Being realistic: JJ trade wasn't even close to worth it.

Same thing it says about Saints as a whole. Without Mark Ingram, you get beat by teams who shouldn't be in the playoff's because you can't run the ball.

That's not even comparable. I'll admit it, the Saints NEEDED an elite back. We addressed a bigtime need, a need that we've had since 08.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difference in that is that Wayne was the 30th overall pick, Harrison was the 19th pick, and the Colts often draft BPA. There's a huge difference in taking BPA, and trading up 21 spots or whatever the number was to grab a guy. That tells me that the Falcons believe that Ryan NEEDS another guy like that. You don't trade up 21 spots and give up 5 value picks just because you "want" another elite reciever. You do it because you need one.

Not to even mention the needs part. The Falcons needed to upgrade their pass rush, and they had Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, Nick Fairley, Ryan Kerrigan, etc sitting in their laps. Could have gone after Prince Amukamara to help your secondary, or upgraded your OL with the #1 OT in the draft. But instead, yall selected something that honestly could have been addressed in FA or through a trade.

The big names this year in free agency is on the defensive side of the ball not offense. The Falcons are over 20 million under the cap and this team has every year since TD been the GM has picked up a big name in free agency. Him and Blank has made it very clear they will be doing the same thing again.

He wasn't worth what? More question marks? So we essentially traded away more lower rated question marks for a higher rated question mark... We don't even know who we would have picked later so what's the point?. Maybe we could have gotten Peria Jerry's cousin at number 27. How exciting.

Let me put it this way. You gave up 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 2 4ths for Julio Jones, a WR who has never played a down in the NFL. For comparison sakes, Brandon Marshall was traded for a 2nd round pick, and Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th round pick. Jones may never be the reciever those two are, but maybe he will be, who knows. Honestly though, who would you rather have? Marshall, Boldin, or Jones? Me, give me the proven reciever.

Point being, rookies are overvalued. From the contracts they sign, to the picks you may have to give up to get them. The Saints, honestly, gave up too much for Mark Ingram. But that's just the state of the NFL, you have to overpay to get what you want.

Why do people continue to say "you GAVE UP 2 firsts"? We swapped one to move up 21 spots...how is that "giving up one" when you improve the pick you already had. We gave up a 1st, two seconds, and two fourths (which really aren't as valuable as everyone seems to be trying to act like they are.

Teams don't trade star receivers unless they have baggage, are due a big payday, or are dealing with a new staff that doesn't want them. All this, "They could have traded for a proven guy" is nonsense b/c it usually doesn't happen outside of a few special situations and NO PLAYER can be traded right now. So we were supposed to wait until after the draft and hope for an Anquan Boldin type situation? Yea, that makes sense.

The big names this year in free agency is on the defensive side of the ball not offense. The Falcons are over 20 million under the cap and this team has every year since TD been the GM has picked up a big name in free agency. Him and Blank has made it very clear they will be doing the same thing again.

Vincent Jackson, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Steve Smith, James Jones, Steve Breaston, Early Doucet, Mike Sims-Walker, Lance Moore, Danny Amendola, Santana Moss. Just a few of the free agents the Falcons could go after instead of trading five value picks for an unproven rookie.

Difference in that is that Wayne was the 30th overall pick, Harrison was the 19th pick, and the Colts often draft BPA. There's a huge difference in taking BPA, and trading up 21 spots or whatever the number was to grab a guy. That tells me that the Falcons believe that Ryan NEEDS another guy like that. You don't trade up 21 spots and give up 5 value picks just because you "want" another elite reciever. You do it because you need one.

Not to even mention the needs part. The Falcons needed to upgrade their pass rush, and they had Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, Nick Fairley, Ryan Kerrigan, etc sitting in their laps. Could have gone after Prince Amukamara to help your secondary, or upgraded your OL with the #1 OT in the draft. But instead, yall selected something that honestly could have been addressed in FA or through a trade.

it was an aggressive move yes, and it proves we needed the player.

but it is the team that needed another great receiver. not just ryan. it's not his fault we didn't have anyone other than roddy who could consistently get open.

we only had one real threat in the passing game. how many succesful teams can you say that about?

our receiving group was nowhere near the same level as the saints last season.

yeah, we'll see in a few years how those players pan out as well. it's really just a guessing game at this point.

and OT + secondary is not that big of a need at this point.

