Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

I agree for the most part on the bore factor although the scene with Tyrion and Cersei, like all of their scenes together, delivered once again.

I just think this week needed to setup certain events and kind of explain a few other before the big battle. In a narrative like this I'm certainly ok with not every episode being a whiz bang huge monster one. I still enjoyed it, as the writing and character development is always very good.

2 hours? so next weeks episode will be 2 hours?

2 more shows this season I'd expect both of them to heavily deal with the battle about to hit.

2 more shows this season I'd expect both of them to heavily deal with the battle about to hit.

Next week is the Battle of Blackwater Bay. The season finale will be the aftermath of that battle.

Boring episode in my opinion, but the cinematography continues to be the greatest that television has ever seen.

The preview for next week gave me chills.

I disagree about it being boring. Lots of great character interactions in this episode. Jamie and Brienne's scene was great, as was Tyrion and Cersei and Tyrion and Varys. The end was a "whoah" moment also.

I never bought into it, myself. The real mystery for me was whether Theon knew the truth or not, and apparently he did. Also, I thought the special effects for the bodies was kind of weak. Not realistic at all. I'm hoping they were saving the budget for the Battle of Blackwater Bay, which looks like it's going to be freaking awesome.

That part I don't get. I assume it will explain, but I'm very confused as to whether Theon knows or not, or if he just butchered the farmer's kids and said they were the Starks to save face. Brann and Rickon don't know the farmer's kids were killed, so there was obviously not a deal made between them and Theon to return to Winterfell.

I disagree about it being boring. Lots of great character interactions in this episode. Jamie and Brienne's scene was great, as was Tyrion and Cersei and Tyrion and Varys. The end was a "whoah" moment also.

Yep, it was a more subtle episode but well done none the less. I'm glad that not every episode is just nudity, death, explosions etc. GOT does these well but the writing and character interaction is what really makes it different from the typical crap being put on TV these days.

It was a good subtle episode to setup the war.

In the context of the show, where is Ghost while Jon is captured by the Lord of Bones? I'll have to watch the replay but I don't believe I see him. In the book series he accompanies him during his "captivity".

At this stage of the book, the relationship between Jon and Ghost was really being defined, but the producers have chosen to ignore that. I guess the skinchanger ability will be dealt with through Bran only. They must have decided it would take too much screen time to flesh that ability out in 2 characters with only 10 episodes.

That part I don't get. I assume it will explain, but I'm very confused as to whether Theon knows or not, or if he just butchered the farmer's kids and said they were the Starks to save face. Brann and Rickon don't know the farmer's kids were killed, so there was obviously not a deal made between them and Theon to return to Winterfell.

Yep did not even think about that, lots of layers just in this one part, did he know and want to just use them as an example, is he really an idiot and did not know? Even though he actually knew the children? Could he not bring himself to do it and is finally showing regrets from turning on the starks?

Did you not notice Theon giving Dagmar a pouch of gold for the farmer?

Did you not notice Theon giving Dagmar a pouch of gold for the farmer?

Ehh . . . I think so. So the farmer sold his kids to Theon to be mutilated and burned?

No. Theon was trying to ease his guilt.

Ahh, I see. That reminds me, the scene between his sister and him in the dining hall was a good one as well.

Ahh, I see. That reminds me, the scene between his sister and him in the dining hall was a good one as well.

It's all good stuff. The hour goes by so fast. Too bad they can't afford more than 10 episodes per year.

I was disappointed that we never actually got to see Jaqen kill anyone. I wanted them to show how absolutely ruthless and dangerous he is. Arya's escape from Harrenhal was a sputtering fizzle. I wanted to see them fighting their way out.

In semi-related GOT news, like Jon Snow I have recently "taken the Black." Switched to black coffee from cream and sugar. Kinda like scotch, have to get used to it.

Yeah, I know. Cool story, Bro.

Sepinwall's latest review covers some of the concerns about episodes being overly "talky" and lacking in action..

Two episodes to go this season. The ninth and tenth episodes of season 1 are where the series really seemed to take the leap from good to great. It's entirely possible that the events coming up in the next two weeks — and the ways that Benioff and Weiss have chosen to depict them — will make much of this piece-moving seem worth it, in the same way that certain "slow" episodes of "The Wire" would always prove to be essential in hindsight.

http://www.hitfix.co...ell-fear-itself

... Episodes like this and the previous lay the groundwork so that when major events or shifts do occur, it's all the more rewarding and meaningful.

It's all good stuff. The hour goes by so fast. Too bad they can't afford more than 10 episodes per year.

Benioff and Weiss have said that there isn't enough time to make more than 10 episodes.

I was disappointed that we never actually got to see Jaqen kill anyone. I wanted them to show how absolutely ruthless and dangerous he is. Arya's escape from Harrenhal was a sputtering fizzle. I wanted to see them fighting their way out.

Given the circumstances surrounding Jaqen's killings of The Ticker and Armory Lorch and Jaqen's worship of the same god as Melisandre, I had been getting the impression that Jaqen is using some sorta magic or something. And that hunch was reinforced with how Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie found things at the gate last night.

In semi-related GOT news, like Jon Snow I have recently "taken the Black." Switched to black coffee from cream and sugar. Kinda like scotch, have to get used to it.

Black coffee is the only way to go. Pretty soon you won't be able to stand drinking it with anything in it.

I hear the Kardashian sisters have "taken the black" as well

Jimsmusic™ and Billy Ocean like this