Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

I'm trying to curb my expectations a bit, but thank the old gods and the new we didn't get this bullsh*t..

(Page 3 of 3)

Going from page to shooting to editing, has anything significant changed along the way?

Benioff: Yes. First of all, we almost had no battle at all. For budgetary reasons we came very, very close to having all the action take place off-screen, the way plays have handled battle scenes for a few thousand years. The idea was [MINOR SPOILER ALERT] that we’d set most of the episode in Maegor’s Holdfast. Cersei and Sansa would be cooped up in there with the other noblewomen and children, hearing occasional reports from the battlements.

Given how good Lena and Sophie are, we could probably have made a decent episode, but we didn’t want to do it that way. Last year we had to cut a battle we wanted to shoot, and the Battle of Blackwater Bay is far more important. To our minds, the entire season builds to this clash, and if we didn’t see any of it, we were undercutting the story and short-changing the audience.

I might have quit watching if we would have got that. I'm willing to accept that they're not going to show the big Blackwater naval battle, but if we got nothing but Cersei and Sansa in a room with people giving them updates I would have nerd-raged.

Sunday, 12 February 2012

HBO on the Battle of the Blackwater (and Dunk 'n' Egg)

An interesting comment by Game of Thrones co-producer Vince Gerardis: the Battle of the Blackwater will last 16 minutes of the penultimate episode of Season 2.

Battle%2Bof%2Bthe%2BBlackwater.jpg

This is an interesting figure. The Battle of Philippi, the largest previous attempt by HBO to depict a massive battle sequence on a regular series (on Rome), lasted for nine and a half minutes. The opening D-Day sequence in Saving Private Ryan lasted about fifteen minutes. The opening battle in Gladiator lasted just under ten minutes. The battle for control of Babylon 5 in the Severed Dreams episode of that series lasted six minutes.

Sixteen minutes - more than a quarter of the episode - is an impressive amount. I wouldn't be expecting anything on the lines of a major movie action sequence, but it'll be interesting to see if HBO are opening the purse strings a little more this season (not they didn't have a big budget last year, but they certainly weren't getting the most bang for their buck).

The episode in question - Blackwater - is written by George R.R. Martin and directed by Neil Marshall (The Descent, Centurion) and should air (barring delays) on 27 May in the USA and 28 May in the UK.

In the same interview, Gerardis also says that HBO are holding the three (soon to be four) Dunk 'n' Egg prequel novellas in reserve for another two years or so. This suggests that HBO have a gameplan for using the novellas to flesh out their Game of Thrones content. Pure speculation, but it's possible they are thinking of using them as a spin-off series (Dunk and Egg wandering the Seven Kingdoms is actually a solid premise for an ongoing TV series), for between-season straight-to-DVD movies, or as stopgaps if they have to delay the main series for whatever reason (akin to what Starz did with the Spartacus: Gods of the Arena mini-series when the main series had to be delayed for a year).

Amendment: According to Westeros.org, Gerardis's comments were mistranslated (the interview was originally in Portuguese). Gerardis stated that the battle took up a sizable portion of the episode and is 'fantastic' but is still being produced with TV budgetary and time constraints and wishes they could have done more. He also stated that the prequel novellas are being looked at and hopefully in a couple of years HBO will be able to do something with them, but for the moment are concentrating on the main series.

Have never read the Dunk n' Egg novellas, but they apparently give a pretty good insight into some pre-SoIaF stuff, although not much. They're pretty much self-contained stories set 100 years before the events of Game Of Thrones. I don't believe there are any huge battles or monumental moments that are covered in those short stories although there are some references to them.

16 minutes of war is incredible though if that holds true. It should be the biggest battle ever shot for a television show.

One of the things Waterworld taught me is that filming on water is hella expensive. I don't know how epic the big naval battle in the book is, but I expect we'll at least get a decent pared down version...

Benioff: There was a good deal of pressure to turn Blackwater into a land battle. The Battle of the Blackwater Banks, I guess. And we understood the technical reasons why that would help our cause: land battles are much easier to shoot than naval battles.

Weiss: But we’ve seen so many pitched battles in epic fantasies, and relatively few naval battles (probably because most people making epic fantasies are smarter than we are and know to avoid them). And the split between army power and navy power is central to George’s story and the whole dynamic between Stannis and Renly (and indirectly central to the Tyrion storyline as well). Going with the exclusively land battle route would ultimately have meant rewriting the whole season.