Edited by FalconsfanDK

YES!!! The Falcons do not need more YOUNG unproven draft picks on defense. We have enough young talent on D that needs to step up. They need proven veteran free agents on defense and they have the owner with the deep pockets and willingness to make this happen....i love the pick.

Why do people continue to say "you GAVE UP 2 firsts"? We swapped one to move up 21 spots...how is that "giving up one" when you improve the pick you already had. We gave up a 1st, two seconds, and two fourths (which really aren't as valuable as everyone seems to be trying to act like they are.

Teams don't trade star receivers unless they have baggage, are due a big payday, or are dealing with a new staff that doesn't want them. All this, "They could have traded for a proven guy" is nonsense b/c it usually doesn't happen outside of a few special situations and NO PLAYER can be traded right now. So we were supposed to wait until after the draft and hope for an Anquan Boldin type situation? Yea, that makes sense.

That's just the terminology, I guess. I get what your saying about the picks though.

Look at the list I just made. Plenty of guys out there the Falcons could have gone after, which would have allowed them to address actual needs in the draft.

Vincent Jackson, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Steve Smith, James Jones, Steve Breaston, Early Doucet, Mike Sims-Walker, Lance Moore, Danny Amendola, Santana Moss. Just a few of the free agents the Falcons could go after instead of trading five value picks for an unproven rookie.

Amendola? Moss? Moore? Doucet? Jones? Breaston? Are you seriously trying to label those guys elite? I mean, we won't know what Julio is until he gets on the field but I'm sure that everyone in the organization has higher hopes for him then those guys.

Holmes, Edwards, Jackson...elite level talent but have ALL HAD off-field issues and clearly aren't as young. Rice had 1 good year...not saying he's not good but I'd much rather have Julio then take a chance that he's going to produce like he did in 2010. Steve Smith...BEAST, but a diva who's getting older.

Honestly, at BEST Vincent Jackson was the one guy you could possibly make an argument for and even then...I think the Cons outweigh the pros.

Guest Gritz

That's just the terminology, I guess. I get what your saying about the picks though.

Look at the list I just made. Plenty of guys out there the Falcons could have gone after, which would have allowed them to address actual needs in the draft.

This just in:

Just because you like them doesn't mean the reigning NFL Executive of the Year feels the same way.

I'm sure he'd appreciate your input though. Here's his address:

Thomas Dimitroff

General Manager

Atlanta Falcons

4400 Falcon Parkway

Flowery Branch, GA 30542

Let us know what he says okay?

Why overpay for free-agent offense when we need free-agent defense? Our offense is already pretty darn good.....So it makes more sense to gamble on a stud rookie offensive player in the draft than gamble on a defensive player in the draft, when we need PROVEN stud veteran defensive players in free agency to help now.

problem is theres no way of knowing what kind of rules free agency is going to be operated under so whilst a guy like jackson would be nice,its not a gamble you can take if you want to win this year aswell as down the line,in a normal year by the time the draft rolled around we would have known whether atlanta was targeting any of those guys. I think the same thing could be said about the virtues of deangelo williams versus mark ingram, in a normal year i would rather have williams this year take ingram. Also in all honesty you're just throwing out names for the sake of it towards the end there,you cant compare talent wise or in terms of future production potential jones with aging guys like smith or moss or guys with skill sets that wouldnt work for what atlanta needs(a threat who has to be a accounted for and is capable of putting up 100 yard multi touchdown games against single coverage,and who can in a couple of years be a number 1 reciever) like moore or amendola

If what you are saying is correct then why trade YOUR pick to move back up to get an UNPROVEN running back and not just pick one up in free agency??? The Falcons have veteran leaders on offense so it make sense to draft a future replacement to Roddy. On the defense the team is very young so again it makes sense to go after a proven veteran to bring the youngters along. Green and Jones were the two best WRs in the draft PERIOD. The Falcons realize it and went up to get one of them.

