Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHav

HBO: Game of Thrones

4,077 posts in this topic

George R.R. Martin Shelved ‘Game of Thrones’ Cameo to Work on ‘Winds of Winter’

As HBO prepares to kick off its fourth season of “Game of Thrones” April 6, George R.R. Martin, the author behind the epic fantasy series, admits he has some business to take care of. “I gotta get some of these monkeys off my back,” he said, “including ‘The Winds of Winter’—the big monkey, King Kong.”

The highly anticipated sixth book in “A Song of Ice and Fire” looms so large that Martin shelved his proposed cameo on the show this season. “The cameo we had planned would’ve involved me going to Croatia,” he said, “and I just couldn’t find the time between all my other trips and my speaking engagements and the work I had to do to take off time to fly to Croatia.”

As for his progress on “Winds,” Martin says he is writing it “page by page, sentence by sentence.”

“I’m working on it,” he said. “So I hope to finish it as soon as I can.”

Martin sat down with Speakeasy after HBO’s fan event at Barclays Center last night to discuss dragons, season 5 and a possible movie. Edited excerpts:

There’s been recent talk about a “Game of Thrones” movie to finish the series.

GRRM: Yes, I got in trouble for that. [laughs]

What happened?

This is all pie-in-the-sky stuff. People are asking me how the series is going to end. Is it going to be seven seasons? Is it going to be 10 seasons? Are there going to be movies? We talked about all these possibilities. But right now we have four seasons. That’s all that’s been ordered. HBO has not ordered season 5, so we certainly don’t know about season 7, season 10, or any movies.

But there’s a lot of possibilities that are being kicked around, and it all depends on so many things. Will our ratings continue to go up? Will the show continue to be popular? Sometimes shows fall off. Sometimes people change. Executives change or something, and the new guy doesn’t love the show. You don’t know anything.

I worked in Hollywood from ’85 to ’95, and the one thing I learned is nobody knows anything and it’s a day-to-day process. So right now we’re enjoying season 4 and we’re hoping we’ll get an order for season 5 within a month or so, and then we’ll do that one. And then we’ll see where that leads.

If there is talk of a movie, do you think it’s more powerful to be able to tell your narrative across 10 episodes versus two to three hours in a film?

I love television here. I turned down many offers to make it a movie 10 years ago. When the books first started to get on the bestseller lists, people wanted to make it into a movie.

So I love doing it on television, but there’s no doubt that movies have greater financial resources. And the books keep getting bigger and bigger. There are more characters in every book. There are more battles and there’s more magic and the dragons are bigger. And there are sea battles and land battles and magic and a series of intertwining complicated plots. There are cities in flames and armies on the move, and huge stuff coming up. Would it be helpful to have a feature-sized budget to address some of those things? Certainly. Is it going to happen that way? I have no idea.

On stage you answered a question about whether a stag, dire wolf, lion—any animal, really—could kill a dragon. You said that dragons do a very good job of killing each other. Were you giving a hint to the audience about what’s to come?

I had a book that I edited called “Dangerous Women” that came out a few months ago in December. And it has a story of mine in it called “The Princess and the Queen,” which is about the Targaryen civil war, which is called the Dance of the Dragons at a time when there were almost 20 dragons in Westeros.

The Targaryens divided against each other and fought. I almost plugged that book—that was actually most of what I was thinking about. But you can find a lot of details in there about how dragons killed other dragons and how few of them were left at the end of the war. But I didn’t want there to be such shameless advertising there on the stage.

Usually you write one episode per season. Are you doing that again this time?

I am.

Can you tell me about it?

No, not really. [laughs] It’ll be a good one. I haven’t started on it yet. We’re still breaking down what happens in season 5. I had a meeting with [showrunners] David [benioff] and Dan [Weiss] just a couple of days ago here in New York to discuss the overarching plots of season 5.

We’re starting on season 5 right now. Mind you—there is actually no season 5, so maybe I shouldn’t be saying that.

What do you mean?

Well HBO hasn’t officially ordered season 5. They don’t actually order it officially until the series goes on the air. So normally two episodes—maybe 3 episodes—then they order the next season. So we officially don’t have an order for a season 5, but everybody is fairly optimistic that we’ll get one.

Are you working on other projects outside of “Game of Thrones”?

Not many at the moment. I just finished “The World of Ice and Fire,” which is an associated book. It’s a concordance of Westerosi history and legends and lore. It’s going to be a huge coffee table book. It’ll be out in the fall from Bantam. [it has] a lot of the great background and the history—not just of Westeros, but of Essos and the other lands across the sea, illustrated by some amazing fantasy artists. But that one’s done now.

I still have the “Wild Cards” series that I edit. I’ve been editing those since 1987. And there’s volume 23 of that series in progress. I’m working on that as editor. But that and “Winds of Winter” are the only things left on my plate at the moment. Oh, and my script, of course, that I have to write for season 5.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/03/21/george-r-r-martin-shelved-game-of-thrones-cameo-to-work-on-winds-of-winter/

'Game of Thrones' team: 7 seasons is the plan

Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss tell EW that seven is probably the magic number.

“It feels like this is the midpoint for us,” Benioff says. “If we’re going to go seven seasons, which is the plan, season 4 is right down the middle, the pivot point.”

The seven season goal-line has been floated in the media before, but the writer-producers of the acclaimed fantasy hit series says they’re firmer than before that three more seasons sounds about right.