So we had to perform triage on the battle, determine what we could save and what had to go by the wayside. Quite a bit had to go, including some stuff we absolutely hated to lose. But it was really about keeping the heart of it intact, preserving the core elements that would give the episode the impact we need. In our unbiased opinion, we think that we – the collective ‘we,’ the team of hundreds and hundreds of people who worked like dogs on this thing into the wee hours of many, many nights – we think that we created an intense, dramatic battle.

Have never read the Dunk n' Egg novellas, but they apparently give a pretty good insight into some pre-SoIaF stuff, although not much. They're pretty much self-contained stories set 100 years before the events of Game Of Thrones. I don't believe there are any huge battles or monumental moments that are covered in those short stories although there are some references to them.

16 minutes of war is incredible though if that holds true. It should be the biggest battle ever shot for a television show.

Speaking of Dunk 'n Egg stories is Old Nan dead already?? Haven't seen her in season 2. That old bird could tell a mean White Walkers story when Brann got tired of hearing about Dunk 'n Egg.

2H2F5.jpg

I honestly can't remember when she dies.

Unfortunately, the actress who plays her has, which is why we haven't seen her this season.

They should have consulted with Peter Weir on how he managed to film the incredible naval battles in Master and Commander with a mere $150 million budget. I would have thought that movie cost at least $100 mill more to make than it actually did.

GoT has to be a bigger money maker for HBO than The Pacific was. But I don't remember the producers of The Pacific having to come to HBO, hat in hand, begging for battle scene money. I guess that's because Tom Hanks and Dreamworks have deeper pockets though.

Philippi was great, but it was dudes fighting in a giant valley or something.. which has to be a lot easier to CGI than Blackwater Bay and King's Landing.

0.jpg

As I've mentioned HBO was only halving the budget on Rome. And at the very end of the series, they didn't show the naval battle of Actium, where Antony and Cleopatra's navy was destroyed by Octavian's forces.

I honestly can't remember when she dies.

Unfortunately, the actress who plays her has, which is why we haven't seen her this season.

RIP.

Old Nan is a recurring character in the first season. She was played by Margaret John and debuts in "Lord Snow." Margaret John passed away on 2 February 2011, after the completion of filming for the first season. According to the writers the character passed away between the first and second season.[1] Old Nan is an elderly storyteller at Winterfell.

http://gameofthrones...om/wiki/Old_Nan

He (Hodor) is actually Old Nan's great-grandson and only living relative.

http://gameofthrones....com/wiki/Hodor

Yeah well in 5-10 years we're going to see television become the preferred medium over cinema, it's inevitable. You've got more time for character and story development, and television is definitely the superior medium as far as suspense/drama goes.

I predict that in the next decade, we're going to see TV shows with $150-200 million budgets.

Largely due to the fact that with the technology available, you can easily build yourself an awesome theater-style entertainment room for a lot cheaper than you could a few years ago and with the advent of plasma and HD screens it's just so much better to sit down and watch a movie in your basement with a few friends than it is to go to a theater.

Another thing that's going to kill the theater experience is cost. The last time I was in a theater was to see The Town and that cost $11.25. Eleven dollars and twenty five ******* cents to see a movie. That **** was like $5.99 when I went to see Jurassic Park 19 times during the summer of '94.

So TV is eventually going to dominate, especially when it comes to adapting novels, which require a good bit more character development than original Hollywood movie scripts do. I also expect to see an adaptation of a major comic book character soon. It was attempted first with disastrous results with Blade, but I imagine someone will eventually be smarter about it.

Yeah well in 5-10 years we're going to see television become the preferred medium over cinema, it's inevitable. You've got more time for character and story development, and television is definitely the superior medium as far as suspense/drama goes.

I predict that in the next decade, we're going to see TV shows with $150-200 million budgets.

Largely due to the fact that with the technology available, you can easily build yourself an awesome theater-style entertainment room for a lot cheaper than you could a few years ago and with the advent of plasma and HD screens it's just so much better to sit down and watch a movie in your basement with a few friends than it is to go to a theater.

