Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

There's definitely that too. The Hound has done terrible things, but the look on his face in the season finale last year when the Freys paraded the Robb/Grey Wind grotesquerie around spoke volumes. He does have some sort of moral center, and for all his threats and tough talk towards both Sansa and Arya, he never follows through on any of them because he's been trying to put on a front his entire life. He's a decent guy with a soft spot for helpless young girls for a reason that I won't give because I don't know whether the show is going to touch on it or not.

He's one of my favorite characters in the books and the show.

Edited to clarify that I meant The Hound's tough talk towards Sansa and Arya is what he never follows through on, because he definitely follows through on it for everyone else.

Yeah...even though I missed the quote, that was my original point. He wouldn't admit it I'm sure but I think he has a good heart and I think he has grown fond of her.

She's obviously more of a man than a lot of fighters he's been around...I can see he's impressed by her fighting spirit.

I just finished watching the episode for a 3rd time (Obsess much?), and only now noticed the somewhat graceful way in which Arya hamstrings Polliver. It's very Syrio Forell, waterdancer-esque, and she even ends it in a pose like a ballet dancer would. Pretty awesome detail.

AF89, Goal Line D and Joremarid like this

I just finished watching the episode for a 3rd time (Obsess much?), and only now noticed the somewhat graceful way in which Arya hamstrings Polliver. It's very Syrio Forell, waterdancer-esque, and she even ends it in a pose like a ballet dancer would. Pretty awesome detail.

Watching Polliver's demise was one of the more satisfying moments of the whole series so far.

Watching Polliver's demise was one of the more satisfying moments of the whole series so far.

Agreed. There's a whole movement of limpwrists on the internet who want to try to paint this scene as some sort of depressing tragedy.

Forgive me for not getting my feels all busted up over Arya becoming a cold and detached killer. She has suffered an inordinate amount of tragic injustice, and House Stark is in desperate need of someone breaking away from their remarkable stupidity to right the wrongs.

If Bruce Wayne and V had a love child, it would be Arya Stark.

Joremarid and Goal Line D like this

Agreed. There's a whole movement of limpwrists on the internet who want to try to paint this scene as some sort of depressing tragedy.

Forgive me for not getting my feels all busted up over Arya becoming a cold and detached killer. She has suffered an inordinate amount of tragic injustice, and House Stark is in desperate need of someone breaking away from their remarkable stupidity to right the wrongs.

If Bruce Wayne and V had a love child, it would be Arya Stark.

Not to mention all the torture at Harrenhal she endured and the show completely skipped.

Not to mention all the torture at Harrenhal she endured and the show completely skipped.

The #1 reason why I hated Season 2.

Was it awesome seeing Maisie hold her own against the incredible Charles Dance? Absolutely. Was it to the complete detriment to a crucial part of her character development? Certainly.

The constant beatings that Arya suffers at Harrenhal are such a powerful catalyst in her shifting to such an emotionless and empty person. They missed the boat big time on that story line, in favor of having Unca Tywin bounce her on his knee for a couple episodes.

In the context of the show, Arya's actions could almost be characterized as being psychotically out of character. If they had chosen to depict her torturous stay at Harrenhal correctly, I think more people would be accepting of her eventual character arc.

Having not read the books I had a feeling the Harrenhal experience was absolutely miserable for Arya. They just kinda hit the tip of the iceberg of the cruelties the place provided when they arrived but then that was it. Agree it could have been built up more.

The #1 reason why I hated Season 2.

Think they really screwed up the "reek" story too, but I understand not wanting to cast a person for it. That was one of my favorite parts of the 2nd book.

FalconState likes this

Think they really screwed up the "reek" story too, but I understand not wanting to cast a person for it. That was one of my favorite parts of the 2nd book.

And there's my #2 reason. In order they are as follows:

#1: F***ing up Arya's storyline.

#2: The absence of the Ramsay Snow reveal

#3: That laughably pathetic excuse for Daenerys' trip to the House of the Undying.

House of the undying was awful in the show. Such a let down. But speaking of reek, "his" chapters in aDwD are fantastic. Really looking forward to the

reek> ghost of winterfell> prince of winterfell > theon transformation

House of the undying was awful in the show. Such a let down. But speaking of reek, "his" chapters in aDwD are fantastic. Really looking forward to the

reek> ghost of winterfell> prince of winterfell > theon transformation

House of the Undying was one of my "Top of the list, must get right" scenes and they butchered it like a ******** pig.

I hate book purists with a passion, but there are absolutely certain beats that I feel are crucial for them to hit, and HotU was one of them that they struck out with the bases loaded on. We had to swim through that insufferably stupid fanfic storyline for Daenerys all season long and they ended it with a long, wet fart. It took me a long time to get over that.

