing I plan to watch on TV between the season finale of Mad Men the week after GoT's finale and the season premiere of Breaking Bad Season 5 on July 15. So hopefully I'll be able to do a good bit of reading in that month+.

I thought they were going to work the spoiler into the story when Tyrion told the pyro-maester "now you work for me", but then when we saw Varys and Tyrion talking atop the castle looking out over a broad expanse of sea, I figured it was a dead concept.

Yeah, they would have had to extensively CGI the spoiler, and in any event I really don't know how well that whole concept would have visually and logistically come across to TV viewers with the battle being at night and, as you mentioned, in such an expansive bay.

so book guys.. any dire wolf kills coming? don't tell me when or whom.. just will there be any?

Right!? I want to see me some dire wolfs...I was wondering what was up with Snow's wolf just leaving him like that, hoping he shows up to save the day.

Right!? I want to see me some dire wolfs...I was wondering what was up with Snow's wolf just leaving him like that, hoping he shows up to save the day.

that would be amazing just like tyrions squire saving the day.

Just got back from a camping trip and was finally able to watch it. That just might be my favorite episode yet. I was nervous the battle wouldn't live up to the hype but **** that was cool as ****.

Can't wait to see how they tackle the house of the undying.

i haven't read the books at all, but why didn't sansa leave to get back to her family? i just don't get her reasoning.. is that part of the books and do they explain why she did that?

Just got back from a camping trip and was finally able to watch it. That just might be my favorite episode yet. I was nervous the battle wouldn't live up to the hype but **** that was cool as ****.

Can't wait to see how they tackle the house of the undying.

yeah i was wondering how they would have done that battle and it was terrific.

i haven't read the books at all, but why didn't sansa leave to get back to her family? i just don't get her reasoning.. is that part of the books and do they explain why she did that?

Mostly fear I think. The hound was really really drunk and is somewhat obnoxious even forcing her to sing for him. I think he might have even threatened her with violence at one point but I doubt he really meant it. (Then again its hard to tell with the Hound) Plus I think she was still hopeful that Stannis would win the day and she could bear witness to Joffery's downfall.

She really ends up regretting her decision later

That was so cool that they included the Rains of Castamere for the credits .

you can make an argument that they should have waited to play it for the Red Wedding, but it defiantly still fit this episode

Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a metal version of the Bear and the Maiden Fair though tongue.png

EDIT:

Well I thought I was joking but I just found this on youtube..... :lol:

so book guys.. any dire wolf kills coming? don't tell me when or whom.. just will there be any?

A lot of what happens with the wolves is not making it onto the screen. Arya's wolf, Nymeria is mentioned occasionally as leading a fearsome pack in the Riverlands. Jon's wolf, Snow was attacked and injured by an eagle (skinchanger) prior to Jon's capture by wildings
Jimsmusic™ likes this

Sansa looks at everything happening around her as some kind of hidden loyalty test.

Finally got around to watching this last night, hands down the best episode of the season.

Tyrion's speech was awesome.

hopefully he'll finally get his dam respect from that awesome scar.. and rallying the troops when the "king" pussied out and ran away.. and the sneak attack.

Casting Speculation for Season 3

There is good and bad about the ending of each Game of Thrones season. The bad is that in less than two weeks another 10 episodes has gone and we have to wait a whole freaking year for the next time we’ll get to visit the most riveting characters and stories put to screen. The good is that now with the confirmation of season 3, we can begin the year long obsession with casting for characters we’ve never seen in the show. In a way it’s a coping mechanism for fans of the show and the books going through Thrones withdrawal. The issue of casting speculation usually consumes book readers or daring, non-reader fans of the show who care to “look-ahead” to the next installment of the series. It’s difficult to say if this area of speculation is spoiler territory so read on at your own risk if you don’t want major or minor characters and plot-lines to be revealed.

Last year around this time audition and casting calls went out from GoT headquarters in Belfast and the year before that some rare audition tapes were unearthed and put up on the web. The first round of audition speculation comes by way of Riverrun in Westeros, the home of Lady Catelyn Stark’s family House Tully. We have yet to see any of the auburn-haired Tullys in the first or second season thus far, much to the dismay of many fans of the books. Speculation about the casting of Cat’s brother Edmure, their uncle the Blackfish, Brynden Tully and even Cat’s father Lord Hoster Tully have almost reached a fever pitch on various fan boards. Now it appears that we have an answer to the question about seeing any of the Tully’s on screen. With the cutting and merging of characters so far in the series it’s difficult to tell if your favorite character however minor or major from the book will even show up.

