Jared Allen prepared for life without Ray

We could be talking about the types of Cracker Jack prizes we've all gotten over in Anything but Football and you'd still manage to bring up MV7.

They gave you crackerjack prizes? ********!!! Ive been over there off and on for over a decade and never got a **** thing :angry::lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

This is exactly what I am talking about, folks.

Just because Ray Edwards may be in a Falcons uniform next year, we act like he is the greatest ever, and downgrade all those around him.

We are especially prone to this idolization and degrading at the QB position. Ryan>MV7? Don't make me laugh.

The Vick thing is hard for Falcon Fans because

Falcons QB Ryan > Falcons QB Vick

You have to admit Ryan is better than Vick when he was here... as an Eagles QB Vick is better than Ryan but that could change and Ryan has a lot more years left than Vick..

Really? Because I have watched every game of his career. You cannot say the same. From what I've read on here, it sounds like you don't have much at DE outside of Abraham. So he will probably be an upgrade. As long as you are fine overpaying for a pretty good DE then you should be happy if you get him. He is still young so that's another positive.

Ray Edwards is a good football player. All I am saying is that you will be overpaying him. He is a jackass sometimes, but honestly I don't really care. Do not expect double digit sacks from him. He MIGHT get there a season or two, but no more than that. I wouldn't have listed him as one of our top 5 defenders last year so the hype he is receiving is confusing me a little.

Also, Jared Allen is definitely losing it a little. He's a little overrated now.

Who isnt overpaid in free agency? Thats why players love it, they know they are getting paid for real. He is a good fit for the Falcons because we havnt got a LE on the roster that can pass rush and defend the run, which Edwards does both pretty well. I see the same thing tbh, a guy that could get 10-12 sacks a couple of seasons but most of the time hovering around the 8 sack mark - i would take that everyday of the week... Then again he might surprise as well. The reason he is getting all the hype you just dont see, is because he was top 3 in the NFL for pressures, hits and sacks. Dude had more than Abraham and Allen who get consistent double digit sacks...

Save he's the exception in getting ones against good teams. . and there are 2.5 more sacks against Arizona Minnesota and Detroit to add in. So two thirds of his sacks came against Houston, Washington, Minnesota, Detroit and Tennessee.

Tamba Hali: 14.5

BUffalo: 1.5

Denver: 2

Oakland: 3.5

San Fransisco: 3

tennessee: 1

Cameron Wake: 14

Buffalo: 1

Cleveland: 1.5

Oakland: 1

Minnesota: 1

Clay Matthews: 13.5

BUffalo: 3

Dallas: 1

Detroit: 2

Minnesota: 1

Washington: 1.5

Charles Johnson: 11.5

Arizona: 1

Cincinnatti: 1

Cleveland: 2

San Fran: 1

Seattle: 1

Abraham: 13

Carolina: 2

Cincin: 2

Cleveland: 2

Seattle: 1

Babin: 12.5

Dallas: 2

Denver: 1.5

Houstin: 3

Oakland: 1

Washington: 1

Justin Tuck: 11.5

Houston: 1

Minnesota: .5

(Also got 4.5 against Philly)

Jarred Allen: 11

Arizona: 2.5

Buffalo: 1

Detroit: .5

Miami: 1

. . and so on.

Im pretty sure the point the poster was making was Allen got 7.5 sacks against Chad Clifton one season. Complete scrub. Then proceeded to get 2 sacks on Chicagos revolving door of an OL. Take away the sacks against GB and suddenly everyone is saying Allen has lost a step lol Its a joke.

Pretty much if said DE isnt getting double digit sacks, then dude is crap. That is the attitude of this board. Doesnt matter if they play the run well, get constant pressure and hit the QB, just sacks and a good sack celebration lol

Edited by d#d#d#

Im pretty sure the point the poster was making was Allen got 7.5 sacks against Chad Clifton one season. Complete scrub. Then proceeded to get 2 sacks on Chicagos revolving door of an OL. Take away the sacks against GB and suddenly everyone is saying Allen has lost a step lol Its a joke.

Pretty much if said DE isnt getting double digit sacks, then dude is crap. That is the attitude of this board. Doesnt matter if they play the run well, get constant pressure and hit the QB, just sacks and a good sack celebration lol

+1

way to use your head.

