What I believe is our BIGGEST defensive flaw..

Number 1...IT AIN'T THE PLAYERS!

I personally believe we have a playoff caliber group on defense, along w/ an adequate amount of depth..

What I believe has truly hindered this defense is the type of spacing that our corners are asked to give the receivers. They seem to be freaking 7-10 yrds off of the L.O.S on every down!!! Ever wonder why our d-linemen always seem to be a step off from getting a sack? IT'S B/C OPPOSING RECEIVERS ARE WIDE OPEN AS SOON AS THE BALL IS SNAPPED! Go back and look for yourself... If anyone here believes that Nnamdi or Revis could keep up with the opposition while playing 10 yrds off on every play, YOU ARE INSANE. Why are our corners not given the opportunity to press, and disrupt the timing of of our opponents. They could also approach the L.O.S as if they are going to press, and then bail out into zone coverage. I don't know who's behind this mind-numbing defensive scheme, whether it's Smitty or BVG, but they should be slapped for it. Why pay Dunta, an ELITE press coverage corner, so much money only to handcuff him w/ this stupid off-coverage?! Check out the Mike Williams TD from the Tampa game in Atl, and you'll see what I mean. No one who has ever played the game, would be able to stop this...

DB's play off WR's if they are in a Cover type scheme where they're responsible for more than just the WR they're covering. They have a better chance to identify the play run/pass which gives them a much better opportunity to make a play on a RB to support the front seven.

I would say it's not as easy as put the DB on the WR and boom problem solved. each defensive formation has pros and cons.

I've been thinking it's a problem with the scheme for a while now.

Another thing that is flawed with the system is that several times last season is that we would have the DBs play off and then bring pressure and have no help over the top. QB throws a slant or quick out, (and why not since the db is about 10 yards away), and if the db takes a bad angle or misses and it's a TD since there's no help.

It's what happened on the TB play.

The thing that was really frustrating was that the defense was showing promise in the 2nd Saints game but for some insane reason we went back to the same old scheme for the Green Bay game... Actually there may have been one wrinkle... We spied Rogers.

I've been thinking it's a problem with the scheme for a while now.

Another thing that is flawed with the system is that several times last season is that we would have the DBs play off and then bring pressure and have no help over the top. QB throws a slant or quick out, (and why not since the db is about 10 yards away), and if the db takes a bad angle or misses and it's a TD since there's no help.

It's what happened on the TB play.

The thing that was really frustrating was that the defense was showing promise in the 2nd Saints game but for some insane reason we went back to the same old scheme for the Green Bay game... Actually there may have been one wrinkle... We spied Rogers.

Yep. I thought we would play that way the rest of the season. It worked good against NO.

It's Tim Lewis all the way. He's been the most soft defensive back coach during his stint with the Seahawks, and probably also in his other responsibilities the last couple of years when you read through some reports. It's his style, and it won't change as long as he's in this position.

Oh and by the way, they also played this IDIOTIC type of coverage throughout the entire Green Bay game. Did they really think Rodgers wouldn't exploit this??!! That scares me...

P.S. In my opinion, D. Franks should be prepared to be the starter opposite Dunta, with Grimetime as our Nickel Corner.

+1. Glad someone realized D. Franks is a beast.