Jerry/Sidbury are already considered a bust

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well many here know I have never been on the Jerry train but it's still a little too early to call him a bust. I'd give him one, maybe two more seasons.

I don't have great expectations but I'm hoping he can come through. With all the picks we just gave away we don't need another first round bust on the Dline.

Plus I'm having trouble coming up with a good elementary school bust nickname for him. Any suggestions? Pariah Jerry? Mary Jerry? I'm struggling. Need help.

Well many here know I have never been on the Jerry train but it's still a little too early to call him a bust. I'd give him one, maybe two more seasons.

I don't have great expectations but I'm hoping he can come through. With all the picks we just gave away we don't need another first round bust on the Dline.

Plus I'm having trouble coming up with a good elementary school bust nickname for him. Any suggestions? Pariah Jerry? Mary Jerry? I'm struggling. Need help.

I'm not going to call him a bust, just a bad pick.

I fully understand your argument but it is not applicable. Even though Clabo and Dahl took 5-6 years respectively, they were not starters for some time and played beyond expectations. If both played as expected then being a bust would be irrelevent because both were never to be considered to be anymore than backups.

So you have UDFA taking 5-6 years that became quality starters.

Now look at Jerry and Sidberry; Jerry being a first round draft pick is EXPECTED not only to start by contribute immedietly and succeed at his position. This is not even expecting the guy to be a pro bowler but simply to live up to his draft status. On this case Jerry IS a bust. He is essentially a 27 year old situational player. He is FAR from meeting expectations. Given what he has done, he would be worth nothing more than a late 5th rounder at best. This giving rookies 3 years to meet expectations is TOTALLY ARBITRARY. It is a made up standard that is wishful thinking in hoping that a highly rated player will actually play well.

The fact is the most players, right from the start, either play well or not. Those players that do take 3 or more years are EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE. This RARELY happens. It is highly probable that Jerry will not contribute anymore than his current role with the team.

Lets look at Sidberry; He is a middle rounder froma small school that had a high ceiling. He was considerered a boom or bust player. Given this idea, Sidberry is unable to even get on the field, let alone be considered a situational player. Mid round picks tend be players that MAY be starters or decent backups. As of right now, Sidberry is neither and it is also improbable that he will make any impact.

Let's be honest here, if we have rookies that do better than expected, do we say "lets wait 3-4 years" before these players turn to be players that were originally expected to play worse? Of course not. We simply say it is a great pick and we simply expect them to continue being good. So why the double standard?

Why do players that play well right away can be judged IMMEDIETLY as being good, but players that don't play well, we are told by fellow fans that "we should be patient and give them time."? If you can judge one player immedietly then you should be able to judge ALL the players immedietly as being good or bad players. No exceptions.

This making excuses for bust players is special pleading. Either the players will play well or they won't. Players like Clabo and Dahl had to get opportunity, which the Falcons having a depleted line had the openings for UDFA to compete and start.

Jerry and Sidberry had plenty of opportunity to compete for a position that is also considered a weakness for the team. Either they will win the spots or they won't. If Jerry can not stay healthy to compete then his health is making him a bust no matter how well he plays. If you are not on the field, then you are no more a contributer then someone who is not even on the team.

I think the homers are to infatuated with player potential than actual production. The only reason those 2 are still on the team because how high they were picked and/or how much POTENTIAL they might have. If they were UDFA like Clabo and Dahl, they would have been cut the first year.

Anything other than a top 10 pick is expected to take a bit to come into their own. Especially at QB, OL, DL. Corners, RBs, LBs you pretty much know what you have within 1.5 to 2 yrs.

However, at those other positions, the first year is usually not expected to be much. They're supposed to make a jump to starter level in year 2, and in year 3, you think you see what they're going to be.

Now, if they impact before that...it's great...and some guys do, but they don't necessarily go on to be better than the guys that take a year or 2. Had Jerry not injured his knee, we'd have a decent idea of what he is (after 2 full years) and would have a very good idea at the end of this year. Playing 1 yr doesn't really tell much of anything.

