Back to the Schedule - I only see 3 gimme games

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait until August to publish my prediction but if you press me right now I'm leaning more toward 10-6 than 13-3. I think a lot of people are taking the MIN, TB, DET and possibly one or both of the CAR games lightly. This schedule is no joke. Very 2009ish.

But why Detroit...Stafford? He hasn't seen the like of a constant Falcons blitz...I can understand QBs in our devision...I was never SOLD on Stafford and he didn't disappoint me yet.

I think you are overrating a LOT of those teams. The Bears are tough at home when it gets cold. They don't have Martz and will be installing a new system with limited prep time due to the lockout. Jax has not been hard since Smith left. Seattle is not hard, we destroyed them on their field and they lost Hasslebeck. Minny is not hard without a QB and no time to work them into sync on offense. The Bucs were tough with Talib, without him, they take a step back. And the Texans have been overrated going into every season.

Eagles, Colts, Saints, and Packers are what I would call hard. Lions and Bears should be solid teams. I dont think thats any tougher than last year. Swap the Colts for Steelers and Bears for Ravens, and last year's schedule was tougher IMO.

I say screw the playoffs if all we are gonna do is go there and lose. I won't be happy with just another playoff appearance. We have to go in there and make some noise, like Green Bay did last season. No more one and done.

UHH...NO sh!t sherlock. i made that statement in reference to the topic which is about how hard our regular season schedule is.

Jacksonville almost won the AFC South last year. They have a very good defense to go with Maurice Jones Drew, an OK QB(Garrard) and a good TE(Marcedes Lewis). We should win the game at home, but you are kidding yourself if you think that is an easy game.

Houston has the best wide receiver in the game(at least top 2) in Andre Johnson, a QB that throws for over 4,000yds the last few years and the NFL rushing champ in Arian Foster. The problem w/ the Texans has always been defense. Well now they have Wade Phillips as Defensive Coordinator - who works wonders for defenses(just not as head coach). Texans have Mario Williams, Brian Cushing, newly drafted JJ Watt and Brooks Reed(who a lot of us Falcons fans liked in the draft). This will also be a road game. You don't think this will be a hard game? if not, get real!

Detroit won its last 4 games last year, and had the defensive rookie of the year in Ndamukong Suh. How do you think Todd McClure is gonna fare against Suh? I will tell you how - McClure is gonna get rag-dolled. Jim Schwartz is a very good head coach and is leading the Lions out of the dregs of the NFC - they are an up-n-coming team. Jahvid Best was having a rookie-of-the-year type season before getting dinged up. Calvin Johnson is a beast - who is covering Calvin for Falcons? Grimes-NO...Dunta-Puh-leze. As if Lions offensive did not have enough weapons with CJ,Best and Pettigrew - they now added Mikel Shoure who is arguably the best RB in the draft and maybe the most explosive widedout in Titus Young. Oh yeah, that is a road game as well. Easy?.....NOT.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the part about the Texans with Phillips.

We play some talent-laden teams this year. I beleive if we make it out of this season with a 10-6 record, we will have been "tried by fire", and could bode well for our state of being in the playoffs.

Well, last year we faced Brees twice, Freeman twice and Rodgers twice

We faced Bradford who may have certainly been better than Newton his first year

We faced Flacco who is as good as Schaub IMO (better at winning)

We faced Palmer who is as good as Cutler and that is the first game - so we may not even see it if this lockout keeps up.

Manning is an island.

Vick could be very good or very bad - and that is the second game - so we may not even see it if this lockout keeps up. I'm more worried about the Eagles as a whole than the QB here - we just can't seem to get past them.

We will face some extremely good QB's this year - but we did last year as well.

There is no way this schedule is harder than '09 though - not even close. A bye week in the 4th week. Faced 4 teams off a bye - mostly 3-4 really good defenses with huge lines, road trips from ****. We played 5 out of 7 on the road. Played the Patriots, the Cowboys, the Eagles, the Giants, the Jets and Miami. We had the worst schedule I can remember. Not to mention we were injury riddled most of the year. No way that wasn't the toughest year Ryan has had to face - and may have to face for a while. We missed the playoffs - but he came back early from an injury to lead us to back to back winning seasons - something I won't forget.

This year is nothing like that. Our road trips are distributed fairly well. Our bye week falls dead center of the season and we don't face a single team coming off their bye. We face some great teams with great QB's - but our schedule is not bad - just tough opponents. Now, with the addition of JJ and JR - plus whoever we pick up in FA - we will just be better.

I feel pretty good about this year - if it happens.

u do have a good point but a big differance is the blue print the packers gave any team with a decent qb what to do against our defense, and our defensive co. isnt 1 to make adjustments. I hope u are right and i am wrong bc i want to us go to the playoffs and win, i just think that any good qb is going to dink and dunk our soft zone all the way to the end zone over and over again, granted the packers are great and we beat them once but if im playing the falcons im watching that playoff game over and over again.

