Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarloStanfield

Mike Vick

111 posts in this topic

Roddy and Jenks know talent and they both know Vick is >>>> Ryan having played with both. Even Roddy admitted he did squat to help Vick out (dropped passes, fumbles, blown assignments) when he was here.

f

Roddy and Jenks know talent and they both know Vick is >>>> Ryan having played with both. Even Roddy admitted he did squat to help Vick out (dropped passes, fumbles, blown assignments) when he was here.

Yea im sure both Roddy and Jenks hate the fact that they have been on a winning team the last 3 straight years with a chance to be in the playoffs all 3 times...Im sure they hate the fact that they know if the team is down in the 4th it aint over till the clock reads 00:00...im sure they hate the fact they get the ball thrown their way more times each season now that they know the ball wont be ran by the qb...

And of course Vick is going to be higher on this list, anyone could have seen that coming. The way he was praised by the media and the plays he made guaranteed he would be high on the list. Hes an exciting player that many teams hate to face (unless of course your the browns or lions)

2006-11-12-vick.jpg

Yea im sure both Roddy and Jenks hate the fact that they have been on a winning team the last 3 straight years with a chance to be in the playoffs all 3 times...Im sure they hate the fact that they know if the team is down in the 4th it aint over till the clock reads 00:00...im sure they hate the fact they get the ball thrown their way more times each season now that they know the ball wont be ran by the qb...

And of course Vick is going to be higher on this list, anyone could have seen that coming. The way he was praised by the media and the plays he made guaranteed he would be high on the list. Hes an exciting player that many teams hate to face (unless of course your the browns or lions)

2006-11-12-vick.jpg

Why was he praised by the media?

Because he's exciting, not because he's effective.

Vick has won more than 8 games in a season once.

Vick has had 3 good years out of 8, and 2 of those years he needed help to get to the playoffs.

Between waiting behind another QB, injuries and prison, Vick has started less half the games he could have - 160 possible starts, 79 actual starts.

If Vick does what he's always done, next year he'll:

Have a game or two where he looks otherworldly

Lose to a couple of bad teams

Still have trouble reading Ds and run too many times when a better play is available

Won't slide, carry the ball away from his body.

Be so beat up by the end of the year that he's ineffective.

If Vick figures out it's more important for his team for him to be healthy in Jan than to make a spectacular run, and changes his game, he'll be amazing. I don't think he's going to change though- he's still going to try and do it all, and wear himself out during the season.

We'll find out next year.

i

Because he's exciting, not because he's effective.

Vick has won more than 8 games in a season once.

Vick has had 3 good years out of 8, and 2 of those years he needed help to get to the playoffs.

Between waiting behind another QB, injuries and prison, Vick has started less half the games he could have - 160 possible starts, 79 actual starts.

If Vick does what he's always done, next year he'll:

Have a game or two where he looks otherworldly

Lose to a couple of bad teams

Still have trouble reading Ds and run too many times when a better play is available

Won't slide, carry the ball away from his body.

Be so beat up by the end of the year that he's ineffective.

If Vick figures out it's more important for his team for him to be healthy in Jan than to make a spectacular run, and changes his game, he'll be amazing. I don't think he's going to change though- he's still going to try and do it all, and wear himself out during the season.

We'll find out next year.

i

So he wasn't effective?

So he wasn't effective?

His 8 wins didn't qualify for the playoffs, he lost a game to Minn that cost his team a bye and he lost to GB in the playoffs. So, if you're looking at his TEAM'S success, no he wasn't effective

Adam25 likes this

His 8 wins didn't qualify for the playoffs, he lost a game to Minn that cost his team a bye and he lost to GB in the playoffs. So, if you're looking at his TEAM'S success, no he wasn't effective

By whose standards? From all the accolades he's received it seems he has been pretty effective last year.

By whose standards? From all the accolades he's received it seems he has been pretty effective last year.

He won 8 games, he lost to a wretched Minn team and cost his team a playoff bye, then lost in the playoffs. How is that effective from a team standpoint? Point is to win the super bowl, yet Vick blew a chance for a bye, didn't even win enough games to make the postseason, then lost in the first round.

