Posey likely done for season

Unknøwn

SAN FRANCISCO -- Giants star catcher Buster Posey is likely out for the season with a fractured bone in his lower left leg suffered during a collision at home plate with Florida's Scott Cousins.

The Giants announced Thursday that Posey was on the disabled list with the injury, a night after he was crushed by Cousins while trying to block the winning run in the 12th inning against the Marlins.

Posey has been San Francisco's best cleanup hitter this season, a team leader in the clubhouse and key cog behind the plate for one of the best rotations in baseball. He was batting .284 with four home runs and 21 RBIs, just finding his groove in the midst of a 13-game hitting streak.

On his Twitter account, Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval said, "Good morning I feel so bad because we lost buster for rest of the season it's gonna be hard with out him."

An MRI was scheduled for Thursday, at which time the Giants said they would discuss the results.

Cousins tagged from third base on a sacrifice fly, beating the throw from Nate Schierholtz and lowering his shoulder to slam into Posey for a brutal, but clean, hit on the reigning NL Rookie of the Year.

Posey lay dazed, writhing in pain and curling up in a ball for several minutes as the ballpark fell silent. After several minutes, with fans chanting "Posey! Posey!" he was helped off the field by two team trainers holding his left leg and looking stunned.

They are one of the few teams more offensively challenged than us, and with him being their best hitter and all, this will be a tremendous blow.

I saw the play, it didn't look good. As one of the best young players in the league, and just a general fan of baseball, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Edited by I Am The Truth

They are one of the few teams more offensively challenged than us, and with him being their best hitter and all, this will be a tremendous blow.

I saw the play, it didn't look good. As one of the best young players in the league, and just a general fan of baseball, I wish him a speedy recovery.

I second that motion!

if that's the case, at least it happened early in his career while he still has the athleticism to hopefully adjust to a new position.

Well he played some 1st base last season and if I remember correctly played some 2nd base while he was at Florida State. He's not going to be moved to 1st base permantly with Brandon Belt there.

How many catchers are going to have their careers ruined before they finally wise up and ban "running over" the catcher? You can't even hit a QB in the NFL like that anymore....

(And yes I was a catcher for many many years... I have the cleat marks to prove it)

How many catchers are going to have their careers ruined before they finally wise up and ban "running over" the catcher? You can't even hit a QB in the NFL like that anymore....

(And yes I was a catcher for many many years... I have the cleat marks to prove it)

They already have that rule in the minors. But all this Buster Posey talk reminds me of when Darin Erstad when way out of his way to clobber Johnny Estrada in 2005. Do you guys remember that? Estrada missed most of the rest of the season with a concussion and never fully regained the great hitting form that made him an All-Star in 2004. Estrada getting hurt is what opened the door for McCann and we've never looked back since, at least at the catcher position.

Well he played some 1st base last season and if I remember correctly played some 2nd base while he was at Florida State. He's not going to be moved to 1st base permantly with Brandon Belt there.

Belt can play left field, so you never know. It's not like their outfielders are a bunch of spring chickens.

Belt can play left field, so you never know. It's not like their outfielders are a bunch of spring chickens.

I had no idea. It kinda makes you wonder why they didn't take a chance and stick him in RF and keep Huff at 1B when he was up with the team at the beginning of the season. I mean there really isn't that much difference between playing LF and RF unlike CF where you have to have superior speed to play it. I played LF and RF when I played but wasn't fast enough to play CF.

The worst thing about this is all the boo-hooing going on from females like Posey's agent.

Oh wah, my client got hurt, that means we have to change the game of baseball that has been played for 140 years.

Here is an idea Posey, if you don't want to get trucked like a child, get off the plate.

He was actually recruited to FSU as a SS/RHP.

The worst thing about this is all the boo-hooing going on from females like Posey's agent.

Oh wah, my client got hurt, that means we have to change the game of baseball that has been played for 140 years.

Here is an idea Posey, if you don't want to get trucked like a child, get off the plate.

I find it amazing how people who've never taken a shot like that LOVE to talk big like they could just shake it off and tough it out. After you regained consciousness and got out of traction I'm sure you'd be pretty pissed about the potential of losing out on millions of dollars when it ends your career. Child.... pffff. Grow up Headshot.

LMAO. I played baseball for 16 years, and catcher for about 6 of them. Sophomore year of highschool there's a runner on 3rd and the pitcher throws a passed ball. I throw the mask off and spin around to grab the ball and turn and throw it back to the pitcher who was supposed to be covering home plate. Instead I turn around to see the pitcher laying on his face because he tripped coming to home. So I got up and ran towards home plate and dove to try to cut the runner off. He dove to try to score and I got a face full of his helmet.