I'm not worried about Manning. He's too inconsistent to worry about. Just hope he doesn't shoot the lights out against us and Turner will burn up the Colts defense.

I'm not a Colt's fan at all but come on Peyton Fricken Manning is one of the best in the game!!!!

Edited by canadianatlfalcon

Two things that merit consideration.

1. We are going to beat Philly TWICE this season.

2. Peyton Manning.

Flush him out of the pocket and keep his receivers covered = Win.

Side note:

Detroit yikes, better be careful, but some draws and screens will fix that

game.

IMO Suh is an idiot because he plays to hurt or injure the opponents.

This is the NFL and what goes around comes around.

John Abraham is my Favorite DE of All Time.

He gets after the QB's and does not injure them.

We have watched Abraham countless times wrap up a QB and roll em

in a protective manner.

A pure Sportsman as I have ever seen.

u do have a good point but a big differance is the blue print the packers gave any team with a decent qb what to do against our defense, and our defensive co. isnt 1 to make adjustments. I hope u are right and i am wrong bc i want to us go to the playoffs and win, i just think that any good qb is going to dink and dunk our soft zone all the way to the end zone over and over again, granted the packers are great and we beat them once but if im playing the falcons im watching that playoff game over and over again.

If everyone could play the way GB played that day every game - we'd be in trouble. Look - we screwed the pooch in that game - played like crap.

But, if everyone thinks that is the blueprint - and thinks they will win against us that way - they have a hard road against the Falcons this year.

I know two things.

1. I go to every game - and that was not a game where the Falcons played well at all. In fact, it may have been the worst performance I've seen from that unit - period. That is not what you will see week in and week out.

2. This team, like all the other teams, is shoring up their weaknesses. While I expect a tough fight every week out there and some losses - if any team foolishly thinks they have our number because of that game -they will come in unprepared for what they get. Do I think they will? No - I don't. We got our butts handed to us by Philly as well - embarrassingly so - then went on to win every other game during the regular season - except the home game against the Saints.

That game was horrible. That game did not define us.

If everyone could play the way GB played that day every game - we'd be in trouble. Look - we screwed the pooch in that game - played like crap.

But, if everyone thinks that is the blueprint - and thinks they will win against us that way - they have a hard road against the Falcons this year.

I know two things.

1. I go to every game - and that was not a game where the Falcons played well at all. In fact, it may have been the worst performance I've seen from that unit - period. That is not what you will see week in and week out.

2. This team, like all the other teams, is shoring up their weaknesses. While I expect a tough fight every week out there and some losses - if any team foolishly thinks they have our number because of that game -they will come in unprepared for what they get. Do I think they will? No - I don't. We got our butts handed to us by Philly as well - embarrassingly so - then went on to win every other game during the regular season - except the home game against the Saints.

That game was horrible. That game did not define us.

I think it is a blueprint. One put out there by the Saints. I just hope we address the DE issue in the offseason. I dont like Ray Edwards too. They shoulda gone after Peppers last yr, but they went after a corner. Anyway, we'll be fine if we can get more pressure on the QB

i wouldn't call the eagles game a blue print, we were out done by trick plays and missed sacks on Kolb, Green Bay simply exploited out bend but dont break defense and dink and dumped all the way to the end zone every time they had the ball and BVG never made an adjustment, we have talent on our defense and it needs to be used better, Brian Williams being out for that game against GB def hurt us a lot and if we take away Ryan's pick six we could have possibly had a diff outcome but the blue print against our defense is take what they give u and BVG never gets the corners playing physical

i wouldn't call the eagles game a blue print, we were out done by trick plays and missed sacks on Kolb, Green Bay simply exploited out bend but dont break defense and dink and dumped all the way to the end zone every time they had the ball and BVG never made an adjustment , we have talent on our defense and it needs to be used better, Brian Williams being out for that game against GB def hurt us a lot and if we take away Ryan's pick six we could have possibly had a diff outcome but the blue print against our defense is take what they give u and BVG never gets the corners playing physical

i'm starting to get concerned about BVG, we increase his talent to work with each year, its time for some results. While Falcons are not uber-talented on defensive side, he needs to get more out of these guys. BVG needs to step-up his game.

Road game against a team that closed out 2010 with four straight wins (GB, TB, MIN, MIA). Almost beat the Bears in the game before that run. Added Fairley, Titus Young and LeShoure. Get Stafford and Vanden Bosch back. This game will not be easy.

Oh okay. Did I mention that we have quite a few "Probowlers" on our offense? I didn't go into much detail about OUR draft picks: Quizz and JJ. We do have a pretty "vicious" defense that needs just a little tweak. Remember they (our defense) got to Brees/Rodgers quite a few times, but couldn't manage to bring him down (Probowl type QBs). No game in the NFL is "easy" but we are very solid football team that's improved over the past few years.

Guest Gritz

Yea I remember last season the Steeler game was supposed to be a Gimme. Then there was that Eagles game, another Gimme.

According to who?

I guess it depends upon who you listen and give credence to.