Julio Jones only managed 17 reps on the bench at the combine. Does this surprise anyone else? This isn't a knock on the draft pick, I'm real glad we've got him. But for a guy his size who's known for his "physicality", I would have thought he'd be a lot stronger than that. It just seems out of place.

For reference, A.J. Green had 18 and Greg Little had 27.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Julio Jones only managed 17 reps on the bench at the combine. Does this surprise anyone else? This isn't a knock on the draft pick, I'm real glad we've got him. But for a guy his size who's known for his "physicality", I would have thought he'd be a lot stronger than that. It just seems out of place.

One thing about some of these combine numbers is how these athletes specifically train themselves in certain areas for the few months leading up to the combine. There are a lot of different things these guy's do with only so much time. My point is with the limited time they have, if they try to drastically improve every area they are tested on, they will not have eye popping numbers in certain test, unless they are just have that natural God gifted ability. I think guy's like Julio wanted to make sure his Vertical, 40, and a couple of other areas showed his explosion which is amazing for Julio being his size. He probably could have trained more specifically for upper body strength and in turn might have run a little slower and jumped a little less, Which is more important for someone Julio's size. IMO, showing how fast and how high he can jump at 220 plus pounds and 6-4 is a lot more impressive than trying to show he can do 25 plus reps, which if he trained for, I guarantee you he could do it.

AJ Green on the other hand lacked a little in the 40 compared to times he had previously run at UGA, but amazingly showed impressive upper body strength which even UGA fans did not realize he was quite that strong, but it obviously was important for him to train for that and show that all though he might not have the same physique as Julio, and might not weigh as much, he is just as strong. His game tape in the SEC took care of the rest of what Scouts needed to know.

Also, with Julio and the concern for drops, if he over trained his upper body there could have been fear of him being to stiff in his arms and thus effecting him catching the ball, so I imagine that had something to do with him not bulking up his bench, keeping his strength adequate, and his upper body limber and fluid

Edited by kierstendawg

That caught my eye too. Sometimes it's a length of arm issue, but AJ's arms have got to be just as long.

Does not make sense that his upper body strength is inferior to Green's.

So having one less rep makes his upper body strength inferior to Green? I would agree if you said Greg Little who is a physical specimen.

The 27 by Little may be the most by any WR I can remember ever coming into the NFL, But if you ask me one player I would be the most worried about being a bust BC of off field issues, it would be Little. I'd love to have gotten him if not for the BIG concern... But as far as athletically gifted, I can't ever remember a WR more gifted than Jones. Did you see his 11'3'' broad jump at the combines. I watched it live. Amazing thing. And he did it with a broke foot. He has more natural gifts as a WR than anyone I can remember. As Ryan said when he first met Julio, "He's a monster" What I love is his back ground as a RB so he is tough , large, strong, and calmness of mind. Jones has the tools to become the most dominating WR in the NFL. And the biggest tool will be the team he is on. If he stays healthy , no doubt in my mind he will get ROY.

Julio Jones has extremely long arms. This makes benching much more difficult. I don't know exact measurements but I'm pretty sure he has a greater wingspan than both Green and Little. If you look at his arms you can see though long, ripped. Also I believe Roddy only threw up 16 reps. Do not quote me on that, hard info to find. Jones is stronger than both Green and Little.

When Julio has to push 225lbs exactly off of his chest while laying on the ground I'll worry.

The bench press much like any of the other tests done at the combine is most importantly a skill as well as a way to compare players against each other. The bench press is an test of strength but it's also a skill that has to be learned. You can be the strongest man on your team but if you don't have the correct technique you're not going to do well at all in repeated reps. This goes for any player or anyone that lifts weights so it's not an excuse for Julio. It's just a fact that some people are just not proficient at certain lifting techniques for one reason or another.

The 27 by Little may be the most by any WR I can remember ever coming into the NFL, But if you ask me one player I would be the most worried about being a bust BC of off field issues, it would be Little. I'd love to have gotten him if not for the BIG concern... But as far as athletically gifted, I can't ever remember a WR more gifted than Jones. Did you see his 11'3'' broad jump at the combines. I watched it live. Amazing thing. And he did it with a broke foot. He has more natural gifts as a WR than anyone I can remember. As Ryan said when he first met Julio, "He's a monster" What I love is his back ground as a RB so he is tough , large, strong, and calmness of mind. Jones has the tools to become the most dominating WR in the NFL. And the biggest tool will be the team he is on. If he stays healthy , no doubt in my mind he will get ROY.

Usually take what u say to heart but Little's issues off the field were going to an agents party in Miami and receiving gifts. The guy busts his *** on the field and in practice. Little may not be a baller his rookie season in Cleveland but he will be a great option for McCoy IMO.

Usually take what u say to heart but Little's issues off the field were going to an agents party in Miami and receiving gifts. The guy busts his *** on the field and in practice. Little may not be a baller his rookie season in Cleveland but he will be a great option for McCoy IMO.

Who cares? I don't see how bench pressing stats translate to a WR being able to run routes and catch a football. Didn't look like it affected him too much in college...

I would love to see the OP at the gym. I'm sure it is bench press and biceps all day! So he can have abnormally sized arms, and be able to brag to all his "buddies" about his bench press numbers.

Its kinda of embarrassing and come to think Matt Ryan put up 25 and he is nowhere close to be as physically apposing as Julio Jones..

Bench press

The bench press is a test of strength -- 225 pounds, as many reps as the athlete can get. What the NFL scouts are also looking for is endurance. Anybody can do a max one time, but what the bench press tells the pro scouts is how often the athlete frequented his college weight room for the last 3-5 years.