Being realistic: JJ trade wasn't even close to worth it.

We got Roddy at slot number 27, so WRs don't need to be top 10 picks.

Be realistic, do you realize that what we gave up would probably be enough to get Larry Fitzgerald? However, I love that we made the move.

It's an odd feeling. The move was not a good one, but I love that we have Julio Jones on this team.

Can you show me where Arizona said they would trade Larry, and could you also explain how this Madden trade would've happened before the draft this year, with the labor situation and all?

Threads like this prove that Atlanta has the worst fans. Looks like I will be bumping this stupid thread in November.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just in:

Just because you like them doesn't mean the reigning NFL Executive of the Year feels the same way.

I'm sure he'd appreciate your input though. Here's his address:

Thomas Dimitroff

General Manager

Atlanta Falcons

4400 Falcon Parkway

Flowery Branch, GA 30542

Let us know what he says okay?

TD is not above criticism. This idea of " he cant make mistakes cuz he drafted matt ryan or cuz he's NFL exec of the yr" is ridiculous. We've succeeded under him but he has made questionable picks as GM. This reminds me when i would complain about richt and UGA fans were saying that he averaged 10 wins a season blah blah blah. TD will never ever be in richts position but he's not above criticism

Be realistic, do you realize that what we gave up would probably be enough to get Larry Fitzgerald? However, I love that we made the move.

It's an odd feeling. The move was not a good one, but I love that we have Julio Jones on this team.

You got the wrong site again bro you want Baltimoreravens.com

In the six drafts since Coach has taken over, we've picked defense with our first pick four times. So, yeah...

whatever.. the philosophy remains the same and you know it. signing drew brees, drafting reggie bust early, trading up to draft mark ingram, having a plethora of wide receivers drafted by Payton. Signing jeremy shockey a few years ago. on and on and on. So yeah... Also, we have one reciever. One. we needed more.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Roddy will turn 30 during the season, but at the same time guys can play a lot longer than they have in years past. Roddy probably still has 4 or 5 years before he even begins to really lose a step.

TD is not above criticism. This idea of " he cant make mistakes cuz he drafted matt ryan or cuz he's NFL exec of the yr" is ridiculous. We've succeeded under him but he has made questionable picks as GM. This reminds me when i would complain about richt and UGA fans were saying that he averaged 10 wins a season blah blah blah. TD will never ever be in richts position but he's not above criticism

you're right. TD is NOT above criticism. I do like the trade and the pick though. I'll like it even more if we are able to land a proven vet d player in free agency....which i think we will.

whatever.. the philosophy remains the same and you know it. signing drew brees, drafting reggie bust early, trading up to draft mark ingram, having a plethora of wide receivers drafted by Payton. Signing jeremy shockey a few years ago. on and on and on. So yeah... Also, we have one reciever. One. we needed more.

We signed Drew Brees because we didn't have a QB.

We drafted Reggie Bush because he was viewed as a "sure thing" and was too good to pass up.

We drafted Mark Ingram because he was very high on our draft board and dropped.

The only two impact recievers we have that were drafted by Payton were a seventh rounder in Colston, and Meachem. Henderson and Moore were here before Payton.

We traded for Shockey because we needed a TE and Payton liked him in New York, former coach.

So yeah, horribly wrong...again.

In the six drafts since Coach has taken over, we've picked defense with our first pick four times. So, yeah...

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Roddy will turn 30 during the season, but at the same time guys can play a lot longer than they have in years past. Roddy probably still has 4 or 5 years before he even begins to really lose a step.

To me thats still a gamble,especially when he is the number 1 big play threat, also with roddy as much as i love what he brings his game is more physical than mental or technical and whilst guys have been productive recievers into their mid 30's to remain an elite threat as a number 1 is not something that i would like my gm to count on,also i think that Julio's combination of size,speed and aggression fit the blueprint for our style of play too much for us to ignore.

Guest Gritz

Never said he was above criticism.

Personally I just find it more than a little funny though that the guy who has been primarily responsible for the turnaround of this franchise gets continually berated and questioned by posters on here for every move he makes.

I kinda expect it from opposing teams' trolls but it's somewhat confusing when fans of this team do the same thing.

In my book Dimitroff has earned the benefit of the doubt.

If you don't feel that way then knock yourself out. ;)

We signed Drew Brees because we didn't have a QB.

We drafted Reggie Bush because he was viewed as a "sure thing" and was too good to pass up.

We drafted Mark Ingram because he was very high on our draft board and dropped.

The only two impact recievers we have that were drafted by Payton were a seventh rounder in Colston, and Meachem. Henderson and Moore were here before Payton.

We traded for Shockey because we needed a TE and Payton liked him in New York, former coach.

So yeah, horribly wrong...again.

wrong how? you just proved my original assertion right. teams make decisions based on needs like payton made decisions based on needs. what's the difference?..NONE! if Colston, Henderson, Meachem, and Moore hadn't panned out do you really think that Payton would not be doing whatever it takes to get Brees some playmakers? you just make it up as you go along....up until the draft we had ONe receiver..ONe.