He pus up some amazing numbers, but they don't translate into success for his team. Almost always been that way, when he rushed for 1000 yards, his team went 2-6 over the second half of the season and missed the playoffs.

Keep hearing critiques about how Ryan didn't win in the playoffs, yet Vick didn't even qualify for the playoffs this year [without Kolb's wins] and he's the most amazing QB around?

Because hes an exciting player, its simple.

Hes fun to watch if your not a fan of the team he is playing for. He was making plays for the first few weeks back, but then he became the Vick everyone in Atlanta knows. He choked down the stretch and started to get beat up way too much. He loses games that should be wins and it hurts the team. Yea he has good plays that are exciting but in the end how much does it help his team if they lose to bad teams and dont advance?

Perfect example was the NFCCG, he did nothing against the Eagles and the defense couldnt help keep the score low.

He won 8 games, he lost to a wretched Minn team and cost his team a playoff bye, then lost in the playoffs. How is that effective from a team standpoint? Point is to win the super bowl, yet Vick blew a chance for a bye, didn't even win enough games to make the postseason, then lost in the first round.

He pus up some amazing numbers, but they don't translate into success for his team. Almost always been that way, when he rushed for 1000 yards, his team went 2-6 over the second half of the season and missed the playoffs.

Keep hearing critiques about how Ryan didn't win in the playoffs, yet Vick didn't even qualify for the playoffs this year [without Kolb's wins] and he's the most amazing QB around?

Again I'll ask you by whose standards was he not effective? If he wasn't then there would be no pro bowl, no rewards, and he would be signing with another team after the lockout.

So was he in contention for the MVP because of the excitement he brings?

1. Because hes an exciting player, its simple.

2. Yea he has good plays that are exciting but in the end how much does it help his team if they lose to bad teams and dont advance?

3. Perfect example was the NFCCG, he did nothing against the Eagles and the defense couldnt help keep the score low.

1. So the only reason he got attention was due to excitement only. We had 13 wins last year and he had more air time than our entire team. Why is that?

2. About as much as any team that get's upset by an underdog. It happens sometimes.

3. Key note: We actually made the NFCCG that year with Vick, after a first round bye, at home, with a route of a wild card team.

Again I'll ask you by whose standards was he not effective? If he wasn't then there would be no pro bowl, no rewards, and he would be signing with another team after the lockout.

So was he in contention for the MVP because of the excitement he brings?

What's the goal of every team every year- to make the playoffs and then to win the super bowl. For all the excitement Vick generated last year, he didn't do any of that. He didn't win enough games to qualify for the playoffs, he cost his team a bye losing to a sub 500 team and lost in the playoffs after another QB had helped get there.

Vick fans always look at individual stats, never the team's results. Did Vick put up some great individual numbers- he did- best overall numbers of his career. And they didn't translate into wins or playoff success for the team.

Just like 13 wins don't mean much when you're bounced from the playoffs in your first game, 30 TDs in a year don't mean much if you lose your first playoff game.

What's the goal of every team every year- to make the playoffs and then to win the super bowl. For all the excitement Vick generated last year, he didn't do any of that. He didn't win enough games to qualify for the playoffs, he cost his team a bye losing to a sub 500 team and lost in the playoffs after another QB had helped get there.

Vick fans always look at individual stats, never the team's results. Did Vick put up some great individual numbers- he did- best overall numbers of his career. And they didn't translate into wins or playoff success for the team.

Just like 13 wins don't mean much when you're bounced from the playoffs in your first game, 30 TDs in a year don't mean much if you lose your first playoff game.

You can't have it both ways my man. If it was all about winning then Flacco and Sanchez are beasts don't you agree?

And again by whose standards was he not effective?

You can't have it both ways my man. If it was all about winning then Flacco and Sanchez are beasts don't you agree?

And again by whose standards was he not effective?

How am I having it both ways- my point through this whole discussion is that team stats are more important than individual stats.

If the players voted, what does it have to do with the media?

The main reason Vick was given high praise is because he didn't take any 1st team reps in the summer or preseason - he was the freakin backup!