“I would say it’s the goal we’ve had from the beginning,” Benioff says. “It was our unstated goal, because to start on a show and say your goal is seven seasons is the height of lunacy. Once we got to the point where we felt like we’re going to be able to tell this tale to its conclusion, that became [an even clearer] goal. Seven gods, seven kingdoms, seven seasons. It feels right to us.”

~~~~~~~

The Game of Thrones TV-Show Creators Already Know What Happens at the End of the Book Series

In the April issue of Vanity Fair, on stands March 13, show co-creator David Benioff tells Windolf, “Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with him [Martin] and just talk through where things are going, because we don’t know if we are going to catch up and where exactly that would be. If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character.” Martin tells Windolf, “I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet. I’m hopeful that I can not let them catch up with me.”

~~~~~~~

George R.R. Martin Has a Detailed Plan For Keeping the Game of Thrones TV Show From Catching Up To Him

The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. A Dance with Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms]. Now, Feast and Dance take place simultaneously. So you can’t do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.

Not only that, but Martin is up for a Breaking Bad or Mad Men-style hiatus inserted in the middle of the final season, or even a prequel season.

~~~~~~~

HBO ain't trying to make no **** prequel seasons, and there's not gonna be enough time for all those Greyjoy's and Martell's, either.

smh...this dude is gonna go off the deep end when the show leaves the books behind. His suggestions for what HBO could do to compensate for his glaciel writing speed are hilarious. I used to always say that as soon as the show caught up to the books, I would stop watching until he wrote the series to conclusion, but nah. The show is too good to just not watch it, and Martin is never going to finish the series anyways.

smh...this dude is gonna go off the deep end when the show leaves the books behind. His suggestions for what HBO could do to compensate for his glaciel writing speed are hilarious. I used to always say that as soon as the show caught up to the books, I would stop watching until he wrote the series to conclusion, but nah. The show is too good to just not watch it, and Martin is never going to finish the series anyways.

I don't think they ever get to A Dream of Spring in the TV show. They'll probably have to end the series somewhere around A Dance with Dragons, unfortunately. It would be a huge mistake for them to try to write the script without having the books as source material.

There is a 0% chance that HBO stops at ADWD. Benioff and Weiss have outlines of how the rest of the series is going to go, they have full rights to the adaptation, and this is a money-making monster for HBO. Martin is **** out of luck.

There is a 0% chance that HBO stops at ADWD. Benioff and Weiss have outlines of how the rest of the series is going to go, they have full rights to the adaptation, and this is a money-making monster for HBO. Martin is **** out of luck.

Sorry, I should have said the Winds of Winter. They have said that they will probably only go for about seven seasons. After this season, that leaves three seasons for AFFC and ADWD, probably two seasons by themselves (at least). That's only a season left for TWOF and A Dream of Spring. Can't see them going all the way through.

Plus, think of the actors...some of the kids are going to be adults by then. Just not sure how it's sustainable.

Probably the most main characters together since the Pilot episode. I hope Gleeson can pull off choking to death. I wouldn't blame him if it came off cheesy though, that's got to be an incredibly difficult thing to act through.

Yeah.

Later in the season we have an episode that takes place in one night, in one general location.

I wonder if they're gonna have Ygritte, Tormund, and the Thenns attacking south of the Wall at the same time Mance attacks from the other side?

Season 4 Episode Titles

Season 4, Episode 1: Two Swords

Writers: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

Directors: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

Running time: 58 minutes

Season 4, Episode 2: The Lion and the Rose

Writer: George R. R. Martin

Director: Alex Graves

Running time: 52 minutes

Season 4, Episode 3: Breaker of Chains

Running time: 56 minutes

Season 4, Episode 4: Oathkeeper

Writer: Bryan Cogman

Director: Michelle MacLaren

Running time: 54 minutes

Season 4, Episode 5: First of His Name

Director: Michelle MacLaren

Season 4, Episode 6: The Laws of Gods and Men

Writer: Bryan Cogman

Director: Alik Sakharov

Season 4, Episode 7: Mockingbird

Director: Alik Sakharov

Season 4, Episode 8: The Mountain and the Viper

Season 4, Episode 9: The Watchers on the Wall

Director: Neil Marshall

Season 4, Episode 10: The Children

Episode synopses: 4.01 - 4.04

Episode #31: “Two Swords”

Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) welcomes a guest to King’s Landing. At Castle Black, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) finds himself unwelcome. Dany (Emilia Clarke) is pointed to Meereen, the mother of all slave cities. Arya (Maisie Williams) runs into an old friend.

Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by D. B. Weiss.

Episode #32: “The Lion and the Rose”

Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.

Written by George R.R. Martin; directed by Alex Graves.

Episode #33: “Breaker of Chains”

Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin (Charles Dance) extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn’t safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound (Rory McCann) teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.

Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Alex Graves.

Episode #34: “Oathkeeper”

Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), Meera (Ellie Kendrick) and Hodor (Kristian Nairn) stumble on shelter.

Written by Bryan Cogman; directed by Michelle MacLaren.

Episode 10: The Children...I wonder if that refers to Bran finding the three eyed crow or Lady Stoneheart's sudden appearance. Or maybe both? Or perhaps also a reference to Tommen as well? Sounds like they're going to pull together a lot of the storylines into an overall theme like they did last season with "The Climb" and Littlefinger's speech. Also, looks like Episode Five is going to be the Purple Wedding.

Episode 10: The Children...I wonder if that refers to Bran finding the three eyed crow or Lady Stoneheart's sudden appearance. Or maybe both? Or perhaps also a reference to Tommen as well? Sounds like they're going to pull together a lot of the storylines into an overall theme like they did last season with "The Climb" and Littlefinger's speech. Also, looks like Episode Five is going to be the Purple Wedding.
I still hope that they include Lady Stoneheart and keep her as Catelyn, not Talisa. There's no indication they would change her to Talisa, but it would suck.

Why is "crap" the response?

Anything less than "**** yeah!" is unacceptable.