And there's my #2 reason. In order they are as follows:

#1: F***ing up Arya's storyline.

#2: The absence of the Ramsay Snow reveal

#3: That laughably pathetic excuse for Daenerys' trip to the House of the Undying.

4. Arya's escape from Harenhal.

House of the Undying was one of my "Top of the list, must get right" scenes and they butchered it like a ******** pig.

I hate book purists with a passion, but there are absolutely certain beats that I feel are crucial for them to hit, and HotU was one of them that they struck out with the bases loaded on. We had to swim through that insufferably stupid fanfic storyline for Daenerys all season long and they ended it with a long, wet fart. It took me a long time to get over that.

I guess in their defense it would have been hard to do it right without spoiling the red wedding, but that doesn't excuse leaving the rest out.

4. Arya's escape from Harenhal.

That would be covered in my #1. It is meant to convey my complete displeasure with her entire stay at Harrenhal.

My #4 would be the show deciding to do away with the Bloody Mummers.

That was such a great opportunity for them to introduce a band of complete psychopaths different from anything that we had ever seen before in Westeros. They would have been very cinematic due to their vast difference in appearance from one another. They even had a Dothraki among their ranks, which we had previously been led to believe that none of them had ever crossed the Poison Water.

Instead, we got something called Locke. Faaart.

That would be covered in my #1. It is meant to convey my complete displeasure with her entire stay at Harrenhal.

My #4 would be the show deciding to do away with the Bloody Mummers.

That was such a great opportunity for them to introduce a band of complete psychopaths different from anything that we had ever seen before in Westeros. They would have been very cinematic due to their vast difference in appearance from one another. They even had a Dothraki among their ranks, which we had previously been led to believe that none of them had ever crossed the Poison Water.

Instead, we got something called Locke. Faaart.

+1. We literally just got the first glimpse at the **** the rest of westeros went through as a result of the war of the 5 kings at the end of sunday's episode. Martin showed how everyone was affected early on. And it was ******* ugly.

The chapter about the House of the Undying is just about my favorite chapter in the books. It was given short shrift in Episode 10. I guess they did it for financial reasons, having spent so much money on the Battle of the Blackwater. But I definitely would have liked to see the Red Wedding image and Rheagar and Aegon.

There's a great thread on IMDB asking what episode 9 of seasons 5 and 6 will likely be given the news that it's been renewed for 2 more seasons.

Guesses for S.5.E.9. are all over the place, mostly Jon being murdered by the night's watch or the battles for Mereen/Winterfell.

For some reason most of them think S.6.E.9., which will be from TWOW, will be Aegon sacking King's Landing, sitting the Iron Throne, and the White Walkers bringing down the wall. Obviously no textual evidence for that.

I think since season 3 covered almost 3/4 of ASOS, they'll start to work in (as they clearly did w/ Arya and the Hound) a lot of the first halves of AFFC and ADWD in the middle of this season, along with fanfic. They have to advance the story on the show so that they can cover the latter half of AFFC and ADWD in season 5. I think it will start to get messy how they handle it, in all honesty.

No, it looks like it's going to be episode 5 "The First of His Name". Given that episode 6 is "Laws of Gods and Man" (or something like that), that is probably Tyrion's trial and/or the duel.
I think that title alludes to Tommen's coronation. I think we see the PW this Sunday. The breakfast happens on the same day as the wedding.

There's a great thread on IMDB asking what episode 9 of seasons 5 and 6 will likely be given the news that it's been renewed for 2 more seasons.

Guesses for S.5.E.9. are all over the place, mostly Jon being murdered by the night's watch or the battles for Mereen/Winterfell.

For some reason most of them think S.6.E.9., which will be from TWOW, will be Aegon sacking King's Landing, sitting the Iron Throne, and the White Walkers bringing down the wall. Obviously no textual evidence for that.

I think since season 3 covered almost 3/4 of ASOS, they'll start to work in (as they clearly did w/ Arya and the Hound) a lot of the first halves of AFFC and ADWD in the middle of this season, along with fanfic. They have to advance the story on the show so that they can cover the latter half of AFFC and ADWD in season 5. I think it will start to get messy how they handle it, in all honesty.

arya's in braavos throughout affc and adwd

I think that title alludes to Tommen's coronation. I think we see the PW this Sunday. The breakfast happens on the same day as the wedding.
No way. That's way too early and draws out the trial far too long. The show runners have said that the wedding scene itself is going to last something like 20+ minutes. The breakfast scene alone would take 5-6 minutes. Not sure how they pull that off. Joffrey is the "first of his name".

No way. That's way too early and draws out the trial far too long. The show runners have said that the wedding scene itself is going to last something like 20+ minutes. The breakfast scene alone would take 5-6 minutes. Not sure how they pull that off. Joffrey is the "first of his name".

We shall see.