What I will concede is sometimes you can tell the player doesn't have the athleticism to be in the league...and in that case, they're never going to get it. I don't preach patience on draft picks for 5 yrs if they're doing nothing. But if they're line players, you're seeing flashes, or they're developmental guys, it really does take a bit.

that what worries me about Weatherspoon and spending a 1st round pick on a OLB . They simply dont make the impact warranted for 1st round draft pick .

1st round draft picks- OT, QB, WR, DE , DB, MLB

or a cant miss prospect at S like a Tory P

Guards/C/OLB/DT should all be found in the middle to later rounds .

I agree mostly, but would take off MLB (unless a great prospect) and add DT. DTs are becoming more and more important.

This giving rookies 3 years to meet expectations is TOTALLY ARBITRARY. It is a made up standard that is wishful thinking in hoping that a highly rated player will actually play well.

I think people are confusing WRs with DTs. For some positions, such as WR, QB, or DE, it is known that it takes longer than usual to develop. However, for other positions like RB, OL, or DT, you are expected to come right in and play on day one.

Roddy White may have blossomed after 3+ years but you have to understand, he plays a position that usually takes awhile to develop. DTs, on the other hand, are different.

And even this rule is becoming archaic. More and more players are EXPECTED to play and succeed on day 1. QBs are no longer sat behind veterans to learn and watch. Rookie QBs are expected to play on day 1, and win in the playoffs like Flacco or Sanchez.

Pariah Jerry is every bit of a bust. If he is 24 then we might be able to be more patient, but he's about to be 27.

Edited by Mr. Right

1st Rd.: Tyson Jackson (DE), Aaron Curry (LB), Larry English (LB), Robert Ayers (LB), Peria Jerry (DT).

2nd Rd.: Clint Sintim (LB), David Veikune (DE), Sen’Derrick Marks (DT), Cody Brown (LB)

3rd Rd.: Alex Magee (DT), Jarron Gilbert (DT), Jason Williams (LB).

4th Rd.: Darrell Scott (DT), Kaluka Maiava (LB), Vaughn Martin (DE), Stanley Arnoux (LB), Laurence Sidbury (DE), Terrance Taylor (DT).

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Impact-Analysis/the-bust-factor-analysis-of-2007-2009-drafts.html

This list shows how hard it is to get quality D-Lineman through the draft. Go ahead and put Gerald McCoy on that list. Still don't know how he got comparisons to Warren Sapp and Tommy Harris. Size and that's it. I knew he would be a bust. Glad the Bucs got him! :)

I think people are confusing WRs with DTs. For some positions, such as WR, QB, or DE, it is known that it takes longer than usual to develop. However, for other positions like RB, OL, or DT, you are expected to come right in and play on day one.

Roddy White may have blossomed after 3+ years but you have to understand, he plays a position that usually takes awhile to develop. DTs, on the other hand, are different.

And even this rule is becoming archaic. More and more players are EXPECTED to play and succeed on day 1. QBs are no longer sat behind veterans to learn and watch. Rookie QBs are expected to play on day 1, and make it to the playoffs like Flacco or Sanchez.

Pariah Jerry is every bit of a bust. If he is 24 then we might be able to be more patient, but he's about to be 27.

Love how you ignore that ol "noodle arm" has made it to the playoffs 2 of 3 seasons. I really don't see how you enjoy these boards so much if you hate the Falcons so much

Love how you ignore that ol "noodle arm" has made it to the playoffs 2 of 3 seasons. I really don't see how you enjoy these boards so much if you hate the Falcons so much

Well...

That "Noodle Arm" can't throw a iPad through a wet paper bag son!

That's why he hasn't actually WON(WINNING) either of those aforementioned "2 of 3" playoff games son.

"What kinda place y'all runnin' here"

Edited by falcon70

Well...

That "Noodle Arm" can't throw a cell phone throw a wet paper bag son! That's why he hasn't actually WON(WINNING) either of those aforementioned "2 of 3" playoff games son.