Broken jaw that was wired shut for a month, a concussion, a broken cheek bone, and three broken teeth, two of which were knocked down my throat. I took a shot that was 10x worse than Posey's little broken ankle and never once did I think anything other than "**** I can't believe I let that dude score." If you don't want to participate in a home plate collision, then DON'T sit your *** down on home plate when you don't even have the ball. The rules of baseball state that the catcher is well within his rights to do so, and they also state that the runner is well within his rights to ghost the fool in an attempt to score. It's ALWAYS been that way and doesn't need to be changed simply because the ROY got hurt. Catchers know what their job is and they know the risks involved, we don't need to baby these guys and turn baseball into even more of a vaginal sport. We're talking about the same exact sport that sees grown men sit out because they have a hang nail.

The most exciting play in baseball is a play at the plate, and it's been that way for 140 something years with the rules being exactly the same, but now the little All-Star kid gets hurt and it's time to cream panties and change rules. Same thing happened with Tom Brady. Super star underwear model gets a hurt knee and we have to make sure that if a QB is breathed on it's a penalty.

The entirety of American culture is becoming completely pussified, and now it's trickling down into sports.

LMAO. I played baseball for 16 years, and catcher for about 6 of them. Sophomore year of highschool there's a runner on 3rd and the pitcher throws a passed ball. I throw the mask off and spin around to grab the ball and turn and throw it back to the pitcher who was supposed to be covering home plate. Instead I turn around to see the pitcher laying on his face because he tripped coming to home. So I got up and ran towards home plate and dove to try to cut the runner off. He dove to try to score and I got a face full of his helmet.

Broken jaw that was wired shut for a month, a concussion, a broken cheek bone, and three broken teeth, two of which were knocked down my throat. I took a shot that was 10x worse than Posey's little broken ankle and never once did I think anything other than "**** I can't believe I let that dude score." If you don't want to participate in a home plate collision, then DON'T sit your *** down on home plate when you don't even have the ball. The rules of baseball state that the catcher is well within his rights to do so, and they also state that the runner is well within his rights to ghost the fool in an attempt to score. It's ALWAYS been that way and doesn't need to be changed simply because the ROY got hurt. Catchers know what their job is and they know the risks involved, we don't need to baby these guys and turn baseball into even more of a vaginal sport. We're talking about the same exact sport that sees grown men sit out because they have a hang nail.

The most exciting play in baseball is a play at the plate, and it's been that way for 140 something years with the rules being exactly the same, but now the little All-Star kid gets hurt and it's time to cream panties and change rules. Same thing happened with Tom Brady. Super star underwear model gets a hurt knee and we have to make sure that if a QB is breathed on it's a penalty.

The entirety of American culture is becoming completely pussified, and now it's trickling down into sports.

The difference is you dove at him. That's just two guys trying to make a play and I would have felt the same way you did. BUT you weren't standing there trying to field a ball while you took a helmet to the jaw. Big difference IMO. I'm all for good old fashioned hard slide into the plate or any other base for that matter I just don't see how being able to drop a shoulder or helmet somehow constitutes great "tradition". If that's good baseball then I should have been able to drop a shoulder on any 2nd/SS/3rd baseman that had a chance at tagging me out whether they had the ball or not. Last time I checked you get tossed for something like that but not if you do it to the catcher. And yeah I was one of those guys that if you came in high on me you'd better knock me out because we were going to fight as soon as I got to my feet. I'll be damned if someone was going to ruin my career like that.

But anyways slide hard, slide late, pop up slide, takeout slide, whatever... all good baseball.... A Ronnie Lott forearm to the head or shoulder to the head should be gone from the game. Period.

You can't change something like a play at the plate w/o totally altering how the game is played.

As a catcher you take that chance, that is why you see multiple different setups from different catchers. What happened to Posey sucks but that's baseball.

He wasn't blocking the plate. The runner had more than enough room to slide and touch the plate. That's why they are making such a big deal out of this. Had he been sitting on top of the plate and had it completey blocked then you would have a point but he wasn't. It's just like the Johnny Estrada play in 2005 when he got creamed even though he didn't have the plate blocked. That is not baseball. That is not playing hard.

He was actually recruited to FSU as a SS/RHP.

I knew he was their closer.

Looks like I am going to have to side with headshot. Posey was IN FRONT of the plate blocking it. There was no way for Cousins to do anything but lower his shoulder. Posey was setup in a bad position. This play has happened plenty of times before, but no one ever said "remove that ability because of injury" until now. It was a tie ball game in the 12th inning. Did you just want Cousins to just pull up and let Posey tag him out? In the words of Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game". Cousins made the correct call, Posey was just positioned bad and had an unfortunate AND freak accident occur. No need to change the rule when the catcher knows exactly what he is doing by setting up blocking the plate.

Edit: If you click on the link I posted, and pause it at the :15 second mark, you will see that Cousins head is around Posey's right Bicep. It was a clean hit, Posey just had his legs under him and I am assuming didn't think that the collision would put him on his back and catch his ankle.

i definitely agree that the play is just part of the game. both players were doing their jobs on the field and it resulted in an injury, unfortunately. personally, i don't think it should result in a rule change. you hate to see it, but it's just part of the game. there's a reason why catcher's gear is called the tools of ignorance.......not that Posey is at fault in any way.