Julio Jones: Ownership Pick or GM pick?

FantasyFOF

Up to this point, Arthur Blank has been a great "hands-off" owner. Dimitroff and the coaching staff have had the final say in every player that has come into this organization. The Julio Jones move was the first time I've suspected the Falcons taking a player based on ownership influence.

It is highly uncharacteristic for Dimitroff to move up this high in a draft. I also raise an eyebrow at the price we paid for this draft pick. I would not be shocked if Blank told Dimitroff "get A.J. or Julio, do whatever it takes".

I know that Dimitroff would never admit it publicly, but do you guys suspect that this was going on behind the scenes?

I suspect the GM and HC have grown pretty tired of watching gamefilm where they have a WR position basically have zero impact on the game. That's rather important position on the field not doing anything. Commanding no respect from opposing defenses, and being a turnover/bad play liability when called on. I think it's rather easy to see a scenario where this is all GM an HC.

Not to mention: How many young players are going to put onto your team? This team is young and it's drafted alot of players the past 4 years. At a certain point, when you have a good young team in place, it's time to maximize the impact of the players you're getting.

I wouldn't be shocked if Blank had some input (and he obviously signed off on the decision), but I would be pretty surprised if he did so against the wishes of TD. I think Blank is smart enough and business savvy enough to know to respect the opinion of the people who he spends hundreds of thousands of dollars to employ to do just this job every year.

My gut feeling is that this decision doesn't get made unless everyone is on board...

Blank has owned our team for 10 years now, I wouldn't be shocked if he started using his "influence" a little more in player personnel decisions.

This is also a great move from a PR standpoint to try and draw in more fans from Alabama. My gut feeling tells me that this pick had more to do with Blank than Dimitroff.

Blank has owned our team for 10 years now, I wouldn't be shocked if he started using his "influence" a little more in player personnel decisions.

This is also a great move from a PR standpoint to try and draw in more fans from Alabama. My gut feeling tells me that this pick had more to do with Blank than Dimitroff.

Ridiculous.

I think Blank is smart enough and business savvy enough to know to respect the opinion of the people who he spends hundreds of thousands of dollars to employ to do just this job every year.

Really? Like when he and Reeves disagreed about Peerless Price? Or the well documented and terrible moves made with Vick? (bad contracts, bad trades, cover-ups and not having a clue about a million dollar employees personal activities!) "Business savvy" (having a great idea at a good time) does not make you smart in football. This move reeks of ownership desperation!

It irrelevant, as to who made what decision at this point, it's a done deal. IF and I emphasize IF, we have been paying attention boys and girls, TD has stated that we base our drafts on needs and scheme fit. Well we needed a dynamic stretch the field threat, that also fit into our running scheme as a willing blocker. Enter Julio Jones. I imagine AB was consulted as to if he was willing to pony up the $'s, but who cares it's his team. Lets be thankful he's not trying to play GM , ala Jerry Jones.

Just like Matt Ryan was Blank's decision. Just like Michael Turner was Blank's decision. Just like Tony Gonzalex was Blank's decision. Whenever a bold move is made for an offensive player, knuckleheads want to say Blank is overruling the GM.

And if so... GOOD. Because every bold decision made on offense in the past 3 years has worked out brilliantly for us.

Just like Matt Ryan was Blank's decision. Just like Michael Turner was Blank's decision. Just like Tony Gonzalex was Blank's decision. Whenever a bold move is made for an offensive player, knuckleheads want to say Blank is overruling the GM.

And if so... GOOD. Because every bold decision made on offense in the past 3 years has worked out brilliantly for us.

what did we trade for Gonzalez? He played 2 seasons and will be cut, retire or see little action this season! was he worth a 2nd (#50)...maybe.

Actually several years ago Artie said that it was on top of the agenda as far as he was concerned as owner to bring more players from nearby college teams from the Southeast to Atlanta

I believe that was a Rich McKay draft philosophy that he brought over from Tampa. That's a common practice by all teams, just based on scouting. It's always a scouting practice just based on practibility. It's easier to scout guys who are closer to your scouts.

Guest James H.

I believe that was a Rich McKay draft philosophy that he brought over from Tampa. That's a common practice by all teams, just based on scouting. It's always a scouting practice just based on practibility. It's easier to scout guys who are closer to your scouts.

Doesn't hurt that SEC is a fairly decent little pool of kids too. =D

Up to this point, Arthur Blank has been a great "hands-off" owner. Dimitroff and the coaching staff have had the final say in every player that has come into this organization. The Julio Jones move was the first time I've suspected the Falcons taking a player based on ownership influence.

It is highly uncharacteristic for Dimitroff to move up this high in a draft. I also raise an eyebrow at the price we paid for this draft pick. I would not be shocked if Blank told Dimitroff "get A.J. or Julio, do whatever it takes".

I know that Dimitroff would never admit it publicly, but do you guys suspect that this was going on behind the scenes?

This is the 1st time that I've felt the owner influenced the pick since Dimitroff became GM.

I've debated with myself about it since we made the pick and I've come to the conclusion that it was mandated by Mr. Blank to go get the best explosive offensive talent this draft had. That's why we tried to get up to 4 and get AJ Green, and why we did go to 6 to get Julio Jones.

This is a completely out of character move based on everything TD has preached in the past about drafting. Thinking about how they drafted in New England when he was there, and how he's drafted here since, the move is violating his basic rules. I think back to the Mike Tirico/Bill Parcells draft special a couple of days ago. Parcells was talking about the Pat White pick and said, when you go against your basic rules for drafting and get out of character with what makes you a good personnel person, it comes back to bite you.

I am not complaining that we made the move. I actually like that we are finally being aggressive to put a winning team on the field. But that doesn't mean I don't worry about the big risks that are always associated with taking big gambles like this. If you can't see the downside to this move then you are being just as blind as those who are refusing to see the upside to this move.

Absolutely not. Blanks

TD is the GM, the man has only 3 prior drafts. He didn't see the need to do anything bold. 2008, we take the QB that falls in our lap. 2009 we take Jerry after getting a weapon like Gonzalez for a 2nd. 2010, we take Weatherspoon after TD stated that they even looked at him as a Junior in case he entered. 2011, we lacked another play-making WR and were not in a position to get a top tier guy. The GM sees an opportunity to move up and he took it.

Dimitroff has set up this team to the point where there are young starters everywhere on defense and players lined up to take over positions for players who will be leaving eventually, and on top of that the team is already good. When you're in that position and you only need one or two play makers then you can afford to do what you need to get that play maker.

Ryan kept saying he wanted a player like Fitzgerald or Megatron to throw to and now he has that target, plus he still has White and Gonzalez to throw to which should help players like Douglas and Meier! With Jones the Falcons offense can go from a dink and dunk passing offense to complement the running game to a high octane passing offense with a power running game to complement it which makes the team extremely dangerous. They can score points quickly now instead of wearing down defenses slowly and hoping for the best.

Now TD can focus on adding depth to the team with the rest of the picks and fill the last major hole (LDE) in free agency when it re-opens.