"What kinda place y'all runnin' here"

Okay, I'll humor you. If you, and not TD and Smitty, had been given control of the Franchise in 2008, what would you have done differently? (And no 20/20 hindsight **** like "I would have drafted Jamaal Charles and DeSean Jackson instead of Sam Baker," be reasonable)

Okay, I'll humor you. If you, and not TD and Smitty, had been given control of the Franchise in 2008, what would you have done differently? (And no 20/20 hindsight **** like "I would have drafted Jamaal Charles and DeSean Jackson instead of Sam Baker," be reasonable)

We wouldn't be short 5 draft picks I tell ya that much...

And I would not have had MattyRatic throwing an out route at the Georgia Dome when...

Coming to the line of scrimmage...

"Everybody knew... Hey this cats gonna throw an Out route!!!!"

But hey... when your franchise is MattyRatic and the only thing you've got to bust out of a wet paper bag is an iPad, I guess your options are... Well...

LIMITED...

And I would not have had MattyRatic throwing an out route at the Georgia Dome when...

But hey... when your franchise is MattyRatic and the only thing you've got to bust out of a wet paper bag is an iPad, I guess your options are... Well...

LIMITED...

So I give you a great chance to explain the reasoning behind your inflammatory posts, and all you do is bash Matt Ryan for the umpteenth time. That's all I needed to hear, troll. Don't you have anything better to do with your life than pretending to be a Falcons fan on a message board?

So I give you a great chance to explain the reasoning behind your inflammatory posts, and all you do is bash Matt Ryan for the umpteenth time. That's all I needed to hear, troll. Don't you have anything better to do with your life than pretending to be a Falcons fan on a message board?

The... Trade... Stinks...

This... Chicken... Will... Come... Home...

To Roost.

The... Trade... Stinks...

This... Chicken... Will... Come... Home...

To Roost.

Blah blah blah. 95 posts and every single one of them about how Matt Ryan sucks or how we got screwed on this trade. Go gargle with rogaine, you festering sack of troll ****.

1st Rd.: Tyson Jackson (DE), Aaron Curry (LB), Larry English (LB), Robert Ayers (LB), Peria Jerry (DT).

2nd Rd.: Clint Sintim (LB), David Veikune (DE), Sen’Derrick Marks (DT), Cody Brown (LB)

3rd Rd.: Alex Magee (DT), Jarron Gilbert (DT), Jason Williams (LB).

4th Rd.: Darrell Scott (DT), Kaluka Maiava (LB), Vaughn Martin (DE), Stanley Arnoux (LB), Laurence Sidbury (DE), Terrance Taylor (DT).

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Impact-Analysis/the-bust-factor-analysis-of-2007-2009-drafts.html

too early for jerry and sidbury didnt even play last yr. if you guys remember, he and the beer-man were racking up sacks

The fact is the most players, right from the start, either play well or not. Those players that do take 3 or more years are EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE. This RARELY happens. It is highly probable that Jerry will not contribute anymore than his current role with the team.

Really?

Sure, there are players that come in and tear up the league, most actually make their biggest jump in year two, but a good chunk of them take some time:

WR/TE receptions

Roddy White, 29, 30, 89 receptions

Tony Gonzalez 33, 59, 76

Reggie Wayne 27, 49, 68 receptions

Greg Jennings 45 ,53, 80 receptions

Andre Johnson 66, 79, 63, 103

Miles Austin 0, 5, 13, 81

Chad Ochocinco 28, 69, 90

Derrick Mason 14, 25, 8, 63

Lance Moore, 1, 32 ,79

Hines Ward, 15, 61, 48, 94

Donald Driver, 3, 21,13, 70

Steve Smith Car 10, 54, 88

Sacks

Patrick Kerney 2.5, 2.5, 12

Osi Umenyiora 1, 7, 14.5

Justin Tuck 1, 0, 10

Charles Johnson 0, 6, 4, 11.5

Shaun Phillips 4, 7, 11.5

James Harrison 1 , 3, 0, 8.5

Trent Cole 5, 8, 12.5

Chris Long 4, 5, 8.5

Ray Edwards 3, 5,5, 8.5

Hardly seems like a rarity to me.

LIMITED...

Even though you are full of crap, I have to give you some originality points for "MattyRatic".