WinterisComing.net posted an article recently of a found audition tape by one of their astute twitter followers of an Irish actor reading for the role of Edmure Tully. The video was posted to vimeo and taken down shortly thereafter once the buzz started escalating on the inter-webs, but I did get to watch the video a couple of times before it was removed. The excitement was not over the actor’s performance, which was fine, but the affirmation that the character will be cast for season 3 and if the off-camera dialogue spoken in the film is any indication that its highly possible that the fan-favorite Blackfish will also be cast. I’m not a huge Blackfish fan, but I can somewhat understand his appeal. There is speculation to the character’s sexuality that is always fun to look for clues in the series but to give you any more information would definitely be spoilerific.

More interesting to me was the announcement the next day from the Extras NI (Northern Ireland) that sought out some specific requirements from extras for its season 3 casting call. Descriptions of note include “men or women that are over 18 and that are under 5ft in height.” Now to a non-reader that could sound like they might be casting possibly for a little person posse for Tyrion, which would be incredible, but wrong. There are some theories including some very spoilery thoughts about casting a certain eunuch army but more tantalizing speculation is the prospect of casting the Crannogmen by way of Greywater watch, a short in stature people that are sworn bannermen to the Starks. There are probably no two characters omission from the series as widely discussed as the teenage Reed siblings, Meera and Jojen who meet up with Bran and mentor him on his “spiritual journey.” I can attest to the fan obsession with the Reeds, they are an interesting pair that through Jojen helps Bran connect to his dreams and connection to his direwolf Summer. Meera, the 16-year old sister armed with a frogspear and a net reminds me a lot of Arya in her very un-ladylike personality and huntress set of skills. The Reeds are supposed to be short in stature so the under 5ft stipulation to the casting call could very well be the sign that the series will feature the Reeds and possibly other Crannogmen in the series. Nothing will be a sure thing until a lot closer to the next season’s start date next spring but I’m guessing more and more information will leak out about casting in the time between to fuel our speculation commentary.

Interestingly to add to the theory that fandom can influence casting choices or at least in this case prompting an audition, Norwegian actor Kristopher Hivju was rumored to be auditioning for an unnamed role in the series a few weeks back. According to an interview with the actor on a Norwegian talk show that was just not true but word of the rumor did get to his agent and supposedly that led to the agent submitting Hivju for a part in the series. Hivju says in the interview that his audition went well and that they wanted to see more of him but no confirmations have been made. Judging by his picture the actor would make a great addition and that beard belongs in the Smithsonian case entitled “epic beards.” I’d like to see him get a meaty Wildling role but could also see him playing a member of the Tully family (red hair) if he can do the accent.

And finally just within the last few days another actor has tweeted confirmation about an audition for the show. Actor Cas Anvar mentioned in his tweet that he was auditioning for Game of Thrones and asked his fans to wish him luck before commenting he should head to the gym. Hmm, Anvar, who played Said’s brother in the series Lost has a distinct ethnic look about him that could hint at his casting might be for a character from Dorne or a colorful sellsword on the other side of the map. I think there’s a good chance he could land the role as his twitter profile has him holding a sword! Coincidence?

I originally had the stance to ignore casting rumors and speculation theories put forth by fans to fully embrace final casting decision by the show by trusting David and Dan, the show’s creators. It’s also interesting that many of my favorite actors performances in the series have been mainly relatively unknown (i.e. Emilia Clarke, Maisie Williams, and Gwendoline Christie) so putting forth guesses for quasi celebrities for possible roles like wanting Antonio Banderas, Cillian Murphy, and even former HBO series Rome star James Purefoy might not always make the best choice. Sometimes having a well known actor in the role is distracting where an unknown can really inhabit the character without any baggage from previous films or TV shows. Sean Bean ran a risk of that phenomenon last season from previously starring in the Lord of the Rings films but his incredible performance as Ned Stark now overshadows Boromir but sadly his internet meme will probably outlive both roles. I will admit putting forth casting suggestions is pretty fun so after the season wraps we might start so clear out a spot on the casting hearth.

Game of Thrones Season 3 has been confirmed but casting speculation continues around the web for the new characters. Feel free to leave us a comment below with your own thoughts for all of the new characters we’ll meet next season.