Another thing that's going to kill the theater experience is cost. The last time I was in a theater was to see The Town and that cost $11.25. Eleven dollars and twenty five ******* cents to see a movie. That **** was like $5.99 when I went to see Jurassic Park 19 times during the summer of '94.

So TV is eventually going to dominate, especially when it comes to adapting novels, which require a good bit more character development than original Hollywood movie scripts do. I also expect to see an adaptation of a major comic book character soon. It was attempted first with disastrous results with Blade, but I imagine someone will eventually be smarter about it.

I used to go to the movies at least once a month in my late teens and early 20's. I've been to less than 10 movies total since 2004.

It's just an inconvenience watching sh-t in a theater anymore. Plus movies suck a lot more now.

I'm gonna pre-order Breaking Bad Season 4. I'm counting on you to watch that sh-t post haste when it drops on 6/5 so we can commence discussion.

I used to go to the movies at least once a month in my late teens and early 20's. I've been to less than 10 movies total since 2004.

It's just an inconvenience watching sh-t in a theater anymore. Plus movies suck a lot more now.

I'm gonna pre-order Breaking Bad Season 4. I'm counting on you to watch that sh-t post haste when it drops on 6/5 so we can commence discussion.

This. I told Shot I've literally been waiting years for him to starting watching BB.

Just waiting for S4 to get here. I could have seen it by now I'm sure but my strict no-piracy code has kind of prevented me from doing so.

Most of all I'm just curious to know what Walt's endgame is now. Especially now that (As of the season 3 finale) it looks as though his cancer is in complete remission. I just want to know why the **** he is continuing to do this and I imagine it's expanded upon in S4. I'm also curious as to why his wife seems so eager to help him. She offers to help him launder money and I'm just curious as to why. Does she find it hot or what?

That's as far as I can discuss right now. I'm chewing through nails waiting to watch Season 4. I've never been this anxious for a show since I caught up with Lost during its last season and had to wait a week like everyone else to watch new episodes.

Just waiting for S4 to get here. I could have seen it by now I'm sure but my strict no-piracy code has kind of prevented me from doing so.

Most of all I'm just curious to know what Walt's endgame is now. Especially now that (As of the season 3 finale) it looks as though his cancer is in complete remission. I just want to know why the **** he is continuing to do this and I imagine it's expanded upon in S4. I'm also curious as to why his wife seems so eager to help him. She offers to help him launder money and I'm just curious as to why. Does she find it hot or what?

That's as far as I can discuss right now. I'm chewing through nails waiting to watch Season 4. I've never been this anxious for a show since I caught up with Lost during its last season and had to wait a week like everyone else to watch new episodes.

come to the free side shot.

It's been a little while since I've watched season 3, but it seems like Skyler just more or less comes to the conclusion that she can't really escape from Walt and what he's done so she decides to just make the best of it. There might be something more specefic motivation-wise, but if so I'm just not remembering. I know she wanted to be able to pay for Hank's medical bills.

BTW the scene where Skyler meets Saul and he goes into his money laundering 101 explanation is one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed. Just beginning to end, top to bottom hilarity.

"Walter never told me how lucky he was. Clearly his taste in women is the same as his taste in lawyers : only the very best... with just a right amount of dirty!"

By season 3, and especially season 4, basically the entire cast except for the baby has "broken bad." Skylar does want to help pay for Hank's bills, but she, like Walt, gets greedy after getting a taste of the money it brings in. Season 4 is incredible, you're going to love it.

1 day and 7 hours 30 mins til the best battle on TV.

It's all I can do to not read ahead in the book. I forced myself to stop after the chapter with the naval battle a few days ago and the suspense has been killing me.

I'm going to lurch ahead to the third and fourth books after the season is over, but for now I'm following the TV show first and catching up with the books later. Ugh. Can't wait.

It's all I can do to not read ahead in the book. I forced myself to stop after the chapter with the naval battle a few days ago and the suspense has been killing me.

I'm going to lurch ahead to the third and fourth books after the season is over, but for now I'm following the TV show first and catching up with the books later. Ugh. Can't wait.

I plan to start reading Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings this summer. Then I plan to quit and read along with A Storm of Swords as the third season airs. I'll have to see how stopping goes though... might be too hard not to keep going.

Tyrion-Joffrey-Killed-1337583124.jpg

Jimsmusic™ likes this