1. we dont' know that we could have got fitz for those picks.

2. even if we did that would have really not been worth it since he is becoming a free agent very soon.

3. and even if we bypass that, JJ has at least 6-7 more years in the league then larry fitz.

Amendola? Moss? Moore? Doucet? Jones? Breaston? Are you seriously trying to label those guys elite? I mean, we won't know what Julio is until he gets on the field but I'm sure that everyone in the organization has higher hopes for him then those guys.

Holmes, Edwards, Jackson...elite level talent but have ALL HAD off-field issues and clearly aren't as young. Rice had 1 good year...not saying he's not good but I'd much rather have Julio then take a chance that he's going to produce like he did in 2010. Steve Smith...BEAST, but a diva who's getting older.

Honestly, at BEST Vincent Jackson was the one guy you could possibly make an argument for and even then...I think the Cons outweigh the pros.

Oh man...no, none of those guys are elite.

That's kind of the point, you guys don't need another elite reciever.

I thought that point was pretty obvious. Guess not.

i know. i almost didn't respond to his post after reading most of those names. give me a break....anyway WE NEED PROVEN VETERAN DEFENSIVE PLAYERS IN FREE AGENCY not offensive players. If you gamble, you gamble on the side of the ball that you feel more comfortable with i.e. trading up to get Julio, then you PAY for the guys in free agency for the side of the ball that you need the most immediate help. Especially in a year that you have money under whatever the cap is going to be and plenty of good defensive guys to sign.

That's not even comparable. I'll admit it, the Saints NEEDED an elite back. We addressed a bigtime need, a need that we've had since 08.

We NEEDED another elite WR. A need we've had since '98. Like I said, your offense was good before. Maybe you don't realize how much of a boost Ingram should have on your offense. Having a possible 1B as our #2 instead of Gonzo being our #2 and Jenkins..... i'm not going to even try to explain how good adding Jones and speedy pass catching back is going to make our offense blossom.

We gave up just about the same for two players that should really make both of our offenses really hard to defend.

So why now? It's not like any of your core guys, aside from Gonzo, are hovering around 35 years of age.

This won't be liked, but what does it say about Matt Ryan? The fact that the Falcons believe he needs two elite guys (possibly, for Julio) to take that next step?

What did it say about Brady, when the Patriots signed Moss.

What did it say about Brees, when they drafted Bush #2 overall.

What did it say when the 49ers and Cowboys of the 90's signed every top free agent available?

It says that we believe our time is NOW!!!

Further more all you Saints/Bucs/Eagles trolls would be all over us, had we NOT made the deal.

Threads titled "You blew a chance at a once in a lifetime player" "Who are you gonna get at #27...lolz" "Td doesn't have the stones to be a GM in the NFL" Would be running rampant instead of the ones declaring him a bust and TD incompetent.

you don't draft a player who happens to play a position of need and think that that position fills the position of need.

the defense doesn't need as many pieces as people make them out to. the offense needs a wr who can take the pressure off of roddy.

whatever dude. the very team that you love does not operate that way. Sean Payton is always loading up on offense.

Thing is we do,not just right now but as has been eluded to roddy white whilst not over the hill is by no means a spring chicken and i dont think we ever want to be in a situation were we have to rely on someone to come in and have to be an elite number 1 receiver as a rookie on a playoff team, so basicly we saw a combination of oppurtunity and talent that fits our system that may not come along again and decided to take our chance now.

whatever dude. the very team that you love does not operate that way. Sean Payton is always loading up on offense.

In the six drafts since Coach has taken over, we've picked defense with our first pick four times. So, yeah...

Thing is we do,not just right now but as has been eluded to roddy white whilst not over the hill is by no means a spring chicken and i dont think we ever want to be in a situation were we have to rely on someone to come in and have to be an elite number 1 receiver as a rookie on a playoff team, so basicly we saw a combination of oppurtunity and talent that fits our system that may not come along again and decided to take our chance now.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Roddy will turn 30 during the season, but at the same time guys can play a lot longer than they have in years past. Roddy probably still has 4 or 5 years before he even begins to really lose a step.