You've lost this one, just stop. You are being realistic, but not logical. Julio Jones will be a high character Rookie, and a top 10 WR is awesome when you have a good QB. You bring up Roddy White and Antonio Gates. Jerry Rice was picked 16th overall because he was from a small school, and his 40 time. Randy Moss 21st overall because of Character Issues. Fitzgerald was the 3rd overall pick. I am just trying to identify the logic in your statements.

I find it FUNNY everyone says Julio is "a high character Rookie" now how in the heck anyone knows that is beyond me. If you read he is that's fine but if that's the case why are people not reading other facts. Like these "struggles with bouts of drops. Needs to shore up his hands and route-running to develop into a consistent chain-mover at the next level" or "Will drop the routine pass on occasion and body catches at times.

I have been called a hater but not true I'm being realistic. He hasn't play a down before we says he is going to be great lets wait and see.

Where's the dead horse when you need it?! You don't know if the pick is worth it or not the kid hasn't played a down yet! He could turn out to be one of the greatest receivers ever or he could bust but we don't know that yet!

that's pretty much it.. we have no idea who good julio will be.. it could be a horrible trade or a brilliant move.. it's up to julio jones now to prove how good or how bad of a trade this was.. i hope to heck it was a brilliant move.

it was an aggressive move yes, and it proves we needed the player.

but it is the team that needed another great receiver. not just ryan. it's not his fault we didn't have anyone other than roddy who could consistently get open.

we only had one real threat in the passing game. how many succesful teams can you say that about?

our receiving group was nowhere near the same level as the saints last season.

yeah, we'll see in a few years how those players pan out as well. it's really just a guessing game at this point.

and OT + secondary is not that big of a need at this point.

WOW if it proves we needed the player what does that say about Harry D. and Kerry Meier this first one everyone has been saying second year after knee surgery is always good year. The second everyone say if he comes back he will be good. Now all we have is Roddy & a 34 year old TE, I just love the logic.

I find it FUNNY everyone says Julio is "a high character Rookie" now how in the heck anyone knows that is beyond me. If you read he is that's fine but if that's the case why are people not reading other facts. Like these "struggles with bouts of drops. Needs to shore up his hands and route-running to develop into a consistent chain-mover at the next level" or "Will drop the routine pass on occasion and body catches at times.

I have been called a hater but not true I'm being realistic. He hasn't play a down before we says he is going to be great lets wait and see.

usually you can tell he is high character by the way he handles interviews. and the way he behaves off the field.

his kind of dropped passes is coachable. he is not dropping them due to bad hands, but because he is too quick to move his attention to running after the catch. coachable.

roddy had the same thing. JERRY RICE of all people, had the same thing in the beginning of his career.

someone call whine-1-1 this baby needs a waaaaaaaaaambulance

WOW if it proves we needed the player what does that say about Harry D. and Kerry Meier this first one everyone has been saying second year after knee surgery is always good year. The second everyone say if he comes back he will be good. Now all we have is Roddy & a 34 year old TE, I just love the logic.

Julio is not coming in to replace those guys. he's coming in to replace jenkins. we haven't had a great #2 receiver in a long time. we had a decent guy but not great.

i do believe Meier will be good in the role he was drafted for. a reliable safe hand 3rd down/red zone receiver. in other words a finneran type player. not an explosive guy like Jones.

not too sure about Douglas anymore. he didn't have the safest hands last season.

Guest Gritz

Julio is not coming in to replace those guys. he's coming in to replace jenkins. we haven't had a great #2 receiver in a long time. we had a decent guy but not great.

i do believe Meier will be good in the role he was drafted for. a reliable safe hand 3rd down/red zone receiver. in other words a finneran type player. not an explosive guy like Jones.

not too sure about Douglas anymore. he didn't have the safest hands last season.

Great post DK.

While I understand what your saying I'm little confused. Last TWO years people have called for Jenkins to go and people have posted he is to good of a blocking WR with out run first offense the team will not get rid of him now guess Jenkins (who I want to get rid of for last two years)has forgot how to block or what. We just can't have our cake and eat it. Will we trade him or what!!!!

While I understand what your saying I'm little confused. Last TWO years people have called for Jenkins to go and people have posted he is to good of a blocking WR with out run first offense the team will not get rid of him now guess Jenkins (who I want to get rid of for last two years)has forgot how to block or what. We just can't have our cake and eat it. Will we trade him or what!!!!

TD has said they plan to keep Jenkins, but i believe he will only stay this season because of his salary.

the blocking is part of the reason why the choice fell on Julio. because he does that pretty well too. and on top of that, he should be a better receiver too.

oh and thanks for the kind words Gritblitzer

Edited by FalconsfanDK

We got lucky with Roddy in that draft. If we were up there picking in top 10, we may have pick Troy Williamson. He would've been the only 1 that fit the bill explosive Rec. Parrish maybe, but the knock on him was size. Clearly...clearly AJ & JJ fit the big explosive WR bill this year. JJ entire broad JUMPS @ the combine was something special to watch. The ones he couldn't stick the landing was great too. I'm excited!

Guest Gritz

We won't know until we see Julio perform. This fanbase complains about TD not making bold moves and when he makes one we still complain.

Yeah, I'm plus 1ing that also.

Dayum.....All TD and Smitty have said was that we needed to get a lot more explosive since the Green Bay beat down.

With Jones and Rodgers we went from being a Ford Focus to a possible Lamborghini.