Really? Because I have watched every game of his career. You cannot say the same. From what I've read on here, it sounds like you don't have much at DE outside of Abraham. So he will probably be an upgrade. As long as you are fine overpaying for a pretty good DE then you should be happy if you get him. He is still young so that's another positive.

Ray Edwards is a good football player. All I am saying is that you will be overpaying him. He is a jackass sometimes, but honestly I don't really care. Do not expect double digit sacks from him. He MIGHT get there a season or two, but no more than that. I wouldn't have listed him as one of our top 5 defenders last year so the hype he is receiving is confusing me a little.

Also, Jared Allen is definitely losing it a little. He's a little overrated now.

Hey James, I was agreeing with what you said until you started trying to cover all of the bases so you could not be wrong. You can't flip a coin and call heads and tails.

Yes, Edwards will definitely be an upgrade and yes we will overpay for him to make sure that we get him. But don't say he will not get double digit sacks ever and then say he might get double digits for a season or two. We will mostly likely sign him to a 5-6 year contract. I am expecting 8 sacks a year, so if in two of the seasons he breaks double digits then it will be a great signing. More importantly, signing Ray Edwards is very important to our entire defense for far more reasons than his statistical success.

1) A consistent very good LDE. We haven't had one since Patrick Kerney, and now we will have one who can dominate vs. the run and apply consistent pressure against the pass. Edwards has also shown he can dominate a game in the playoffs and that is exactly what we are looking for.

2) John Abraham faced everything from double teams to triple teams to teams outsourcing their blindside protection to Sumo wrestlers. Having Ray Edwards line up at LDE will force teams to double him less and open John Abraham up to more one-on-one situations. I would be delighted to see John Abraham with a one-on-one against any tackle in this league.

3) Kroy Biermann. A player that is "on the cusp" of really breaking help, Biermann will only be helped by the signing of Edwards. Biermann's best position is at right defensive end, and he was forced to bulk up to 270 lbs last season to play LDE because we didn't have anyone else. This sapped his explosiveness and athleticism which was already limited. Having Edwards allows Biermann to slim back down to 255 lbs and play his natural RDE position which is where he is most effective.

3a) Kroy can now rotate in with both Abraham and Edwards, keeping both players fresh and keeping our pass rush fierce and consistent on every down.

3b) Kroy is now the heir apparent at RDE, so when John Abraham slows down (if he ever does) and eventually hangs it up, we already have a great player in line to start so we don't miss a beat as a defense.

3c) When Kroy does take over for John Abraham, he will not face double teams and get stifled by opposing protection schemes because of the presence of Ray Edwards, keeping him effective and allowing him to continue to progress into a Jared Allen-esque RDE.

4) Peria Jerry (and Corey Peters). We recently invested a 1st round pick in Peria Jerry and have not yet gotten the return on investment that we hoped for. With no double teams on the left side of our defensive line, Peria Jerry was not getting great matchups and not provided with a real chance to make an impact. John Abraham was consistently double teamed, so Jon Babineaux faced one-on-ones repeatedly and had another fantastic season. Adding Ray Edwards will force the offensive line to spread itself out and essentially pick its poison. With Jerry (or Peters) being the weakest link on our D-line with the edition of Ray Edwards, he will receive minimal blocking attention, and thus should be able to take advantage of one-on-one opportunities and emerge as the player we envisioned him to be when we selected him in the 1st round. In essence, signing Ray Edwards helps us to get something out of our 1st round investment in a DT who still has a ton of upside.

5) The secondary. A better pass rush is a secondary's best friend, and our secondary is now starting to look pretty darn good. Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes are both Top 20 CBs in the NFL, and William Moore and Thomas DeCoud are ascending talents at safety who should now only continue to get better. More bad passes will lead to more passes broken up and more interceptions, and should also help us with the development of our nickel and dime backs, Chris Owens and Dominique Franks. Ray Edwards could be the x-factor in the development of our safeties in particular, and I'd love to see both DeCoud and Moore grow into Pro Bowl safeties -- they certainly have the talent.