Vick lost his game to the eventual SB champs by 5, Ryan lost his by 27.......

Wait - 5,4,3,2,1 - It was the Defense - :lol::lol::lol:

If the players voted, what does it have to do with the media?

The main reason Vick was given high praise is because he didn't take any 1st team reps in the summer or preseason - he was the freakin backup!

Vick lost his game to the eventual SB champs by 5, Ryan lost his by 27.......

Wait - 5,4,3,2,1 - It was the Defense - :lol::lol::lol:

Vick scored 16 points against GB, if his defense had allowed 41 points, how many would he have lost by?

Vick scored 16 points against GB, if his defense had allowed 41 points, how many would he have lost by?

'If' I would have all 6 lottery numbers, I would have won the lotto......

Vick can get out the bed and be great, Ryan has to work 100 times more than anyone else just to be above average.......it is what it is.

How am I having it both ways- my point through this whole discussion is that team stats are more important than individual stats.

So would you consider Sanchez and Flacco the top two young quarterbacks in the league? Both have playoff success each year they have been in the league and at least made it to the AFCCG.

'If' I would have all 6 lottery numbers, I would have won the lotto......

Vick can get out the bed and be great, Ryan has to work 100 times more than anyone else just to be above average.......it is what it is.

How is that an answer? Vick scored 16 points against the pack, his D allowed 21, if his D had allowed 41 points, he would have scored more?

So would you consider Sanchez and Flacco the top two young quarterbacks in the league? Both have playoff success each year they have been in the league and at least made it to the AFCCG.

Wasn't talking about them, don't really care how you rank them. Doesn't change my point about Vick. He didn't help his team much for all his exciting plays.

Wasn't talking about them, don't really care how you rank them. Doesn't change my point about Vick. He didn't help his team much for all his exciting plays.

I'm not ranking anyone at the moment just want to know what you think. Your the one stated that the only thing that matters is winning and individual stats mean nothing so would you consider them the best young qbs in the league?

Also why are you dodging the question on whose standards your basing his effectiveness on?

I'm not ranking anyone at the moment just want to know what you think. Your the one stated that the only thing that matters is winning and individual stats mean nothing so would you consider them the best young qbs in the league?

Also why are you dodging the question on whose standards your basing his effectiveness on?

You can argue that Sanchez and Flacco are two of the best young QBs, I'd prefer Ryan over either of them.

I've answered that repeatedly- if you're more concerned with a team winning than individual stats, then Vick's season wasn't nearly as impressive. If you're asking me who thinks like that, I'm assuming most GMs and coaches feel that way.

And I didn't say individual stats weren't important, just that team stats are more important.

You can argue that Sanchez and Flacco are two of the best young QBs, I'd prefer Ryan over either of them.

I've answered that repeatedly- if you're more concerned with a team winning than individual stats, then Vick's season wasn't nearly as impressive. If you're asking me who thinks like that, I'm assuming most GMs and coaches feel that way.

And I didn't say individual stats weren't important, just that team stats are more important.

for arguments sake, if your more concerned with team success then why would you take Ryan over those two?

That was not what I'm asking though. What I wanted to know was whose standards are you basing that he was not effective last season. Outside of here I have heard nothing but praise for the man throughout the league and on other boards, with the exception of select few for obvious reasons.

for arguments sake, if your more concerned with team success then why would you take Ryan over those two?

That was not what I'm asking though. What I wanted to know was whose standards are you basing that he was not effective last season. Outside of here I have heard nothing but praise for the man throughout the league and on other boards, with the exception of select few for obvious reasons.

Didn't say I agreed with the argument. I think that Ryan will have a better career than those two. I don't think Ryan has peaked at all, he'll get better the next 3-5 years. One of things that hurts Vick is he missed 48 starts in his prime due to prison and sitting behind McNabb- there is nothing so good for a QB as playing a bunch of games. Vick only has 33 more starts than Ryan in 5 more years of playing. He still get confused by blitzes because he just hasn't experienced it enough in live action.

There's hardly unanimous support for Vick on the eagles site, many of his detractors are making the exact arguments I have.