Jerry/Sidbury are already considered a bust

1st Rd.: Tyson Jackson (DE), Aaron Curry (LB), Larry English (LB), Robert Ayers (LB), Peria Jerry (DT).

2nd Rd.: Clint Sintim (LB), David Veikune (DE), Sen’Derrick Marks (DT), Cody Brown (LB)

3rd Rd.: Alex Magee (DT), Jarron Gilbert (DT), Jason Williams (LB).

4th Rd.: Darrell Scott (DT), Kaluka Maiava (LB), Vaughn Martin (DE), Stanley Arnoux (LB), Laurence Sidbury (DE), Terrance Taylor (DT).

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Impact-Analysis/the-bust-factor-analysis-of-2007-2009-drafts.html

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

Really?

I think this year we will see whether Jerry is a bust or not. Honestly, I am concerned, but will wait 1 more season before passing judgement.

Yeah, I left a comment on this article that it was too early to consider Jerry a bust considering the circumstances of his NFL career so far.

Yeah, I left a comment on this article that it was too early to consider Jerry a bust considering the circumstances of his NFL career so far.

Exactly. This is the year that really counts. We all know it takes a whole year to fully recover from a knee. He was NOT a 100% last year.

Waaay to early for anyone to be on that list. I think this will be a telling year for anyone on that list, but especially from Jerry. We saw flashes of explosiviness when he was a rookie during the preseason.

It's a shame he got hurt, but the good news is-- he is he went a full year playing in a really spotty role for us and didn't have any setbacks. Plus what is Jerry, like 27 now? I think with that last year letting the injury heal with only playing very little minutes helped him hopefuy regain form and come back well rested and just fresh.

As for Sid..how can you call a raw 4th rounder a bust? However I think we shall see more from him this year also. After a extremely solid rookie year playing a limited role, he had an impact even scoring a TD with a sack. The coaching staff clearly wanted to coach'em up sat year because he didn't even dress for most of the season (hopefully he wasn't in the dog house for some reason).

I personally can't consider these guys busts yet because I'm expecting big things from them this year.

Sidbury was always a project and should not be considered a bust ..He would have been better suited for 3-4 rush LB . Jerry might never pan out to anything and in reality with all the injury concerns he had in college this was a missed pick by TD but he can probably still constribute but he might not be the player we thought we were drafting another BABS and inside pass rushing force

Guest Gritz

Sidbury was always a project and should not be considered a bust ..He would have been better suited for 3-4 rush LB . Jerry might never pan out to anything and in reality with all the injury concerns he had in college this was a missed pick by TD but he can probably still constribute but he might not be the player we thought we were drafting another BABS and inside pass rushing force

....and he could turn out to be a real force at DT once he has confidence in that knee.

My scenario has just as much possibility of coming to fruition as yours does.

I think you can call Tyson Jackson, Larry English and especially Aaron Curry busts to this point. They were all picked in the top half of the draft with expectations of immediate impact compared to players taken in the second half of the draft which are normally more established teams. Aaron Curry went 4th overall and has not lived up to it. Tyson Jackson was taken THIRD overall and is a pitiful 3-4 DE and was highly overdrafted. Larry English has 5 sacks in 2 seasons and couldn't even fully take the role that Merriman left vacant and that's what he was brought in for. I'll even include Robert Ayers who is a sad excuse for a 3-4 OLB which is a lot easier to get sacks than 4-3 DE and he still only has 1.5. JA98 has more than that lol

But I think the thing that's different between these guys is that Jerry was seriously injured causing him to miss valuable time. The others weren't. I wouldn't call anyone a bust because of an injury.

Let's see

Clabo was a pro bowler in 2010 yet he started as UDFA in 2004 that's 6 years

Dahl started as an UDFA in 2005 that's 5 years

yet Jerry and Sibury are bust after 2 years,

why just because they were high draft choices??

Sibury is a pass rusher, he just happens to fall belind Abe and Bierman at present and gets very little playing toime. way way to early too call him a bust.

Jerry (or any player) can't prevent getting injured, and no one can control the actual amount of time it takes to recover. Still too early to call him a bust.

I think these people just looked a current stats; ie Jerry less than 1/2 the snaps

and they looked no further -- how long it takes to recover from his type injury. Every player seems to take at least 1 and 1/2 years to recovery from those knee injuries.

Sidbury only in about 10 games very little playing time, never look at the reason why ie 3rd in line as pass rusher.

Edited by delaigle

Well, even thou I did not want Jerry, I still think you give him one more year before grading him. I however don't think he will ever be worth what we gave for him. I wanted to trade down and take Ziggy Hood in the 2nd round, who is on his way to maybe be the steal of that draft for a DT , he's a bull on steroids. As far as Sidbury , if he stays on the team and does a good job as even a backup then what do you expect for a 4th rounder, but I expect to see Sid come on strong this year and surprise a lot of people and I did like that pick.

After missing the first four games of his freshman season due to injury, Jerry played in 39 of 44 games, and all the games of his last 2 seasons. That's not injury prone.

For Jerry I think this is a make or break year. Yes, he got injured his rookie year and wasn't 100% last year while he was still recovering. He should be back to full health at this point so it is time to step up.

As far as Sidbury, he has the talent but he was really raw coming into the draft anyway (thus the reason he went in the 4th instead of higher). Guys like Sid take time to develop so I don't think you can call him a bust yet. If we don't see anything from him this year I could see him being given one more year before we consider him a bust.

Guest Gritz

Jerry's a bust because he's going to be 27 at the start of the season. You'd expect players to be playing at their prime starting from 25.

Quality and even Pro Bowl-level defensive tackles play well into their 30s.

Pretty much negates your typical weak supposition.

Well, even thou I did not want Jerry, I still think you give him one more year before grading him. I however don't think he will ever be worth what we gave for him. I wanted to trade down and take Ziggy Hood in the 2nd round, who is on his way to maybe be the steal of that draft for a DT , he's a bull on steroids. As far as Sidbury , if he stays on the team and does a good job as even a backup then what do you expect for a 4th rounder, but I expect to see Sid come on strong this year and surprise a lot of people and I did like that pick.

would not have been able to get Hood in round 2.

I loved the Jerry pick based on his talent, IMO the only thing that will prevent him from being good is injury.

I liked Hood too, but think Jerry is def a more talented player.

Jerry's a bust because he's going to be 27 at the start of the season. You'd expect players to be playing at their prime starting from 25.

Hmm, ok.

so say Jerry breaks out this year and has 8 great seasons (35 years old then).

He is a bust?

Remember Jamaal Williams? Dont think anyone is calling him a bust anymore.

Aaron Curry was considered to be the only "Sure Pick" in his draft class.

that what worries me about Weatherspoon and spending a 1st round pick on a OLB . They simply dont make the impact warranted for 1st round draft pick .

1st round draft picks- OT, QB, WR, DE , DB, MLB

or a cant miss prospect at S like a Tory P

Guards/C/OLB/DT should all be found in the middle to later rounds .

I think you're too quick to write him off. Sustaining a serious injury near most players peak years doesn't make him a bust. Simply means he will be able to peak later. He hasn't yet, but you'll know when he does.