Also, I can only name four defenders who you could really consider to be better than Ray Edwards: Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Chad Greenway and EJ Henderson, and Henderson is certainly an arguable pick at this point. I'd say Edwards is better than him, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

For the Falcons, signing Ray Edwards helps out the team in 5 legitimate areas on defense -- and a 6th area if you include "recouping" our lost 2012 1st round pick by signing a 1st round talent in free agency. This move is a total win for the Falcons and he'll be worth overpaying, if he never personally breaks double digits in sacks.

Hey James, I was agreeing with what you said until you started trying to cover all of the bases so you could not be wrong. You can't flip a coin and call heads and tails.

Yes, Edwards will definitely be an upgrade and yes we will overpay for him to make sure that we get him. But don't say he will not get double digit sacks ever and then say he might get double digits for a season or two. We will mostly likely sign him to a 5-6 year contract. I am expecting 8 sacks a year, so if in two of the seasons he breaks double digits then it will be a great signing. More importantly, signing Ray Edwards is very important to our entire defense for far more reasons than his statistical success.

1) A consistent very good LDE. We haven't had one since Patrick Kerney, and now we will have one who can dominate vs. the run and apply consistent pressure against the pass. Edwards has also shown he can dominate a game in the playoffs and that is exactly what we are looking for.

2) John Abraham faced everything from double teams to triple teams to teams outsourcing their blindside protection to Sumo wrestlers. Having Ray Edwards line up at LDE will force teams to double him less and open John Abraham up to more one-on-one situations. I would be delighted to see John Abraham with a one-on-one against any tackle in this league.

3) Kroy Biermann. A player that is "on the cusp" of really breaking help, Biermann will only be helped by the signing of Edwards. Biermann's best position is at right defensive end, and he was forced to bulk up to 270 lbs last season to play LDE because we didn't have anyone else. This sapped his explosiveness and athleticism which was already limited. Having Edwards allows Biermann to slim back down to 255 lbs and play his natural RDE position which is where he is most effective.

3a) Kroy can now rotate in with both Abraham and Edwards, keeping both players fresh and keeping our pass rush fierce and consistent on every down.

3b) Kroy is now the heir apparent at RDE, so when John Abraham slows down (if he ever does) and eventually hangs it up, we already have a great player in line to start so we don't miss a beat as a defense.

3c) When Kroy does take over for John Abraham, he will not face double teams and get stifled by opposing protection schemes because of the presence of Ray Edwards, keeping him effective and allowing him to continue to progress into a Jared Allen-esque RDE.

4) Peria Jerry (and Corey Peters). We recently invested a 1st round pick in Peria Jerry and have not yet gotten the return on investment that we hoped for. With no double teams on the left side of our defensive line, Peria Jerry was not getting great matchups and not provided with a real chance to make an impact. John Abraham was consistently double teamed, so Jon Babineaux faced one-on-ones repeatedly and had another fantastic season. Adding Ray Edwards will force the offensive line to spread itself out and essentially pick its poison. With Jerry (or Peters) being the weakest link on our D-line with the edition of Ray Edwards, he will receive minimal blocking attention, and thus should be able to take advantage of one-on-one opportunities and emerge as the player we envisioned him to be when we selected him in the 1st round. In essence, signing Ray Edwards helps us to get something out of our 1st round investment in a DT who still has a ton of upside.

5) The secondary. A better pass rush is a secondary's best friend, and our secondary is now starting to look pretty darn good. Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes are both Top 20 CBs in the NFL, and William Moore and Thomas DeCoud are ascending talents at safety who should now only continue to get better. More bad passes will lead to more passes broken up and more interceptions, and should also help us with the development of our nickel and dime backs, Chris Owens and Dominique Franks. Ray Edwards could be the x-factor in the development of our safeties in particular, and I'd love to see both DeCoud and Moore grow into Pro Bowl safeties -- they certainly have the talent.

Also, I can only name four defenders who you could really consider to be better than Ray Edwards: Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Chad Greenway and EJ Henderson, and Henderson is certainly an arguable pick at this point. I'd say Edwards is better than him, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

For the Falcons, signing Ray Edwards helps out the team in 5 legitimate areas on defense -- and a 6th area if you include "recouping" our lost 2012 1st round pick by signing a 1st round talent in free agency. This move is a total win for the Falcons and he'll be worth overpaying, if he never personally breaks double digits in sacks.

Thats a great post Dirty Bird, and i agree 100%