Jerry/Sidbury are already considered a bust

Now look at Jerry and Sidberry; Jerry being a first round draft pick is expected not only to start by contribute immedietly and succeed at his position. This is not even expecting the guy to be a pro bowler but simply to live up to his draft status.

I'm not understanding this argument! Jerry did start his 1st year and contributed before getting injured in the 3rd game of the season. He was a situational player last year because he was still recovering from that injury. :blink:

Edited by peoriabird
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also to let you know that given his draft position that he is a bust, being relative to when he was picked and what is expected. If jerry was a UDFA like clabo is would not be as a big deal since the expectations are much lower as well as the cost.

IMHO Jerry might be the Norwood of DTs for the Falcons - Play well for his role but is not on the field as often as you would like.

Also Sidberry given that he is healthy and younger, even though he has not played as well, still has a greater shot than Jerry.

I'm giving Jerry another year before I start using the "B" word. I remember that quick first step he had before the injury. In his rookie year, I answered a post about what would help the pass rush most with " 8 sacks from Jerry" Still think that. If he's healthy, he'll be an important part of an improved D.

Shouldn't that be IMO?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course, if Sidbury becomes a player for Atlanta, he'll be another example of a player taking 3 years to get it together :lol::lol::lol:.

There are 22 starters, that's 18%, I rounded up, sue me.

My whole point has been that starters can take time to develop, of course I'm going to focus on starters. You keep trying to expand my statement to everybody in the NFL, and that's not the point at all.

I understood completely what your point was, and my point is you can't say he won't be a good player just because he hasn't shown it yet.

Great that is your point. But it is NOT my point. Remember, YOU responded to MY post to rebut what I said.

Also to let you know that given his draft position that he is a bust, being relative to when he was picked and what is expected. If jerry was a UDFA like clabo is would not be as a big deal since the expectations are much lower as well as the cost.

IMHO Jerry might be the Norwood of DTs for the Falcons - Play well for his role but is not on the field as often as you would like.

Also Sidberry given that he is healthy and younger, even though he has not played as well, still has a greater shot than Jerry.

This is all relative. Higher draft choices have higher pay, expectations, and more opportunity to make it. This is why they are under a microscope and if they fail to meet expectations are considered a bust. A first rounder is expected to play like a first rounder and not someone picked up in the 4th round. Even if they make the squad and break the starting line up, they are expected to SUCCEED and be much better than the player they replaced - Save for replacing HOF/Pro Bowl players that might be lost due to retirement/free agency.

Guys like Sidberry don't have the same level of expectations BUT they won't be given the same chances. They might be on the team for depth/situational play time. They might not be considered a bust as easily as a 1st rounder.

We obviously have different standards and expectations. It seems you are happy if the guy simply plays as a starter and perhaps alot more patient than I am. If you read my profile you will see that I am not and why.

You talk about what "may be" because of how guys like Roddy White took time to succeed. I am talking about how things are RIGHT NOW.

Just to let you know, Roddy sucked for his first couple of years because he was lazy and apathetic which he admitted to. He changed his attitude and his play changed as well. I dislike the use of Roddy, as an example, because for fans to wait and be patient for #1 draft picks because of the following: #1 picks are expected to do well, so Roddy finally met expectations, and being such a high pick, already had a higher ceiling and potential to succeed in the first place as well as he has had more opportunity to change his career and turn it around than someone in the 7th round - He gets paid more and will get every opportunity to play so the owner can squeeze out every nickle out and get value out of the guy's paycheck.

The fans are expected to wait for one Roddy White out of ever 10 Jamaal Andersons. I am sorry, but that is highly unproportional to what is expected to what actually takes place. For ME, they will do well or they won't.

I will give SOME leniency to players that get hurt, however in the end it becomes irrelevent. Being an NFL player is a job, and you either perform or you don't - Doesnt matter if you fail because of injury, laziness, bad team, bad attitude, or if the player has a big heart but is weak physically. The owners don't care and at the end of the day neither do the fans. If you like a player because he is nice, that is one thing, but don't expect him to be great simply because he wears a uniform for a team you like.

TD is picking players who have high motors and high intangables, so attitude will not be as much as a factor. Usually for the players that TD picks, the players need to develope physically and become more technically sound. They tend not to have as high as a ceiling with the exception being Julio Jones who hopefully will be a beast.

One last point that I want to make is this: Despite the lockout, this is an era of free agency and high expectations for rookies tend to be high in general because of the high turnover rate of coaches and general managers. Teams do not have as much time nor the luxury to sit, wait, and hope that players will eventually will do well. As a Falcon fan, I am tired of waiting and hearing the excuses. If you want to wait, then so be it. It is not for me.

Edited by Aria7

I'm not understanding this argument! Jerry did start his 1st year and contribute before getting injured in the 3rd game of the season. He was a situational player last year because he was still recovering from that injury. :blink:

Getting hurt may have delayed his play or hampered it - Time will tell. Playing for 3 games one year and being situational the next is hardly getting value from a player picked so high. Jerry is either 27 or 28 and his window for success is now closing given that he has already past his physical peek and when he hits 30, which is just a couple of years from now, he will be degressing from that point on. The falcons needed him to succeed much earlier because he was an old rookie to begin with.

I do not see why you would put the confused face since playing 3 full games is hardly a contribution - Last time I checked it was a 16 game season. <_<

Edited by Aria7

Well...

That "Noodle Arm" can't throw a iPad through a wet paper bag son!

That's why he hasn't actually WON(WINNING) either of those aforementioned "2 of 3" playoff games son.

Good point. Like i always say, you know who celebrates just making the playoffs?...Losers

Jerry is either 27 or 28 and his window for success is now closing given that he has already past his physical peek and when he hits 30, which is just a couple of years from now, he will be degressing from that point on.

This makes me wonder why free agents like Julius Peppers got their biggest contracts at or after the age of 30. Somebody must not understand or agree with your assumptions.

This makes me wonder why free agents like Julius Peppers got their biggest contracts at or after the age of 30. Somebody must not understand or agree with your assumptions.

Julious Peppers is a physical freak who HAS PROVEN HIMSELF unlike Peria Jerry. If you are confused by this then I serious doubt you pay close attention to what occurs in football. This is not that complicated.

There are not too many free agents that get huge paychecks at that age. The reason is that many have a history of injuries during that time and are about to decline in overall athletic ability.

There are some teams, like the Redskins, that pay big money for older free agents which rarely if ever pans out. These owners are desperate, and willing, to role the dice on an older proven player than gambling on another rookie.

But then again how many big time free agents are available every year, and just how many of them are 30 or older?

Edited by Aria7

1st Rd.: Tyson Jackson (DE), Aaron Curry (LB), Larry English (LB), Robert Ayers (LB), Peria Jerry (DT).

2nd Rd.: Clint Sintim (LB), David Veikune (DE), Sen’Derrick Marks (DT), Cody Brown (LB)

3rd Rd.: Alex Magee (DT), Jarron Gilbert (DT), Jason Williams (LB).

4th Rd.: Darrell Scott (DT), Kaluka Maiava (LB), Vaughn Martin (DE), Stanley Arnoux (LB), Laurence Sidbury (DE), Terrance Taylor (DT).

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Impact-Analysis/the-bust-factor-analysis-of-2007-2009-drafts.html

I think we messed up when we picked jerry at #24, because in the next 8 picks Clay matthews, Vontae davis, Kenny britt and Hakeem nicks went, and have all proven themselves IMO. I sure wish we would have got Matthews. We would be set right now.